Paul McCartney: Flowers In The Dirt Archive Collection

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Re: Paul McCartney: Flowers In The Dirt Archive Collection

Post by sweetest punch »

Another Mac-manus / McCartney song is registered at ASCAP: I DON'T WANT TO CONFESS (Work ID 890916502).
Also for the Flowers In The Dirt Archive Collection?
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.paulmccartney.com/news-blog ... ol-records

Paul Signs Worldwide Recording Agreement With Capitol Records

Historic deal encompasses McCartney’s catalogue of master recordings and welcomes him home to label where he began his extraordinary career

Paul McCartney has signed a worldwide recording agreement with Capitol Records, it was announced today by Capitol Music Group (CMG) Chairman & CEO Steve Barnett.

“This is genuinely exciting for me,” McCartney said. “Not only was Capitol my first U.S. record label, but the first record I ever bought was Gene Vincent’s 'Be-Bop-A-Lula' on the Capitol label.”

This historic contract encompasses McCartney's entire body of post-Beatles work, from his 1970 McCartney album, through his decade with Wings, to the dozens of solo and collaborative works that have continually reaffirmed his standing as the most popular, influential and acclaimed artist in the history of recorded music. In a career that spans six decades, McCartney has sold more than 500 million records worldwide. He was recently named the United Kingdom’s most successful albums artist of all time by the Official Albums Chart Company and was knighted by Queen Elizabeth II in 1997 for his services to music.

Paul McCartney is the recipient of countless accolades and awards. He is a 21-time Grammy winner, two-time inductee into the Rock And Roll Hall of Fame, an Academy Award winner and honoree of the prestigious Kennedy Center Honors, the Gershwin Prize for Popular Song and France’s Légion d'Honneur.

McCartney is currently working on a new studio album, while a comprehensive plan for the artist's catalogue is being conceived by Capitol and Universal Music Enterprises (UMe) – in conjunction with the artist and his management team – and will be implemented beginning July 2017. The catalogue moves to Capitol/UMe from Concord, Paul’s previous label partner on such Grammy-winning albums as Band On The Run (Best Historical Album, 2012), Kisses On The Bottom (Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album, 2013) and Wings Over America (Best Boxed or Special Limited Edition Package, 2014).

According to Barnett, "Paul McCartney’s association with Capitol has long defined so much of our historic legacy, and all of us here are extremely proud and honored that he has chosen to come back home. Paul’s indelible contributions to our culture are second to none, and his constant evolution as an artist and performer continues to inspire and enrich the lives of countless millions of people. We are overjoyed that Paul will be creating new music for years to come, and that Capitol will be helping to present it to the world.”

Lucian Grainge, Chairman and CEO of Universal Music Group, said: “It would be simply impossible to overstate what an honor it is to welcome Paul back to Capitol. It's a homecoming of one of the greatest musical artists of all time to the label that first helped bring his incredible music to the world. Paul's astonishing career has shown no limits - in creativity, in commercial longevity, and in its impact on people and cultures in every corner of the globe. We are thrilled at both Capitol and UMG to be able to contribute to the next chapter in Paul's extraordinary career.”

Michele Anthony, UMG’s Executive Vice President of U.S. Recorded Music added, “Paul’s vital and legendary body of work as a solo artist remains essential, relevant and so highly in demand. We’re beyond thrilled at the opportunity to put the global resources of Universal Music behind Paul’s forthcoming work, as well as introducing his previous iconic albums to new generations of fans around the world."

----------------------
Hopefully this won't delay the release of the Flowers In The Dirt Archive Collection. If Paul takes this album to his new label, the release will be postponed until 2017. The unexpected release of Pure McCartney (with the omission of FITD tracks) now feels like a last obligation to his current label.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Seems like this won't come out this year :(
People on the Steve Hoffman forum have inside information: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/p ... 8/page-167

"- According to sources at MPL, FITD has been pushed back to "early 2017" because of the changes in label.
- Where did you hear this?
- An interviewer who's done interviews with Wix and Macca about the release. He got the word from Macca's publicist Stuart Bell that the interviews is put on hold because the archive release is pushed back to "early 2017".
"
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Good news: the Flowers In The Dirt - Deluxe Edition (3CD + 1 DVD) is available for pre-order: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NBJKG1L/re ... 9e2ca58385
Releasedate is March 24, 2017.

Special Edition 2CD: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N7HKBQU/re ... n+the+dirt

Vinyl 2LP: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MQVEEVA/re ... n+the+dirt
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

From a Beatles Blog: http://wogew.blogspot.be

(...)
"Unconfirmed from the industry is that the set includes 21 demos, 61 tracks all in all (music and video), plus paper material in the form of at least one 112 page book and several other booklets etc."
(...)
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

https://www.paulmccartney.com/news-blog ... n-the-dirt

LONG AWAITED 10th INSTALMENT OF THE GRAMMY-WINNING ARCHIVE COLLECTION OUT MARCH 24 VIA MPL/Capitol/UMe

FORMATS TO INCLUDE 2CD SPECIAL EDITION, 2LP VINYL AND 3CD+DVD DELUXE EDITION BOX SET FEATURING PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED DEMOS, UNSEEN ARCHIVAL VIDEO, NOTEBOOK OF PAUL’S HANDWRITTEN LYRICS AND NOTES, LINDA McCARTNEY FLOWERS IN THE DIRT EXHIBITION CATALOGUE, 112-PAGE HARDCOVER BOOK DOCUMENTING THE MAKING OF THE ALBUM AND MORE

The long awaited 10th release in the multiple-Grammy Award-winning Paul McCartney Archive Collection has been confirmed: On March 24, 2017, Paul’s 1989 international #1 album, Flowers In The Dirt, will be the latest classic solo work from one of the world’s most revered catalogues to get the special treatment across a multi-format reissue released by MPL/Capitol/UMe.

The Paul McCartney Archive Collection release of Flowers In The Dirt was, as always, personally supervised by Paul himself.

One of the most critically acclaimed albums of the eighties, nominated for both BRIT and Grammy Awards, Flowers In The Dirt saw Paul team up with Elvis Costello to co-write a third of the album ('My Brave Face', 'You Want Her Too', 'Don’t Be Careless Love' and 'That Day is Done') as well as boasting production credits from producers such as Mitchell Froom, Trevor Horn, David Foster, Steve Lipson, Elvis Costello and Paul himself. Pink Floyd guitar legend David Gilmour makes an appearance on 'We Got Married' and George Martin’s string arrangement on 'Put It There' is amongst the many album highlights.

The Flowers In The Dirt Deluxe Edition Box Set will undoubtedly be yet another crown jewel in the collection of any Paul McCartney fan. In addition to its wealth of audio and video content, exclusive features of the Deluxe Edition include a 32-page notebook of Paul’s handwritten lyrics and notes, a catalogue for Linda McCartney’s 1989 Flowers In The Dirt photo exhibition, a 64 page photobook featuring the music videos for 'This One', and a stunning, custom-created 112-page book telling the complete story of the album through exclusive in-depth interviews with Paul, Elvis Costello and other key contributors. Along with expanded track-by-track information, the book contains album and single artwork as well as previously unpublished photographs by Linda McCartney.

Sessions for Flowers In The Dirt began in 1987 and the majority of the album was recorded at Paul’s Hog Hill Mill studio in East Sussex. During the sessions Costello convinced Paul to dig out his iconic Höfner bass for the first time in years — a suggestion McCartney recalls as, "unusual because I had sort of parked it. I had thought I had outgrown it. I started playing it again and never really looked back. It’s great that Elvis encouraged me to take it out.” In preparation for his first major world tour in years Paul was looking to capture songs he could take on the road with him. Paul told his band that he wouldn’t go out on tour unless he really liked the album. Looking back Paul recalls, “You’re always thinking, ‘Let’s get some new songs and take them on tour’ and you hope your new songs are going to work. Something like ‘My Brave Face’ would be a song that nobody knew at the start at the beginning of the tour and then everybody knew it at the end and it was the high spot of the whole tour.”

The original 13-track album was remastered for all the new configurations at Abbey Road Studios. The Deluxe Edition contains 18 bonus audio tracks across two discs, featuring previously unreleased demos, written and performed by Paul with Elvis Costello. Speaking about these tracks Paul said: “The demos are red hot off the skillet and that’s why we wanted to include them on this boxed set. What’s great about these songs is that they’ve just been written. So there’s nothing more hot off the skillet as I say. So that was the kind of great instant thing about them. I hadn’t listened to them in ages but when I did I knew we had to put them out. We made a little tape of them and sent them to Elvis, who loved them too. We said we should put out an EP or something and now the moment’s finally arrived.”

The Deluxe Edition also includes, as digital downloads only, three unheard cassette demos, 'I Don’t Want To Confess', 'Shallow Grave' and 'Mistress And Maid' as well as a collection of original B-sides, remixes and single edits.

The DVD that comes with the Deluxe Edition includes all the music videos from the album, three new short films with unseen archive material that show some of the creation process of the album and the documentary 'Put It There' originally released on VHS in 1989 – a behind-the-scenes look at the making of Flowers In The Dirt as well as featuring live performances from his 1989 World Tour.

The 2 CD Special Edition includes the remastered version of the album on the first disc. The second disc includes Paul and Elvis’s previously unreleased original demos.

The 2 LP Edition also comes with a digital download version. The first LP includes the remastered album but in keeping with the original vinyl release doesn’t include 'Où Est Le Soleil?' (this track will be available with the accompanying digital download). The second LP includes Paul and Elvis’s previously unreleased original demos.

FLOWERS IN THE DIRT
TRACKLISTING:

SPECIAL EDITION (3CD/1DVD)
DISC 1:
1. My Brave Face (2017 Remaster)
2. Rough Ride (2017 Remaster)
3. You Want Her Too (2017 Remaster)
4. Distractions (2017 Remaster)
5. We Got Married (2017 Remaster)
6. Put It There (2017 Remaster)
7. Figure Of Eight (2017 Remaster)
8. This One (2017 Remaster)
9. Don’t Be Careless Love (2017 Remaster)
10. That Day Is Done (2017 Remaster)
11. How Many People (2017 Remaster)
12. Motor Of Love (2017 Remaster)
13. Où Est Le Soleil? (2017 Remaster)

DISC 2:
1. The Lovers That Never Were (Original Demo)
2. Tommy’s Coming Home (Original Demo)
3. Twenty Fine Fingers (Original Demo)
4. So Like Candy (Original Demo)
5. You Want Her Too (Original Demo)
6. That Day Is Done (Original Demo)
7. Don’t Be Careless Love (Original Demo)
8. My Brave Face (Original Demo)
9. Playboy To A Man (Original Demo)

DISC 3:
1. The Lovers That Never Were (1988 Demo)
2. Tommy’s Coming Home (1988 Demo)
3. Twenty Fine Fingers (1988 Demo)
4. So Like Candy (1988 Demo)
5. You Want Her Too (1988 Demo)
6. That Day Is Done (1988 Demo)
7. Don’t Be Careless Love (1988 Demo)
8. My Brave Face (1988 Demo)
9. Playboy To A Man (1988 Demo)

DVD
Music Videos:
1. My Brave Face
2. My Brave Face (Version 2)
3. This One (Version 1)
4. This One (Version 2)
5. Figure Of Eight
6. Party Party
7. Où Est Le Soleil?
8. Put It There
9. Distractions
10. We Got Married

Creating Flowers in the Dirt:
1. Paul And Elvis
2. Buds In The Studio
3. The Making Of ‘This One’
(The Dean Chamberlain One)

Put it There:
1. Put It There Documentary

DOWNLOAD ONLY:
Original B-sides, remixes and single edits:
1. Back On My Feet
2. Flying To My Home
3. The First Stone
4. Good Sign
5. This One (Club Lovejoys Mix)
6. Figure Of Eight (12” Bob Clearmountain Mix)
7. Loveliest Thing
8. Où Est Le Soleil? (12” Mix)
9. Où Est Le Soleil? (Tub Dub Mix)
10. Où Est Le Soleil? (7” Mix)
11. Où Est Le Soleil? (Instrumental)
12. Party Party (Original Mix)
13. Party Party (Club Mix)

Cassette demos:
1. I Don’t Want To Confess
2. Shallow Grave
3. Mistress And Maid

---

SPECIAL EDITION (2CD)
DISC 1:
13. Où Est Le Soleil? (2017 Remaster)

DISC 2:

---

VINYL (2LP)
Disc 1
Side A:
Side B:
13. Où Est Le Soleil? (2017 Remaster) (**not on vinyl, this track will be available with the accompanying digital download).

Disc 2
Side A:
Side B:
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

What a nice surprise: almost all the bonus content consists of the Elvis and Paul collaboration.
And No Coffee Table

sweetest punch wrote:What a nice surprise: almost all the bonus content consists of the Elvis and Paul collaboration.
Yes, there's a lot more Elvis content than I expected. I'm not thrilled with the high price (I assume it will come down before the release date) or the strange decision to make an album's worth of bonus material download-only. But it's still a must-have for me.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Erm... What's this 'Party Party' track?
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Neil. wrote:Erm... What's this 'Party Party' track?
Not a cover:

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Nice photo in the promo material -

I gave the original release from 1989 a spin last evening - so many sweet tunes. Such a contrast with its (kind of) companion album Spike.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

-
Last edited by Neil. on Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

-
Last edited by Neil. on Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

docinwestchester wrote:
Not a cover:

Hmmm... compare and contrast!

emotional_fascism076

Post by emotional_fascism076 »

I've bought all of these so far and will get this one for sure but it looks like all the demos could have fit on one discs and the download only tracks should have been on another. :?
Who on earth is tapping at the window?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Anyone know the difference between an 'original demo' and a '1988 demo'? Is Elvis on both?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

People on the Steve Hoffman Forum are discussing this Archive Collection release for more than a year now: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/p ... 17.465078/

This is one opinion about the difference between an 'original demo' and a '1988 demo': http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/p ... 8/page-392
"Briefly, disc 2 has the 1987 demos, and disc 3 has the 1988 "band demos." I think MPL are being polite by calling the disc 3 tracks "demos"; it seems that these are the basic tracks/early recordings for what was meant to be a more collaborative McCartney / MacManus album -- a plan that was scuttled after Paul and Elvis differed on the production. If that's what these are, it's kind of amazing that they're being released at all -- when you think about it, Paul hasn't allowed anything to be released on these Archive sets that would encourage fans to second-guess his decision-making with regards to the finished album.

We won't know for sure until we hear them, of course -- and we don't know how "complete" they will sound -- but disc 3 could end up being a fascinating "lost" alternate album. Interesting side note: I was re-reading the booklet to the "McCartney/MacManus Collaboration" bootleg, and it claimed that one of the finished songs on FITD featured the lead vocal from the abandoned early 1988 sessions, because Paul never re-recorded it. I think it was "Don't Be Careless Love"; I'd have to re-check. We'll know if this is true in a few months! "
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Thanks, S.P.!
emotional_fascism076

Post by emotional_fascism076 »

It does sound like Paul's vocal on that is a rough vocal. One of my favorites of their collaboration for sure.
Who on earth is tapping at the window?
And No Coffee Table

https://www.paulmccartney.com/news-blog ... he-us-asks

The next few months are going to be about all things Flowers In The Dirt, following the exciting announcement that the album would be the 10th release in the GRAMMY Award-winning Paul McCartney Archive Collection.

Flowers In The Dirt saw Paul team up with Elvis Costello to co-write a third of the album, the majority of which was recorded at Paul’s own studio in East Sussex. Joe from the US has been in touch to find out more about the dynamic between the two…

“What was it like writing and recording with Elvis? Did you learn anything from him in the process?”

We spoke with Paul in his London office a few weeks ago to find out,

“Thanks for your question, Joe. The answer is no! [Laughs] It was good! It was good fun actually. When we were about to start, I had said to Elvis that I kind of missed the way John and I used to write, which was sitting across from each other, with an acoustic guitar each. And I’d explain to him that the fun thing for me was, with John being right-handed and me being left-handed it kind of looked like it was in a mirror. So I said we should do the same thing. He just came down to my studio in Sussex and we used that same process. We just sat down, started banging away until one of us had an idea, or either of us brought in something that had inspired us and we wrote in the same manner that John and I had written in. So that was nice, it was kind of reminiscent of using this method once again. And the great thing was, this time, once we were finished, we could go right downstairs into the studio itself - because we wrote in my office above the studio - and we’d go right downstairs into the studio the minute we’d finished it. Five minutes later we’d recorded it. Talk about fresh! That was ‘hot off the skillet’."

PM.com: "And those are the acoustic demos on the reissue?"

Paul: "Those are the demos, yeah. That’s why they sound so immediate - because they are!"

PM.com: “We were listening to them earlier. They sound like they could have been recorded today!"

Paul: "Yeah, there was a very good spirit on them. We thought, ‘Just finished a song, yeah. Let’s go downstairs and just record it!’”

We really love the acoustic demos on the Flowers In The Dirt reissue and can’t wait for you to hear them too, so remember to keep checking back to PaulMcCartney.com…
And No Coffee Table

Official preview:

It's the same track we know from bootlegs, but it sounds better than I've heard before.
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

Wow -- sound quality is much improved.
(And it wasn't too bad previously.)
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Is it me...I feel ELVIS has the lead vocal here? Was it always that way? Must go back to the boot one time.
Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif »

Not so easy to disentangle these voices!

McCartney low in verse and high in middle bits; EC high in verse and low in middle bits I think.
Twenty-Five fingers' chorus is more tahn just two. In fact, I think they doubletracked both their vocals here and there?