'Bright Blue Times' - vinyl single - 500 on sale at latest shows, June 2017

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

'Bright Blue Times' - vinyl single - 500 on sale at latest shows, June 2017

Post by johnfoyle »

George on Facebook at the Woodenville show -

They said this was a limited pressing for the tour, only 500 copies...

Maybe it's this -

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... Blue_Times

...a song for a film , that was only ever played the once on a radio show in 1998 -

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... c_Ballroom

Here's a sound file from that show
http://www.mediafire.com/file/qhbrssrza ... Times+.mp3
bronxapostle

Re: 'Bright Blue Times' - vinyl single - 500 on sale at latest shows, June 2017

Post by bronxapostle »

WOWIE!!! i can't see 500 lasting too long. JULY in COOPERSTOWN would seem very doubtful. but, will they last till CENTRAL PARK? at least i have a friend or ten going there if i don't make it that night.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The file I have posted above is from my cassette of the radio broadcast in 1998. Back then I recorded the show in full and then , using my double deck tape player , cut out the tracks, ads, newsbreaks and kept just the exchanges between John and Elvis , and , of course , exclusive content like that track. Factor in static from a off-air broadcast and it's a, at best , substandard recording. The song is from a film , produced by Elvis's mate Alan Bleasdale, that had one airing on Channel 4 television.
supplydavid

Post by supplydavid »

i hope there are more than 500, New York my first show.

Anyone at the weekend shows in California able to buy me a copy , obviously happy to cover costs

David
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

Same recording on both sides?
ramalama

Post by ramalama »

At the Berkeley show tonight, the woman at the table sold what she said was the last copy to my brother, but it wasn't clear whether she meant it was the last copy available for tonight's show or the last copy available.
buzz

Post by buzz »

This is 1983 all over again but then it was Pills & Soap. The general election in the UK was underway. There were stories of limited numbers being available in red vinyl should Labour win the election. Look out how that turned out! Maybe he's predicting the result ahead of time. 500 copies!! This will not be enough.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Yes, I don't want to cry the blues here. How about this? If I ever did you a real nice favor, lmk if you grab an extra one. Thanks.. Peace, ba
lupin the third

Post by lupin the third »

The vinyl was on sale at the show tonight. Only 10 copies before show and 10 released during show. $20

Insane!
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

lupin the third wrote:Only 10 copies before show and 10 released during show.
I heard the same thing about 10 copies being released mid-show, which struck me as really weird. (Does EC want people to go to the merchandise stand while he's playing?)

Luckily, I managed to get one before the show.
DodgyTC

Post by DodgyTC »

Yes, to be specific, the 2nd 20 copies went on sale 90 mins into the Greek LA show.
The helpful Greek staff told when to come back (missing 20 mins of the show), but after 58 shows I can deal with that.

TC
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

Wow. Did not see a hint of these at any point
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Chris on Facebook-

I got one. And only one. Had to leave at the first encore break and miss several songs while standing out at the concession stand waiting for the five additional copies to be delivered. That's a good way to reward the fans who are fanatical enough to get this record--make them miss "Shot With His Own Gun" and "Talking in the Dark"!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

lupin the third wrote:The vinyl was on sale at the show tonight. Only 10 copies before show and 10 released during show. $20

Insane!
as anyone who knows me will tell you: I LOVE NUMEROLOGY!!! :lol: :lol:
so, sure enough...23 shows counting the both legs of this tour in JUNE and JULY. if twenty are allotted nightly, that totals 460!
a stray 40 extra would come in handy for his acquaintances or others who missed it. or surprise sale later on somewhere. interesting!!
And No Coffee Table

johnfoyle wrote:Chris on Facebook-

I got one. And only one. Had to leave at the first encore break and miss several songs while standing out at the concession stand waiting for the five additional copies to be delivered. That's a good way to reward the fans who are fanatical enough to get this record--make them miss "Shot With His Own Gun" and "Talking in the Dark"!
There were two concession stands at the Greek (not particularly close to each other), so that should mean a total of 10 copies appearing mid-show.

But I don't get this marketing strategy at all. Making fans show up early to get one is one thing, but making them miss part of the show just seems cruel.
chickendinna

Post by chickendinna »

I missed getting the final copy they had by maybe a few minutes or less. Oh well :cry: :cry: :cry:
cwr

Post by cwr »

Considering that I loved this song so much I named my Costello website after it back in 1998, I will take this marketing strategy personally if I don't wind up acquiring one of these singles.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

cwr wrote:Considering that I loved this song so much I named my Costello website after it back in 1998, I will take this marketing strategy personally if I don't wind up acquiring one of these singles.
i remember that site...slightly. good luck getting a copy to you also.
And No Coffee Table

johnfoyle wrote:Maybe it's this -

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... Blue_Times

...a song for a film , that was only ever played the once on a radio show in 1998 -

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... c_Ballroom

Here's a sound file from that show
http://www.mediafire.com/file/qhbrssrza ... Times+.mp3
The A-side is the same recording as heard on the radio show, but the vinyl is about 90 seconds longer (for a total of about 3:23) with a repeat of the first verse. It's also missing the xylophone(?) part that can be heard near the end of the radio version.

"Bright Blue Dub" is about 6:53.
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

I've long felt it was very odd that this track wasn't included on the In Motion Pictures set. Granted, there were a lot of odd choices made on that set.

It seems he purposefully withheld unreleased material from that collection. Perhaps wisely. I wouldn't doubt if he receives more money for this one-off vinyl single than he would have received if it had been included on that earlier CD.

I'm thinking the "dub" b-side is a recent re-working of the original track. Does anyone know anything otherwise?
supplydavid

Post by supplydavid »

Certainly feels a tough situation for the fan base, crazy to sell more during the show as well. Nothing new on the old Lupe-O-Tone web site.

http://www.lupe-o-tone.com/
cwr

Post by cwr »

On the one hand, I hope that this is the first of many self-released Lupe-O-Tone records.

On the other, I hope that Costello will make them slightly less scarce if this pressing of 500 sells out as it undoubtedly will. There is a fine line between fun and torturing fans. Or maybe torturing fans is part of the fun?

I wonder what is the number at which these don't sell out? Certainly, if he only ever does editions of 500, he will always run out quickly. But what is the ceiling on a vinyl release like this? (How many vinyl copies of The Clarksdale Sessions were pressed, for instance?)
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

cwr wrote:There is a fine line between fun and torturing fans. Or maybe torturing fans is part of the fun?
I've long suspected that EC is conflicted by how much he needs us, compounded by his resentment of our fanatical dedication. He's already said that he makes all his money from touring, so why not, I don't know, make things like this available for purchase via his website? Something tells me he'd sell more than 500, and faster.
emotional_fascism076

Post by emotional_fascism076 »

Thanks for sharing the song from the radio special. I know I won't be able to make it to these shows. I'm hoping these tracks turn up another way. Very curious to hear them.
Who on earth is tapping at the window?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The new single is in Dublin - and candy! Thanks Suzanne Goldstyn - EC fans are the best in the world!