Elvis & Imposters/Blondie Forest Hills July 24, 2019

Pretty self-explanatory
bronxapostle

Elvis & Imposters/Blondie Forest Hills July 24, 2019

Post by bronxapostle »

What better day to post this thread than on the 74th birthday of DEBBIE!!! 8) it is gonna be Elvis' third appearance at the renowned tennis stadium. AND ANYONE WHO WAS THERE IN 1982 OR 1984 will attest to these two shows LEGENDARY status in the EC live archives. GONNA BE GREAT...
Man out of Time

Re: Elvis & Imposters/Blondie Forest Hills July 24, 2019

Post by Man out of Time »

According to the Brooklyn Vegan

Forest Hills Stadium is offering a 4-for-$99 ticket promotion for 4th of July (all shows) - including this one, so if you've not already bought your ticket and have three friends, this could be for you....

The promotion runs from now until Sunday, July 7 at 10 PM, while supplies last.

MOOT
JerseyPride78

Post by JerseyPride78 »

So frustrated that my summer travel plans prevent from from seeing any shows on this tour. Oh well, at least they'll be back in the fall.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Get there on time.... don't miss 6:50 start.
Elvis is king, Debbie is queen
Attachments
Get there on time.... don't miss 6:50 start.<br />Elvis is king, Debbie is queen.
Get there on time.... don't miss 6:50 start.
Elvis is king, Debbie is queen.
IMG_20190724_102646_274.jpg (72 KiB) Viewed 31567 times
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... 4_New_York

01. Pump It Up
02. Miracle Man
03. Clubland
04. Accidents Will Happen
05. Green Shirt
06. Photographs Can Lie - including The Look Of Love
07. Mr. & Mrs. Hush
08. Beyond Belief
09. Watching The Detectives
10. A Face In The Crowd - EC on piano
11. This Year's Girl
12. Less Than Zero
13. I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down
14. High Fidelity
15. Everyday I Write The Book - including Mr. Big Stuff
16. Alison
17. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
Arbogast

Post by Arbogast »

Can't believe Mr. and Mrs. Hush made it into this--or any-set list.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Arbogast wrote:Can't believe Mr. and Mrs. Hush made it into this--or any-set list.
Surely, you have NEVER seen it. A FANTASTIC song in the live setting, is quite the crowd pleaser with THAT big groove and call & response section!!! I'll take it anytime.

ARE YOU READY??? :lol:
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

The set list is a mixture of the old and the new.

The old stuff is a smattering of Elvis pop star days between 1977 and 1983.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/elvis-cost ... ery-1=62[b]

Elvis Costello & Blondie played Forest Hills (pics, setlist, video, “Old Town Road” cover)
[/b]
The great double-bill tour of Elvis Costello and Blondie hit NYC on Wednesday for an evening packed with new wave classics at Forest Hills Stadium. Backed by The Imposters (which includes Attractions members Steve Nieve and Pet Thomas), Elvis’ set was jam-packed with hits, kicking off with “Pump it Up,” and keeping that up with “Clubland,” Accidents Will Happen,” “Watching the Detectives,” “Less Than Zero,” “I Can’t Stand Up for Falling Down,” “Every Day I Write the Book,” “Allison,” a night-closing (and still 100% relevant) “(What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love & Understanding” and more.

Blondie opened the evening with “One Way or Another” and their set included “Hanging on the Telephone,” “Call Me,” “Rapture,” Atomic,” “Dreaming” and more. And, as they’ve been doing on this tour, they did a short cover of Lil Nas X’s unstoppable #1, “Old Town Road.” You can watch video of that from the Boston stop of their tour below.

Setlists and video for Elvis and Blondie at Forest HIlls are below, and pictures from the night are in the gallery above.

Elvis Costello & The Imposters will be back in the NYC area this fall on their Just Trust tour, playing two nights at Capitol Theatre.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

EC: "So how ya been? It's good to be back. We're so pleased to be here in Forest Hills and not in Forest Lawn. On the way here we were trying to think what songs would be appropriate for a night like tonight. My early career on the pro tennis circuit has gone unrecorded in song. So we thought maybe we could play Love Went Mad* or we could play Brilliant Mistake or we could play..."

*According to wiki Love Went Mad has never been played live. That was just a cruel tease. Instead he played Accidents Will Happen.

Also, is Forest Lawn a cemetery reference?
docinwestchester

EC: "I'm gonna play you a new song now. This comes from a show called Face in the Crowd. It's gonna be on the stage in New York next year. Y'all gonna come see it?"

Is this an official announcement?
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

docinwestchester wrote:EC: "So how ya been? It's good to be back. We're so pleased to be here in Forest Hills and not in Forest Lawn. On the way here we were trying to think what songs would be appropriate for a night like tonight. My early career on the pro tennis circuit has gone unrecorded in song. So we thought maybe we could play Love Went Mad* or we could play Brilliant Mistake or we could play..."

*According to wiki Love Went Mad has never been played live. That was just a cruel tease. Instead he played Accidents Will Happen.

Also, is Forest Lawn a cemetery reference?
Yes. Forest Lawn is a cemetery in LA where a lot of Hollywood stars are buried.
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

bronxapostle wrote:
Arbogast wrote:Can't believe Mr. and Mrs. Hush made it into this--or any-set list.
Surely, you have NEVER seen it. A FANTASTIC song in the live setting, is quite the crowd pleaser with THAT big groove and call & response section!!! I'll take it anytime.

ARE YOU READY??? :lol:
Ahem.

Nov 6 2018
Elvis Costello & The Imposters Setlist
at Paramount Theatre, Asbury Park, NJ, USA

24. Mr. & Mrs. Hush
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Sorry, don't know what you mean about Asbury show mention here Eugene. M/M Hush was a highlight that night for me too.

And doc.... when you can get the exact wording of the EC mention regarding Morrissey verbatim, i would love to read it. I am pretty certain he jumbled the wording of what he meant to say. But, certainly we will derive the intended insult. :lol: :lol:
docinwestchester

bronxapostle wrote:Sorry, don't know what you mean about Asbury show mention here Eugene. M/M Hush was a highlight that night for me too.

And doc.... when you can get the exact wording of the EC mention regarding Morrissey verbatim, i would love to read it. I am pretty certain he jumbled the wording of what he meant to say. But, certainly we will derive the intended insult. :lol: :lol:
EC: "If Elvis Presley had not of left us so swiftly, he would have made a huge career in the 1980's covering the songs of the '80's. I mean we could have lived without him singing the hits of Morrissey, I know, I admit that is true. But I have a long time held a theory that he could have made a great hit out of Rio by Duran Duran. Can you hear it in your head?"
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Oh, okay.. that makes decent enough sense even if a little disjointed bit of a sentence.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Docinwestchester wrote :
EC: "If Elvis Presley had not of left us so swiftly, he would have made a huge career in the 1980's covering the songs of the '80's. I mean we could have lived without him singing the hits of Morrissey, I know, I admit that is true. But I have a long time held a theory that he could have made a great hit out of Rio by Duran Duran. Can you hear it in your head?"
What a memory you have Doc :wink:
verbal gymnastics

The quote is similar to the spiel he used to do back in 1996 during God’s Comic (I think). I wonder if he’ll repeat the part about Elvis doing Heart of Glass by Blondie (except he wouldn’t be able to cuss and say “pain in the ass”). :lol:

I’m sure one of you hep cats can pose a link.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

verbal gymnastics wrote:The quote is similar to the spiel he used to do back in 1996 during God’s Comic (I think). I wonder if he’ll repeat the part about Elvis doing Heart of Glass by Blondie (except he wouldn’t be able to cuss and say “pain in the ass”). :lol:

I’m sure one of you hep cats can pose a link.

Yes he sang the RIO and HEART OF GLASS lines, but skipped I STILL HAVEN'T FOUND WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR. I associate that with 1999 Lonely World tours. Did it start in 1996??? I forget....am i confusing this medley with when he did U2? I saw him include THE VERVE Drugs Don't Work in San Diego. I'm confused... archive update tomorrow anyway. I'll get to the bottom of this.
verbal gymnastics

I’m not sure which year it was. I’m relying on my memory.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

verbal gymnastics wrote:I’m not sure which year it was. I’m relying on my memory.
Me too.... that's why i do my bookkeeping. :lol: :lol: i will update when i add this BLONDIE AND THE BEASTLY EC! tour this weekend. My two shows anyway...if it wasn't another near 100 degree day, i just might have ventured to the dreaded Camden, N.J. tonight. :|
docinwestchester

The current arrangement of I Can't Stand Up/High Fidelity is really good! I know it's in every show and looks very ho-hum when reading the setlist, but man it kicks ass in the live setting. Kitten and Briana's vocals are especially strong here.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Review by "Everynight Charley Crespo" published in in The Aquarian on August 21, 2019.

"Elvis Costello & the Imposters/Forest Hills Stadium/July 24, 2019
EC and PT in Forest Hills, August 2019
EC and PT in Forest Hills, August 2019
Elvis-Costello-the-Imposters.jpg (46.44 KiB) Viewed 29603 times
Born in London, Declan MacManus was the son of a jazz trumpeter who sang with the Joe Loss Orchestra and who later performed as a solo cabaret act. The youth’s first broadcast recording was with his father on a 1974 television commercial. Also in 1974, the son formed a pub rock band called Flip City, which remained active until 1976. As a solo artist renamed Elvis Costello, he became associated with the first wave of the British punk and new wave movement that emerged in the mid-to-late seventies. His debut album was released in 1977, after which he formed a backing band and became Elvis Costello & the Attractions until 1986; the band reunited briefly several times in subsequent years. Formed in 2001, Elvis Costello & the Imposters presently consists of two former Attractions, pianist Steve Nieve, and drummer Pete Thomas, plus bassist Davey Faragher. Costello and the Attractions were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2003 and Costello was appointed Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) in 2019 for services to music. Recording rock, country, jazz, and classical music throughout his career, Costello returned to pop with his 25th and most recent album, Look Now, released on October 12, 2018.

Co-headlining with Blondie at Forest Hills Stadium, Costello and the Imposters performed only two songs from his most recent album; the rest of the concert pivoted largely on his best known and most rocking songs. Many of these songs were from his punk rock period in the late nineteen-seventies; Costello tempered his anger in the early eighties, so the vintage songs were given a lighter tone but were nevertheless built for rocking. The set began with “Pump It Up,” and Costello did just that. He continued with signature songs until he introduced a newer song he co-wrote with Burt Bacharach, “Photographs Can Lie,” followed by “Mr. & Mrs. Hush,” a song he said he wrote for a forthcoming musical. While Costello’s crooning was executed well, he temporarily seemed to lose his audience with these bland mainstream endeavors. “Watching the Detectives” re-engaged the audience, as did “Everyday I Write the Book,” where Kitten Kuroi and Briana Lee moved from their back-up vocalist positions to flank Costello center stage in soulful call-and-response singing. Much of the concert featured close-up footage and clever graphics on large screens, reaching a peak with the night-closing song, a cover of “(What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding,” which was accompanied in part by a slide show of Costello’s family members in military uniform. Costello can record all the pop, country, and jazz albums he wants, but the public demonstrated that what they craved most was Costello the rocker."

MOOT