New Elvis/Burt Bacharach songs!!

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Re: New Elvis/Burt Bacharach songs!!

Post by sweetest punch »

http://theseconddisc.com/2016/08/22/tas ... ptember-9/

A Taste of Honey: 25 Herb Alpert Albums Come to CD on September 9e

Herb Alpert is about to release his latest studio album, Human Nature, on September 30, and it looks to be an exciting set even by the high standards of the eternally youthful trumpeter. His fourth album in three years, Human Nature features five original songs plus reworkings of Steve Porcaro and John Bettis’ “Human Nature” (the 1983 Michael Jackson hit), Burt Bacharach and Hal David’s “Alfie” and “Don’t Go Breaking My Heart,” and a world premiere composition from Bacharach and Elvis Costello, “Look Up Again.” But before that, Alpert is taking his deepest-ever dive into his back catalogue with a reissue program featuring 25 titles, many of which are long out-of-print or have never previously been released on compact disc! All albums are due from the Herb Alpert Presents label on September 9.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Registered in 2014 , according to this -

http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... P#p7712862

And No Coffee Table » Mon Feb 03, 2014

ASCAP lists 10 newly registered songs written by EC and Burt Bacharach:

DON'T LOOK NOW (Work ID: 886324240)
EVERYONE'S PLAYING HOUSE (Work ID: 886324275)
HE'S GIVEN ME THINGS (Work ID: 886324374)
I LOOKED AWAY (Work ID: 886324406)
I'VE ALWAYS HAD MEN (Work ID: 886324414)
LOOK UP AGAIN (Work ID: 886324539)
PHOTOGRAPHS CAN LIE (Work ID: 886324695)
SHAMELESS (Work ID: 886324806)
TAKEN FROM LIFE (Work ID: 886324880)
YOU CAN HAVE HER (Work ID: 886325003)
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Great, now get them out on an album before Burt kicks the bucket (he's quite getting on agewise...) or something else -- eg. the curse of Elvis - messes with its long due release.

Can't believe it's almost 20yrs since Painted From Memory.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Elvis wishes Burt a happy 90th birthday:
Happy Birthday Burt!!!
This picture is the way we feel about it too.
We love you. E.C. and Diana (and your studio pals, Pete, Davey and Steve)

I am quite possibly reading too much into this, but the reference to the Imposters makes me wonder if Burt participated in (or at least visited) EC's recent recording sessions. Burt worked with Steve on Painted From Memory and the accompanying tour, but I'm not aware of Burt ever working with Pete or Davey.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

This makes me dream of Painted From Memory, volume 2!
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
erey

Post by erey »

I'm too lazy to go hunt for it now, but I do remember Elvis saying, in an interview that came out shortly before news of the new album broke, that he was itching to record some of the new songs he'd written with Burt.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Bring it on! With THE IMPOSTERS!!!
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Hey Neil, don't you think the Imposters might be a bit too "rocky" for PFM V2 - I'd rather have Burt's orchestrations and Steve's piano in this instance and the new Imposters album being like Momofuku ! And yes, you're right about Lovable - I hadn't absorbed those lyrics like I probably should have but it's one of the less memorable tunes on KOA :wink: That's my excuse, I'm sticking with it !
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

The Imposters did play on ‘You Shouldn’t Look At Me That Way’ (a ballad with big orchestrations): http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... 0#p7733060
But I agree, they didn’t leave their typical footprint on that recording. :)

One last speculation: Elvis said in the concerts in Port Chester that he hoped to have a new album, but that plans got changed. Could it be that in stead of a new Imposters album, he recorded a new album with Burt?
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

sulky lad wrote:Hey Neil, don't you think the Imposters might be a bit too "rocky" for PFM V2 - I'd rather have Burt's orchestrations and Steve's piano in this instance and the new Imposters album being like Momofuku !
True - but maybe with things being as they are in the record industry (i.e. no dosh) they decided to just do the songs as a 4-piece band. We know the boys are great at playing ballads.

Hope we get some clarity soon!
cwr

Post by cwr »

I personally would love to hear The Imposters be the main band on any new EC/BB album. I'd also love it if EC had a heavier hand in some of the orchestrations.

One of my favorite Imposters tracks is the NORTH bonus track, "Impatience" which shows off a side of The Imposters that he hasn't leaned into very often, except for occasional tracks like "Harry Worth" and YSLAMTW.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

And No Coffee Table wrote:Elvis wishes Burt a happy 90th birthday:
Happy Birthday Burt!!!
This picture is the way we feel about it too.
We love you. E.C. and Diana (and your studio pals, Pete, Davey and Steve)

I am quite possibly reading too much into this, but the reference to the Imposters makes me wonder if Burt participated in (or at least visited) EC's recent recording sessions. Burt worked with Steve on Painted From Memory and the accompanying tour, but I'm not aware of Burt ever working with Pete or Davey.
Apparently, Burt came to visit the recording sessions for the new album, so no Painted From Memory Volume 2 yet: http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... 2#p7735352
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

After the Edinburgh gig, Elvis said that Burt came to the recording studios for the new album and brought his case with him and worked with the Imposters and Elvis on two songs,being totally professional and calling Elvis out for not singing the line properly. Elvis re-enforced the idea that this album was a recording of The Imposters at the peak of their powers and that Burt was as intense as ever in the recording process. So maybe not a full album of Costello/Bacharach songs but a start at least !
jardine

Post by jardine »

great news. just listening this afternoon to PFM and it is currently top of the list for me. loving singing along in the car with the windows rolled up. my singing range is such that i can hit all the notes without falsetto, but none, i repeat, NONE of the notes are anything but me bellowing far too loud and with little expression or nuance.

so glad a new collection of songs is coming...
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

jardine wrote
"loving singing along in the car with the windows rolled up. my singing range is such that i can hit all the notes without falsetto, but none, i repeat, NONE of the notes are anything but me bellowing far too loud and with little expression or nuance."
But that's the joy of so many Elvis albums - in your head you're the next backing singer he's always been looking for and the joy of just singing your heart out lifts the spirit ! Good on you I can imagine you getting some glances from other road users but you continue undaunted .
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Interview with Burt Bacharach includes:

After he and David parted ways, Bacharach teamed with songwriter Carole Bayer Sager (whom he married, then divorced), as well as Neil Diamond, R&B veteran Ronald Isley, Paul Anka, Ray Parker Jr. and even England’s erstwhile angry young man Elvis Costello (Bacharach calls their song “Painted From Memory” “one of the best things I ever did”).

...and...

In addition to writing and performing, one other scenario that interests Bacharach is a theatrical production built on his songs, something the alignment with Primary Wave may help realize.

“That’s a distinct possibility,” he replied. “But it would have to have a real story behind it. If it gets away from the jukebox musical formula of songs just strung together, that could be interesting. I’ve been through that kind of thing maybe twice, of somebody trying it in New York.

“I remember sitting in a theater years ago for one that was just a series of songs without much plot,” he said. “On one side of me was Elvis Costello, and on the other was [actor-comedian] Mike Myers. They’re my friends, and they were suffering like I was suffering, elbowing my ribs.

“But a show with a good story line could be created around it,” he said of his extensive song catalog. “I’m excited about it.”
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.elviscostello.com/#!/news/299150

THIS IS ONE OF THE FIRST BURT BACHARACH SONGS THAT REALLY HIT HOME WITH ME AS A KID AND IT WAS ONE THE ATTRACTIONS AND I SLIPPED INTO THE FURIOUS AND NOT OVERLY FANCY SETS OF 1977.

(...)
Since writing "God Give Me Strength" together in 1995, Burt and I have written a song for every one of the years since, including the album "Painted From Memory" to which we added another ten songs for a stage musical adaptation of that album, several of which featured on the 2018 album release, "Look Now" and the remainder of which we hope to bring to you before too very long. It is typical of Burt's approach to music and life that we should be discussing our next possible recording session, just as the world was being locked inside.
(...)
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.billboard.com/articles/colu ... -interview

Punch the 'Clockface': Elvis Costello On Making Albums In a Streaming World

The legend's new album sounds both current and timeless — and he’s looking back at his catalog, too.

(...)

Are you going to do that with all of your albums?

If we can. Right now, it’s in everybody’s interest to let me do it the way I’m seeing it.

I can’t be certain when I’ll set foot on the stage again; or, frankly, whether the audience that largely comes to see me — who are inevitably more of my generation — will ever want to come to a theater again. So in the interim, I want to take the music I recorded some time ago and present it in a way that’s as exciting as it was when we first released it.

We’ve done a new version of one of the albums from my catalog, and that’s going to come out next April. And we’re making a compilation based on [Costello’s 1998 album with Burt Bacharach] Painted from Memory, in the hope that we’ll complete the picture with some other songs we’ve written that people still haven’t heard.

(...)
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

It feels like time to add to this thread again. In his call with Anderson Cooper on CNN yesterday, after rain stopped play on "The Homecoming Concert" in NYC, Elvis said he "was about to go into the studio with Burt to cut a couple of sides".

You can watch the "interview" here:

As is common with live interviews with Elvis, the other party didn't need to do much prompting to get him talking. But this is the man who wrote: "Don't start me talking, I could talk all night." Nice that he still talks about "sides" which suggests a vinyl release.

So maybe this is when more of those song titles registered way back in 2014, that didn't make it onto ''Look Now" will be recorded and released?

MOOT

Footnote: Burt Bacharach is 93 years old and still working. He got a "lifetime achievement award" at the 2008 Grammy Awards, but doesn't seem to have taken the hint.