Elvis & The Imposters play St. Augustine, FL on November 8, 2019

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Elvis & The Imposters play St. Augustine, FL on November 8, 2019

Post by Man out of Time »

The Just Trust US Tour continues its swing round Florida with a visit to the St. Augustine Ampitheatre on Friday November 8, 2019. The venue has an interesting history, which you can read about here. Highlights here:

The St. Augustine Amphitheatre was built in 1965 to commemorate St. Augustine’s 400th Anniversary as our nation’s oldest permanent European settlement. The 16-acre section of Anastasia State Park that makes up the amphitheatre grounds includes an old quarry where coquina rock was obtained to build early St. Augustine homes and commercial buildings, as well as the fort, Castillo de San Marcos.

In 2002, St. Johns County made the decision to invest in refurbishing the St. Augustine Amphitheatre. After 5 years of construction and a sizeable investment, the Amphitheatre is a state of the art performing arts venue with the capacity to hold up to 4100 concert goers.

The venue website has this to say about Elvis and The Imposters:

"Elvis Costello's wide-ranging recording career began in 1977 with the release of My Aim Is True in a catalogue that includes such diverse highlights as This Year's Model, Get Happy, Imperial Bedroom, King Of America, Blood & Chocolate, The Juliet Letters with the Brodsky Quartet, The River In Reverse with Allen Toussaint and Wise Up Ghost with The Roots.

The 1998 release, Painted From Memory contained the first of more than thirty songs composed with Burt Bacharach, while the 2017 box-set re-issue of Paul McCartney's Flowers In The Dirt includes 15 demo duet recordings made by McCartney and Costello prior to the release of the albums Spike and Flowers In The Dirt on which co-written hit singles, "Veronica" and "My Brave Face" were first released.

Costello previously appeared alongside Deborah Harry with composer/poet Roy Nathanson and the Jazz Passengers both in concert and on the recordings "Fire At Keaton's Bar and Grill" and "Individually Twisted" in the 90s. Elvis Costello & The Imposters widely renowned Look Now was released by Concord Records in 2018 and of which Variety said, "It's so funny to be seeing him, after all this time, making a great cake of an album that doesn't really sound that much like any of the 30 before it." The catalogue will soon include the E.P., Purse, containing songwriting collaborations with Burt Bacharach and Paul McCartney and musical settings of lyrics by Johnny Cash and Bob Dylan.

Elvis Costello, Pete Thomas and Steve Nieve are all members of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Elvis Costello is an Oscar nominated and BAFTA and Grammy award-winning composer and member of the Songwriters Hall Of Fame. Costello has received an Honorary Doctorate of Music from both the University of Liverpool and the New England Conservatory. Costello's unconventional memoir, Unfaithful Music and Disappearing Ink, was published by Blue Rider/Penguin in 2015. The New York Times review began, "Songs can be many things,” Elvis Costello writes in his new autobiography: “an education, a seduction, some solace in heartache, a valve for anger, a passport, your undoing, or even a lottery ticket. Mr. Costello’s book, Unfaithful Music & Disappearing Ink, manages to be all these things, and a pint of Guinness and a bag of chips. It’s streaked with some of the best writing – funny, strange, spiteful, anguished – we’ve ever had from an important musician." The book went on to spend several weeks on the NY Times Best Seller List."

Tickets are still available at these prices:
$104.00 – Seated Pit
$74.00 – Level 100
$64.00 – Level 200
$49.00 – Level 300, Obstructed View, and 300 General Admission

It will be interesting to see how well this show sells, alongside three other appearances in the State on this tour.

Who's going?

MOOT
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis & The Imposters play St. Augustine, FL on November 8, 2019

Post by johnfoyle »

Anyone?
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

As MOOT said "It will be interesting to see how well this show sells, alongside three other appearances in the State on this tour", particularly given his voice problems last night.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

From setlist.fm:

01. Strict Time
02. Clubland
03. Green Shirt
04. Accidents Will Happen - including Be Real
05. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
06. Watch Your Step
07. Less Than Zero
08. Suspect My Tears
09. Lovers Walk
10. Uncomplicated
11. Little Triggers
12. Watching The Detectives
13. A Face In The Crowd
14. Blood & Hot Sauce
15. unidentified
16. I'm Not Angry
17. (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
18. Burnt Sugar Is So Bitter
19. High Fidelity
20. Pump It Up
21. Everyday I Write The Book
22. Mystery Dance
23. Slow Down
24. Alison
25. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?

I hope someone can identify song #15.
verbal gymnastics

Slow down 8)
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

unidentified 8)
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.theledger.com/entertainment ... stine-show

Concert review: Costello reaches deep into songbook for St. Augustine show

Elvis Costello can still rage like that skinny bespectacled Englishman who burst onto the New Wave/punk scene 40-some years ago, and his guitar playing has never sounded sharper. Costello played a two-hour set Friday night at the St. Augustine Amphitheatre like he has something to prove.

It should come as no surprise that Elvis Costello’s songs have aged well. What was a surprise at Friday night’s show at the St. Augustine Amphitheatre was how well Costello himself has aged.

He can still rage like that skinny bespectacled Englishman who burst onto the New Wave/punk scene 40-some years ago, and his guitar playing has never sounded sharper. Costello played a two-hour set like he has something to prove — which, of course, he doesn’t.

Playing on a cool and drizzly night (well, cool by Florida standards — it was 66 degrees at showtime but much of the crowd was bundled up) Costello and the Imposters roared through 25 songs.

Trying to guess what they might play next was an exercise in futility — on the previous 10 dates on this JusTrust Tour, they had played 67 different songs, and Friday night they did a half-dozen or so that hadn’t shown up yet on the tour.

It didn’t hurt that the Imposters include Steve Nieve and Pete Thomas from the Attractions, the band that was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame with Costello. Add in bass player Davey Faragher, who has been in Costello’s band since 2002, and you’ve got an outfit that can follow anywhere Costello cares to take them.

Nieve was particularly good Friday night, jumping from grand piano to electric piano to organ to synthesizer, often on the same song. The setlist leaned heavily on the first handful of albums Costello released. The band was eight songs into the show before they played a song released after 1981.

So it was kind of unexpected when “Blood & Hot Sauce,” a song that hasn’t even been released yet, was a highlight of the evening. The song, part of a musical, “Face in the Crowd,” that’s due next year, features some stinging lyrics about the American political climate and put backup singers Kitten Kuroi and Briana Lee into a well-deserved spotlight. Costello introduced it as “a campaign song for anybody who needs it.”

As the show wound down — the band never left the stage, so technically there were no encores — they turned up the heat for high-energy versions of “Pump it Up,” “Everyday I Write the Book, “Mystery Dance,” the old Larry Williams/Beatles tune “Slow Down” and a version of “Alison” that briefly morphed into the Motown classic “I’m Gonna Make You Love Me” before wrapping up with one that’s never seemed more timely — ”(What’s So Funny ’Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding.” The songs, like Costello himself, haven’t lost a step.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/elvis-co ... d5d14.html
Song #15: I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustine (Bob Dylan cover)
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
verbal gymnastics

sweetest punch wrote:https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/elvis-co ... d5d14.html
Song #15: I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustine (Bob Dylan cover)
Wow!
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Spotted by John Foyle, from November 8:

https://www.facebook.com/tonevendor/pho ... 203312916/
Forgive me, but it isn’t every day that #elviscostello drops by the shop to pick up some new tunes, so I could not resist asking for this photo. He couldn’t have been more gracious. Catch him at The Amp St. Augustine tonight!

verbal gymnastics

Looks like Elvis is a bit distracted!