Elvis & The Imposters play Mohegan Sun Arena, July 21, 2019

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Elvis & The Imposters play Mohegan Sun Arena, July 21, 2019

Post by Man out of Time »

As part of their joint headlining tour with Blondie, EC and the Imposters play Mohegan Sun Arena, Uncasville, CT on Sunday, July 21, 2019. This preview was published on the website of the venue on April 2: Mohegansun.com

"Elvis Costello & The Imposters And Blondie Embark On Co-Headlining Summer Tour

Performing at Mohegan Sun Arena on Sunday, July 21st

Elvis Costello & The Imposters and Blondie will co-headline a coast-to-coast tour this summer. The 13-city tour will make a stop at Mohegan Sun Arena on Sunday, July 21st at 7:00pm.

Tickets are $75.00, $55.00 and $35.00 and go on sale Saturday, April 6th at 10:00am through Ticketmaster. Ticketmaster customers may log on to Ticketmaster.com or call Ticketmaster’s national toll free Charge By Phone number 1.800.745.3000. Tickets will also be available at the Mohegan Sun Box Office beginning on Sunday, April 7th at 10:00am, subject to availability.

Elvis Costello’s wide-ranging recording career began in 1977 with the release of My Aim Is True in a catalogue that include such diverse highlights as This Year’s Model, Get Happy, Imperial Bedroom, King Of America, Blood & Chocolate, The Juliet Letters with the Brodsky Quartet, The River In Reverse with Allen Toussaint and Wise Up Ghost with The Roots.

Elvis Costello & The Imposters’ widely renowned Look Now was released in 2018 and of which Variety said, “It’s so funny to be seeing him, after all this time, making a great cake of an album that doesn’t really sound that much like any of the 30 before it.” The catalogue will soon include the E.P., Purse, containing songwriting collaborations with Burt Bacharach and Paul McCartney and musical settings of lyrics by Johnny Cash and Bob Dylan.

Since the release of their self-titled debut album in 1976, Blondie has brought the worlds of Rock, Punk, Disco and Ska together and racked up four indelible Billboard Hot 100 #1 hits – “Heart of Glass,” “Call Me,” “The Tide Is High” and “Rapture ” – as well as six #1s on the UK Singles Chart including “Maria,” “Sunday Girl” and “Atomic.” Debbie Harry – genre-spanning visionary, complex songstress, incandescent front woman and style icon – and the band’s boundary-pushing Pop have shaped the look and sound of many chart-topping female artists who have followed and have made Blondie widely recognized as one of the most influential bands of our time.

Ever the bona fide international ambassadors of New York cool, Blondie – vocalist-songwriter Debbie Harry, guitarist and co-writer Chris Stein, powerhouse drummer Clem Burke, and long-time band members bassist Leigh Foxx, guitarist Tommy Kessler and keyboardist Matt Katz-Bohen – has become and still remains a true national treasure; one whose influence both shaped and continues to inform the worlds of music, fashion, art and pop culture. Blondie’s chart-topping success, fearless spirit and rare longevity led to an induction into the Rock ‘N’ Roll Hall of Fame in 2006, a NME Godlike Genius Award in 2014, a Q Award for Outstanding Contribution to Music in 2016, and more than 50 million albums sold worldwide to date."

Who's going?

MOOT
bronxapostle

Re: Elvis & The Imposters play Mohegan Sun Arena, July 21, 2019

Post by bronxapostle »

Too close to home to miss...I WILL BE THERE,

ONE WAY OR ANOTHER!!! :lol: :P :lol:
krm

Post by krm »

bronxapostle wrote:Too close to home to miss...I WILL BE THERE,

ONE WAY OR ANOTHER!!! :lol: :P :lol:
Great ba!!!!
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Great news BA - the question is digital or ANALOGUE !!!! :wink:
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

TWO TICKETS to show number two on this great tour in my pocket. NOW, I MUST FIGHT THE URGE TO VIEW THAT OPENING NIGHT setlist for those twenty hours. :lol: :lol:
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Gonna bump THIS original thread for tonight's show. Ten hours till showtime. Hope last night was great for those in the Woods, despite the weather and the delay. Other than viewing that info, I HAVE NOT PERUSED ANY SETLIST. it's easy to be strong when you attend the second show. :lol: :lol: :lol: enjoy tonight and/or whatever show you attend all. ba
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Have a wonderful time, BA, what number EC is this ?!!
Hope there's at least a couple of new songs to add to your list :D
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/elvis-co ... e39ce.html

Setlist

Pump It Up
Clubland
Accidents Will Happen
Green Shirt
Photographs Can Lie
Burnt Sugar Is So Bitter
Beyond Belief
Watching the Detectives
Less Than Zero
(I Don't Want to Go to) Chelsea
This Year's Girl
Mr. & Mrs. Hush
Mystery Dance
I Can't Stand Up for Falling Down
High Fidelity
Every Day I Write the Book
Alison (With snippets of “The Tracks… more )
Encore:
(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

BLONDIE 90 MINUTES, GREAT!!
ELVIS 85 MINUTES, VERY GOOD!
winner: BLONDIE
stricttime81

Post by stricttime81 »

My decision not to go to these Blondie shows is looking better and better :lol:
AKA: Mike the Lawyer
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

stricttime81 wrote:My decision not to go to these Blondie shows is looking better and better :lol:
Nooooo, you should go once
Arbogast

Post by Arbogast »

Gotta admit, the set list isn't wowing me...as I'd expected given the shortened set time on this tour. The Gettysburg set, on the other hand....
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.theday.com/article/20190722/ENT10/190729867

Review: Elvis Costello pumps it up in Mohegan Sun concert

Last July, Elvis Costello canceled the rest of his tour after he was diagnosed with cancer.

This year, Costello has returned to the road, and, man, does he seem jazzed to be back. He ripped it up at his show Sunday at Mohegan Sun Arena, where he co-headlined with Blondie.

Costello was like a locomotive of rock, powering through classic song after song. He slowed things down a couple of times, for Burt Bacharach’s “The Look of Love” and for a lovely version of “Alison” (working a bit of “The Tracks of My Tears’ into the latter), but otherwise, this was a fiery rave. Costello, dressed in a black suit and eventually doffing his jacket, chatted briefly between a few songs. Most of the time, though, he barreled from one into the next number, refusing the show’s energy lag.

And, no, the 64-year-old Costello never mentioned his 2018 cancer diagnosis. At the time, he said that it was “a small but very aggressive cancerous malignancy.” He never specified the type of cancer. Late last year, he downplayed the seriousness of it in a “CBS This Morning” interview. He said, “I was receiving letters for three weeks. No, I am not dying! It’s not to make a joke of it, because you don’t have to walk very far to find somebody you love who’s genuinely having a fight (with cancer).”

Costello’s voice was robust on Sunday, and his guitar playing was virtuosic.

His band The Imposters (drummer Pete Thomas, keyboard player Steve Nieve, and bassist Davey Faragher), attacked the songs just as aggressively as their leader did. Backup singers Brianna Lee and Kitten Kuroi not only never stopped moving, dancing through the night, but they also provided killer vocals.

Costello & the Imposters closed out the night with an hour-and-a-half set. Blondie took to the stage first and likewise played for an hour and a half.

They opened with “Call Me” and wrapped up with “Dreaming” and, in between, broke out all their hits. They also offered some surprises, including a version of “Old Town Road,” which Harry did oh-so-well. After Harry mentioned the sweltering temperatures of the weekend, she and the band segued into “Wipe Off My Sweat” — very funny.

As for Harry’s voice, it sounded a bit weathered Sunday. (Age, of course, comes with its concessions — Harry is 74 — and no one’s voice stays as dynamic as it was decades earlier.) Harry’s vocals seemed more on-point as Blondie’s set went on, perhaps the result of her becoming more warmed up or of later songs being in a more comfortable range.

Whatever the case, Harry still commands the stage like a cool rock star. She wore chic sunglasses for the first part of the concert, and her silvery, voluminously multilayered outfit was perfect for a singer on stage, reflecting the light beautifully. She shimmied and danced and waved to fans. She got lots of love; some fans made catcalls, and others bellowed, “We love you, Debbie!”

The band sounded muscular throughout the night. Tommy Kessler, a relative youngster who joined Blondie in 2010, handled the heavy guitar work (even playing the instrument behind his head at one point). Blondie co-founder Chris Stein, 69, played guitar, too, as he sat on a stool for most of the concert before standing to perform with Kessler briefly during “Heart of Glass.”

And the secret weapon of Blondie? Clem Burke, who has been a member of the group since shortly after it formed. Wearing a CBGB shirt, he pounded out propulsive rhythms that really drove the tunes all night.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Clem is a beast. That is all.
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

docinwestchester wrote:Clem is a beast. That is all.
Yup. No doubt.
Good to hear that he's still got it.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Dr. Luther wrote:
docinwestchester wrote:Clem is a beast. That is all.
Yup. No doubt.
Good to hear that he's still got it.
My two fave drummers in one night!! :D :D
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Arbogast wrote:Gotta admit, the set list isn't wowing me...as I'd expected given the shortened set time on this tour. The Gettysburg set, on the other hand....
So glad he did the warm up in Gettysburg. Small theatre 30 miles away. Thank you, Elvis.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.thesunchronicle.com/go/musi ... ac397.html

Concert review: Elvis, Blondie bring new wave/punk nostalgia into the Sun

Blondie and Elvis Costello sure make for suitable touring partners.

The new wave/punk icons from the ‘70s and ‘80s, and their latest bands, played separate 90-minute sets Sunday night at Mohegan Sun Arena.

Costello was the headliner, and he and his band The Imposters played 18 songs from his eclectic musical career, starting off with the fiesty 1978 tune “Pump It Up” and onto “Clubland,” which featured tropical-colored video.

Two songs from 1979, “Accidents Will Happen” and “Green Shirt,” made it appear the set was going to go in chronological order.

The piano-heavy “Photographs Can Lie” is off last year’s “Look Now,” Costello’s second collaboration with Burt Bacharach.

It was followed by another song off that album, “Burnt Sugar Is So Bitter,” which Costello wrote with Carole King in the 1990s.

“Watching the Detectives” from 1978 was played with posters from old movies on the large video screen behind the stage. The organ was prominent on “(I Don’t Want to Go to) Chelsea.” “This Year’s Girl” was another vintage tune.

Following “Mystery Dance” and “I Can’t Stand Up for Falling Down,” a Sam and Dave cover, the two female backup singers joined the singer/songwriter/guitarist on stage for “High Fidelity.”

The melodic “Every Day I Write the Book” from 1983 was extended with band member intros, and a slowed down version of “Alison” had parts of Smokey Robinson’s “Tracks of My Tears.”

The sole song in the encore was 1979’s high-energy protest anthem “(What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding,” where video of military personnel was shown, including some of Costello’s relatives.

Blondie

Blondie opened with the 1980 No. 1 “Call Me,” on which guitarist played a lap piano, and fast-paced “One Way or Another” from two years earlier.

“Doom or Destiny,” “Rifle Range,” “Fun,” and “Picture This” segued into the snappy 1999 comeback hit “Maria.”

A highlight was “Rapture,” one of the first rap songs.

Alluding to the humid and hot weather, lead singer Debbie Harry, 74, sang “Wipe Off My Sweat,” which featured acoustic guitar.

After “Fade Away and Radiate” was the charter-topper “The Tide Is High,” in which the keyboardist played two keyboards at once.

Fire was shown on the screen for “Atomic” and the band closed with the 1978 arm-waving smash “Heart of Glass,” the first new wave song to cross over to disco, and the sweet “Dreaming.”
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://southingtonobserver.com/2019/07/ ... ears-pass/

Review: Former punksters Blondie, Elvis Costello get better as years pass

What happens to punk rockers 40-plus years after they recorded their first album.
For some of the army of disaffected musical youth of 1976-1979, the question is moot. Many have become an obituary.
Think of, for example, Sid Vicious (Sex Pistols), Stiv Bators (The Dead Boys), and Richard Hell (Television).
For some, they become a footnote in rock and roll history.
Think of… well, you don’t think of them because many of these footnotes have been forgotten.
For the rare few, you become really good musicians always vying to be better artists and blaze your own trail.
That has been the case of Blondie and Elvis Costello, who teamed up for a bang-up concert at the Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville on July 21.
Both bands upon their arrival on the music scene in the time of Jimmy Carter were filled with spit and vinegar as befitting the punk era.
Blondie, which found a home at the legendary C.B.G.B.’s with other groundbreaking bands such as the Ramones and Talking Heads, showed their guts by turning to beach music and girl groups for their inspiration. Keep in mind, at the time, some bands were suffering from a psychedelic hangover and other bands were trying to be the next Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd. Elvis Costello,instead, was the angry young man that drew upon punk’s “Up yours” attitude to fuel his repertoire. He was the guy willing to kick James Taylor’s butt.
However, unlike some of their musical peers, both Blondie and Elvis Costello had other aspirations than shake a fist at the world.
Blondie always had the air of a New York art scene project. It’s willingness to mine other musical genres- rap, disco, reggae, power pop, and the aforementioned beach music and girl groups could best be described as a musical collage. They had more on their mind than another hit single (although they had a few of those). They wanted to open the ears of the general public.

Costello on the other hand revealed through his music, about four albums into his career, that he wanted to be more than acerbic and rebellious. Like some of his fellow angry young men of the punk new wave era (Joe Jackson and Graham Parker), he wanted to be a singer songwriter. Eventually he worked with tunesmiths such as Paul McCartney, Burt Bacharach, and Carole King. He even tried his hand recording an entire album backed by a string quartet.
Punk and new wave may have provided a launching pad for Blondie and Costello but both bands refused to let those genres become their prison.
At the Mohegan, both acts showed subtle hints of their punk roots by refusing to become mere oldies stations on satellite radio.
Blondie dipped several times into its latest release, 2017’s “Pollinator” even though the fans were clearly waiting for “Rapture” and “Heart of Glass.”
Costello dove in and out of the deep tracks of his iconic albums. He also pulled out tracks from some lesser known, but still artistically intriguing, efforts .
Both acts also were interested in keeping their audiences on their toes. Thanks to the web, the setlists of many acts are available so fans can anticipate what they will hear at their particular show. Many bands will not vary from that list.
But, although there were some similarities night after night, both Blondie and Costello shake up what they play every night.
So you got some surprises.
Blondie pulled out the hook-filled and fun “Wipe Off My Sweat” from 2011’s “Panic of Girls.”
Costello trotted out “The Look of Love” from his former writing partner Burt Bacharach.

In their punk days playing with velocity and abandon was expected.
But with youthful spirit relegated to the past, both acts showed a superb command of musicianship. Blondie and Elvis Costello and the Imposters were tight and polished (which would have horrified the punksters of old). And both Blondie lead singer Debbie Harry and Elvis Costello showed their voices have not been diminished by the passing of time even if perhaps the keys have dipped a few tones lower.
Blondie and Elvis Costello and the Imposters proved at the Mohegan Sun Arena that even though the years have passed by, their talent has not faded in the least. They are artists still striving to keep that creative mojo flowing.
I give the evening of Blondie and Elvis Costello at the Mohegan Sun Arena on July 21 five out of five stars.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Agree for the most part, but Richard Hell lives on.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://bestclassicbands.com/costello-b ... w-7-23-19/

Elvis Costello, Blondie Concert: Satisfying Variety

Across the land, venues are blanketed in deep drifts of nostalgia, trotting out farewell-this and reunion-that as long-ago hits erupt in arenas packed with the greying. Some acts fly solo and some bring friends, packaged together in barnstorming assortments that range anywhere from the cynical to the sublime. Closer to the latter is the current combination of Elvis Costello and the Imposters and Blondie, which would have been a cutting-edge sensation if assembled in 1979, and somehow remains a remarkable enticement 40 years on. The double feature made its second of 13 scheduled stops July 21 before a full house at the Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Conn., and delivered satisfying variety with performances that had little in common, yet shared appeals to lovers of off-center music.

As they did the night before when the tour kicked off in Bethel, N.Y., Blondie opened the program. Half of the band’s current six-piece lineup is holdovers from its seminal 1970s and ’80s run, not least singer Debbie Harry, who at 74 is five years older than co-founder Chris Stein and 10 older than drummer Clem Burke. Harry remains the band’s defining face, but Burke’s contributions are equally important to group identity, which was clear in the insistent rattle he generated as the band took the stage under a wash of red light for its 1980 hit “Call Me.”

Harry remains a wellspring of quirky glamour, ambling onstage in a busily decorated cape that read DEJAR DE FOLLAR EL PLANETA on the back (with STOP FUCKING THE PLANET stitched vertically onto a front edge in case anyone needed a handy translation) atop a silver-and-black striped frock—it wouldn’t be fair to call the dress shapeless, because it had one, even if it didn’t remotely resemble Harry’s own—underneath it, and a pair of slightly oversized sunglasses. Her singing jabbed at high tones on occasion, but also floated quite a bit, plainly at ease with the material and her ability to shape it. Her handling of “One Way or Another” had none of the sneering urgency of the original recording, but her cooler approach didn’t lack for personality.

Even after so many years, Blondie still oozes the artsy punk grit in its DNA, augmented by a presentation that included plenty of junk footage—static, test patterns and geometric noise—that smartly established a clubby vibe as it cycled through a trio of onstage video screens both acts shared. More elaborate material backed “Doom or Destiny,” drawn from the group’s 2017 album Pollinator, but even that bit was on-brand with its rapid succession of oddball visuals, a testament to the band’s recognition of its iconography’s power.

Harry was a touch loose with lyrics here and there and had a hard time finding an on-ramp at the start of “Maria,” but inevitably wound up where she needed to be. She finessed “Rapture” carefully, showing some of its more challenging vocal demands to be beyond her reach, but was effective in coloring its out-there passages. With Leigh Foxx’s bass plumping its low end, the tune chugged pleasantly, right through its delightfully archaic rap, until its “And now he only eats guitars” line cued a sharp Stein solo trip.

A brief and rather puffy rock rendition of current “it” song “Old Town Road” intended to highlight how music always offers something new, but its by-the-numbers importation landed just this side of pandering. Even the well-worn 1980 hit “The Tide is High” felt more organic, with Harry’s comfortable caress and a detour interpolating Dee-Lite’s “Groove Is in the Heart” along the way.

Sweating through an old-school CBGB shirt behind his drum kit, Burke added deliberate drama to the ever-oddball “Fade Away and Radiate,” and delivered an anchoring presence alongside the throbbing Matt Katz-Bohen synthesizer on the still-grabby crossbreed of rock and disco “Heart of Glass.” Blondie closed their 90 minutes (slightly longer than Costello’s set would prove to be) with “Dreaming,” placing Harry’s relaxed vocal saunter alongside Burke’s propulsive force, a pleasant coalescing of their complementary elements.

It took less than half an hour to turn the stage around for Costello, whose hard-charging rock baseline marked a striking change of gears from Blondie’s more pop-friendly textures. Fronting a six-piece of his own—the Imposers quartet that he led plus two backing singers—Costello lunged into the throwback rock of his 1978 tune “Pump it Up,” contributing his own sharp bark and sinewy electric guitar line. With the versatile Steve Nieve prodding on piano, another trip to the archives followed, with Costello reaching back to 1981 to holler “Clubland.”

Last October saw Costello’s first album in five years, Look Now, from which was drawn the crooning-friendly Burt Bacharach collaboration “Photographs Can Lie.” Costello floated into the tune with an appropriate taste of his co-writer’s “The Look of Love,” which inspired images of Costello working out the song’s particulars at home with wife Diana Krall, who has a bit of history with the number. He returned to the disc twice more, with Pete Thomas’ drums pushing the sturdy “Burnt Sugar Is So Bitter” and making a last-second detour from his planned setlist for the R&B-draped rock of “Mr. and Mrs. Hush.”

Just over a year ago, Costello canceled a string of dates in the wake of successful cancer treatments—now 64 and back on the road, he seemed in good health and at ease, stripping off the jacket from his navy blue suit and vest combination to add arch urgency to the snaky, reggae-laced and acidic 1977 hoot “Watching the Detectives.”

Costello’s vocals were augmented by the crisp backup of Kitten Kuroi and Briana Lee, who joined him at the front of the stage to help power the feisty “I Can’t Stand Up for Falling Down” and the organ-trimmed “High Fidelity.” They added clout to the stout sway of “Everyday I Write the Book,” a 1983 track Costello once described as “a bad Smokey Robinson song,” but which perfectly captures Costello’s atypically cerebral appeal in the rock milieu.

The mellow slow burn of “Alison” closed the set on a relaxing note, as Costello briefly surveyed “The Tracks of My Tears” (which sounded like a good Smokey Robinson song), “The Wind Cries Mary” and “Over the Rainbow” along the way. He soon returned in a sparkly jacket for a one-song encore, traveling back to 1979 for the Nick Lowe-penned “(What’s So Funny ’Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding,” a high-octane offering that encapsulated what was to like about the night’s double bill, displaying charms still considerable even after those 40 years.