Banal fanboy list no 475: Elvis songs that sound a bit like other Elvis songs

Post by Neil. »

Top of my head...

Green Shirt + Little Atoms
My Little Blue Window + Crimes of Paris
Motel Matches + Little Triggers
National Ransom + You Belong To Me
sulky lad

Re: Banal fanboy list no 475: Elvis songs that sound a bit like other Elvis songs

Post by sulky lad »

Only the way you sing them, Neil :roll:
So what are the other 474 lists then ? I’m not admitting to any OCD behaviour, just look on certain torrent sites !
verbal gymnastics

Re: Banal fanboy list no 475: Elvis songs that sound a bit like other Elvis songs

Post by verbal gymnastics »

sulky lad wrote:Only the way you sing them, Neil :roll:
:lol:

The London meet ups are always worth it to see how long it takes before Neil. breaks into song!

The mini-VGs would say all of his songs sound the same and are boring. Except Rockinghorse Road - they like that one.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

And there's me deluding myself that it's like being in the presence of the great man himself!!!
verbal gymnastics

:lol:

You aren’t/weren’t fooling anyone else. But it’s one of the many reasons I love you!
Mr. Getgood

Post by Mr. Getgood »

Although they don't necessarily sound that similar, I always thought Alibi reiterated the dark mood of I Want You. The both utilise repetitive chord structures as well.
I love you just as much as I hate your guts.
rightbrain

Post by rightbrain »

"Secondary Modern" and "Watch Your Step" are nearly identical chord-for-chord.

I always thought "Harry Worth" from Momofuku sounded a lot like "The Long Honeymoon."
verbal gymnastics

rightbrain wrote:"Secondary Modern" and "Watch Your Step" are nearly identical chord-for-chord.[/i]."
Elvis played Secondary Modern segueing into Watch Your Step and vice versa on the Return of the Spinning Songbook tour if my memory serves me correctly.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Same album shenanigans: The Big Light + Gliiter Gulch (love 'em both!)
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

The intro to Waiting For The End of The World and the intro to Big Tears have a very similar structure. In a good way, of course.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Doc wrote
The intro to Waiting For The End of The World and the intro to Big Tears have a very similar structure. In a good way, of course.
Before the Roundhouse gig in 2016 a few of us forum members were predicting what the first song would be - I boldly stated it would be WFTEOW and when the band started I cheered madly only to be deflated as they veered into Big Tears ( as you can hear on my recording !) :roll:
verbal gymnastics

:lol: I remember that so well - we were really pleased and then really surprised. Our laughs were in disbelief that we were wrong!
Miclewis

Post by Miclewis »

"That's Not The Part of Him You're Leaving" always reminds me of "The Poisoned Rose".
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Just to chip in that 'That's Not The Part Of Him You're Leaving' is better than 'Poisoned Rose' (and 'Poisoned Rose' is already pretty damn good to start with).
Miclewis

Post by Miclewis »

Though the recording of Poisoned Rose on KoA is such a classic. Ray Brown & Earl Palmer!! Plus such a terrific vocal.

The recording of TNTPOHYL sounds a little muted/muffled to me. T-Bone and his engineers got a lot of praise for NR, but I found some of the songs sounding too "compressed". Great song though!
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Totally marvellous recording, defo. I just prefer the melody of TNTP...

In other news - TNTP is a bit like Motel Matches - which I've already mentioned is a relative of Little Triggers... which are all cousins of Country Darkness.
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

Big Tears and Tiny Steps are the two most obvious from his early repertoire - plus the above, of course.
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

New album update: Photographs Can Lie echoes This House Is Empty Now - both melodically and lyrically.
"Recall my father" v "Filled with laughter".
Both Bacharach and Costello songs, of course - and both great songs.
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Agreed - and Mr & Mrs Hush is a mix of Skin & Bone and My Mood Swings.
Miclewis

Post by Miclewis »

For reasons I can't quite qualify; "I Let The Sun Go Down" reminds me of "This is Hell", and "Stripping Paper" reminds me of "Nothing Clings Like Ivy". Maybe I'm crazy!
InvisibleMan

Post by InvisibleMan »

Coincidentally I was thinking about this subject just a few hours ago:

The Sharpest Thorn always reminds me of Any King's Shilling.

A song like International Echo more than something else by Elvis reminds me something by Bob Dylan, like Neighborhood Bully.

Also, I've always perceived a connection between Tiny Steps and Big Tears.
io strombazzo!

Ombre nel sole
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

'Why wont heaven help me' reminds me a bit of 'do you know the way to San Jose?'
InvisibleMan

Post by InvisibleMan »

Miclewis wrote:"Stripping Paper" reminds me of "Nothing Clings Like Ivy". Maybe I'm crazy!
I'm hearing that too.

And another one that was tormenting me, from the last album, now I've understood what is echoing to my ears: the hook of Mr and Mrs Hush ---> the hook of Deep Dark Truthful Mirror.
io strombazzo!

Ombre nel sole