"Plotting our return, early in the Leap Year" (2020 UK tour)

Pretty self-explanatory
Top balcony

Re: "Plotting our return, early in the Leap Year"

Post by Top balcony »

Hawksmoor wrote: Colywn Bay : Clive Langer and the Boxes supporting.
yeah supporting the next night in Southport too. Obviously decades ago now, but I think I was a bit disappointed with Clive and his band. I loved Deaf School, so was hoping for more of the same from one of their leading lights. Clearly he went on to greater things as a producer - and occasional songwriter.
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

sulky lad wrote:I think the 1980 tour of the Uk is probably the least well documented of all his UK tours and it's fantastic that we've got at least four people who have witnessed that tour, Goon Squad at Canvey Island , CTB at Southport, Hawksmoor at Colwyn Bay and Offshoreram at Peterborough - in 6 months time you'll all have to write down you memories for the 40 year celebration to go with the recordings from then :wink:
I was at Canvey Island too. for some reason I don't remember seeing any support at Canvey. Maybe we just stayed in the pub/bar. I do remember seeing Clive Langer on the London dates. We missed the last train back to London and had to catch a cab all the way home. It cost £16 probably nearer £160.
Elvisisking

Post by Elvisisking »

I was at Leas Cliff Hall in Folkestone in March 1980. A brilliant gig in a small cliff top venue. Please come back in 2020.
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

Top balcony wrote:
Hawksmoor wrote: Colywn Bay : Clive Langer and the Boxes supporting.
yeah supporting the next night in Southport too. Obviously decades ago now, but I think I was a bit disappointed with Clive and his band. I loved Deaf School, so was hoping for more of the same from one of their leading lights. Clearly he went on to greater things as a producer - and occasional songwriter.
Yeah, but you have to remember, this was the first 'proper' band I'd ever seen live. So naturally I was blown away. I thought 'blimey, this is the best thing ever. I have to get their LP tomorrow'. And sure, it's a little underwhelming. But, given the emotional back-story, you'll appreciate why I still play it (and enjoy it) occasionally). :D
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Hawksmoor wrote:... you'll appreciate why I still play it (and enjoy it) occasionally). :D
I sure do, that's a great memory, and a great souvenir.

Best wishes

Colin
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Having seen Elvis tweet showing Hammersmith Palais, he has now tweeted a picture of Harlem Apollo so my detective instincts lead me to Hammersmith Apollo.

There is also the hashtag justtrustuk2020.

I never get decent stall seats at Hammersmith Apollo for Elvis gigs! Let's hope it's standing (big hope indeed :lol: )
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

VG wrote
I never get decent stall seats at Hammersmith Apollo for Elvis gigs! Let's hope it's standing (big hope indeed :lol: )
If memory serve me right, the last time we saw Elvis there, you were down the front by about the 6th song :D :roll:
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Having seen Elvis tweet showing Hammersmith Palais, he has now tweeted a picture of Harlem Apollo so my detective instincts lead me to Hammersmith Apollo.
This has to be right. Okay, so a major London gig and a tour of seaside towns. Marvellous - welcome home, Elvis! We'll be there!
verbal gymnastics

sulky lad wrote:VG wrote
If memory serve me right, the last time we saw Elvis there, you were down the front by about the 6th song :D :roll:
I had to bid my time! :lol:
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

The " Just Trust Thursday Clues" so far : In addition to the Hammersmith / Harlem pair, EC has posted a picture of a fabulous looking Sunderland Empire, and "Crumpstall's Finest" ie Freddie Garitey of Freddie and the Dreamers. So guess I'll be going to Mudchester in February, where there is also an Apollo.

Perhaps he is going completely bonkers and only playing Apollo's and Empires, in which case I look forward to him treading the boards at the Liverpool Empire again soon.

Colin Top Balcony
verbal gymnastics

If he does a tour of Empires and seaside towns perhaps we can see a Boardwalk Empire tour.

I'll have to think of something for the Apollo bit though!
Offshoreram

Post by Offshoreram »

I've seen Elvis once at the Hammersmith Palais (Armed Forces Tour) and 3 times at the Hammersmith Odeon/Apollo (Trust, Punch the Clock and Delivery Man Tours)

The last time I was there was for Death Cab for Cutie back in February. It was last minute and I still got a front circle ticket. I quite like it as a venue and have seen lots of great gigs there over the years.

However my next time seeing Elvis is my 50th time so I was hoping somewhere special and a chance to meet him again before or afterwards.

I hope the full dates get announced soon so I can do some planning. :D
My head is spinning and my legs are weak
verbal gymnastics

The #justtrustuk2020 Thursday clue is "You need wheels" and a picture of Raleigh "The all steel bicycle". As Raleigh bikes are based in Nottingham I guess that's that one sorted.

Cue the moans about the sound quality at Nottingham Arena... :lol:
Offshoreram

Post by Offshoreram »

verbal gymnastics wrote:The #justtrustuk2020 Thursday clue is "You need wheels" and a picture of Raleigh "The all steel bicycle". As Raleigh bikes are based in Nottingham I guess that's that one sorted.

Royal Concert Hall or Rock City?

It won't be the Arena
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I've seen Elvis 6 times at Nottingham over the years ( from 1996 onwards) and the strangest concert was the John Harle show when the audience was composed almost entirely of jazz fans who wanted to hear John Harle's sax playing. There were huge murmurs of discontent at the half time interval following Elvis' Shakespearean songs and Sarah Leonard's soaring vocals and a considerable number left but those who remained roared their approval when Hunting The Hare, the avant garde saxophone duet with Harle and Andy Sheppard was played - only to return to their grumpy state with the encore Rocky Road Around A Rocky Ground. Must still have my recording somewhere and must dig out sometime.
I've never thought the sound was too bad at the Royal Concert Hall, ( famous also for my Masters degree presentation !!) until the last show in 2018 when, from my side of the stalls it was really muddy. Pete asked me afterwards what I thought of the sound and I said I could only hear the drums and bass and he retorted "Well, what's wrong with that ?!!" :roll:
Perhaps the little arrows of the Leapy Lee song posted at the end of June on his twitter account along with the My Aim Is True dartboard ( has anyone got one of those ??!!) also hints at Robin Hood country !
verbal gymnastics

Offshoreram wrote:
verbal gymnastics wrote:The #justtrustuk2020 Thursday clue is "You need wheels" and a picture of Raleigh "The all steel bicycle". As Raleigh bikes are based in Nottingham I guess that's that one sorted.

It won't be the Arena
I suspect it'll be the Royal Concert Hall.
Offshoreram

Post by Offshoreram »

verbal gymnastics wrote:
Offshoreram wrote:

It won't be the Arena
I suspect it'll be the Royal Concert Hall.
Rock City would be better :wink:
Offshoreram

Post by Offshoreram »

The Just Trust Thursday Clue
“— -..- ..-. --- .-. -..” #justtrustuk2020

Oxford, so another reasonably local to me.

I'm guessing the New Theatre or a slim possibility of the O2 Academy.
verbal gymnastics

Oxford because of the Inspector Morse theme or possibly Birmingham as Jaguars are built there.

If it's Oxford then it'll probably be the Apollo. If it's Birmingham then it's probably the Symphony Hall.

Preferably both!
Offshoreram

Post by Offshoreram »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Oxford because of the Inspector Morse theme or possibly Birmingham as Jaguars are built there.

If it's Oxford then it'll probably be the Apollo. If it's Birmingham then it's probably the Symphony Hall.

Preferably both!
The morse code spells Oxford, I believe, plus 'Morse' and it's the same car Morse drove around Oxford in the series

The New Theatre was formerly the Apollo, which is where Elvis last played in June 2015.
verbal gymnastics

Aah - that's too clever for me!

I guess the Birmingham date will be a bar of chocolate...

I'd forgotten about the New Theatre which as I recall is ironically named given it was quite shabby!
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Weren't Jaguar cars built at Coventry as well ? That would tie in with the 1980 tour when they performed at Leamington Spa (only 11.6 miles away from Coventry.)
I think you've missed the whole point here, the registration 709 UXU actually mean Pete Thomas was accidentally fired into space on a trip to NASA in 1979 on a space rocket a bit like Fireball XL5 and is forever orbiting 709 km above the earth ( like the Reg No of the VW beetle on the cover of Abbey Road whose registration symbolises that Paul would be 28 "if" he had survived !)
You can't mess with my brain, Elvis :wink: :lol: !
VG wrote
I guess the Birmingham date will be a bar of chocolate...
As if there aren't other symbols he could us for Britain's second city like two underachieving football teams ( whoops there goes the North East, Merseyside, Glasgow, North London, Bristol, the whole of Yorkshire, etc etc ...........)
Last edited by sulky lad on Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

You guys are gonna have a fun 2020!
Offshoreram

Post by Offshoreram »

The Just Trust Thursday Clue
"Directions from Wigan Pier; walk softly and carry a little stick" #justtrustuk2020

I'm struggling with this one

Is the Wigan Pier something to do with George Orwell?

"walk softly and carry a little stick", something to do with Theodore Roosevelt?

Who is the photo of?
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Wigan Pier - clear reference to 'seaside' aspects of the tour - :lol:

I thought photo was of George Harrison, but a Twitter-er suggests it's Graham Nash, echoing the earlier clue that a show will feature in Mudchester :(

Colin Top Balcony