Party Party question

Pretty self-explanatory
Neil.

Party Party question

Post by Neil. »

Any idea what instrument makes the funny spooky noise that opens Elvis's least favourite of his songs? It sounds a bit like a spaceman materialising in a 50s film.
Mr. Getgood

Re: Party Party question

Post by Mr. Getgood »

I think it may be an amalgamation of more than one instrument. Possibly a celeste (also known as a celesta) is in there with effects added to it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSP_HorKQMc

Sorry, this is the best example I could find of that instrument.
I love you just as much as I hate your guts.
Mr. Getgood

Post by Mr. Getgood »

I love you just as much as I hate your guts.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Cheers, Mr GG - could be waterphone with a violin bow, I guess... Hmmmm... Here's a reminder of the opening:

https://youtu.be/0fUgARkam68
Harry Lime

Post by Harry Lime »

Well that's a fine little song there. And I have to say I've never really looked at those lyrics, so some of my mis-hearing has been corrected (Like: why does everybody have to be so heavy hearted...)

Thanks for sharing!
Who put these fingerprints on my imagination?
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

Did anyone ever see the film the song came from? I remember it being quite a big deal at the time. Being labelled a British 'brat pack' style movie. I remember it not being very good.
Just looking at the wiki page its surprising how many well known British actors are in it. Especially if you watch East Enders. I remembered Daniel Peacock being in it but not Karl Howman, Perry Fenwick or Caroline Quinten.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

sheeptotheslaughter wrote:Did anyone ever see the film the song came from? I remember it being quite a big deal at the time. Being labelled a British 'brat pack' style movie. I remember it not being very good.
Just looking at the wiki page its surprising how many well known British actors are in it. Especially if you watch East Enders. I remembered Daniel Peacock being in it but not Karl Howman, Perry Fenwick or Caroline Quinten.
It's awful. Watch here (if you dare):