Elvis & The Imposters, Vancouver, BC, Canada, Queen Elizabeth Theatre , Dec. 4th 2018

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis & The Imposters, Vancouver, BC, Canada, Queen Elizabeth Theatre , Dec. 4th 2018

Post by johnfoyle »

Who's going?
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis & The Imposters, Vancouver, BC, Canada, Queen Elizabeth Theatre , Dec. 4th 2018

Post by johnfoyle »

Anyone ?
And No Coffee Table

Re: Elvis & The Imposters, Vancouver, BC, Canada, Queen Elizabeth Theatre , Dec. 4th 2018

Post by And No Coffee Table »

"I Let The Sun Go Down" wasn't played at any of the US shows. Will it finally make an appearance in Canada, or will it have to wait for the eventual UK dates?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

And No Coffee Table wrote:"I Let The Sun Go Down" wasn't played at any of the US shows. Will it finally make an appearance in Canada, or will it have to wait for the eventual UK dates?
Good luck with that one appearing. The BIG psychedelic bridge would be nearly impossible to perform live. Or was the song actually already once performed solo live? I guess a slightly reworked, simpler arrangement can come to pass. Myself? I love the tune.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

ANCT Wrote
or will it have to wait for the eventual UK dates?
You're just winding us up aren't you, unless you've got some insider information !! :shock:
And No Coffee Table

sulky lad wrote:You're just winding us up aren't you, unless you've got some insider information !! :shock:
He told Jools Holland that European dates would be announced shortly, but that was in October.
And No Coffee Table

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... _Vancouver

01. This Year's Girl
02. Honey, Are You Straight Or Are You Blind?
03. Clubland
04. Green Shirt
05. Photographs Can Lie - including The Look Of Love intro
06. Burnt Sugar Is So Bitter
07. Tears Before Bedtime - including Heartbreak Hotel
08. The Beat
09. Sugar Won't Work
10. Watching The Detectives - including Invisible Lady
11. Deep Dark Truthful Mirror
12. Radio, Radio
13. High Fidelity
14. Suspect My Tears
15. Unwanted Number / It Takes Time
16. Alison
17. Everyday I Write The Book - including Mr. Big Stuff
Encore 1
18. Accidents Will Happen - EC & Steve Nieve
19. Almost Blue
20. Don't Look Now
21. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
22. Girls Talk
23. Under Lime - including Jimmie Standing In The Rain intro
24. I Want You
25. Mr. & Mrs. Hush
26. Pump It Up
Encore 2
27. A Face In The Crowd
28. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The performance in 2015 of I Let The Sun Go Down can heard via this -

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... 25_Cardiff
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

John Foyle wrote
The performance in 2015 of I Let The Sun Go Down can heard via this -
http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... 25_Cardiff
I blush at the acknowledgement of who made this recording available to you all!!! :oops: :wink:
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Errr, can we put the one song here kindly? Thanks guys.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

bronxapostle wrote:Errr, can we put the one song here kindly? Thanks guys.
Ask and ye shall receive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNas9XoGLVk
rightbrain

Post by rightbrain »

Lovely. Thanks so much for posting. One of my favorite songs from LOOK NOW, and as presented here, the piano tune/melody would have fit beautifully with the second-half of NORTH.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Thanks DOC.. .
WOW JUST WOW!!!
2 things here. Firstly, amazing how close this take is in all ways to the one released 3 years after. I guess it was one of those songs that just comes to be completely as it is first written. Secondly, AIN'T IF UTTERLY ASTOUNDING HOW GREATLY HE DEBUTS THE SONG LIVE? anyone would be hard pressed to NOT think he sang it MANY times before this take. BUT, I HAVE SEEN THIS BEFORE OVER THE YEARS. Simply, it is why, truly, ELVIS IS KING!
jardine

Post by jardine »

Lovely to hear, thanks. Can anyone help me understand why something about his vocals sound, what? Flat on some live recordings? I know it couldn't be that he IS singing flat...must be some sort of acoustic issue with recordings like this one, that the echo/space of the lowish-fidelity sound betrays something...very weirdly consistent as to why I have trouble with (some) live recordings.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Jardine wrote
lowish fidelity recordings
!!!
I’ll have you know this was Sounds professional microphones into 24 but digital recording my lad not a Boots the chemist cassette recorder stuffed up an anorak Like I did in the 70s :shock: :wink:
I can’t quite work out why he sometimes sounds flat either . For a couple of years on the Detour era I cringed when he did Shipbuilding and I’m not sure if it was to do with the ear pieces he wore . VG and I have observed Elvis pull them out during songs where they seem to have irritated him or put him off . Did he use them on this Look Now tour ?
jardine

Post by jardine »

don't look now vancouver
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkaqRbTRhjs

still slightly off somehow...i'm wondering if part of his vibrato gets "picked up" by whoever is recording and . . . oh heck, i don't know!

for those of you who frequent concerts, is this noticeable at all? (i don't want to make too much of this, just mainly fascinated)
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

sulky lad wrote: VG and I have observed Elvis pull them out during songs where they seem to have irritated him or put him off . Did he use them on this Look Now tour ?
Not in Asbury Park.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

docinwestchester wrote:
sulky lad wrote: VG and I have observed Elvis pull them out during songs where they seem to have irritated him or put him off . Did he use them on this Look Now tour ?
Not in Asbury Park.

no, did not see them this tour.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://vancouverweekly.com/elvis-costel ... e-62476-2/

Elvis Costello brings it home
Elvis Costello and the Imposters at the Queen Elizabeth Theatre, 12/04/18

Elvis Costello chose Vancouver as his final stop on his tour for the album Look Now. It’s not hard to wonder why. His ties to B.C. started 15 years ago when he married Nanaimo’s Diana Krall. Look Now is the artist’s 24th studio release and was featured heavily throughout the night.

Flanked by longtime attractions and Imposters, Steve Nieve on keyboards and Pete Thomas on drums the London native kicked off with fan favourite “This Year’s Girl.”

“It’s good to be home,” he told the sold out audience before diving into “Green Shirt,” – “a song written last century.”

The veteran played some 70 tracks on the tour, so he clearly knows how to mix it up for the crowd. The tour nearly didn’t happen, as Costello was forced to cancel dates for a cancer-related surgery. He is back and no worse for the wear. He wove new numbers into a powerful trio of favourites starting with a ska-style “Watching the Detectives,” followed by “Deep Dark Truthful Mirror” and “Radio, Radio.” The versatile musician didn’t stray too far from his fender, except for a brief appearance at the electric piano.

The new record is a throwback to another era and it was well captured when Costello was joined in harmonies by his two excellent touring backing vocalists, Kitten Kuroi and Briana Lee. The pair particularly shined on the classic “Allison,” as well as “Every Day I Write the Book.” One was left to wonder why they did not feature more.

Costello asked if he was allowed to call Vancouver home yet, before beaming about all his friends and family in attendance, and especially “my two boys!”

The main set was a healthy two hours and 17 songs, but there was clearly more to come. After a short break, Costello kicked off the encore accompanied only by the excellent Nieve on the grand piano for “Accidents Will Happen.” This was followed by the Soul Ballad “Almost Blue” from the Imperial Bedroom record. “Under Lime” is the peppiest track from the new record and had the Tuesday night crowd bopping before he closed the first encore with “Pump it Up,” which had everyone on their feet.

Costello left the stage after the nine-song encore, only to come back for two more, including the evening closer, Nick Lowe-penned “What’s so Funny about) Peace, Love and Understanding.” This gave everyone what they had been waiting for and ensured all would exit into the brisk winter night with smiles on their faces.

He is no rookie, but all signs point to more homecomings.

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
emotional_fascism076

Post by emotional_fascism076 »

Very nice audio of these. Will any of the newer shows be shared on the wiki?
Who on earth is tapping at the window?
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

The theatre website vancouver-theatre.com has 18 customer reviews of this show, some positive, some less so.... There seems to be a consensus that there were issues with the sound. For some reason, reviews of the Vancouver show are mixed in with reviews of the previous show at the Wiltern Theater in Los Angeles California, so I have tried to weed those out.

"3.0 star rating Annonymous from Vancouver, British Columbia

QUITE DISAPPONTING

The sound was terrible and ECs vocals were quite often off key. Indeed the backup singers saved the day! Would have enjoyed hearing more of his older hits. Queen E is a great venue and I’ve seen many fantastic concerts there but this was not one of them.

3.0 star rating Franco DiSalvo from Vancouver, British Columbia

FIRST TIME WITH ELVIS - GUTSY PERFORMANCE ALL CONSIDERDED

I was really looking forward to seeing Elvis Costello. I have been a big fan for a very long time but for one reason or the other, never made it to any of his shows. The sound, especially the vocals were horrible. There is no excuse in this day and age. The QE Theatre generally has good acoustics. Granted EC was struggling with a cold and coming off a long tour, but the vocals were inaudible. He also had to undergo cancer treatment in July, so he pulled off a gutsy performance. His artistic flair is still evident, although I wish he had stuck to his original versions. The fans leaving early was distracting and I couldn't help but feel that EC deserved better. His set last nearly 3 hours which is unheard of these days. The back up singers saved the performance for the most part. They were incredible. Elvis Costello is a great performer and Canadian. Yes, I hope to see him again.

2.0 star rating Big D from Vancouver, British Columbia

WHAT’S WITH THE SOUND?

I love Elvis...I’ve seen him many times...but last night was kind of sad. Really bad sound, and Elvis was struggling to hit the notes and even sing on key. I hope it was because of his cold but the energy was low and overall Imwas disappointed.

1.0 star rating James Martin from Vancouver, British Columbia

AT LEAST I GOT HOME EARLY!

This is the 3rd time I've seen Elvis C and I have to say, I was very disappointed. I now read from other reviews that he was battling a cold, which explains some of the poor quality vocals and sound. We left after song 5 and cut our losses. I'm going to leave my memory of the last 2 concerts and try to erase this one. I appreciated the early night, so every cloud has a silver linning.

2.0 star rating Neil from NV from Vancouver, British Columbia

A FOR EFFORT BUT RUINED BY TERRIBLE SOUND

A for effort to Elvis and the Imposters. They played for almost 3 hours, but Elvis was battling a cold and the the concert featured probably the worst sound I've ever heard - and judging from the other comments posted here and the number of people leaving the concert at different points in the night, it wasn't just me and my guest. All very surprising because the QE Theatre usually has decent acoustics. Unfortunately, the poor sound and Elvis's strained vocals won out. Ironically, the two back up singers stole the limelight. They provided pretty much the only activity taking place on stage and displayed wonderful vocal prowess when permitted, but they were also a jarring contrast to the otherwise staid band members. Pity, it had the makings of a great show.

2.0 star rating Jade from Vancouver, British Columbia

BAD SOUND , NO SPARK

I love Elvis and have seen him 6 times. I hope his struggle to hit the notes was due to a cold and not him losing what was once such a great voice. The sound was just awful and stayed that way throughout the night. Elvis, get a better sound guy! The only spark came from the two back up singers who were also hard to hear due to the sound system . Even the amazing Steve Nieve’s playing sounded tinny. So disappointing.

3.0 star rating Jonathan from Vancouver, British Columbia

TOO BAD ABOUT THE POOR SOUND

It’s going to be pretty tough to please everyone when your career spans 40 years, but we were hoping to hear some of the 70’s and 80’s stuff played in the original arrangements. Didn’t really care for the somewhat ‘wanky’ departures during classics like Watching the Detectives, and those backup singers were completely unnecessary. Elvis is still a way awesome cat though, so cool to see him still rockin’ it!

3.0 star rating from Vancouver, British Columbia

ADMIRABLY LONG CONCERT, MOSTLY POOR VOCALS FROM EC

Nice that Elvis sang a long (2 hr 45 min) show despite battling a bad cold. Much of his singing was pitchy and froggy. (I understand the frogginess, but does a cold make you go off pitch?) His vocals improved as the night went on. Weird rendition of Watching the Detectives, good versions of Pump It Up and What so Funny About Peace, Love and Understanding. Great band (love Pete Thomas's drumming). Thanks god for the back up singers. Elvis did offer some great tortured-sounding guitar leads. I think if he wasn't sick this would be a 4 star (or even five) star show.

3.0 star rating MatWin from Vancouver, British Columbia

DISAPPOINTING

His voice was not up to par. The sound could have been better. All the energy came from the 2 back up singers who were great. Did not stay for the encore, which is a first.

1.0 star rating Jennifer from Vancouver, British Columbia

DISAPPOINTED

Muddy sound really ruined the show. Need to hire some decent sound men because an artist of this stature should sound so much better. Could not understand vocals at all. His guitar playing was excellent but overall a very amateur show"

Oddly, there is no response from the venue management to all the complaints about the sound quality.

MOOT