Elvis 'Detour', Oslo (Norway), February 27, 2017

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Elvis 'Detour', Oslo (Norway), February 27, 2017

Post by Man out of Time »

Elvis plays Sentrum Scene in Oslo, Norway on Monday 27 February, 2017. Tickets go on sale 9am on Friday 2 September.

http://rockefeller.no/310816a.html

"Sentrum Scene – Mandag 27. februar 2017

ELVIS COSTELLO

Legendariske Elvis Costello kommer til Oslo og Sentrum Scene med sitt lovprisede «Detour» soloshow!

Kritikerne har vært lyriske i sine anmeldelser av denne underholdende reisen i Costellos liv og diskografi: «Costello used to sneer with righteous rage. Now he is a profound showbiz veteran, from a country which should embrace him again», skrev The Independent.

Karrieren til Elvis Costello viser en artist som med stor eleganse har beveget seg mellom ulike sjangre. Han var en av forgrunnsfigurene for punk- og new wave-bølgen som skyllet over Storbritannia og etter hvert resten av verden på slutten av 70-tallet. Debutalbumet «My Aim Is True» fra 1977 og «This Years Model» som kom året etter er to sjangerdefinerende album for denne epoken.

Senere har Costello gitt ut et trettitalls album både som soloartist og i mer eller mindre uventede konstellasjoner, som teller både Paul McCartney, Brian Eno, Lucinda Williams, Burt Bacharach og Allen Toussaint. I tillegg har han produsert plater for blant andre The Pogues og The Specials. Hans sterke låtarsenal er blitt tolket av artister som George Jones, Chet Baker, Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison, Dusty Springfield, Robert Wyatt, No Doubt og Solomon Burke for å nevne noen. I fjor kom Costellos medrivende selvbiografi «Unfaithful Music & Disappearing Ink.»

Bill. kr. 550,- + bill.avg. 18 år leg.
Billetter i salg fredag 2. september kl. 09.00."

Or in "English" via Google Translate:

"Sentrum Scene - Monday 27 February 2017

Elvis Costello

Legendary Elvis Costello coming to Oslo Sentrum Scene with his acclaimed "Detour" solo show!

Critics have been lyrical in their reviews of this entertaining journey in Costello's life and discography, "Costello used to sneer with righteous rage. Now he is a profound showbiz veteran, from a country which should embrace him again, "wrote The Independent.

The career of Elvis Costello shows an artist with great elegance have moved between different genres. He was one of the prominent figures of the punk and new wave wave that washed over the UK and eventually the rest of the world in the late 70s. Their debut album "My Aim Is True" from 1977 and "This Years Model" which came a year after two genre-defining albums of this era.

Later, Costello released a thirty albums both as a solo artist and in more or less unexpected constellations, which counts both Paul McCartney, Brian Eno, Lucinda Williams, Burt Bacharach and Allen Toussaint. In addition, he has produced albums for, among others, The Pogues and The Specials. His strong låtarsenal has been interpreted by artists like George Jones, Chet Baker, Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison, Dusty Springfield, Robert Wyatt, No Doubt and Solomon Burke to name a few. Last year, Costello riveting autobiography "Unfaithful Music & Disappearing Ink."

Bill. kr. 550, - + bill.avg. 18 years leg.
Tickets on sale Friday 2 September at. 09:00."

The original review (by Nick Hasted) in The Independent, from which the quote is taken is here: http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... ne_3,_2015

MOOT
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis 'Detour', Oslo (Norway), February 27, 2017

Post by johnfoyle »

I just decided to go to this . YOLO etc.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Who's going?

I am , along with visitors from the U.K. and the U.S. .
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Good crowd of us here for the show - excitement building!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Glad u are there John...how many did u get to this week? :D :D
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Concert 2017-02-27 Oslo - The Elvis Costello Wiki
http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... 02-27_Oslo

Just Oslo, BA.

A understated, methodical show. Elvis seemed distracted. Still had two false starts , due to starting in high keys. It added a humanity to the show , along with Elvis mentioning emotional shows here in the past. A quiet, settled audience were appreciative but not ecstatic. Strict stewarding at the front was noticeable.

Bed now- five hours sleep & then flying home. Just had a great weekend , hanging out with Elvis fans.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Oh, I thought u have been with Heather etc. A few days now. May I ask....how did CINCO MINUTOS arrive out of SHIPBUILDING????
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Cinco is, amongst other things, the Argentine perspective on the story , the Malvinas/Falklands war in 1982, that prompted Shipbuilding so they make sense as a medley.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Setlist from wiki: http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... 02-27_Oslo

01. Watch Your Step
02. Accidents Will Happen
03. Church Underground
04. Stella Hurt
05. Everyday I Write The Book
06. Viceroy's Row
07. Shipbuilding / Cinco Minutos Con Vos
08. Deep Dark Truthful Mirror
09. Still
10. A Face In The Crowd
11. Little White Lies
12. Beyond Belief
13. Jimmie Standing In The Rain
14. Blood & Hot Sauce
15. No Man's Woman
16. The Name Of This Thing Is Not Love
17. Almost Blue
18. Pump It Up
19. Alison
20. 45
21. Vitajex
22. She
23. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Best of my photos

bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

johnfoyle wrote:Cinco is, amongst other things, the Argentine perspective on the story , the Malvinas/Falklands war in 1982, that prompted Shipbuilding so they make sense as a medley.
Did not know that....still I wonder how they meshed. Did he play Cinco at the piano???
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Yes, the medley was accompanied by piano.
Arbogast

Post by Arbogast »

Only 21-song setlist at Bergen?

Am I the only one getting the sense that these Scandinavia shows--maybe owing to some listless audiences--have been deeply underwhelming?

Had he done "Detour" there already? Cuz the shtick seems a bit tired.
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Review (in Norwegian) by Victoria Tronstad from Gaffa magazine:

"Elvis Costello, Sentrum Scene, Oslo
En beundringsverdig spilleglad og åpenhjertig entertainer
4 Stars (out of 6)

Anmeldt av Victoria Tronstad | GAFFA

Da Elvis Costello gjestet Sentrum Scene som et ledd av sin pågående solo-turné, ble det raskt klart at stemmen hans ikke lenger er like solid som det den en gang var. Flere av låtene hans bar dessverre preg av en litt haltende vokal-jobb og en tildels distrahert artist på scenen.

Det var spesielt kveldens første låter som fikk lide, blant dem åpningssporene Watch Your Step, Accidents Will Happen, Church Underground og den ellers grådig mektige Stella Hurt. Under Everyday I Write the Book begynte heldigvis den legendariske briten å finne seg til rette og var tilsynelatende mer komfortabel på scenen, noe som førte med seg et klart kvalitets-hopp.

Konsertens største vendepunkt, og kanskje til og med høydepunkt, kom imidlertid i form av The Roots-samarbeidet Viceroy’s Row. Med en så vidt belyst Costello på en mørklagt scene, fremførte han en ytterst mektig og rivende versjon av sporet hentet fra kollaborasjons-albumet Wise Up Ghost. Denne versjonen befant seg langt unna originalen og var fullstendig fri for The Roots sin stilistiske og alternative hiphop. Denne dystre tolkningen blir nok en live-favoritt under den pågående Detour-turnéen og gjør seg så absolutt verdig til en egen innspilling.

Etter Viceroy’s Row fulgte det flere lysglimt fra hans over førti år lange musikk-karriere, som Shipbuilding/Cinco Minutos Con Vos, Still, Beyond Belief, Alison, She og ikke minst særdeles vakre flygel-versjoner av The Name of This Thing Is Not Love og Almost Blue.

Sist Costello gjestet Sentrum Scene ga GAFFAs anmelder tre stjerner og omtalte begivenheten som ujevn, mye grunnet en kjedelig og usammenhengende settliste.

Det var slettes ikke tilfellet denne gangen. Nå satt nemlig settlisten som et skudd. Dette var i stor grad takket være hans fantastiske evne til å sette hver og én låt i kontekst. Ved å fortelle historier på et vittig og fengende vis om barndommen, artist-livet og om menneskene som har inspirert han opp gjennom årene, skapte han et svært dedikert publikum som ga seg ende over med full jubel etter hver eneste låt.

Elvis Costello har kanskje ikke klart å holde sin rungende signatur-stemme ved like, men den spilleglade og åpenhjertige entertaineren i han er fortsatt svært beundringsverdig."

Tord Litleskare / tordlitleskarephoto.com
Tord Litleskare / tordlitleskarephoto.com
Oslo.jpg (93.2 KiB) Viewed 13984 times
Or in "English" via Google Translate:

"Elvis Costello, Sentrum Scene, Oslo
An admirable play happy and outspoken entertainer

Reviewed by Victoria Tronstad | Gaffe

When Elvis Costello performed at Sentrum Scene as part of his ongoing solo tour, it quickly became clear that his voice is no longer as solid as what it once was. Several of his songs bar unfortunately characterised by a slightly faltering vocal work and partly distracted artist on stage.

It was especially tonight first songs that got to suffer, among them opening slots Watch Your Step, Accidents Will Happen, Church Underground and otherwise greedy mighty Stella Hurt. Under Everyday I Write the Book began fortunately the legendary Briton to settle and was apparently more comfortable on stage, which brought with it a definite quality jump.

The concert's turning point, and perhaps even highlight, however, came in the form of The Roots collaboration Viceroy's Row. With a barely lit Costello on a darkened stage, he performed an extremely powerful and rapid version of the track obtained from collaborations album Wise Up Ghost. This version was located far away from the original and was completely free from The Roots its stylistic and alternative hiphop. This gloomy interpretation will be a live favourite during the ongoing Detour-tour and doing so certainly worthy of a separate recording.

After Viceroy's Row followed several flashes of his over forty years long music career, which Shipbuilding / Cinco Minutos Con Vos Still, Beyond Belief, Alison, She not to mention exceptionally beautiful grand piano versions of The Name of This Thing Is Not Love and Almost Blue.

Last Costello performed at Sentrum Scene gave Gaffar reviews three stars and trumpeted the event as uneven, mainly due to a boring and incoherent set list.

It was not deleted the case this time. Now put namely set list like a shot. This was largely thanks to his amazing ability to put each one song in context. By telling stories in a witty and captivating view of childhood, artist life and about the people who have inspired him over the years, he created a very dedicated audience who gave themselves to the full cheers after every track.

Elvis Costello has perhaps failed to keep his resounding trademark vocal alive, but the Gamblers and frank the entertainer in him is still very admirable."

MOOT