Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis & The Imposters play Akron, OH, October 28th 2016

Post by johnfoyle »

Who's going?
IbMePdErRoIoAmL

Re: Elvis & The Imposters play Akron, OH, October 28th 2016

Post by IbMePdErRoIoAmL »

Lord willin' & the creek don't rise, I'll be there.
IbMePdErRoIoAmL

Since I appear to be the only person attending tonight's show, I'll try to post the setlist once I return to the imperial bedroom.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Thanks...we ALL will appreciate that. Enjoy your night.....so wish I was there, I LOVE AKRON, OHIO, home of the late great Patty Donahue. :cry: :cry:
IbMePdErRoIoAmL

1. The Town Where Time Stood Still
2. The Loved Ones
3. Lipstick Vogue
4. Accidents Will Happen
5. You'll Never Be A Man (an absolutely magnificent performance)
6. You Tripped At Every Step
7. Tears Before Bedtime
8. Moods For Moderns
9. Shabby Doll
10. Green Shirt
11. Human Hands
12. Watching The Detectives
13. The Long Honeymoon
14. Allison
15. Shot With His Own Gun
16. Almost Blue
17. This House Is Empty Now
18. You Little Fool
19. Pidgin English
20. Beyond Belief
21. Man Out Of Time
Encore 1:
22. Town Cryer
23. Everyday I Write The Book
Encore 2:
24. Blood & Hotsauce
25. A Face In The Crowd
26. American Mirror (the band, especially Pete, seemed to be learning this on the fly)
27. Pump It Up
28. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love, And Understanding

That's all folks!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Steven , via Twitter

Spectacular show -- the pacing problems have been ironed out of the set, sadly at the cost of "Seconds Of Pleasure" and "Party Girl." They've also addressed some of the sound issues -- much more of the stunning work Steve is doing is audible, and it'll floor you. Of course, I still lament the way his piano lines get lost on the bridge to "The Loved Ones," but you can't have everything.The big news, I guess, is the addition of "American Mirror" to the set -- it's still very in-progress, but Kitten and YahZarah sound great.On a lighter note: "Almost Blue" found Steve on piano and EC on guitar, which was a lovely change. Perfect in Albany, but great here too.EC was in much improved voice, and seemed to delight in directing the band some on the FITC numbers.He also made clear that the great "Tears Before Bedtime" arrangement is Steve's, with vocal arrangements by Davey.EC, introducing "You'll Never Be A Man": "I thought I was a man, but never really was. I'm still not. I'm still working on that one..."Meanwhile, moving "The Long Honeymoon" was the key to fixing the show's second-half slump. It slots like a dream after "Detectives."EC, linking "Detectives" and "Honeymoon": "That there song was about a girl who was watching a TV show, until a guy is nearly driven out of his mind. I wrote this one about four years later. It's about the same girl.She's still watching that TV show. The guy, he's gone. I think we know who the fool is now..." Last, very silly note: EC has a new purple top hat, busted out for "Blood & Hot Sauce." He doffed it for the "vaseline your pompadour" bit. A sad little tweak has been made to the final verse: "The world that you fear appears much nearer..." It's a weird time in middle America.

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Elvis Costello & the Imposters Performing at the Akron Civic Theatre

http://photos.clevescene.com/elvis-cost ... _dsc3849-2
rightbrain

Post by rightbrain »

Just to amend the previously posted set-list . . . the song " . . . And In Every Home" was also played in Akron.

Cracking good show. Close to 2-and-half-hours. Hit the first note at 8:11pm and hit the last at 10:36pm.

Could just be where I was seated (5th row just left of Center), but the sound was bad at first (could not hear Steve's keyboards at all - such a shame). Elvis was singing behind the beat, flubbing a few lyrics and going off key for the first several numbers.

Alison was definitely under-rehearsed and showed (the beginning was fraught with a wee bit of a "tech" issue with EC's guitar cable, so there was kind of a false start).

But the 2nd half of the show really sizzled. EC's rasp disappeared and he was in suddenly in exceptional voice - especially for the encores. Plus, STEVE'S KEYBOARDS FINALLY APPEARED IN THE MIX! His "solo" on Pidgin English was brilliant (replacing the acoustic guitar on the recorded version). But his show-stopper was the improvised work on Shot With His Own Gun. Incredible - and why he is the best.

EC's own piano playing has come a long way. He seemed really comfortable and less tentative on that trio of songs from A Face In The Crowd. Which were very well received by the crowd, by the way.

LOVED the acoustic guitar on Almost Blue to accent Steve's fine work. EC brought a bit of Spanish color to it, vs. Jazz. Very nice.

Is it heresy to say I still miss Bruce's fret work (especially on Shabby Doll and Human Hands)? But Davey was laying down the appropriate fat grooves everywhere else. It's all good. Bruce just played the bass like a lead instrument and Davey doesn't. Maybe he's not asked to. I'll get over it, I promise.

Other highlights included the re-worked Town Cryer with a new coda at the end (that might have been a lyric snippet from an old cover tune. Anyone?).

Definitely missed Kid About It and Seconds of Pleasure, but at 2-and-a-half hours, you can't have it all, I suppose. Although, if EC would have skipped the lengthy and oft-told tale about Accidents Will Happen, he would have had time for one more song!

A funny moment - during the very dramatic Shot With His Own Gun - exactly after the line "Let's get loaded and forget," (as if on cue), a beer bottle very loudly CLINKS on the concrete floor of the theater, and rolls on the floor. Can't make this stuff up.

I had a bet that EC would play Toledo (just a 2-hour drive from Akron), but This House Is Empty Now was just fine. And EC said after the song, "It's great to see people still enjoy that kind of music. Some say it's dead, but you guys know. You know where to find it."

All in all, a great night (especially for us old "EC Vets" who have seen so many of his concerts over 35+ years in all the various incarnations). To hear You'll Never Be A Man (and obviously all the "deep cuts" from IbMePdErRoIoAmL that rarely get played) was a real treat. EC keeping it fresh after all this time. Amazing! [FULL DISCLOSURE: IbMePdErRoLoAmL is my favorite EC album of all time, so I'm biased.]
IbMePdErRoIoAmL

rightbrain wrote:Just to amend the previously posted set-list . . . the song " . . . And In Every Home" was also played in Akron.
Damn! Of course you're correct. I somehow missed it in my transcription. My bad.