Book about Brinsley Schwarz, October 2016

Pretty self-explanatory
krm

Re: Book about Brinsley Schwarz, October 2016

Post by krm »

Did anyone buy and /or read this? Is it worth reading?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

'It's all lies' said Brinsley Schwarz , with a half smile , as he signed my copy after the show I saw him do with Graham Parker in Newbury last September. Given that he is quoted extensively throughout it after talking to the writer he was being as self effacing as ever. Nick Lowe was the only band member not to contribute so it is probably as all inclusive an account that will appear. The format is , essentially , an account of a period of time followed by quotes more or less telling the same story.

The book is rich with illustrations, every known photo , nicely reproduced. Lots of ads., session documents and other ephemera. There's what seems to be a comprehensive listing of all their gigs and lots of contemporary reviews.

Typos and misspellings abound in my my copy - maybe I inadvertently got a uncorrected edition. It kind of adds to the account, the series of misfires and disasters that affected the band's narrative.

It kind of continues. An official Facebook page at the moment goes by the name 'Binsley Schwarz' , the misspelling inadvertently registered and cannot be changed for a few months due to f/book rules. The page has , however, posted lots of posters etc. that are not in this book. Just this week I shared a story from Uncut . It's about a film that is being planned about the Fillmore hype , that blighted the band's existence. It drew caustic remarks from band members , especially Ian Gomm, who mentions how , even though he joined the band after it , he gave over his life savings to help pay it off. It is still clearly a raw point for them.
krm

Post by krm »

Thanks John.I give it a try. Ordered!
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

Stumbled upon this image recently, from Melody Maker, March 14, 1970:
Attachments
MM 1970-03-14 cover.jpg
MM 1970-03-14 cover.jpg (139.98 KiB) Viewed 9109 times