A Face In The Crowd: London 2024

Pretty self-explanatory
Neil.

Re: A Face In The Crowd: new musical

Post by Neil. »

Holy crap - having heard only a few of these songs live at the Palladium in May this year, it's amazing to hear 'Face In The Crowd' and 'American Mirror' on that Newport broadcast after all this has come to pass (Brexit and Trump).

The Elvis-loving side of me wants this musical to go ahead, of course. The pragmatic side of me thinks Broadway will want to try to forget about Trump as much as poss. But maybe a hip off-Broadway place will take it on?

Meanwhile, all's gone quiet on PFM... which is perhaps more Broadway....

These are our only hope of new material in the 'no more albums' era Elvis! Please God let both of them see the light of day!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I was due to see Larkin Poe on Wednesday but they cancelled their UK tour.

Anyone else notice that they cancelled due to a wonderful opportunity that's come their way.

Given there's also a public workshop of Face in the Crowd, it's hard to see that these are not connected...
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

The workshop takes place in the Pubic Theatre: http://www.publictheater.org/
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
stricttime81

Post by stricttime81 »

At this point I'd be surprised if any of these EC musicals ever sees the light of day.
AKA: Mike the Lawyer
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

i don't see anything glancing quickly at this weeks calendar for the Public Theatre
emotional_fascism076

Post by emotional_fascism076 »

johnfoyle wrote:This is about the only place where some of the new songs can be heard legally -

http://www.npr.org/event/music/48784342 ... -folk-2016
Thanks for the link. I wish there was a way to download that concert.
Who on earth is tapping at the window?
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

... or for months till we can buy them legally, it is rumouredly suggested that some/all can be sampled at times on maybe Soulseek mon - wed - fri mornings uk - allegedly ...
'Sometimes via the senses, mostly in the mind (or pocket)'.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.leaderpost.com/Entertainment ... story.html

So, when I come to Calgary I would imagine I will find a way to play you a couple of songs from a musical (A Face In the Crowd) that I’m working on with Sarah Ruhl, which is I would say at the mid point of development towards of an actual run …
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

An actual run. That' s great news!
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

He said 'towards an actual run' - I don't think any musical is a definite until people are watching it in a theatre on first night! Look at what happened to the Mike Myers musical. I really hope he manages to swing it, though!
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

I know, maybe I was a little too optimistic. :)
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

... Apparently, 'Town called Riddle' performed 2016-04-15 and 2016-12-10 by DPAM is the only of new AFITC songs not available yet online for preview till we can buy it.

Happy Merry.
'Sometimes via the senses, mostly in the mind (or pocket)'.
emotional_fascism076

Post by emotional_fascism076 »

Any fan made compilations of the new songs making the rounds? :wink:
Who on earth is tapping at the window?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Interesting item in that account elsewhere about the sound mixing at Elvis's recent shows -

http://www.avidblogs.com/venue-s6l-on-t ... -costello/

I also take recordings and mix out tracks. Elvis is writing for a musical, and I’ll mix out tracks to send to his producers to listen. And he wants them not to be just board mixes. He wants them to be like basically mastered, decent mixes that can be put into an iTunes playlist with a bunch of other music and sounds okay.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Elvis talked about this new musical in a promo interview for the Malmö show and there is real progression: http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... =2&t=10974

(...)
When he now tours as enmannaorkester he does it with all his extensive song catalog available, but also intend to present the songs from his latest and unpublished projects: the musical "A face in the crowd," based on Budd Schulbergs novel. It was filmed by Elia Kazan in 1957, with the screenplay by the same Schulberg and Andy Griffith in the lead role. If things go well, it may have premiered before the year is out.
- As far as I can judge the work flows of good, but the process is completely different than I'm used to and can grasp. Through the years, I have been involved in several similar projects as all of them put down before they got this far. Commissioned in touch and say "we want to do a musical on this theme, it is worth discussing? Is it singable?". I have reached the point that I wrote a few songs and we worked out a few scenes, but then the air has gone out of everything. Though this time we really do progress. Some very good people involved.
One of these is the Pulitzer-nominated writer Sarah Ruhl, who along with Costello worked at one of those performances that were shelved: a musical about wher, a radio station in Memphis run by women only. In our region is the chamber opera about Jenny Lind that would have been set up in 2005, more familiar; on behalf of the Royal Copenhagen he composed ten songs, but then got writer's block and never completed the work.
In an interview in 2011, I asked him what would get him to come to grips with a larger work again. "Right now everything feels such a total stranger," he said then. But that was then.
- I have twenty songs for the musical which I heard different voices singing. That sounds promising. But we need more time to orchestrate and practice. How it works: to test together, the group dissolved, to make improvements and then seen it again. It's a bit like making a movie - all have given functions, but also shared responsibility. There is much we have to agree.
(...)
(...)
- People have been quick to make connections to the current political situation in America and see the Elia Kazan film that prophecy, but they make a big mistake if they think that this is what we write about. The similarities are coincidental. The short story and the musical is about our timeless ability to create monsters. But, sure: there are at least a couple of monsters in the world right now, and more will they be.
Costello draws a parallel to Bertolt Brecht's story of Arturo Ui, written in exile and completed in 1941.

(...)

In his promo interview for the Helsinki show, he tells that he's going to work on this musical for the next months: http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... =2&t=10871

(...)
"This is the last Detour tour and perhaps the last tour of my life, who knows? I'm going to really pull this together to finish the job before I concentrate months Face in the Crowd project. "
(...)
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Bob Dylan interviewed by Bill Flanagan

http://www.bobdylan.com/news/qa-with-bill-flanagan/

(extract)

No one can hear “As Time Goes By” and not think of Casablanca. What are some movies that have inspired your own songs?

The Robe, King of Kings, Samson and Delilah, some others too. Maybe, like, Picnic and A Face in the Crowd.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Intriguing.

25 Apr 2017

https://twitter.com/Crystal_LP/status/8 ... 9088139269

Crystal Lucas-Perry‏ LP crystal caving #ArtistsAtWork #OnATuesday with @ElvisCostello, @RyahNixon and @BCeeGee

Ryah Nixon, Briana C-G, Crystal Lucas-Perry and Elvis Costello
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

And the Imposters are together in New York this Friday...
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

sweetest punch wrote:And the Imposters are together in New York this Friday...
doing what????
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Seems a bit weird that the Imposters would come together for just this one gig this friday. Everything is speculation of course, but are they rehearsing for the upcoming tour or ... recording? Are they involved in this project?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

funny you should say so SP!!! as i typed this (DOING WHAT?) hoping for a possible nyc show this friday two hours ago....i got to thinking: I WOULD TRADE A SHOW THIS WEEK AND A COUPLE IN THE SUMMER FOR THE RECORDING OF A NEW LP THIS WEEK IN NYC!!!! 8) 8) 8)
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I told Elvis after Sheffield that if the new songs weren't for a musical, he should be making a new album and he laughed and said something about record contracts !!! Perhaps he's decided to just go for it and there'll be a UK tour promoting the new album in the autumn :shock:
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

sweetest punch wrote:Seems a bit weird that the Imposters would come together for just this one gig this friday. Everything is speculation of course, but are they rehearsing for the upcoming tour or ... recording? Are they involved in this project?
Maybe a little rehearsal for their Saturday appearance in DC?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Do they need a rehearsal Dave???