My Darling Clementine working with Steve Nieve on an album of EC covers , 2020

Pretty self-explanatory
sulky lad

Re: My Darling Clementine working with Steve Nieve on an album of EC covers , 2019?

Post by sulky lad »

I’m in my hotel high above the bridge having driven around most of south Yorkshire with no WiFi trying to find my way - left home at 7:50 this morning. I’ll be there with Cocktail Muderess and Spirit of Curiosity
Goon Squad

Re: My Darling Clementine working with Steve Nieve on an album of EC covers , 2019? / Steve Nieve Hebden Bridge

Post by Goon Squad »

sulky lad wrote:I’m in my hotel high above the bridge having driven around most of south Yorkshire with no WiFi trying to find my way - left home at 7:50 this morning. I’ll be there with Cocktail Muderess and Spirit of Curiosity
Can't wait to hear your review Sulky !

Gutted I couldn't make the long journey. I emailed Steve's website yesterday afternoon asking whether there would be some dates down south, and even got a personal reply from the great man while he was on route. What a top man ! Apparently, he said, they were having a nightmare journey on the trains! He also said that if last night went well there may be some more dates September onwards.
Fingers crossed !
Please tell us it was good Sulky............................!
verbal gymnastics

Re: My Darling Clementine working with Steve Nieve on an album of EC covers , 2019?

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Set list please. And would there have been anyone there who, perchance, might have recorded the show...
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Goon Squad

Post by Goon Squad »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Set list please. And would there have been anyone there who, perchance, might have recorded the show...
:wink:
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Set list please. And would there have been anyone there who, perchance, might have recorded the show...
I'm gonna ask Steve directly.... he is quite amenable at his email AND facebook friendship both.
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

Ian was there I know they did a tribute to Mark Hollis and sang its my life
Goon Squad

Post by Goon Squad »

In his email to me, Steve said the singer AJUQ was his step-son.

Come on Sulky........................we await your run down !
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I’m having trouble with the flash card from my recording so can’t do a comprehensive set list and I’m not sites how to generate a digital recording from it though it does still play ok on the recorder. There were a smattering of Talk Talk songs which really didn’t have the strength of the Costello songs. Steve did a couple of his own new compositions and sang on his inimitable, ethereal voice , AJUQ is tall Ulysses from past ventures but his voice is stronger than before and he absolutely nailed Country Darnesd. Bit of a cock up with the key change in Olivers Army and Steve wanted to come back for one more encore but they were ushered aside by the management. My Darling Clementine were there and Andy from Scotland showed Steve his poster for a cancelled Steve show promoting Keyboard Jungle ! Fascinating but o couldn’t get a picture of it. I gave him a folder of the 40 year anniversary comments with some soundboards and he seemed genuinely pleased. I really liked his new songs and he had his own way with quirky lyrics but it’s his playing I long to hear the most and that was sometimes subsumed in playing songs like the Mark Hollis ones - just a personal opinion!
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Sulky

This seems to have been quite a different show to the epic one Steve played to open the Music Room at Liverpool's Phil in 2015, am I right?

Sorry I couldn't make it.

Colin Top Balcony
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

The show was very low key and somewhat experimental, through the Steve songs were perfectly acceptable and well worth laying down in the studio. For me the Talk Talk songs were i) unfamiliar and ii) generally less well written and I didn't come away thinking I'd have to familiarise myself with the music of Talk Talk - quite the reverse. Shall work on my little flash recording over the beginning of next week as I'm working over the weekend!
What still feels so obvious to me is that Steve is such an accomplished player that he can work magic into almost anything but the Hollis songs didn't stretch him as much as some of the other material - there again he set the bar incerdibly high by starting with a piano ( Kemble upright -no doubt loaned from the local primary school (sic)) version of Shot With His Own Gun - fantastic playing!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Michael Weston King posts today on Facebook-

It’s been a while since we (My Darling Clementine) were last in the studio and in all honesty I had a certain amount of trepidation about returning

So, our humble thanks to Steve Nieve, Colin Elliot, Shez Sheridan and Dean Beresford for making the time under the red light so enjoyable, and rewarding.

Also thanks to Ian Sephton, Muriel Teodori, and others un-named for now, for helping facilitate these sessions in Trouville, France and Sheffield, England

The fruits of our labours will be ready for picking “before the winter comes" #countrydarkness
Hawksmoor

Re: They call her Natasha

Post by Hawksmoor »

migdd wrote:Not to be pedantic, but Belmont actually ably filled in for Steve Nieve after Steve had a car accident and couldn't make several dates during the tour which followed the release of Get Happy, including the night at the Hope and Anchor in 1980. Bruce did cut his hand a year or two earlier and was subbed on bass by Nick Lowe and the late Phil Lynott on various nights of the 1978 tour.

Interesting hearing about Lou after all these years.
Whoa. I mean, this post is more than a decade old, but it's the first time I came across it.

Phil Lynott played bass for the Attractions in 1978?

Do any recordings of this exist?
Ulster Boy

Post by Ulster Boy »

Roundhouse, April 1978. There’s a photo on the wiki
http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... hil_Lynott
krm

Re: They call her Natasha

Post by krm »

Hawksmoor wrote:
Do any recordings of this exist?
Yes
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Phil only came in on an encore of Mystery Dance
at the Roundhouse in April 1978 but recordings have apparently been widely circulated recently as part of the 40 year anniversary of live Elvis performances posted by some nerdy OCD member is this forum :roll:
Goon Squad

Post by Goon Squad »

sulky lad wrote:Phil only came in on an encore of Mystery Dance
at the Roundhouse in April 1978 but recordings have apparently been widely circulated recently as part of the 40 year anniversary of live Elvis performances posted by some nerdy OCD member is this forum :roll:

:wink: :wink:
sheeptotheslaughter

johnfoyle wrote:Michael Weston King posts today on Facebook-

It’s been a while since we (My Darling Clementine) were last in the studio and in all honesty I had a certain amount of trepidation about returning

So, our humble thanks to Steve Nieve, Colin Elliot, Shez Sheridan and Dean Beresford for making the time under the red light so enjoyable, and rewarding.

Also thanks to Ian Sephton, Muriel Teodori, and others un-named for now, for helping facilitate these sessions in Trouville, France and Sheffield, England

The fruits of our labours will be ready for picking “before the winter comes" #countrydarkness
Ian has also signed if that's the right word Ronan McManus.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.folkradio.co.uk/2019/08/fre ... ne-new-ep/

Fretsore Records signs UK duo My Darling Clementine + New EP

Fretsore Records have added critically-acclaimed country-soul duo My Darling Clementine to their roster. The news comes ahead of a new 4-track ‘Country Darkness’ EP of Elvis Costello interpretations due later this year after collaborating and reworking numerous songs with Steve Nieve of The Imposters/The Attractions.

My Darling Clementine is comprised of vocalist and pianist Lou Dalgleish and guitarist and singer Michael Weston King. For this project, they reunited with Richard Hawley alumni Colin Elliott, Stan “Shez” Sheridan and Dean Beresford, with whom they made their much-loved 2nd album ‘The Reconciliation’, to help Michael and Lou realise their ambitions. It was produced by Colin Elliot (Hawley, Jarvis, Duane Eddy).

Having toured extensively across Europe and North America for the most of a decade, Dalgleish and Weston King returned to the studio earlier this year to craft the follow-up to their 2017 release ‘Still Testifying’. The new release will include an exclusive vinyl pressing and will be accompanied by a European tour and selected UK dates this autumn.

Label head Ian Sephton shares his thoughts on the signing:

“When Michael told me about their plans to re-interpret for duet carefully selected songs from Elvis Costello’s songbook, I knew it would be something special. It will delight My Darling Clementine fans, intrigue and attract EC fans, and have a wide appeal due to the co-writing credits including Paul McCartney and Loretta Lynn. And of course, having the amazingly talented Steve Nieve involved in the project is icing on the cake. This EP is the first part of the larger Country Darkness project, so there’s more to come!”

Michael Weston King writes on the inspiration behind the record.

“Making these recordings took me back to my 19-year-old-self, out buying a copy of Almost Blue during my lunch hour. It was Elvis and Steve’s making of that album which set me, and I think many others of my generation, off along a country path to discover more about this form of music previously only viewed with suspicion. For me, it became something of a pilgrimage, a vocation, even a “career.” So this feels like the completing of a musical circle of sorts – to record a selection of some of mine and Lou’s favourite EC country songs with the added thrill of performing them with Steve”.

https://mydarlingclementinemusic.co.uk/
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.folkradio.co.uk/2019/09/my- ... ess-vol-1/

My Darling Clementine with Steve Nieve: Country Darkness Vol 1

Michael Weston King and Lou Dalgleish, the two-halves of My Darling Clementine, have a long-standing relationship with the music of Elvis Costello, he a fan since he bought Almost Blue as a 19-year-old and co-writer and performer of her hugely successful show, They Call Her Natasha, based around his life and music. Their duo live sets also regularly feature Costello songs, notably Good Year For The Roses. None of this escaped the attention of Nieve, keyboard player with The Attractions and The Imposters, the result of which is this four-song collaborative EP reworking of four lesser-known country numbers from the songbook.

Along with Nieve, the project also reunites Michael and Lou with Colin Elliot, Shez Sherdfian and Dean Beresford with whom they made their second album, The Reconciliation. As such, it naturally doesn’t sound too far removed from the established My Darling Clementine sound, opening with Lou on lead, accompanied by Nieve’s piano before Michael’s vocals take over on Heart Shaped Bruise from 2004’s The Delivery Man, Beresford’s drums carrying it to a crescendo and Lou picks up the baton for the final line.

Probably the best known of the set is Stranger In The House, originally written for and recorded as a duet with George Jones for his 1979 album My Very Special Guests, although it actually first appeared as a Costello version on a free 7” with 1978’s This Year’s Model. It’s a perfect fit for the duo’s trading lines and verses style, jangling and twangy guitars backing the vocals with Nieve on piano and organ and, while there have been numerous covers, including a fine version by Rachel Sweet, this is hands down the best.

Clocking in at nearly six minutes, written about his grandmother’s funeral, That Day Is Done was a Costello slow waltz gospel collaboration with Paul McCartney for the latter’s 1989 album Flowers In The Dirt and which Elvis only ever sang on as part of the Fairfield Four’s 1997 release Couldn’t Hear Nobody Pray. Nieve’s churchy piano accompanying the traded verses and harmonies it comes with a full-blooded horn arrangement by Elliot, Lou showing why she’s one of the finest female voices in the UK.

The final choice, break-up waltz-time number I Felt The Chill Before The Winter Came, is another co-write, this time with Loretta Lynn for 2009’s Secret, Profane & Sugarcane, here with Tom Wright on pedal steel.

It remains a mystery why My Darling Clementine haven’t stormed the America country radio and charts or indeed the UK’s, but they have amassed a solid loyal following for whom this (and the tantalising promise of Vol 2 or more) as well as news that they’re readying their follow-up to Still Testifying, is like all their Christmases have come at once.

Pre-Order Country Darkness Vol 1 here: https://mydarlingclementinemusic.co.uk/store/
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

sheeptotheslaughter

Am I the only one who thinks Lou sounds a bit like Olivia Newton-John?
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

sheeptotheslaughter wrote:Am I the only one who thinks Lou sounds a bit like Olivia Newton-John?
No you're not - I thought that Lou sounded like ONJ the first time I saw them live a few years ago. On record the similarity is even stronger.
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

The Country Darkness EP is available on Apple Music (and the other streaming services, I suppose).
I like all the songs. They did a great job.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.covermesongs.com/2019/10/rev ... -1-ep.html

Review: My Darling Clementine, “Country Darkness, Volume 1” EP
5 stars

Clementine is the name of UK husband and wife team of Michael Weston King and Lou Dalgleish, each with a track record ahead of starting to perform together some nine years ago. King was the leading light of mid-90’s Manchester Americana band, The Good Sons, who managed to take, with relative acclaim, their coals to Newcastle, recording and touring alongside and under the wing of Townes Van Zandt. A later solo career saw him working with Jackie Leven, and a feature of his occasional forays alone sees him play the songs of both Van Zandt and Leven, in a set of two halves. His wife has similarly had a career of her own, notably with her 2001 play “They Call Her Natasha,” self-performed and written and featuring her versions of the songs of Elvis Costello. The songs, some of which crop up on her other albums, also formed the basis of a tour.

Since 2010 they have put out four albums, in sometimes barbed tribute to the male/female, often husband/wife, duets of ’60s Nashville, and these have been extremely well received. The second, The Reconciliation, was described by Country Music People as “the best British Country record ever made.” Now they’re back with Country Darkness, Volume 1.

This project sees a return to the works of Elvis Costello, and accommodates some of his more overtly country tinged moments, including his early song “Stranger in the House,” as duetted with George Jones and covered by Rachel Sweet. Sadly, this is only a four-song EP, though “volume 1” suggesting sequels in the offing. A trump card here is the presence of Steve Nieve, longterm Costello sideman as both Attraction and Impostor, whose piano is exemplary, less frenetic than with his boss, more evocative of the great Glen D. Hardin (Elvis Presley’s TCB band and Emmylou Harris’ Hot Band.)

Dalgleish’s is the first voice to be heard, her tone proving a malleable instrument, capable of showing both strength and frailty, often together, woven from heartstrings being pulled. King has a golden baritone, perhaps the voice Costello wishes he himself might have. Singing a verse at a time, choruses see them meld together, a coalescence of familiarity that shows more than just practice. On other songs, Dalgleish can change her timbre, managing both to recall her heroines and to have a character of her own. At times one could be mistaken for hearing this as King performing with a selection of different singers. Similar, yes, but she can vary the emotion, tempering the measure of soul and sweetness as to the song.

The other songs include “Heart Shaped Bruise,” which Costello originally sang as a duet with Emmylou Harris, so no pressure there, but actually becoming the strongest interpretation here. “The Day is Done” was famously written with and for Paul McCartney, and “I Felt the Chill Before the Winter Came,” features some appropriately somber brass. That last was a co-write with, astonishingly, Loretta Lynn. Is this how she would have done it?

I hope this is an idea to which they return. Irrespective of the strength of their own material, this should certainly widen their audience and draw greater attention to the quality of their capabilities.