Imperial Bedroom & Other Chambers - Berkeley, CA, Greek Theatre June 3 2017  

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Imperial Bedroom & Other Chambers - Berkeley, CA, Greek Theatre June 3 2017  

Post by johnfoyle »

Who's going ?
johnfoyle

Re: Imperial Bedroom & Other Chambers - Berkeley, CA, Greek Theatre June 3 2017  

Post by johnfoyle »

Anyone? :D
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Berkeley, 6/3/17. https://t.co/IDsbsziFHp

Berkeley, 6/3/17: “Go Tell (Your Quiet Sister).” https://t.co/PctgUttDUs

Berkeley, 6/3/17: “Indoor Fireworks.” What Steve is doing on this song is stunning even by his standards. https://t.co/L2dbmoQBpE

Berkeley, 6/3/17: “The way you kiss me... The way you kiss me...” https://t.co/Tdy3IvbqDL
ramalama

Post by ramalama »

First, a report on the vinyl. My brother bought what the lady at the table said was the last copy of Bright Blue Times, and that the song was going to be played tonight. I don't know if she meant the last copy available at this show or the last one available. In any event, the song was not played tonight.

The Loved ones
Possession
And in every home
Accidents will happen
You'll never be a man
Tears before bedtime
Moods for moderns
Shabby doll
Human hands
Green shirt
Go tell your silent sister
Watching the detectives
Long honeymoon
Indoor fireworks
Kid about it
I want to be loved
King horse
You little fool
Pidgin English

Allison
Shot with his own gun
Almost blue
Uncomplicated
Beyond belief
Man out of time

Town crier
every day I write the book
pump it up
Peace love and understanding
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Via Steve Scott
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

How is the new song "Go Tell (Your Quiet Sister)"?
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Killer tune!
ramalama

Post by ramalama »

The difficulty I have in appreciating a new song is that I spend the first 3/4s of it wracking my brain trying to figure out whehter it is some obscure Momofuku outtake that is going to make my setlist incomplete. I jot down lyrical snippets in hopes the internet will save me later. What I have from scibbles in the dark and from memory is "Go tell your silent sister" (which is followed by brother, mother, father lines), later "Go tell your imaginary landslide," and "You want my name, well that's a shame." Looking at it now, is it a message to the heads of state on both sides of the Atlantic and their supposed mandate?
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

moved my post over to the right board and show date! like anyone cares...

Show was great! It started off a little rocky but settled in from Human Hands to the end of the show. Not saying the first group of songs were weak.. They just seemed like they were warming up a bit. In the end, they left the crowd wanting more.

I wasn't sure about the back up singers - whether they were needed. I couldn't hear them too much after 5 songs into the show. I thought they sort of butchered back up on Alison ( my opinion only) .. The gals sounded out of sync toward the end of the song and for moment I wondered if they knew the song. But, what do I know! I'm a bit of a clown.

I would see this show again if I could. Fun show and the guys seemed to be having fun, too. Steve N was excellent... Loved his funky red shirt, too.

I have one or two good pics and will share later. Gotta get outdoors - STAT.

Elvis for President! Steve for VP!
Last edited by MOJO on Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

image.jpg
image.jpg (29.56 KiB) Viewed 20546 times
image.jpg (24.74 KiB) Viewed 20546 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (21.6 KiB) Viewed 20546 times
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/elv ... 940169cd44

Elvis Costello Aims to Please on New Tour

Elvis Costello Aims to Please on New Tour

Paul Iorio, Contributor Freelance writer/reporter/photographer.

Elvis Costello and the Imposters performed in Berkeley last Saturday (June 3) as part of the “Imperial Bedroom & Other Chambers” tour, meaning that that album (minus two tracks) was the centerpiece of the concert, though there was plenty more to it than that. It could’ve been called the “My Aim is to Please” tour, because this gig was aimed right at the heart of fanatical fans of his primo work.

I mean, the surprise jolt of “King Horse” late in the set reminded me how great that track is — and it was followed by “You Little Fool” and a “Pidgin English” that dazzled with a soulful coda (thanks to two back-up singers who added real value to the show) and a fantastic keyboard part by Steve Nieve, whose contributions to Costello’s music over the decades cannot be overestimated. (It’s hard to find an equivalent to Nieve in rock; he’s somewhat like the George Martin of the Imposters/Attractions, responsible for so much of the stuff I return to in the E.C. oeuvre.)

At one point at the Greek Theater in Berkeley, during a knock-out “Shot With His Own Gun,” Nieve’s piano work evoked spontaneous applause from the crowd mid-song. There were even whoops from fans gathered in the hills above the theater, where I heard it.

Almost everything was a highlight in this meaty, no-fat show. “You’ll Never Be a Man” was played to perfection; “Green Shirt” was tense and intense until that melodic figure at the end; “Beyond Belief” was rockin’. And Costello gave “Indoor Fireworks” a country arrangement that made it work better than ever.

All the while, Costello told entertaining tales about “Imperial Bedroom,” now 35 years old, the “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Heart’s Club Band” of the new wave/punk era.

As I noted on my Facebook page on June 4th at 9:35pm — a unique point later echoed by the trade publication Variety in a review posted on June 5th at around 2pm — the additional vocalists were perfect for singing overlapping vocal parts Costello himself sang and overdubbed in the studio for such songs as “And in Every Home,” “Kid About It” and “Pidgin English.” (Replicating the album’s overdubs and main vocal in real time in concert worked better when split among multiple singers. When he tried to sing every part himself, there were occasional vocal timing problems.)

And the setlist was nearly flawless (though I was sort of hoping for “Imperial” outtakes like “Stamping Ground” and “The Town Where Time Stood Still” and “Seconds of Pleasure”). (Even better would’ve been “Invisible Man,” which sounds like a later draft of the latter.) And when Costello introduced Steve Nieve at the end of the show, Nieve — musically witty as always — slipped in a few bars of Serge Gainsbourg/Jane Birkin’s banned 1969 hit “Je T’aime (moi non plus).” I wonder how many others caught the reference?

It’s been a while since I enjoyed a concert this much.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

A NEW pic to go along with the review. Not too bad for a broken iphone
Mojo
Mojo
image.jpg (38.37 KiB) Viewed 20327 times
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Please God - and Elvis - bring this show to Britain!