Elvis's most 'Marmite' project

Pretty self-explanatory
Neil.

Elvis's most 'Marmite' project

Post by Neil. »

Hi all - I'm really looking forward to an imminent production of The Juliet Letters in Peckham (https://www.mountview.org.uk/whats-on/s ... t-letters/), but some fans have said that TJL doesn't really float their boat.

So do we think The Juliet Letters is Elvis's most Marmite* project?

Or are there other contenders?

*(For anyone who isn't familiar with this British colloquialism - Marmite is a yeast-extract sandwich spread that people seem to either love or hate: there's no in-between. https://www.marmite.co.uk/products)
sheeptotheslaughter

Re: Elvis's most 'Marmite' project

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

I think North would qualify as a 'Marmite' project. I know from conversations on Facebook it seems to divide the fans. Personally speaking I absolutely love both The Juliet Letters and North. For what its worth I love Marmite too
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

I don't know if it strictly qualifies as 'marmite', but, for me, some of the classical stuff. Il Sogno, for example. I don't hate it or anything, but I only bought it because there was an Elvis involvement. I wouldn't have bought it otherwise. And I've played it, maybe, two-and-a-half times. Same with the soundtrack stuff, GBH/Jake's Progress. I don't 'hate' them, they're not embarrassingly bad or anything. I'm sure that, as soundtracks go, they're excellent. Just not really my bag. Is that 'marmite'?
johnanderson

Post by johnanderson »

sheeptotheslaughter wrote:I think North would qualify as a 'Marmite' project. I know from conversations on Facebook it seems to divide the fans. Personally speaking I absolutely love both The Juliet Letters and North. For what its worth I love Marmite too
TJL really benefits from repeated listening. It sat for years in my collection, unloved. I’ve learned to love it though. Seeing Elvis and the Brodskys helped a lot in that case. I’ve even chased down a copy of the double cd.

I’m not a fan of North though.

Or marmite.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Yeah, it took me ages to get into TJL, but I think it's great now. I think the string quartet sound takes some getting used to - it can be such a mournful sound, but you eventually realise that TJL is full of colours and varied playing.

I'd forgotten about 'Il Songo' - I've hardly ever listened to it, though I bought it as a loyal fan.

I have to say I don't often give 'For the Stars' a spin, but there are some great things on it. Angel Passing Through My Room, No Wonder, and the title track. But sometimes I find the precision of Anne-Sophie's singing a little bit clinical - and when Elvis comes in on 'For the Stars', the contrast in styles is too much to take.
Standstobeinsulted

Post by Standstobeinsulted »

The fact that TJL has acquired a life of its own in terms of Independent productions speaks volumes
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

TJL doesn't do a lot for me, though there are three or four good to great songs on it.I'm almost entirely in agreement otherwise with hawksmoor about the "classical" soundtrack stuff and I wasn't sure about A Face In the Crowd - too many songs seem to be written to fit the "musical setting" such as ascomical song (Vitajex) , a whimsy (They Call Me Mrs. Lonesome), a big climatic number(A Face In The Crowd) but having heard Rebecca sing Burn The Paper Down To Ash, I could suddenly see how someone else could transform an Elvis song - I so love that version which I've heard a few times live.
I hate Marmite - why pay money for that when you can spread cow-pat on your bread ! :wink: but I adore North and the 2003 tour with Steve was one of my live highlights with Elvis - at Newcastle 8 October and hearing him on the radio on the Janice Long Show in the wee hours of Mini-VGs birthday as I drove from Newcastle back to Birmingham
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

inviting controversy : Look Now

I don't actually hate it, or even fail to get it ( in the manner that I don't get North) it's just a massive disappointment, having waited so long for some 'product' son of PfM is a big let down. Overproduced, over strung, over backing sung and underwhelmed. But I am very happy that lots on this board love it, Look Away Now.

Colin Top Balcony
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Top Balcony wrote
inviting controversy : Look Now
Looks like you got away with this one, CTB ! :wink: :roll:
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

It was pleasing to have the album out but it’s not one of my favourites.

It’s not enough to put in the Marmite category though.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
WindUpWorld

Post by WindUpWorld »

For my part, I love the Juliet Letters. However For The Stars graced my CD player only a few times, resoundingly a miss rather than a hit. When Elvis mentions an album in his stage patter we usually applaud and appreciate, understandably and deservedly. When he namechecked For The Stars at a Costello & Nieve show at the Festival Hall you could, to purloin a phrase, have heard a rat piss on cotton. Possibly after imbibing marmite.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

WindUpWorld wrote:When he namechecked For The Stars...you could, to purloin a phrase, have heard a rat piss on cotton. Possibly after imbibing marmite.
:lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
jardine

Post by jardine »

Okay, so, Marmite. Something both really loved and really not. I'm thinking about what might be Elvis' FIRST Marmite...Almost Blue, I suppose? What would be next? Punch the Clock and Goodbye Cruel World were both limp enough to not count, I think. Certainly Juliet, North, Il Sogno [although with this one, it seems that expectations weren't high enough for disappointment].
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

"Party Party", while hated by most, does have some fans:

http://www.nosuchthingaswas.com/2011/02 ... party.html
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

verbal gymnastics wrote:
WindUpWorld wrote:When he namechecked For The Stars...you could, to purloin a phrase, have heard a rat piss on cotton. Possibly after imbibing marmite.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

docinwestchester wrote:"Party Party", while hated by most, does have some fans:

I think Party Party's great! I love this (mimed) clip. Elvis looking well cool here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW-figfxjzs
Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif »

Could it be that in the eyes of the general public, Elvis Costello *is* marmite? :D

With the exception of a few songs, The River In Reverse never really worked for me. Maybe one day :)
jardine

Post by jardine »

"Could it be that in the eyes of the general public, Elvis Costello *is* marmite? :D"

oh, my, well, yes, there it is. funny, but a good call. the rest is just details...
jardine

Post by jardine »

"Could it be that in the eyes of the general public, Elvis Costello *is* marmite? :D"

Oh, my, well, yes, there it is. Funny, but a good call. The rest is just details...

Okay, so, EC: as per the Internet [and not personal experience] yeasty, salty, smoky, mushroomy, powerful. "Like a mixture of salt and battery acid, " but, as per the promotions, "Love it or hate it, you just have to try it."

I did, all those years ago, and have found him mushroomy and powerful ever since.
Last edited by jardine on Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif »

Neil. wrote:
docinwestchester wrote:"Party Party", while hated by most, does have some fans:

I think Party Party's great! I love this (mimed) clip. Elvis looking well cool here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW-figfxjzs
Thanks - great find! I'd never seen this one before
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

The album I just don't seem to get on with is Secret, Profane and Sugarcane. EC doing bluegrass sounds a great idea in theory but it just doesn't work for me. Clumsy title too - unusual for Elvis. I guess to be Marmite then someone needs to love it - not so sure about that!

PS I love Marmite and greatly enjoyed the Party Party video.
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

Fishfinger king wrote:The album I just don't seem to get on with is Secret, Profane and Sugarcane. EC doing bluegrass sounds a great idea in theory but it just doesn't work for me. Clumsy title too - unusual for Elvis. I guess to be Marmite then someone needs to love it - not so sure about that!

PS I love Marmite and greatly enjoyed the Party Party video.
Totally agree on SPS I like about two or three of the songs. I find it a bit of a dirge to sit through in one sitting and believe me i have tried

On Look Now i think is the best album Elvis has made with the Impostors by a country mile.
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

sheeptotheslaughter wrote: On Look Now i think is the best album Elvis has made with the Impostors by a country mile.
To my ears Delivery Man takes that particular biscuit.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Sheep and Top Balcony wrote
sheeptotheslaughter wrote:
On Look Now i think is the best album Elvis has made with the Impostors by a country mile.

To my ears Delivery Man takes that particular biscuit.
Now for me that particular Custard Cream goes to Momofuku !
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

sulky lad wrote:Now for me that particular Custard Cream goes to Momofuku !
interesting, I have Momofuku as a bit of a bourbon cream ( aka a 'dog biscuit' in the Top Balcony household. Only stand out track is the epic 'Three Sons', although honourable mention to 'Pardon me Madam, My Name is Harry Worth'. So nowhere near DM in my affections, but you've prompted me to play it again, think LOUD suits it best.

Colin Top Balcony