Elvis dismisses SKA

Pretty self-explanatory
Sammy Sody

Elvis dismisses SKA

Post by Sammy Sody »

Hello,

I'm a music writer. I'm currently working on a book about SKA. I'm sure most of you are aware of this song that Graduate (soon to be members of Tears for Fears) wrote about Elvis Costello:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oUqRXz9KkA

I recently got a chance to interview Graduate guitarist John Baker for my book. The story, as you've likely heard is that Elvis Costello made some disparaging remarks about ska in a 1979 publication. This comment inspired Roland Orzabal to write this light-hearted Elvis Costello jab of a song. John couldn't remember the name of the publication Elvis made this comment in. I would love to find the actual, original quote and see what exactly Costello said. John told me that most likely Elvis made the comment in the summer of 1979, possibly fall, because that's when they wrote the song. He said that they were most fond of reading Record Mirror and Smash Hits, but it could have been any of the popular British publications covering this music at the time.

My question is, does anyone happen to know what magazine/issue Elvis Costello made his disparaging ska comment? It was something along the lines of saying that the 2Tone bands (Specials, Madness) were "revival" bands and would be one-hit-wonders and then disappear. Any help would be greatly encouraged.

Thanks!
-Aaron
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis dismisses SKA

Post by johnfoyle »

Given that Elvis went on to produce The Specials I find it hard to believe that Elvis 'dismissed SKA'. However , he has said that at the start of his career he regularly made comments of a contrary nature to be provocative or due to being wasted most of the time.

This link includes links to a huge range of articles from 1979 featuring Elvis - have a look and see if you that helps maybe narrow it down to a comment that may help you. Elvis didn't give many interviews in 1979 , by the way.

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... raphy_1979
krm

Post by krm »

or from a radio interview....
Sammy Sody

Post by Sammy Sody »

Thanks John,

My hunch is that whatever Elvis said that was disparaging of ska, was most likely him being contrary. Obviously he produced the Specials first albums, and he has listed several 2Tone records among his top 500 "must have" records. I also suspect he was commenting less on whether ska was good or bad music, but more on it being a sudden top 40 pop trend in England and saying that it was nothing more than a trend, which in hindsight was partially true. 2Tone ska did come and go really fast in England, but it did inspire a ska revival elsewhere that hasn't left. He did say something though, at least enough to provoke Roland Orzabal to write "Elvis Should Play Ska." This is why I want to find the original quote so I can try to understand where he was coming from.

Thanks for the list, I'll go through it and what I can deduce.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

And Human Touch is pretty heartfelt homage to the genre...
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:And Human Touch is pretty heartfelt homage to the genre...
Maybe his disdain for the genre is why he NEVER plays this song!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

:lol:

And I wonder if Elvis’ disdain for reggae will come to the fore because of his comment that “Sting should stop singing in that ridiculous Jamaican accent”.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

That's a classic funny one VG. When did he say it? I love insulting Stink myself, BUT I WOULDN'T DO A TOUR WITH HIM!! :lol: nah, it's funny...the love-hate relationship they seem to have. :evil: