Elvis Costello & The Imposters: Purse EP (Record Store Day)

Pretty self-explanatory
sheeptotheslaughter

Re: Elvis Costello & The Imposters: Purse EP (Record Store Day)

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

I have checked my local store they are not selling it. Thanks Elvis forget the UK
JONPD

Post by JONPD »

Mine will be having it, I did mention it to them. So some copies will be sale in the UK :)
millaa

Post by millaa »

i thought the label did confirm it was UK as well?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Good luck to all who want...me included. :lol: :lol:
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

It might be released again later in the year if you miss out this time.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

I managed to get a copy via amazon with a voucher I had. Sadly I will have to wait for it it to be delivered
fred darden

Post by fred darden »

Reckless records in Chicago still has last year's single available. rsd is for hipsters, think Elvis has left that building. so if you go to their website tomorrow they'll probably have plenty of pulses left. Ciao
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

fred darden wrote:Reckless records in Chicago still has last year's single available. rsd is for hipsters, think Elvis has left that building. so if you go to their website tomorrow they'll probably have plenty of pulses left. Ciao
Hey Fred....which was last year's??? Senility is tough for me. :lol: :lol:
IbMePdErRoIoAmL

Post by IbMePdErRoIoAmL »

bronxapostle wrote:
fred darden wrote:Reckless records in Chicago still has last year's single available. rsd is for hipsters, think Elvis has left that building. so if you go to their website tomorrow they'll probably have plenty of pulses left. Ciao
Hey Fred....which was last year's??? Senility is tough for me. :lol: :lol:
The "Someone Else's Heart" cover was released for RSD 2018.
fred darden

Post by fred darden »

Hey ba , squeeze cover, b-side instrumental with the roots I believe.
Charles

Post by Charles »

Hipsters unite!
Attachments
C73D2548-BB1B-4AC5-B869-7BB1B4F21E67.jpeg
C73D2548-BB1B-4AC5-B869-7BB1B4F21E67.jpeg (23.45 KiB) Viewed 30923 times
B30ACE90-2C67-43E3-B955-9C94884B5320.jpeg
B30ACE90-2C67-43E3-B955-9C94884B5320.jpeg (37.66 KiB) Viewed 30923 times
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

fred darden wrote:Hey ba , squeeze cover, b-side instrumental with the roots I believe.
Yup - and i subsequently bought copies from Yep Roc.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

How fast an old man forgets. I thought that one was 2 years ago and last year 2018 was the one with Macca cassette thingie that WAS a tough find. Still never got it. So THAT one was 2 years back???
supplydavid

Post by supplydavid »

My local store ( Florida) had lots of copies left at noon when i stopped by, they were limiting to 1 per still but anyone missing out let me know and i can go back but my sense is there will be plenty available.

No download code this time v the Squeeze and McCartney tape.

The back cover seems to indicated another "purse" release with a green cover and red lips. The red lips is a section of the limited edition poster
‘L’image reflechie de la beaute et la bête’ (The reflected image of beauty and the beast) (2016) the new painting by Eamonn Sineer (aka Elvis Costello)

Purse : where the secret are kept
Purse : where the kisses begin
Purse : Where the treasure is held

Not sure how to load pics here so check my twitter @sproutsfan
krm

Post by krm »

Has someone listened to it yet?
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

These are going for close to £40 on ebay. Record Store Day just makes money for nefarious profiteers online - does nothing for the true music fan - and I suspect little for the record stores themselves. For goodness sake just release a single as a normal single!
PS Not heard it...
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
supplydavid

Post by supplydavid »

there are eBay listings from record stores at the sticker price $17.98 plus shipping for those needing a copy.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

One of the problems for UK fans is that the postage plus customs taxes invariable double the cost of importing any vinyl ( in particular) from the U.S.
Case in point has been the cost of the Look Now coloured vinyl editions -and I got ripped off by purchasing the "deluxe" coloured vinyl on the U.K. eBay only to find the deluxe colour was black !!
cwr

Post by cwr »

What a fantastic EP. Prime cuts from the LOOK NOW sessions, but they all make sense as an EP.

Part of me was thinking that hearing more from the LN sessions would tempt me to second guess the album's selections but in this digital streaming age of playlists, I like the way the LOOK NOW/Regarde Maintenant/Purse story is unfolding.

If the mystery songs from the 7" singles box turn out to be additional new tracks, then we will essentially have a DOUBLE ALBUM from these sessions, divided into one LP and 3 EPs, which is an embarrassment of Costello riches. "More Than You Deserve" was the tag line from back in the 1994 Brutal Youth tour, but it may be more appropriate now, perhaps.

"Everyone's Playing House" EC & Burt

Another triumph by Bacharach & Costello, and one that doesn't sound like any of the other songs they've written together! How many more songs do we have to look forward to by these two? This is certainly one of the most "fun"-sounding songs they've done together, although there is plenty of pain & darkness in the lyric.

"The Lovers That Never Were" EC & Macca

We've all wanted to hear this since Paul released his version, even knowing full well that it has to exist in the same universe with Paul's demo vocal. Costello is more aware of this than anyone but also knows that the braver move is to make his version, knowing it will have its own charms, which it does. I'm so glad to hear him sink his teeth into this one.

"If You Love Me" EC & The Man In Black, Johnny Cash

What's the story behind this one? Did Costello write this at the same time he did "I'll Still Love You" for the Johnny Cash: Forever Words album? What a great companion this song is. Costello has effectively taken Cash's words and made both a new song AND an "answer song."

"Down On The Bottom" EC & Bob

I am still holding out hope that we will hear the rest of the New Basement Tapes sessions someday, which of course contain ALL of those remaining lyrics with music by EC, like this one. I know it runs against the collaborative spirit of that project, but I really just want to someday have that full album's worth of Young Dylan/Elvis Costello songs to listen to. I actually really like the non-EC version of this song that opened up the Lost On The River LP, but this one is great, too! I never expected to hear an Imposters version of ANY of those songs, so this is a real bonus!

My guess is that if these were the "mystery songs" from the singles box set, they would have told us by now-- otherwise, that's going to feel like a real underwhelming "reveal" even though these are all great!
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

cwr wrote:"If You Love Me" EC & The Man In Black, Johnny Cash

What's the story behind this one? Did Costello write this at the same time he did "I'll Still Love You" for the Johnny Cash: Forever Words album?
I believe so.

EC interview: "There was one lyric that was thought to be one that might suit me, and in fact I did set, and I set it in a pretty serviceable melody, I think, that I would have been quite happy with as a first thought. And then I was glancing through the folio and that particular lyric was there on the page, and the next thing I could hear it in a very unusual way."

The second lyric is "I'll Still Love You," and presumably the first is "If You Love Me."

In the "Johnny Cash: Forever Words" book, "If You Love Me" is on pages 81-82 and "I'll Still Love You" is on pages 83-84.

I'm surprised you didn't mention the EC "vocal group" on three out of four Purse tracks. I thought of you when I read the credits!
cwr

Post by cwr »

SO many great self-harmonies! I especially like how he sounds singing with himself at the end of TLTNW.
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

Can anyone remember (with accuracy) what the time-lag was between Record Store Day 2018 and 'Someone Else's Heart' appearing on iTunes?

Edited to Add...iTunes has 4th June 2018 for 'Someone Else's Heart', and Record Store Day 2018 was 21st April. So, if all goes to plan, I guess we're looking at early June for a digital release.
And No Coffee Table

Hawksmoor wrote:So, if all goes to plan, I guess we're looking at early June for a digital release.
Could be, but remember that "Someone Else's Heart" was billed as a "RSD First" release, while Purse was a "RSD Exclusive."

On the other hand, there have been three separate teasers to "Watch This Space" for more Purse news.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

And No Coffee Table wrote: On the other hand, there have been three separate teasers to "Watch This Space" for more Purse news.

3? Where else besides back of jacket and twitter April 1st please.
And No Coffee Table

bronxapostle wrote:3? Where else besides back of jacket and twitter April 1st please.
Shore Fire Media's press release linked to EC's Facebook page and said to "watch this space for international release information."