Elvis receives Lifetime Achievement Honor from Americana Music Association, Sept 11 2019

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Elvis receives Lifetime Achievement Honor from Americana Music Association, Sept 11 2019

Post by sweetest punch »

https://variety.com/2019/music/news/ame ... 203300692/

Americana Awards Set Elvis Costello, Others for Lifetime Honors
This year's tributees include Delbert McClinton, Maria Muldaur, Rhiannon Giddens, Felice and Boudleaux Bryant, and (belatedly) Mavis Staples.

The Americana Music Association has set Elvis Costello, Maria Muldaur, Delbert McClinton and the songwriting team of Felice and Boudleaux Bryant for its lifetime achievement honors at the org’s annual awards show Sept. 11 at the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville.

Additionally, Mavis Staples, who won a lifetime achievement award in 2007 but was unable to appear at the time, will be celebrated as she attends the Americana Honors & Awards for the first time.

These honorees join the already announced Rhiannon Giddens and the late Frank Johnson, who’ll be dually awarded with the Legacy of Americana Award, being given out for the first time in conjunction with the National Museum of African American Music.

Staples and Giddens have an unusual distinction at the 18th annual show: besides being given these lifetime awards (with Staples showing up to belatedly accept hers 12 years after it was awarded), they’re competing against one another in the contemporary category of artist of the year, where Brandi Carlile and Kacey Musgraves are the other two nominees. This marks the first time the top artist category has had a slate of exclusively female contenders.

The Americana Honors & Awards is the rare awards show where nearly as much time is devoted to lifetime achievement honors as to the purely contemporary kudos, with a house band led by Buddy Miller typically backing up the veteran honorees in performance, in a show usually aired on NPR, AXS, CMT and PBS’ “Austin City Limits.” (Broadcast details for 2019 have not yet been announced.)

“We are beyond humbled to honor this group of incredibly venerable musicians,” said the Americana Music Association’s executive director, Jed Hilly. “All of these artists are luminaries in their own right and have helped to build a perennial foundation for Americana music to prosper as an art form today. Our community looks forward to welcoming them with open arms on our biggest night of the year in September.”

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame member Costello — who just wrapped up a co-headining tour with Blondie, and will be back out on the road in the fall — is getting the lifetime achievement award for songwriting. He may have fewer mixed feelings about receiving plaudits from the Americana Association than he notably did about recently being set to receive an MBE in his native England.

Texas blues-rocker McClinton’s honor comes in the performance category. Muldaur is getting the Americana Trailblazer Award for her work going back to her time as part of the folk group Jim Kweskin & the Jug Band in the 1960s, prior to her successful solo career as a pop artist in the ’70s. Being posthumously awarded the 2019 President’s Award is the husband-and-wife team of Felice and Boudleaux Bryant, whose catalog of thousands of songs, including “All I Have to Do is Dream” and “Bye Bye Love,” already won them induction into the Songwriters Hall of Fame and the Country Music Hall of Fame.

Staples will be re-recognized, in person this time, as the winner of the Spirit of Americana Free Speech Award, just one of many kudos she picked up on the way to receiving a Kennedy Center honor. Giddens’ notoriety encompasses everything from a role on “Nashville” to having recently formed the group Our Native Daughters with three other black female artists to highlight the legacy of slave narratives in song. Giddens is being named alongside the late Johnson, a pioneering folk singer whose Antebellum-era work inspired hers.

The Sept. 11 awards show at the Ryman marks the start of the annual Americanafest, which features seminars by day and showcases in Nashville’s clubs and theaters by night, running through Sept. 15.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Re: Elvis receives Lifetime Achievement Honor from Americana Music Association

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/joh ... 35960.html

John Prine, Elvis Costello, Brandi Carlile to Perform at 2019 Americana Honors

The 18th annual Americana Honors & Awards have announced the performing lineup for the September 11th ceremony. A pool of veterans and up-and-coming artists, it’s a particularly mixed group that mirrors the diversity of this year’s nominees.

John Prine, Elvis Costello, Brandi Carlile, Delbert McClinton, and Mavis Staples are all set to perform, along with new names like Jade Bird, Erin Rae, the War and Treaty, and Yola. Other performers include Rhiannon Giddens, Our Native Daughters, I’m With Her, Mark Erelli, Ruston Kelly, Lori McKenna, Maria Muldaur, J.S. Ondara, and Amanda Shires. A press release announcing the lineup also teased “surprise guests.”

The kickoff to the 2019 AmericanaFest, held September 11th through 15th at venues around Nashville, the Americana Honors & Awards will be taped for an Austin City Limits special slated to air on PBS on November 23rd.

U.K. songwriter Costello and bluesman McClinton will each receive lifetime achievement honors at the awards, along with Muldaur and Felice and Boudleaux Bryant. The Milk Carton Kids, the Americana duo of Kenneth Pattengale and Joey Ryan, return to host the ceremonies.

Brandi Carlile, Rhiannon Giddens, Kacey Musgraves, and Mavis Staples are up for Artist of the Year. To the Sunset (Amanda Shires), The Tree (Lori McKenna), The Tree of Forgiveness (John Prine), and Walk Through Fire (Yola) compete for Album of the Year.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

It would be great if Elvis duetted with any of these!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

verbal gymnastics wrote:It would be great if Elvis duetted with any of these!
Brandi, for sure, will share the stage with Elvis at some point. I hope.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

"A live video stream of the 2019 Honors & Awards show will be webcast via NPRMusic.org, while live audio simulcasts of the show will be available via SiriusXM’s Outlaw Country, and on Nashville area terrestrial radio stations: WRLT (100.1 FM), WSM (650 AM) and WMOT (89.5 FM)."

https://americanamusic.org/news/america ... nd-sept-11
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

And No Coffee Table wrote:"A live video stream of the 2019 Honors & Awards show will be webcast via NPRMusic.org, while live audio simulcasts of the show will be available via SiriusXM’s Outlaw Country, and on Nashville area terrestrial radio stations: WRLT (100.1 FM), WSM (650 AM) and WMOT (89.5 FM)."

https://americanamusic.org/news/america ... nd-sept-11
Awesome! The PBS broadcast in November will likely be edited and incomplete. This will give us all the performances.
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Dave Paulson, writing in the Nashville Tennesseean has this preview, published on August 13, 2019:

"Elvis Costello, more to receive Americana Lifetime Achievement Awards

The Americana scene boasts a wide musical umbrella, and that will be on full display at this year's Americana Honors and Awards show.

On Tuesday, the Americana Music Association revealed its 2019 Lifetime Achievement Award recipients. The list includes Elvis Costello, Mavis Staples, Delbert McClinton, Maria Muldaur and Felice and Boudleaux Bryant.

Genre-hopping rocker Costello has embraced country and folk music throughout his career, including the Americana albums "Secret, Profane & Sugarcane" and "National Ransom," and his 1981 country collection "Almost Blue."

Staples' honor is actually a belated celebration: She was named the 2007 recipient of the Spirit of Americana Free Speech Award but was unable to attend that year's show.

Other special honors include the previously announced Legacy of Americana Award, which is co-presented by Nashville's National Museum of African American Music. The inaugural recipients are modern genre favorite Rhiannon Giddens and influential 19th-century bandleader Frank Johnson.

In its 18th year, the Americana Music Honors and Awards show takes place Sept. 11 at the Ryman Auditorium. It's an anchor event for the 2019 AmericanaFest, which runs Sept. 10-15 in Nashville."

Elvis and Rhiannon reprising some of the Lost On The River: The New Basement Tapes songs? That would be good.

MOOT
sweetest punch

Re: Elvis receives Lifetime Achievement Honor from Americana Music Association, Sept 11 2019

Post by sweetest punch »

FAVEHOUR

Re: Elvis receives Lifetime Achievement Honor from Americana Music Association, Sept 11 2019

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Can anyone record the webcast??
And No Coffee Table

The webcast just ended.

T Bone Burnett presented EC with the award.

After his speech, EC played a partial "Red Cotton" and all of "Blame It On Cain" with Jim Lauderdale and the house band.

The show closed with Mavis Staples leading everybody in "I'll Fly Away." EC took a verse but seemed to be having problems with his microphone.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

My favorite moment was in T Bone's speech. He was describing seeing Elvis at the Paradise in Boston in Dec 1977, and at the end of a list of descriptive adjectives, he concluded with "His aim was........

long pause while you say he can't possibly invoke the cliche....

...pandemonium."

Perfect.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

T Bone's speech. He was describing seeing Elvis at the Paradise in Boston in Dec 1977,
T Bone seems to have seen quite a few of Elvis's shows on his first tour of the U.S. in 1977. In the past he has referred to being at his first show , San Francisco on Nov. 15th. Now he seems to have also been at the one in Boston on Dec. 9th. Back then he was in The Alpha Band. A listing says they were doing shows in Texas in Nov. '77 , around the 15th. I daresay he was most likely only at the show in Boston.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlists/the-alp ... 4b694.html
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Photos via Twitter -

And No Coffee Table

https://www.elviscostello.com/#!/news/298688

T-BONE BURNETT’S DEDICATION SPEECH TO ELVIS COSTELLO AT THE 2019 AMERICANA HONORS & AWARDS CEREMONY.

I would like to start by saying I have never had a better or truer
friend than Declan Patrick MacManus, also known as Declan Patrick
Aloysius MacManus, also known as The Imposter, Napoleon Dynamite, The
Beloved Entertainer, better known as Elvis Costello, and known to
millions, and me, as my brother, Howard Coward.

Howard is the kindest of men, and the most generous and ferocious of
artists.

I first saw Elvis Costello and the Attractions at the Paradise Theater
in Boston in 1977. He was lit from the floor by a frightening green
light, and he sang with mirth and venom. The band was raging. The songs
were smart and innovative. His voice was clear. His lyrics were
dangerous. His aim was… pandemonium.

We first met on stage at a sound check for an acoustic tour we took
around the world for a couple of years in the good old days of the
1980’s, though we might not remember them exactly that way.

In the many conversations that we had over the long hours and miles of
roads we traveled in those years, I learned that he is a historian,
archivist, player, singer, and composer of American music of the highest
order.

On a train outside of Chicago, he would refer to the B side of Uh Oh,
Part One by Dyke and the Blazers, as if anyone else in the world had
ever heard it, much less reveled in or referred to it.

In a hotel on Sunset Boulevard, he would pull out an obscure Webb Pierce
song. Or, he would write an obscure Webb Pierce song that never existed.

He was always at maximum intensity.

During that tour, he wrote an extraordinary group of songs that became
an album that could be called an early Americana album, though if we are
going to name early Americana albums, we should start with Blind Willie
Johnson, or the Mississippi Sheiks, or Jimmie Rodgers, or Bessie Smith,
or the Carter Family.

At any rate, that prophetic album was called King of America.

It started this way:

He thought he was the king of America
Where they pour Coca Cola just like vintage wine
Now I try hard not to become hysterical
But I'm not sure if I am laughing or crying
I wish that I could push a button
And talk in the past and not the present tense
And watch this hurting feeling disappear
Like it was common sense
It was a fine idea at the time
Now it's a brilliant mistake

We went on to make several records together ranging from his eccentric
version of loud psychedelic music to his deft version of classic country
blues.

He, of course, has roamed freely around our culture for forty years,
writing and recording classical music with the Brodsky Quartet,
Louisiana Rhythm and Blues with Allen Toussaint, sophisticated popular
songs with Burt Bacharach, Hip Hop with The Roots, Rock and Roll with
Roy Orbison, and Country Music with George Jones. We have to remember
that he had Billy Sherrill produce his beautiful 1981 album, Almost
Blue. At that time he had been recording for three years and had already
put out five classic albums.

Elvis Costello contains an invaluable cultural memory.

I remember Keith Richards saying that every night, a different band was
the best rock and roll band in the world.

That was a generous remark and a sharp observation.

So tonight, in keeping with Mr Richards’ clear view, I would like to
nominate Declan Patrick MacManus, The Beloved Entertainer, Howard Coward
and Elvis Costello- all of them in one- as the true King of America.

I am deeply grateful to him personally as I have learned more about
music and about freedom and about autonomy from my brother Howard than I
have learned from any other source.

And we are all grateful to you, Sahib, for an extraordinary lifetime of
blues and rhythm, and melody and rhyme, and vulnerability and courage,
and hard truth and deep love.

Please welcome, recipient of the two thousand-nineteen Americana Music
Association Lifetime Achievement Award for Songwriting, our brother,
Elvis Costello.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Beautiful and heartfelt - shame it somehow sounds a little like an obituary!
Man out of Time

Review by Jonathan Bernstein published in Rolling Stone magazine via MSN on 13 September.

"At 2019 Americana Honors and Awards, the Genre Looks to a More Diverse Future

“We gotta change around here,” Mavis Staples sang toward the very end of Wednesday night’s 18th annual Americana Honors & Awards Ceremony at Nashville’s Ryman Auditorium. Having been presented the evening’s Inspiration Award by pioneering Civil Rights activist and Freedom Rider Ernest Patton earlier in the evening, Staples’ song was a powerful reminder that change-inspiring music-makers are, like Staples put it herself during her acceptance speech, “still carrying on.”

But during a show that at once gestured at the future of the Americana genre while still firmly upholding its rigid past, Staples’ “Change” also served as a commentary on the state of Americana music in 2019. The Americana Honors, hosted by Joey Ryan and Kenneth Pattengale of the Milk Carton Kids, celebrated big names like Elvis Costello and John Prine while highlighting a multiplicity of new voices and sounds from the genre’s wide cast of up-and-comers.

The biggest winner was Prine, who took home both Song of the Year (“Summer’s End”) and Album of the Year for his 2018 standout The Tree of Forgiveness. And yet, despite some predictability from the 300-odd Americana Association voters, the show also gently pointed toward a new era, one helmed by artists like Brandi Carlile (who quoted Lizzo during her Artist of the Year acceptance speech), the War and Treaty, and I’m With Her, who won awards for Best Emerging Artist and Duo/Group, respectively.

Carlile’s Artist of the Year win, in particular, felt long overdue, the singer’s first-ever official award from the Americana community (a year after her Grammy accolades) that served as a victory-lap recognition of her 2018 classic By The Way, I Forgive You. Having performed the deeply personal “The Mother” earlier in the evening, Carlile spent much of her acceptance speech offering praise to the other three Artist of the Year nominees: Mavis Staples, Kacey Musgraves, and Rhiannon Giddens.

Many of the most compelling moments and subsequent standing ovations from the nearly four-hour show came early on, delivered by relatively new acts like Yola, Ruston Kelly, Erin Rae, J.S. Ondara, and Our Native Daughters. From Yola’s sultry roots-pop to Kelly’s self-professed “dirt emo” to Ondara’s left-field coffeehouse folk, the first half of the show offered a broader, more flexible roadmap for the next generation of Americana songwriters, instrumentalists, and singers. When Amythyst Kiah, singing lead with the all-star banjo supergroup Our Native Daughters, sang “I go anywhere that I wanna go” during the group’s “Black Myself” it sounded like a provocation as much as an aspiration.

Amanda Shires provided the evening’s most musically daring number with the deconstructed folk-pop intro to “Parking Lot Pirouette.” Meanwhile, Rhiannon Giddens, accepting the first annual Legacy of Americana honor alongside the long-forgotten 19th-century string-band pioneer Frank Johnson, ran through a note-perfect rendition of the age-old standard “Wayfaring Stranger” not once but twice, due to technical difficulties that forced her to repeat the song. (The awards are taped to air on PBS.)

Apart from Giddens and Johnson, this year’s lifetime achievement recipients included Delbert McClinton, Staples, Costello (“he roamed freely around our country for 40 years,” T Bone Burnett said when presenting him the award), and Maria Muldaur. After Muldaur was presented her award by Bonnie Raitt, the 76-year-old folk pioneer delivered a tribute to her inspirations that served as a survey course in American roots music: Ralph Stanley, Victoria Spivey, Kitty Wells, Sippie Wallace, and Hank Williams.

There were a few semi-random moments, including Rodney Crowell and Joe Henry’s tender recreation of Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash’s arrangement of “Girl From the North Country” and Mumford & Sons’ acoustic performance of their 2018 song “Do It for Yourself,” which was aided by the Milk Carton Kids. (“Last time I was here, I vomited on Jerry Douglas,” Marcus Mumford told the crowd at the Ryman.)

Later, the audience was hushed when Raitt and Prine came out by themselves with guitars. “You know this one, Bonnie?” Prine joked before the two went into a finely-aged rendition of their duet on “Angel From Montgomery.” Not long after, Staples traded verses with Carlile and the War and Treaty’s Michael Trotter during a rousing ensemble encore performance of “I’ll Fly Away.

Michael and Tanya Trotter had one of the evening’s biggest nights, mesmerizing the crowd with their a cappella take on “Love Like There’s No Tomorrow” before giving a moving speech about their project of “exposing togetherness” when accepting their award for Best Emerging Artist.

On a night that showed how much more vital and exciting the larger Americana musical world can be when it embraces new sounds and styles, the War and Treaty seemed to exemplify Staples’ call when, a few hours after they won their award, Staples recast the refrain in her song “Change” in a slightly more hopeful light:

“Get it straight/Be sure that you hear,” Staples sang, “things gonna change around here.”

Not a lot of EC content, but you get a flavour of the event. Extraordinary to think that a lad from London/Liverpool should be honoured by the Americana Music Association.

I think I will give "exposing togetherness" a miss.

MOOT
Man out of Time

In case you were still wondering what a "Lifetime Achievement Honor" looked like, this photo (and Elvis) may hold the answer...
Photo by Erika Goldring/Getty Images for Americana Music Association)
Photo by Erika Goldring/Getty Images for Americana Music Association)
gettyimages-1174037817-2048x2048.jpg (176.17 KiB) Viewed 27086 times
Jim Lauderdale, Elvis Costello, T Bone Burnett, and Brandi Carlile seen backstage during the 2019 Americana Honors & Awards at Ryman Auditorium on September 11, 2019 in Nashville, Tennessee. (Photo by Erika Goldring/Getty Images for Americana Music Association)

MOOT
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.nashcountrydaily.com/2019/11 ... ello-more/

Austin City Limits” to Premiere 2019 AmericanaFest TV Special With Brandi Carlile, John Prine, Elvis Costello & More

If you didn’t make it to Nashville in September for AmericanaFest, you can still catch some of the action thanks to Austin City Limits on PBS.

Austin City Limits will air highlights of the 18th annual Americana Honors & Awards on PBS on Nov. 23 (check local listings) with performances by Brandi Carlile; Elvis Costello and Jim Lauderdale; Rodney Crowell and Joe Henry; Mark Erelli with Shawn Colvin, Lori McKenna, J.S. Ondara and Josh Ritter; Rhiannon Giddens; I’m With Her; The Milk Carton Kids; Mumford & Sons; Our Native Daughters; Bonnie Raitt & John Prine; The War and Treaty; and Yola.

The one-hour special will also be available for streaming beginning on Nov. 23 at 10 p.m. CT.

2019 AmericanaFest took over Nashville during the week of Sept. 10–15, with the Honors & Awards ceremony on Sept. 11 at Nashville’s Ryman Auditorium serving as the week’s centerpiece. More than 320 acts performed at 55 different venues during the six-day festival.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Caught the show on PBS. What was the song that led into Blame It On Cain? Impressed by Yola and War and Treaty.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
Arbogast

Post by Arbogast »

That was Red Cotton. Great, if brief, performance on that show!

Blame It on Cain was awesome!