Elvis & The Imposters play Usher Hall, Edinburgh, March 10, 2020

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Elvis & The Imposters play Usher Hall, Edinburgh, March 10, 2020

Post by Man out of Time »

The JustTrust UK 2020 Tour will reach the Usher Hall in Edinburgh on Tuesday March 10 2020. This is Elvis's third show at the Usher Hall, having played there solo in 2014 and with The Imposters in 2005.

As a teaser for the UK tour, Elvis tweeted a series of images on Twitter which were clues to the venues that he would be playing on the tour. For Edinburgh he tweeted this image of the 1960 Roger Corman directed film adaptation of Edgar Allan Poe's gothic novel, the Fall of the House of Usher.
The Fall of The House of Usher
The Fall of The House of Usher
08.jpg (141.58 KiB) Viewed 30526 times
In a review of the album Armed Forces, published in the Cal Poly San Luis Obispo Mustang Daily (catchy title), Joe Stein described the song ''Green Shirt'' as - "an eerie Vincent Price-like parable about a temptress and her blouse". Others may have a different interpretation.

Who's going to the Edinburgh show?

MOOT
krm

Re: Elvis & The Imposters play Usher Hall, Edinburgh, March 10, 2020

Post by krm »

I plan to be there.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

KRM wrote
I plan to be there
Party time in Edinburgh !! :lol: :wink:
krm

Post by krm »

sulky lad wrote:KRM wrote
I plan to be there
Party time in Edinburgh !! :lol: :wink:
I know a good place for a beer after the show.....
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

KRM wrote
I know a good place for a beer after the show.....
:shock: :oops:
Man out of Time

krm wrote: I know a good place for a beer after the show.....
Does it have a cellar?

MOOT
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

IMHO the most majestic night of the tour so far - we got Photographs Can Lie, Uncomplicated/ Shotgun, probably the best Detectives I’ve seen in decades with Elvis playing a phenomenal solo before rapping the lyrics to Invisible Lady, , hi energy from the band and the audience and just over 2 hours. Another surprise was American Gangster Time with a vicious bass line driving it and so building where fir the first time for many moons, I wasn’t on tenterhooks for Elvis’ voice . He’s not shown any signs of vocal issues and his falsetto used slightly more here than in Blackpool had been spot on. Nicola and I were discussing afterwards what turns a good gig into a great one and we couldn’t define what dies it but tonight was damned magnificent- which is one of the reasons for following Elvis so much to try and capture the lightening when it strikes! Really, really superb tonight, thanks a Elvis and the band.
Of course all this is also in the context of the horrendous journey many of us experienced trying to get to Edinburgh in the first place ( or to get home in Claire’s case). The gang of us who attended the Blackpool show were all leaving Blackpool at slightly staggered times to either head by train to Edinburgh or to return South but at around 8:30 am Preston station was closed due to a fire alarm and all trains through this main line station were suspended or cancelled. Those of us leaving later were forewarned by Ronnie who was heading to an airport in the South and so we all headed to Blackpool station where no-one on duty could give any clear indication of what was happening. We then took a taxi to Preston and we’re confronted by a sizeable Crowd all milling around again with no information about any resumption of train services. We were left with the Orion if taking a taxi to Lancaster or a ta into Blackpool and getting into my car dvd me driving us to Edinburgh when the platforms were opened and we awaited any train. We caught one to Glasgow and hopped across to Edinburgh on a second train whilst others who had gone to Lancaster travelled to Carlisle and then caught a direct train to Edinburgh and beat us by 5 minutes. I think we finally pulled into Edinburgh at 16:35 so we’d bern on the rail since 10:20. A magnificent gig made us all forget our travel woes and everyone aiming to go to the gig got here OK as far as I’m
aware!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Ask Elvis for a bus ride!!
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

bronxapostle wrote:Ask Elvis for a bus ride!!
Yeah, you guys deserve at least a seat on that bus, if not a bed.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Forgot to mention we met Pete and Elvis after the show where several members failed to ask Pete to get them in to the Mudchester ( compliments to ColinTB) gig and we adjourned to the Shakespeare pub where we were eventually invited by Ian Prowse to join his entourage. Sadly we soon were kicked out by the pub and none of us felt inclined to make our way to the last scene of the crime in 2018 after Elvis’ show where we inadvertently went to a gay/transvestite bar just next door to the playhouse and had a riotous time whilst KRM polished the tables ! :shock:
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/182 ... edinburgh/

Music review: Elvis Costello & The Imposters at the Usher Hall, Edinburgh
Keith Bruce
four stars

ALMOST 40 years ago, vocal trio Afrodiziak were, alongside a horn section, an extra ingredient of the expanded line-up of The Attractions for Elvis Costello’s Punch the Clock album. At 65 years old the canny Mr C has again added two fine backing singers, Kitten Kurol and Briana Lee, to his touring group and they are now more essential support for his own lead vocal. Initially, in fact, we could have heard rather more of them in what was a ropey sound mix for Strict Time and Clubland, two tracks from 1981’s Trust album, which this “Just Trust” tour is emphatically not showcasing, according to the man himself.

It was on songs recorded with Kurol and Lee, Suspect My Tears and Burnt Sugar Is So Bitter, from the Grammy Award-winning 2018 set, Look Now, that they came into their own, setting the template for the triumphant final third of a full two hours of music. A soulful sequence from Burnt Sugar, through Get Happy!’s High Fidelity, and Trust’s Whisper to a Scream to Punch the Clock’s Everyday I Write the Book (as recently heard at the Lyceum next door in hit theatre show Pride & Prejudice) was when the evening really began to soar.

Costello ranged widely over his back catalogue, with artwork projected above the band identifying some tracks for the benefit of the uninitiated, and also including Annabel Jankel’s acclaimed animated video for early hit Accidents Will Happen. The set list threw in some curve balls, following melodic moments with more brutal material like Blood and Chocolate’s Uncomplicated, and a terrific extended dub-plate of Watching the Detectives.

There was political subtext to be found too, running through Momofuku’s American Gangster Time to Shipbuilding (when Costello’s vocals only really found their correct pitch off-mike at the end) and the closing sequence’s Oliver’s Army and (What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love & Understanding.

A little taster of his latest tilt at musical theatre, with the title song from the Broadway-bound Face in the Crowd, was prefaced by a barbed line about being thought a Walter Mitty character in those ambitions, while the back stage imagery took on a bleaker tone in the show’s closing moments, underlining the darker message in the poppiest songs.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Setlist : -
1. Strict Time
2. Clubland
3. Green Shirt
4. Accidents Will Happen
5. Watch Your Step
6. The Look Of Love - Photographs Can Lie
7. (I Don’t Want To Go To) Chelsea
8. Suspect My Tears
9. Uncomplicated - Shotgun
10. American Gangster Time
11. Watching The Detectives- Invisible Lady
12. Good Year For The Roses- EC on piano
13. A Face In The Crowd - EC on piano
14. The Greatest Love - EC on piano
15. Burnt Sugar Is So Bitter
16. High Fidelity
17. From A Whisper To A Scream
18. Alison - I’m Gonna Make You Love Me
19. Everyday I Write The Book- Mr. Big Stuff - The End Of The Road
20. Pump It Up
21. Shipbuilding
22. Oliver’s Army
23. (What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding
Man out of Time

sulky lad wrote:Setlist : -

19. Everyday I Write The Book- Mr. Big Stuff - The End Of The Road
I am not familiar with The End Of The Road. Wikipedia lists "End Of The Road" as a song by Boyz II Men, which seems such an unlikely cover.

"Keep RIght On To The End Of The Road" seems more likely - a song written by Scot, Sir Harry Lauder and made popular by Kenneth McKellar amongst others. It also appears to be the club anthem of Birmingham City FC.

On the Wiki, Zmuda has suggested that the song snippet was from "The End Of Our Road", which Wikipedia says was a hit for Gladys Knight and The Pips.

So which, if any, of these do we think Elvis sampled last night?

MOOT
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Sometimes Elvis sings “the End OfThe Road” and sometime”We’ve Come To TheEnd Of The Road”. I’m
Not sure if we’ve discussed this elsewhere but I think the consensus was that it was the Gladys Knight song although I read somewhere that another Mowtown legend was responsible for the original ( Marvin Gaye?)
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Gladys Knight did the original, but EC played Marvin Gaye's version on the radio in 1983 and included it in his Vanity Fair list in 2000. The Temptations recorded it too.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Once again thanks ANCT ! :D
Man out of Time

And No Coffee Table wrote:Gladys Knight did the original, but EC played Marvin Gaye's version on the radio in 1983 and included it in his Vanity Fair list in 2000. The Temptations recorded it too.
Thanks too from me ANCT. That helps me understand why Zmuda posted this to the Wiki as "The End Of Our Road". Thanks as ever to Sulky Lad for his diligence in listing snippets like this one.

MOOT
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Sorry my guys here and Marvin too....but this GLADYS version is the SHIZZ!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tpMHDbJO7sU
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

Man out of Time wrote:
And No Coffee Table wrote:Gladys Knight did the original, but EC played Marvin Gaye's version on the radio in 1983 and included it in his Vanity Fair list in 2000. The Temptations recorded it too.
Thanks too from me ANCT. That helps me understand why Zmuda posted this to the Wiki as "The End Of Our Road".

MOOT

:-) ... ANCT had it sussed earlier I think. I just copied it from Blackpool.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.godisinthetvzine.co.uk/2020/ ... 10-3-2020/

ELVIS COSTELLO AND THE IMPOSTERS / IAN PROWSE – USHER HALL, EDINBURGH, 10/03/2020
By Ed Jupp · On March 12, 2020

Q: What’s the definition of an awesome gig?

Well, there’s probably lots of answers to that, but going home afterwards in a state of air-punching euphoria, and waking up with a nice glow the morning after are pretty good answers.

Ian Prowse was personally chosen as the support for the whole tour by Elvis Costello himself (see here for an interview with Ian Prowse), and it must be said that Prowse’s set on its own would have been worth the journey, and that it was a perfectly-picked support.

Opening with ‘Fireworks,’ the title track of the first album he made, as frontman of Pele, it’s clear that Prowse has an enthusiastic audience, and he truly holds them in the palm of his hand for his half-hour set. He’s a natural raconteur and whilst his thirty year career has many highlights (the aforementioned Pele, Amsterdam and solo), we get an edited highlights including ‘Here I Lie‘, from last year’s album of the same name, ‘Home‘ and finishing with his greatest song ‘Does This Train Stop On Merseyside?.’ He dedicates this to those who refuse to buy The Sun newspaper, like a true Liverpudlian. You sense that even those who have never heard his music before are seriously impressed; borne out by the fact that he does very brisk business selling his back catalogue in person after his set and after the gig. Utterly deserved.

What can you say about Elvis Costello? As someone who emerged in the punk explosion of the second half of the seventies, he’s never stopped evolving and indeed still leaves many of his then-contemporaries standing (not for him flogging butter, making lute albums or death). He’s made over thirty albums, produced the likes of the Specials and the Pogues, collaborated with artists as diverse as the Brodsky Quartet, Roots and Allen Toussaint, and written songs with Carole King and Burt Bacharach. Not too shabby.

He and the Imposters deliver a setlist that is truly career-spanning, and little short of amazing. While I would place 1981’s Trust LP fairly low down on my ranking of Costello’s oeuvre, he opens with ‘Strict Time‘ from that album, and follows it with ‘Clubland‘ and not long after gives us ‘Watch Your Step.’ Maybe time to reconsider it? The Imposters, particularly the wonderful piano work of Steve Nieve show that they are a proper band, and certainly not just a backing group.

Most recent album Look Now gives us ‘Burnt Sugar Is So Bitter‘ and ‘Suspect My Tears‘ but he also reaches back to his debut, My Aim Is True, for ‘Alison.’ It’s a stunning performance that includes a number of bona fide hits, including ‘Chelsea,’ ‘Watching The Detectives‘ and ‘High Fidelity.’ These songs still pack a punch forty years on. And with an encore that includes a particularly moving version of ‘Shipbuilding,’ a re-worked but still awesome ‘Oliver’s Army‘ and finally ‘What’s So Funny ‘Bout Peace, Love and Understanding?’

Few would dismiss Costello’s back catalogue, but do not underestimate his ability to put on a live show in 2020.

What’s the definition of an awesome gig?