Making of & people in the Clubland video, 1980

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Making of & people in the Clubland video, 1980

Post by johnfoyle »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kZXYqc8IL4

In the commentary on the The Right Spectacle DVD , the collection of videos released in 2005, Elvis says about Clubland that the some of the ladies in it were 'daughters of a local magistrate'. The video was made, directed by Barney Bubbles, on Jersey , a Channel Isle between England and France , in 1980. A Facebook page about memories of Jersey in the 1980s was helpful earlier this year regarding a previously undocumented show by Elvis and co. on Jersey in July 1980. I decided to post some screengrabs and see if more could be found out about the people who appeared alongside Elvis and The Attractions.

I posted them last evening and have had one responder so far.

Sharon Cox posted -

West park November 1980 . This was filmed in the disco called Blimpers in the basement and the band on stage was upstairs in the nightclub . It was a Friday.

The two girls were barmaids from a local bar called 'the old court house ' at st aubins harbour ,the man was called Stan Eastwood.

Left hand side doorman is Pix Pixford one on the right Julian

John Cox and Katie Evans

More when/ if I get anything.

Incidentally , the video for New Lace Sleeves was filmed at the same time. In the commentary Elvis says it was filmed on the same day as Clubland (yes , two videos in one day!) , with 'Sleeves done first. I'm guessing it was the video done in the basement.
johnfoyle

Re: People in the Clubland video

Post by johnfoyle »

Done on a 'Friday' in November - the only Friday that can be ruled out , at this point, is the 14th , when Elvis and co. were in Sweden.

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... %C3%B6ping
johnfoyle

Re: People in the Clubland video

Post by johnfoyle »

Liz Evans and Colin Alner

Elizabeth Ann Evans That's me !

I asked -

Elvis's commentary says it was all filmed in one day. Can you remember how much notice you had ? Dare I ask , how much did people get paid? Legendary designer Barney Bubbles directed the video , one of the few he did , classics like The Special's Ghostown. Can you remember how he directed? Did he instruct people individually etc?

Elizabeth Ann Evans

As far as I remember it was very last minute ..the dress the blonde is wearing was my sister in laws skirt pulled up to make a dress ! Kate ..the girl with John Cox had to borrow eyeliner which was worn down to the wood - we rehearsed a few times- can remember doing the dance chorus maybe three times - payment?! someone went out to buy takeaways for us ! Pretty sure that was it but will check with others & let you know - also re the director...certainly was filmed in one day ..

Sharon Cox

This could be wrong but think everyone got £10 plus a signed LP . On top of the takeaway. It was very last minute because it was really who could get the time off work that Friday ,less than a weeks notice .

The director was very tall and thin had a really long scarf and he personally directed everyone ,he had set ideas on each scene . He took charge of the whole thing personally.

Elvis himself spent most of the day with a ghetto blaster listening to opera very loudly .

Sharon Cox -

The younger man in this picture was Elvis personal mr fix it (personal bag man ) the other man is Stan Eastwood

(Is that a young Milo Lewis ?)

Tim Evans Remember it well .. seem to remember my old man took Elvis Costello to the Chinese in his Fiat 126 while I did my homework in the club under Inn on the Park.

Sharon Cox - Yes you are right we had a Chinese take away , cold by the time it got back . Pat most have done a detour to the pub .

Elizabeth Ann Evans remember the 'lovely ' food - that was our payment for brilliant acting !! Rachel sat doing her homework & wasn't at all interested

Rachel Evans That sounds about right !
johnfoyle

Re: Making of & people in the Clubland video, 1980

Post by johnfoyle »

I asked -

So Blimpers was in the basement of the Inn In The Park ? Is this what it looked like? And it is gone now?

Sharon Cox yes that was the building and it has gone to be replaced by a block of luxury flats .
emotional_fascism076

Post by emotional_fascism076 »

Great thread. I always like how sinister that clip looks. Goes well with the song.
Who on earth is tapping at the window?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The two girls were barmaids from a local bar called 'the old court house ' at st aubins harbour
The present owners of the Old Court House say they have no information about staff in 1980. They told me that after waiting to check with a long term staff member who had been away on holiday.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Whilst I don't use Facebook, you have to add it to John's credits in getting this information.

I love the bit about Elvis listening to opera very loudly on his ghetto blaster :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Chalkie Davies has made some comments about this video. I'm going to draw his attention to this thread and maybe we'll get some more information.