Big Issue interview , May 2018

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Re: Big Issue interview , May 2018

Post by johnfoyle »

Andy Gotts has tweeted another shot from this session - his photographs date from 2013 -

https://twitter.com/DrGotts/status/991777287526932481

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

A more regularly used shot -

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

And this one -

Neil.

Post by Neil. »

The bit about expressing joy is really interesting.

He has tons of joyous pop melodies (I'm glad he identifies himself as pop, because for me pop means melody - and boy, can he come up with a melody. He's underrated as a melodist - people rightly go on about his lyrics, but it's that skill allied to his genius with a tune that makes him special. His last release, 'You Shouldn't Look at Me That Way' shows his melodic gift is still firmly in place.)

So though it's true his melodies are often joyous (mixed with melancholy - the best combination!) - his lyrics often undercut that. That's part of his appeal, but has he ever done a total and utter, downright 'joy' song? 'Loveable' should be a joyous love song, but the lyrics undercut it. Suit of Lights has a joyous chorus - but with a melancholy tinge to it and its lyric.

But an unapologetic, 'glory of love' song... Hmm... 'I'll Wear It Proudly' might be his best.

(Hang on - I've got a feeling we've had this discussion before.)

But, for example, Paul Weller's 'You're The Best Thing That Ever Happened' is a straightforward joyous love song. Is there such a song in Elvis's catalogue?

Maybe Elvis is right!

(15 Petals is some sort of declaration of love - but I wouldn't use the word joyous!)
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

I think this is a lovely interview, and makes me like Elvis (as a person) more than I have for a long time. I've always believed (and still do) that he is the single greatest performer/singer-songwriter of our generation, but everything I had seen, heard or read, for decades now really, had made me think that I really didn't like him at all, as a person. To the point where, despite my admiration of his skill (bordering on worship), had somebody offered me the chance to spend an evening having a drink with him, I'd have passed on that.

That's not unique to Elvis, of course. I have a theory that many of our greatest artists are actually quite challenging (and possibly even rather unpleasant) as people. But this interview is sweet, honest (about some of the wrong turns he thinks he might have made) and ultimately, rather touching. As a performer/songwriter, he will always be my hero. But as a person, this interview has given me a much more sympathetic and admiring take on him than I'd ever had before.

So that's good. :D
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

Neil. wrote:But, for example, Paul Weller's 'You're The Best Thing That Ever Happened' is a straightforward joyous love song. Is there such a song in Elvis's catalogue?
There must be, surely?

'Lovable'? 'Sweet Pear'? 'My Three Sons'? Even 'Slow Drag' has references to some amusing/problematic aspects of a relationship, but is sincere in its expression of love for Josephine?
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Hawksmoor wrote
I think this is a lovely interview, and makes me like Elvis (as a person) more than I have for a long time. I've always believed (and still do) that he is the single greatest performer/singer-songwriter of our generation, but everything I had seen, heard or read, for decades now really, had made me think that I really didn't like him at all, as a person. To the point where, despite my admiration of his skill (bordering on worship), had somebody offered me the chance to spend an evening having a drink with him, I'd have passed on that.

That's not unique to Elvis, of course. I have a theory that many of our greatest artists are actually quite challenging (and possibly even rather unpleasant) as people. But this interview is sweet, honest (about some of the wrong turns he thinks he might have made) and ultimately, rather touching. As a performer/songwriter, he will always be my hero. But as a person, this interview has given me a much more sympathetic and admiring take on him than I'd ever had before.
Exactly what I've felt for far too long !
Great, Hawksmoor !
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

The last few songs on North are 'Joy' songs where he meets and falls in love with Diana I would say. Especially Let me tell you about her. Frank Skinner when he interviewed him at the time said he didn't like him happy.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

True, re 'Let Me Tell You...' and those other North songs.

I think 'Loveable' has a fab joyous feel, but the lyrics are actually criticising the lover.

Yep, Sweet Pear is amazing and should be a standard. There's a bleakness to it, too, though, with the apocalyptic ending.

My Three Sons - of course!
Miclewis

Post by Miclewis »

I always felt that "Put Your Big Toe In the Milk Of Human Kindness" was one of Elvis' rare "joyful" songs.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I think I might be Elvis:

Brought up by a single mum - tick
Can't dance - tick
Left-handed - tick
Supported Liverpool as a kid - tick

The jury's still out on the following:

My confidence as a teenager
My naturally argumentative contrary nature
Being kind of awkward
I should be better at expressing joy.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I notice no mention of vocal ability comes into the reckoning VG ! :wink:
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Verbal, the only thing stopping me from thinking you ARE Elvis is the fact that more than once I've seen you in the same room as him!

Re joy - 'From Head To Toe' is pretty joyous in its execution, though the original joy is Smokey Robinson's.

And of course, you can always feel the joy Elvis feels when he makes a song - melodies, harmonies, lyrics, arrangements. I guess when he expresses misgivings about the joy he's able to express, he's referring to the persona he's become as a musician.

A Voice In the Dark - that's really joyful!

But a big, open-hearted, positive-vibe rhapsodic love song about a romantic love... I think 'I'll Wear It Proudly' might be the one, though the quirky (in a good way) lyric might have stopped it becoming mainstream.
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

Slightly surprised by the various suggestions of 'I'll Wear It Proudly'. I mean, I love it, and it can reduce me to tears, but if we're regarding those lyrics as 'an expression of pure joy', we're all in big trouble. :D
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Doesn't "Lovable" qualify even if it is, as best, one of his slightest songs ?
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Hawksmoor, you're right - the lyrics are very weird and dark, but the sound of the chorus sounds like an out-and-out love song.

Sulky - but surely Loveable's lyrics disqualify it? Isn't he saying that his ex-lover is having flings all round town? And he slags off her present lover, I think. But the sound is joyous, defo! And the last verse sounds like he's in love - but is it the same person as the one who's going round town being loveable?
Mr. Getgood

Post by Mr. Getgood »

Following the model of having a joyful melody but lyrics which are not is There's A Story In Your Voice. A very upbeat tune in my opinion.
I love you just as much as I hate your guts.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Big Issue, Japan. Apparently it is an extract from this Telegraph feature from September

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/inter ... ssion=true

All images via https://twitter.com/tamatsu/status/1062 ... 39168?s=19

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Re- reading the UK feature from May is thought provoking. It was one of only a few interviews Elvis gave at the time. We now know it was because he was recovering from surgery. The wistful nature of some of the comments may have been prompted by his sense of relief at having coming through such a , literally, life changing event.

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... ay_7,_2018