I am
FAVEHOUR

Re: Elvis & The Imposters, Boston, MA, Wang Theatre , November 10 2018

Post by FAVEHOUR »

I am
Brodsky

Post by Brodsky »

Uh, oh! What does a "short term throat infection" mean for Boston on Saturday night?!?!?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Means it will happen...i think. Only tonight will not
Brodsky

Post by Brodsky »

Hope so. Is the real translation for "short term throat infection" really "poor ticket sales"?

Frankly, when I originally looked at the fall tour schedule, I found it curious that a number of shows were scheduled for 2 nights (or 3 nights) in a row. Given EC's health issues earlier this year, I would think he'd ease back into touring.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Brodsky wrote:Frankly, when I originally looked at the fall tour schedule, I found it curious that a number of shows were scheduled for 2 nights (or 3 nights) in a row. Given EC's health issues earlier this year, I would think he'd ease back into touring.
I agree - I made this point in another thread.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Brodsky

Post by Brodsky »

Just got back from the show. Here’s the set list to the best of my recollection:

This Year's Girl
Honey, Are You Straight or Are You Blind?
Clubland [with "I Do Like to be Beside the Seaside"]
Don't Look Now
Burnt Sugar Is So Bitter
Green Shirt
Photographs Can Lie [with "The Look of Love"]
Temptation
I’ll Wear It Proudly
Why Won't Heaven Help Me?
Under Lime [with “Jimmie Standing in the Rain”]
Watching the Detectives
Deep Dark Truthful Mirror
He's Given Me Things
Unwanted Number
Alison [with "You've Been Cheatin']
Everyday I Write the Book [with “Mr. Big Stuff”]

Encore
Accidents Will Happen
Stripping Paper
(I Don't Want to Go to) Chelsea
I Want You
Mr. & Mrs. Hush
Pump It Up
Suspect My Tears
American Gangster Time
(What's So Funny 'bout) Peace, Love and Understanding

I have a nagging thought that I might have missed a song (maybe after “I’ll Wear It Proudly”)?
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Thanks.

How was Elvis’ voice?

It’ll be interesting to hear how “I do like to be beside the seaside” was inserted into Clubland!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Thanks.

How was Elvis’ voice?

It’ll be interesting to hear how “I do like to be beside the seaside” was inserted into Clubland!
He just sang the first line BEFORE the song in Asbury. He had done similarly in 2002 A.P. show. Do not know WHY it came back in Boston. not a shore town, really....is it? It is my pet peeve at the wiki when it says "including" the snippet when it comes before the song. Same with LOOK OF LOVE and JIMMIE STANDING this week.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Brodsky wrote:Just got back from the show. Here’s the set list to the best of my recollection:

This Year's Girl
Honey, Are You Straight or Are You Blind?
Clubland [with "I Do Like to be Beside the Seaside"]
Don't Look Now
Burnt Sugar Is So Bitter
Green Shirt
Photographs Can Lie [with "The Look of Love"]
Temptation
I’ll Wear It Proudly
Why Won't Heaven Help Me?
Under Lime [with “Jimmie Standing in the Rain”]
Watching the Detectives
Deep Dark Truthful Mirror
He's Given Me Things
Unwanted Number
Alison [with "You've Been Cheatin']
Everyday I Write the Book [with “Mr. Big Stuff”]

Encore
Accidents Will Happen
Stripping Paper
(I Don't Want to Go to) Chelsea
I Want You
Mr. & Mrs. Hush
Pump It Up
Suspect My Tears
American Gangster Time
(What's So Funny 'bout) Peace, Love and Understanding

I have a nagging thought that I might have missed a song (maybe after “I’ll Wear It Proudly”)?
The songs done after Alison this time were bits of Living A Little, Laughing A Little, The Wind Cries Mary, Somewhere Over The Rainbow, and Somewhere. No You’ve Been Cheatin’ tonight.

Also he did a couple verses of the Beatles’ “Rain” during PLU. There were several asides and jokes about rain tonight, and how it will melt you or poison you. Since there was no rain in Boston, I believe these were digs at Trump refusing to brave the rain in France.

Dave
Last edited by FAVEHOUR on Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brodsky

Post by Brodsky »

bronxapostle wrote:
verbal gymnastics wrote:Thanks.

How was Elvis’ voice?

He just sang the first line BEFORE the song in Asbury. He had done similarly in 2002 A.P. show. Do not know WHY it came back in Boston. not a shore town, really....is it? It is my pet peeve at the wiki when it says "including" the snippet when it comes before the song. Same with LOOK OF LOVE and JIMMIE STANDING this week.

Sorry, I was cutting and pasting from a previous list to save a little time. He did not perform "Seaside" during "Clubland" (and the snippets during "Alison" were different as reported in this thread.)

However, "The Look of Love", "Jimmie" and "Mr. Big Stuff" were included in Boston.

Another interesting "aside" that happened during the show was when Elvis addressed the cancellation of the Connecticut show. He briefly mentioned his "infection" and "apoligized" about his raspy voice last night. I thought he was in good form, but my college age daughter, a singer herself, detected some challenges in pitch and tone. She is only familiar with a small selection of Elvis' biggest "hits", but asked me after the show if he performed lots of new songs. I told her yes and she said she was not surprised as she sensed Elvis wasn't as familiar with some of the songs. I asked how she could tell and she said, as a singer, she can sometimes tell when someone is more assured with some material compared to songs that are newer to them. Ha! I really didn't notice it, but thought it was an interesting observation. Oh well, I was certainly happy with what i heard.
Last edited by Brodsky on Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

FAVEHOUR wrote:The songs done after Alison this time were bits of Living A Little, Laughing A Little, Crosstown Traffic, Somewhere Over The Rainbow, and Somewhere.
Just to double check: "Crosstown Traffic" rather than "The Wind Cries Mary"?
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

And No Coffee Table wrote:
FAVEHOUR wrote:The songs done after Alison this time were bits of Living A Little, Laughing A Little, Crosstown Traffic, Somewhere Over The Rainbow, and Somewhere.
Yes you’re right AN. Thank you. Corrected for posterity
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

FAVEHOUR wrote:
And No Coffee Table wrote:
Yes you’re right AN. Thank you. Corrected for posterity
Further confused...anct is correct Dave, it was CROSSTOWN TRAFFIC not MARY last night??
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

No

it was The Wind Cries Mary....I fixed my earlier post. read AN’s post as saying, let me confirm that, Y and not Z? So i said sorry, you’re right it was Z
Confused enough? It’s been a long weekend and I am dragging
Dave
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/2018/1 ... gwFCkfmiu4

At the Wang, Elvis Costello’s aim remains true

It’s a conundrum classic rockers have faced for decades: how to balance the desire to play the new stuff you’re excited about with the need to give your fans the hits. If you’re Elvis Costello, who played the Boch Center Wang Theatre with his longtime backing band the Imposters Saturday night, you come to the same solution the likes of Paul McCartney and Bruce Springsteen have hit upon — just play for so long that no one could possibly leave unsatisfied.

Of the 26 songs Costello played during the 2 1/2-hour concert, 10 came from “Look Now,” his first album with the Imposters since 2008. At their best, songs like the snappy Carole King co-write “Burnt Sugar Is So Bitter” and the impassioned torch song “Suspect My Tears” combined the energy and hooks of his New Wave classics with the air of pre-rock sophistication he’s so deliberately cultivated in his later years. Costello would introduce these numbers with lengthy monologues, detailing in deliciously pulpy prose the sordid situations in which the showbiz types who populate the record found themselves.

Though Costello had canceled a show in Connecticut the night before due to a throat infection (a concerning development given his recent cancer scare), one wouldn’t have guessed that from his excellent vocal performance Saturday. He sometimes lagged behind on the older songs, but that felt less like Costello not being able to keep up and more like him trying to entertain himself while singing “Accidents Will Happen” for the umpteenth time. Occasionally, he would put down his guitar, take mic in hand, and go into crooner mode, even briefly sitting at the piano during a show-stopping “Deep Dark Truthful Mirror.”

Costello made the unusual choice to introduce the Imposters a mere three songs in, then again at the first set’s conclusion. Though he’s played with keyboardist Steve Nieve and drummer Pete Thomas since the late ’70s (with bassist Davey Faragher a relatively new addition), his enthusiasm for these musicians remains undiminished. Judging by their sharp playing — undeniably accomplished but never showy — this reflects good taste on Costello’s part. Also onstage were two backup singers who played their supporting roles with style before joining Costello up front for an intimate “Allison” and a version of “Everyday I Write the Book” infectious enough to bring the theater crowd to their feet.

Naturally, Costello saved the biggest kicks for the nine(!)-song encore. “(I Don’t Want to Go to) Chelsea” and “Pump It Up” were predictably dynamite, but it was the psychosexual drama of “I Want You” which truly astonished, Costello’s threats and pleas growing more unhinged as the Imposters trudged through the song’s blood-curdling chords. Too much the showman to leave on such a dire note, Costello instead closed with “(What’s So Funny ‘bout) Peace, Love and Understanding,” its desperate hope for a kinder world tugging at the heartstrings with the poignancy of a secular hymn. More than an excellent concert, the night was heartening proof that Costello is alive, well, and still capable of bringing down the house.

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

FAVEHOUR wrote:No

it was The Wind Cries Mary....I fixed my earlier post. read AN’s post as saying, let me confirm that, Y and not Z? So i said sorry, you’re right it was Z
Confused enough? It’s been a long weekend and I am dragging
Dave

Understood...trying to figure what song he COULD get to CROSSTOWN TRAFFIC from: PUMP IT UP? HURRY DOWN DOOMSDAY? HIGH FIDELITY?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.improper.com/arts-culture/li ... z67iruw6a8

Live Review: Elvis Costello proves mettle at the Wang
Health break doesn't stop songsmith from playing heart out in career-wide jag

It can be a bit worrying when you hear that a singer cancelled his previous show due to a throat infection when you’re headed to his concert the following night. In the case of Elvis Costello on Saturday, the news also triggered thoughts of his recent cancer scare, when he cancelled July dates to recover from surgery to remove a small malignancy.

But the 64-year-old British pop craftsman dashed such concerns about his health by rocking and serenading the Boch Center Wang Theatre for a hearty two and a half hours with his band the Imposters. Costello apologized to any fans who had tried to see him in Connecticut on Friday, blaming “rough edges” in his voice, but he sounded fine at the Wang, a tad weathered yet uncompromised.

Costello began the 26-song set with the vim and vigor of “This Year’s Girl” (from his late ’70s launch as a new-wave punk) and “Honey, Are You Straight or Are You Blind?” – lashing and lifting his electric guitar before dropping into “Clubland,” where he laced distorted jazz chords over Steve Nieve’s tinkling grand piano. Then Costello gave a shout-out to fans who saw him at the Paradise or the Orpheum back in the day. And if anyone doubted his familiarity with Boston music history, when people later shouted seeming requests, Costello followed a quip that “We don’t know any songs by the Cars” with “We know a couple by the Real Kids.”

But the middle of the show was instead devoted largely to songs from the stylish, month-old Look Now, Costello’s first album in a decade with the Imposters, which sport bassist Davey Faragher and old Attractions mates Nieve and drummer Pete Thomas. “Don’t Look Now” served an initial showcase for Elvis the crooner in a duet with Nieve, whose piano centered a two-level keyboard spread. “Photographs Can Lie,” a song about a woman’s reflection on her cheating father, teased with lyrics from “The Look of Love” in a nod to its musical collaborator Burt Bacharach. And when Costello threw in older songs, he kept close to a subdued tone — and dug deep with “I’ll Wear it Proudly” from 1986’s Americana precursor King of America.

Costello swung harder to nostalgia with early favorite “Watching the Detectives,” which cast him in eerie green light before he broke into spectral howls on guitar opposite Thomas’ cracking snaps and slippery drum fills and Nieve’s diminished icing on organ. But the New Orleans-tinged “Deep Dark Truthful Mirror” followed, the singer prowling the stage and hitting high notes with a preacher-like passion. He didn’t rely on the tour’s two female backup singers but brought them forward for a playful “Alison” and extended “Everyday I Write the Book” to close the set.

Fans hoping Costello would pump it up with older classics got their wish in a nine-song encore, even if this Look Now and Then Tour continued to toggle between his now and then. He began the encore with 1979 hit “Accidents Will Happen,” if woven as another vocal/piano duet, only to tap his new album for the wistfully devastating “Stripping Paper,” about woman uncovering the history of a failed relationship through wallpaper removal. The new “Suspect My Tears” injected a soul-music feel, and oldies “(I Don’t Want to Go To) Chelsea,” “Pump it Up” and finale “(What’s So Funny ’Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding” finished covering the upbeat bases.

Yet the highpoint of the encore – and night – was arguably “I Want You,” a dark tale of romantic deception and desire from his 1986 Attractions album Blood & Chocolate that began surprisingly even-toned before building to its brooding peak. “Go on and hurt me,” Costello intoned, tensely chopping at his guitar. “I want to know how he pleases you.”

Pathos serves Costello well, both in his Brill Building-styled newer songcraft and the heart of his post-punk oeuvre – and any edges in his throat only accented it.

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.telegram.com/entertainmentl ... on-concert

Elvis Costello very much alive at Boston concert

BOSTON — I am so happy to report that rumors that Elvis Costello is dying have been greatly exaggerated.

Despite scrapping the remainder of his European summer tour after undergoing surgery for a “small but very aggressive cancerous malignancy” and a last-minute cancelling in Connecticut due to a “short-term throat infection” the night before playing Boston, Costello proved that his latest health scare was nothing for fans to worry about and he is far from being “a man out of time.”

In fact, the 64-year-old Costello was the life of the party and, at times, the belle of the ball Saturday night at the Boch Center Wang Theatre.

Combining the best of his old catalog with 10 tracks from his stellar new album “Look Now” (which a majority of the songs are sung from a female character’s point of view), Costello’s Boston stop on his “Look Now and Then Tour” was made up of an uncompromising, two-hour-and-a-half, 26 song-set, which culminating with a jaw-dropping nine-song encore.

While I confess that it took me several listens before I warmed up to “Look Now,” after Saturday night, I am totally convinced that it’s another Costello masterwork that sounds better live.

Opening with “This Year’s Girl” (from 1978′s “This Year’s Model”) and ending with ”(What’s So Funny ’bout) Peace, Love and Understanding” (from 1979’s “Armed Forces”), Costello delivered 40 years of gems that still sound as smart and catchy as they did when he first burst onto the music scene.

Early in the set, Costello burned off several tracks from his latest, including “Don’t Look Now” and “Photographs Can Lie,” which he co-wrote with Burt Bacharach. On the latter, Costello masterfully wove Bacharach’s “The Look of Love” (made famous by Dusty Springfield) into his nocturnal musings of a young woman coming to terms with the dirty dealings of her two-timing dad.

In addition to showing off his sly sophistication and sardonic wit to great effect, Costello showed his strong kinship to Boston and punk rock, by giving a shout-out to any Elvis devotees in the audience who saw him at the Paradise and/or the Orpheum when he was still New Wave’s premiere angry young man and the aging crowd was much younger.

During an amusing spontaneous exchange tailored-made for the Boston crowd, Costello said his band doesn’t know any songs by the Cars but they know a couple of songs from Boston punk legends The Real Kids.

As for his backing band, The Imposters (featuring drummer Peter Thomas, keyboardist Steve Nieve and bassist Davey Faragher), are the real deal. Whether Costello was wailing on a guitar or crooning behind a vintage mike, The Imposters consistently kept things moving while wonderfully fleshing out all Elvis’ eccentric musical ventures.

And, while Costello sang in fine voice throughout, the added enhancement of backing vocalists Kitten Kuroi and Brianna Lee brought sass, brass and soul to the proceedings, especially during “Alison” and “Every Day I Write the Book.”

When he wasn’t hawking the new album or treating the audience to a deep album cut like “Honey, Are You Straight or Are You Blind?” “I Wear It Proudly” or “American Gangster Time,” Costello was pumping out classic gems (including “Green Shirt,” “Temptation,” “Watching the Detectives,” “Accident Will Happen,” ”(I Don’t Want to Go to) Chelsea” and, of course, the prerequisite “Pump It Up.”)

Costello, one of the few artists who is as compelling setting up a narrative to a song as he is singing a song, was in rare form.

Whether it’s a lousy decision we have made, a lover that we have lost who haunts us or a would-be lover who we wish would find us, Costello masterfully examined those things that have a stranglehold on one’s heart, one’s soul and even one’s existence with an unguarded intimacy and unnerving candor in numbers that included “Deep Dark Truthful Mirror,” “He’s Given Me Things” and, arguably the evening’s standout, “I Want You”.

“I Want You,” from 1986′s “Blood & Chocolate,” was truly epic. In the guise of a lover scorned, Costello was mesmerizing and menacing as his confessions of desire and inability to let go turned dark and twisted.