Re: Elvis & The Imposters , Chicago , IL 29 October 2016

Post by ChuckyChip »

IMG_3432.JPG
IMG_3432.JPG (131.34 KiB) Viewed 18182 times
Apparently the show is sold out.
jmm

Post by jmm »

Wonder how many attending will have one eye / ear on the Cubs????
I too am a limited, primitive kind of man
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Twitter:
Alright who is attending the #elviscostello show @ChicagoTheatre? Big security & #chicago cop presence @ElvisCostello
No idea what happened at Chicago Theatre, usually one of best sounding rooms. But Elvis Costello sounds like he's playing in a vacuum.
Something is not right with the sound for Elvis Costello at the Chicago Theatre.
153.00 a ticket you would expect to hear the singer. #ElvisCostello #chicagotheater sound is horrendous.
@ElvisCostello. Killing. It.

And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Man, @ElvisCostello laid waste to @ChicagoTheatre tonight! New songs A Face in the Crowd, American Mirror, and Blood & Hot Sauce are fire!

The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

My initial attempt at reconstructing the set list from memory. It's possible I missed a song or two. The order is definitely dodgy.

Town where time stood still
The loved Ones
Lipstick Vogue
...And In Every Home
Accidents Will Happen
You'll Never Be A Man
Moods For Moderns
Human Hands
Tears Before Bedtime
Green Shirt
Watching The Detectives
Shabby Doll
You Little Fool
Hand In Hand
Kid About It
Pidgin English
Alison
The Long Honeymoon
Shot with His Own Gun
This House Is Empty Now
Almost Blue

Town Cryer
Beyond Belief
Man Out Of Time
Everyday I Write The Book

Blood And Hot Sauce
A Face In The Crowd
American Mirror
Pump It Up
Peace, Love, & Understanding
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertain ... story.html

Elvis Costello reaches deep for innovative Chicago Theatre set

Elvis Costello is at the point in his career where he could've strolled into the Chicago Theatre on Saturday, gone on autopilot and satiated the sold-out audience with a greatest-hits set. A few of his slightly elder peers recently pursued that approach earlier in the month at California's Desert Trip festival, where the price of nostalgia started at a few hundred dollars. For Costello, following such a script would be too easy — and boring.

Rather than conform to predictability, the restless 62-year-old singer continued the innovative streak he's ridden for almost four decades. Digging deep into his back catalog, he revisited a majority of 1982's "Imperial Bedroom" — an album renowned for its ambitious arrangements and stylistic diversity. The London native and his band, the Imposters, wisely ignored the original order and played the material according to mood. They also drew on other originals with similar themes of domestic malaise, deception, sabotage and shame.

Recognizing irony can lend to levity, Costello disguised much of the bitterness and disenchantment in crafty melodies that often framed the words with cheerful settings. Two female backup vocalists helped give songs a more soulful, less orchestrated feel. Stripped of large-scale studio ornamentation, fare such as "… And in Every Home" and "The Long Honeymoon" found their grand sweep downsized to miniature form. In terrific voice, Costello crooned and serenaded, cried and shouted, taking stock of unspeakable relationship ills while unfurling lyrics with encyclopedic depth.

Several song sequences arrived in breathless spurts, including an emotionally vicious "Pidgin English" and "You Little Fool," each goosed with big beats and towering refrains. Many tunes traded pop smoothness for R&B grit and funk simplicity. Costello and company danced outside conventional parameters, reshaping even familiar works.

An extended "Everyday I Write the Book" flirted with disco trappings. Played into a stand-alone microphone, "Alison" came across like a ballad sent up with a Muscle Shoals gospel accent. Instrumental to the success of nearly every song, pianist/keyboardist Steve Nieve reinvigorated "Watching the Detectives" with arch drama that evoked introductory themes to classic television crime dramas.

The noir vibes spilled over to homages to Tin Pan Alley ("Shot With His Own Gun"), torch ("Almost Blue") and baroque classicism (a devastating "This House Is Empty Now"). Costello further challenged himself and the crowd by performing three unreleased showtune-leaning songs, the best of which was "Blood & Hot Sauce," a ragtime on par with Randy Newman's most sardonic compositions.

The evening's lone downfall had nothing to do with the music and everything to do with the horrendous sound. Hollow and imbalanced, it made passages inaudible and detracted from the overall experience.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Sound issues still ??!!!!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

sulky lad wrote:Sound issues still ??!!!!
It seems poor sound is one of the staples of the tour so far...
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
IbMePdErRoIoAmL

Post by IbMePdErRoIoAmL »

verbal gymnastics wrote:
sulky lad wrote:Sound issues still ??!!!!
It seems poor sound is one of the staples of the tour so far...
I get the impression that the touring party is well aware of the sound issues. I spoke with Pete for a few moments after the Akron show & he was very interested in my opinion of the sound. In fact, he introduced the topic with, "How was the sound out there?"
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Seems like someone needs to help with the sound. Hire someone else or bring someone in to assist. I hate to see anyone lose their job, but when fans are paying decent coin and are taking time to show up for the show, it would be nice to make sure the sound is the best it can be - given the room and the music being performed. For some people, it's a real sacrifice to show up - both time & $$. What's up with the sound check? Is the sound guy setting the board properly after sound check? I would be disappointed (as I was a the Detour show in SF. Although I do blame the Masonic as being a non-friendly room for shows) if the sound wasn't in line with my expectations of the artist and the $$. Weak.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Photos by Lori Schwarz