Elvis & The Imposters play Royal Concert Hall, Nottingham, March 2, 2020

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Elvis & The Imposters play Royal Concert Hall, Nottingham, March 2, 2020

Post by Man out of Time »

The JustTrust UK 2020 tour will arrive in Nottingham at the expansive Royal Concert Hall on March 2, 2020. This will be the fourth Imposters' show at the venue, and Elvis's seventh show there.

In promoting the UK Tour, Elvis "tweeted" a series of images to serve as clues to the tour venues. This clue pointed to Nottingham:
By a bicycle factory as they sounded the siren
By a bicycle factory as they sounded the siren
The All Steel Bicycle.jpg (58.27 KiB) Viewed 36053 times
The Raleigh bicycle factory in Nottingham also features in the song "American Without Tears".

Who is going to this show?

MOOT
verbal gymnastics

Re: Elvis & The Imposters play Royal Concert Hall, Nottingham, March 2, 2020

Post by verbal gymnastics »

As did the line “I’m the Sheriff of Nottingham and this is Little John” in case the bicycle factory wasn’t enough of a clue!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I'll be there !
johnanderson

Post by johnanderson »

I will too.

If anyone else needs any encouragement, The Royal Concert Hall don’t charge any rip off fees, if you book directly with them.
Pars

Post by Pars »

I'll be there ( and Sheffield ) with her indoors, 21 year old lad ( who is obsessed with Blood & Chocolate ) and two friends who attended their first ever EC gig with us last time he played this venue.Very pleased but surprised they were interested in view of the atrocious sound last time. Delighted that Ian Prowse has been announced as the support act. Maybe EC will join him , or vice versa , for The Searchers " Don't Throw Your Love Away " which they recorded together in 2008.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

https://www.nottinghampost.com/whats-on ... id-3791140

'One of the more frightening shows I’d ever played' - Elvis Costello reflects on his last visit to Nottingham
'I had literally no idea whether I could get from beginning to end'

By Sean Hewitt

June 15, 2018, is was not a night that Elvis Costello will forget in a hurry. He was opening his UK tour at Nottingham’s Royal Concert Hall, scene of several triumphant performances in the past. But this time something wasn’t right.

Having just had a (successful) cancer operation, he’d taken a short break before returning to the fray. As the gig progressed, however, he realised he hadn’t given himself enough time to recover.

“To be completely honest with you I was trying to keep this whole matter – as I think is my right – completely to myself,” he tells me on the phone from Vancouver, where he lives with his wife, pianist and singer Diana Krall, and their two sons.

“Doctors’ advice was that this one surgery would take care of the matter and it did indeed.

“The truth of it was I miscalculated how long it would take me to get my strength back and the Nottingham show – which was the opening night of that run – was one of the more frightening shows I’d ever played because I had literally no idea whether I could get from beginning to end.

“It was a mortifying, terrifying experience and if anybody thought less of me for my performance that night I wouldn’t be surprised because it surprised me that I completed it.”

In the immediate aftermath, though, he regarded it as a one-off.

“About a week later I played a show in Edinburgh and I thought ‘Oh – now my strength has returned’ . The very next night in Newcastle, my strength completely left me in the middle of the show and it was at that point I made plans to curtail the tour and take the rest and regain my strength.

“It was just a matter of mistimed recovery not ill health. Nothing else has been as difficult as that first show in Nottingham.”

Now he’s determined to give a great performance when he brings his Just Trust tour to the Royal Concert Hall on March 2.

“It matters a lot emotionally to me. I recently played a show at Porchester just outside of New York, which was the venue I played the night before I received my cancer diagnosis so you can imagine how much it meant to me to stand on that stage again and have the best night imaginable.

“So if we are not able to have the best show you’ve ever seen in Nottingham on that night it won’t be anything to do with my lack of will to get there because when you chase away the shadows from these experiences that we all have – I’m not unique in having this, sadly, I have friends who’ve gone through much worse, some of whom are no longer with us – but going back to the place where something particularly difficult happened is extremely good for your morale and your soul, to get back and do what you do at the highest level.”

And he warns: “People seeking evidence of my frailty should attempt to do what I do and see how long they stay on their feet.”

Despite the traumatic bout of ill health, at 65 Costello is hardly taking things easy. In a career spanning 42 years, he’s released more than 30 albums, produced records for other artists, written with artists including Paul McCartney, Burt Bacharach, Bob Dylan and Carole King and written pieces for string quartet, soundtracks and orchestral ballet music, as well as writing an acclaimed memoir, 2015’s Unfaithful Music & Disappearing Ink.

He even won a Grammy for the audiobook – and he was back in the limelight on Sunday night when he took the Grammy for Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album for his magnificent 2018 record Look Now.

An elaborate, sophisticated album – featuring new collaborations with Bacharach and King, the powerful backing of his backing band The Imposters and his own lush orchestrations – Look Now combines the lavish melodicism of past classics like Imperial Bedroom with fresh maturity and a novel run of songs from female perspectives.

“I went into the studio with a very clear idea of what I wanted. We’d made great preparations for it – not extensive rehearsals, just prepared how it would be. I’d orchestrated a lot of the record in advance.

I knew the orchestrations were going to be key parts of the performance so when the band started to play we knew exactly how powerfully they should play, how much space they should take up, where they should leave spaces so that it didn’t become a confusing picture.

“Now, of course, I couldn’t have achieved that earlier – I wouldn’t have had the skills or the insight how to do it – but I love the records I made when I was making a mess. They’re just part of the process of learning.

“Now, if I were to record tomorrow, I’d almost certainly go in with the opposite approach to Look Now and just turn the machine on and start playing because you don’t want to repeat anything.

“It’s not like I’m gradually trying to become sophisticated and organised. Those songs – I know because I’d attempted to record a couple of them before – on Look Now would not benefit from a brutal or one-take kind of approach. They just wouldn’t. They weren’t that kind of song.

“And that’s why there’s a future, you know, because nothing is ever the last word on music. Music goes on and on, it resonates on and if it’s any good at all it sticks in the heart, in the mind, in the memory.”

The shows are where his mind is now. The Imposters feature keyboard player Steve Nieve and drummer Pete Thomas from The Attractions plus bassist Davey Faragher and singers Briana Lee and Kitten Kuroi. He thinks it’s the best band he’s ever had.

“Three of us have worked together for the best part of 40 years and everything we do is exciting – our new record, the concerts – and we have great cohorts in Davey Faragher, who has now played with us 20 years nearly, and Kitten and Brianne, who are singing with us, have been singing with us for about three years.

A couple of times I’ve just gone into something and I’ve just looked to Kitten and Brianna and they know from the look in my eye what I’m about to do. And that makes the feeling of it so thrilling because we suddenly pull an arrangement out of thin air.

“Other times we’ll really work on the vocal parts – vocal arrangements being something that were completely absent from the Attractions’ live performances but a very big feature of albums like Armed Forces and Imperial Bedroom and a few others – so to have that ability is really changing everything and gives us so much more of a range of songs to draw from.”

With a vast range of songs rehearsed and ready to go, he frequently changes the setlist, adapting to different venues.

“Different songs can take you different places. Recently, we were in St Augustine in Florida where the temptation to learn I Dreamed I Saw St Augustine by Bob Dylan to play it only that night on the tour was just too great,

“Whether it mattered to anybody that we did that I don’t know but that’s maybe an extreme example of reacting to the moment.

“I haven’t counted how many songs [we know] but I know I’ve just sent a list of another ten to everybody to consider that we maybe listen to and think about how we would play that can make the combinations a little bit more unique for this UK run.

“You’re coming to hear somebody do something in the moment which is what makes it thrilling. It makes it exciting for us and hopefully for the audience. The knowledge of the songs means we can change maybe six songs a night and still we’re not risking the whole thing seeming incoherent.”

He adds: “People remark on the cost of tickets for modern concerts. Try buying a ticket for a West End show! Try buying a ticket for a football match and tell me that we’re expensive!

“It costs this much to do what we do well. We’re trying to put on something that’s worth everybody’s time. If some people can’t make it, I’m sorry that we can’t do it on this occasion – we’ll find a way to reach you some other way another time... Maybe I’ll come with my banjo and then I won’t need anybody to help me.”

Despite the rise of streaming hitting record sales, he is determined to follow his own path – whether that means playing music from a vast range of music, simply rocking out with the band or making expensive records like Look Now.

He says he has no idea whether there’s a future for albums in the classic sense.

“I’m not trying to be glib or superior about this but really the answer to a lot of questions that I field about this area of enquiry is that those are really questions about the business pages of the newspaper, not the arts pages.

“I’m in the art of making music. Thankfully, gratefully, I have an occupation of performing the music that I have written but I am vocationally a musician.

If it were all to stop and I were prevented from doing anything for any reason I would remain in my imagination... the people who have put an instrument down in life and gone on to seek another occupation remain musicians in their imagination for the rest of their lives in most cases.

“I can’t tell you the future except that we’ll be in Nottingham!”

Elvis Costello & The Imposters, supported by Ian Prowse, Royal Concert Hall, March 2. Tickets £52.50-£97.50, trch.co.uk, 0115 989 5555.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

“I haven’t counted how many songs [we know] but I know I’ve just sent a list of another ten to everybody to consider that we maybe listen to and think about how we would play that can make the combinations a little bit more unique for this UK run.
:D :D :D
migdd

Post by migdd »

johnfoyle wrote:
Envious.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

migdd wrote:
johnfoyle wrote:
Envious.

I smell FISN N CHIP PAPER around the bend! :D
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

bronxapostle wrote:
migdd wrote:
johnfoyle wrote:
Envious.

I smell FISN N CHIP PAPER around the bend! :D
That's one of the few I've never heard from Trust. it would be amazing and spell-binding to hear that song.
I was surprised Big Sister's Clothes didn't get an outing the U.S. It occasionally was sung as closer to the main set before encores back in the day.
verbal gymnastics

I wonder if Pretty Words will make an appearance. I was privileged to see them play it on the Songbook tour when Pete told me Elvis called it that afternoon. It was the first time in 31 years that they’d played it 8)
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Git here early and snagged a poster courtesy of the chap who got me one in Nottingham in 2018 !! I’ve always done well with posters here it might be because Midlanders aren’t hot with their letters :shock:
I’m glad Mrs Sulky doesn’t read this :wink:
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

Steve is in the pub we’re in opposite the venue- The Stage.
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

Photographs Can Lie!
Radio Radio!!
Suspect My Tears!!!
Just About Glad!!!!
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

verbal gymnastics wrote:I wonder if Pretty Words will make an appearance. I was privileged to see them play it on the Songbook tour when Pete told me Elvis called it that afternoon. It was the first time in 31 years that they’d played it 8)
I'd love that one time myself
Last edited by bronxapostle on Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Paulwdixonphotography@pdicko67·
#elviscostelloAnd a few quick ones straight off camera whilst the legend is still on stage...@ElvisCostelloat@RoyalNottinghamthis evening. Full edits tomorrow in@nottslive@NottsNightOut

https://twitter.com/pdicko67/status/123 ... 71745?s=20

Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

Elmo seems to be going flashy with the wardrobe on this tour. I like it.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I can’t overrate the brave way Elvis and the Imposters tackled American Without Tears last night and turned it into a vocal tour de force. He played the piano in his old way but even that had nuances that one doesn't expect from him. As before he doesn’t seem to have any issues with louder songs and although we didn’t get the amazing sequence of Beyond Belief, You Belong To Me, High Fidelity and From A Whisper To A Scream, as we had at Southampton, the combination of the two last songs here still were electric. The audience only really got in their feet when I hit up along with the young lady from the Facebook page who took some surreptitious photos( I was strongly told “no flash photography or filming tonight” by an usherette as I came in but I don’t think she said anything about any other devices :shock: )
The girls were as dynamic as ever but their energy is always matched by their vocal dexterity and I love Briana’s natural sense of harmony when she takes the lower line from Kitten - I’m absolutely convinced of their worth in this entourage where they are part of the team and not just session singers like I always felt Afrodiziac were back in the days “when I was just a boy and not a man ! “
I’ll post the setlist once I’ve reached Sunderland and had a chance to review my recollections more thoroughly - longest journey of the tour for me to drive today - nice to see Extreme Honey at Nottingham - though not too many others that I knew or who introduced themselves!
bobbydriver

Post by bobbydriver »

Another great show, and Elvis seemed to be enjoying himself a lot more than he did last time (and now we know why)

Just About Glad was absolutely brilliant with the 3 part backing vocals - the first time with the band since 2013 according to the wiki? Makes me wonder why it was never a single. Probably spoilt for choice on Brutal Youth to be fair

On stage at 20:30 and finished at 22:18 - which was a slight disappointment as they were curfewed till 22:30. Elvis did look knackered though (hence he seemed quite happy to throw Shipbuilding in as an audience request in the middle of the encore). I guess he skipped a piano song, having done 3 on the past 2 dates, only 2 tonight (American Without Tears and Roses) and maybe one other

I can also confirm that Davey was wearing metallic nail varnish and not finger picks. I remember him from his Cracker days wearing a dress on stage, so he's toned it down a lot :D

This about right? I've a feeling I missed one

Strict Time
Clubland
Green Shirt
Accidents Will Happen
Watch Your Step
Just About Glad
(I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
Photographs Can Lie
Watching The Detectives
American Without Tears
Good Year For The Roses
Burnt Sugar Is So Bitter
Radio Radio
High Fidelity
From A Whisper To A Scream
Alison
Shipbuilding
Everyday I Write The Book
Pump It Up
Oliver's Army
(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
verbal gymnastics

When he played American Without Tears at Southampton he played it with his guitar around the old fashioned microphone.

I think it'll be retired for the tour now - unless he wants to do it acapella given that he's done it with guitar and on piano. :lol:
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

VG, I think you're right - if he was going to play this anywhere it would be at Southampton and Nottingham.
A pity since I love the song.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.google.be/amp/s/www.notting ... 909089.amp

Elvis Costello returns to 'the scene of the crime' with a lot to prove - Nottingham gig review and photos
Two years ago he delivered a below-par performance at the Royal Concert Hall

Returning to what he called "the scene of the crime" nearly two years after a "terrifying", below-par performance here sparked a temporary retreat from the stage while he recovered from a cancer operation, Elvis Costello had a lot to prove.

I won't waste any time: he proved it. This was Costello at (nearly) full power, blasting through a massive cross-section of material from more than four decades and over 30 albums.

From the off, this was a different proposition from 2018. His most recent album, the Grammy-winning Look Now, is his best for years. But the tour is called "Just Trust" and Costello says that just means that audiences should "just trust" The Imposters to deliver the best show possible. Then again, Trust is also the title of an often-overlooked 1981 album of his. Eccentrically, he played more songs from that than from Look Now.

Indeed, he started off with two from Trust. Strict Time, with its ominously nagging rhythms, followed by a strident Clubland before ace keyboards man Steve Nieve triggered a pounding electronic pulse as the spine of a brilliant Green Shirt.

Costello, in a glittery black jacket, dominated an impressively lit stage flicking between blues, greens and reds of almost neon intensity. Three screens projected graphics, snatches of his old music videos and animated fragments of song lyrics. It all looked very impressive.

It sounded even better. As well as Nieve's constant invention, the brilliance of Pete Thomas's drums and the implacable bass of Davey Faragher were a hefty foundation for dynamite backing singers Kitten Kuroi and Briana Lee.

The gig really took flight with another Trust number, a reworked Watch Your Step, on which Costello's singing elicited huge cheers. His voice was impressive on the more dramatic, expressive and loud passages, which made the gig's one significant flaw - his struggle with many quieter verses - all the more puzzling. It was probably just a sore throat. The overwhelming power still won out.

He delivered an impressive American Without Tears - with its namedrops for the Sheriff of Nottingham and Little John - and Good Year For The Roses from the piano. But the rest of the time he sparked mayhem on electric guitar.

(I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea and Watching The Detectives were breathtaking, showcasing the relentlessness and flexibility of this fierce band. Just About Glad shook the place down, while the wonderful newer songs showed his range: Photographs Can Lie, a Costello lyric set to a melody by Burt Bacharach, sounded like a classic from a bygone era. EC original Suspect My Tears wasn't far behind. Also great was Burnt Sugar Is So Bitter, written with Carole King.

Kuroi and Lee lit up From A Whisper To A Scream, utterly transforming the bits originally performed by Squeeze's Glenn Tilbrook.

We also got an angry, vital Radio Radio, an uplifting High Fidelity, a fragile Alison, a spine-tingling Everyday I Write The Book, a pile-driving Pump It Up, an Oliver's Army including an entire new verse nervily referencing Enniskillen and, to close, a blazing version of Nick Lowe's (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding. And he did Shipbuilding, overcoming the uncertainties of his voice by stepping away from the microphone to sing unamplified for an eerily heartbreaking coda.

Enormous variety, then, even without any of his string quartet music, ballet scores or jazz experiments. Reportedly, his next project is a Broadway musical. Presumably, he'll still keep rocking. On this form, he's welcome any time.

Last edited by sweetest punch on Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
bobbydriver

Post by bobbydriver »

bobbydriver wrote:
Yep - I missed Suspect My Tears. I think the Setlist.fm is about right now
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/elvis-co ... 9a3c5.html
johnanderson

Post by johnanderson »

Elvis’ voice was much better last night than it was in Liverpool. Just about glad and American without tears were most welcome. Two of my all time favourite songs.

There was a nice snippet of Subterranean Homesick Blues in the middle of an electrifying Pump it up.

On a side note, I’m collecting Labour politicians. Angela Eagle was in front of me in the queue for Liverpool and I bumped into Alan Johnson in Nottingham. Next stop for me is Sheffield, surely a good bet for a Labour Party dignitary or two.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

bobbydriver wrote:
bobbydriver wrote:
Yep - I missed Suspect My Tears. I think the Setlist.fm is about right now
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/elvis-co ... 9a3c5.html
Setlist

Strict Time
Clubland
Green Shirt
Accidents will happen
Watch Your Step
Just About Glad
Photographs Can Lie
(I Don't Want to Go to) Chelsea
Watching the Detectives
American Without Tears
A Good Year for the Roses
Suspect My Tears
Burnt Sugar Is So Bitter
Radio Radio
High Fidelity
From a Whisper to a Scream
Everyday I Write the Book
Alison - including I'm Gonna Make You Love Me
Shipbuilding
Pump It Up
Olivers Army
(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.