Going. Excited!
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis, 'Detour', Atlanta, GA , October 18th 2016

Post by johnfoyle »

http://music.blog.myajc.com/2016/10/13/ ... w-musical/

Elvis Costello talks Larkin Poe, solo show and new musical

By Melissa Ruggieri

October 13, 2016

Elvis Costello has plenty to talk about — his enjoyment of the intimacy and looseness of his solo show; his appreciation of fans who treasured his memoir “Unfaithful Music & Disappearing Ink” upon its release last year, prompting a paperback run; the musical he’s writing that he hopes will play at least near Broadway, if not on it immediately.

But a topic that prompts an audible lift in his smooth British voice is Larkin Poe, the Atlanta duo of Rebecca and Megan Lovell.

The sisters have opened for Costello — and joined him onstage for a few songs — on several tours, and again will share a musical space with him Tuesday at Cobb Energy Performing Arts Centre, when Costello unwraps his Detour show.

Costello recalled meeting the Lovells about a decade ago — “which seems incredible to say because they’re so young,” he added with a chuckle — when he saw them perform at North Carolina’s MerleFest.

Rebecca and Megan were joined by sister Jessica at the time and the band’s sound concentrated on roots music.

Shortly afterward, Jessica left the band and Rebecca and Megan joined Costello on tour in Europe.

“I remember walking in during their sound check and I said, ‘Who is that playing Lynyrd Skynyrd?’ and it was them rehearsing! They had a completely new style. It was great. I love it,” he said recently, calling from his part-time home in Vancouver.

Costello’s musical romance with the Lovells has extended to recording songs with the New Basement Tapes (a T Bone Burnett-produced group featuring Costello, Jim James and Marcus Mumford, among others) and having the sisters put their haunting harmonies on some of the new tunes for Costello’s musical.

“Touring with Elvis was such an educational and mentoring experience,” Rebecca Lovell said earlier this summer.

It’s a mutual admiration society, to be sure, and Costello, 62, is anticipating his return to Atlanta, which is the final night of this current solo run before he takes off again with his band, the Imposters.

“I’m aware that people buy tickets knowing they’ll hear certain songs, but then I can show people things maybe they don’t know. That way you get a whole evening, the high wire act of it,” he said. “The set, it’s a playground on which we gamble. What I don’t want is a tight script. I might tell the same story leading into a song, but that might lead me to new songs, unreleased songs, covers — all are part of the story. You can’t tell from night to night.”

Costello’s stage is stocked with a piano, ukulele and acoustic and electric guitars. Sometimes he sits down, not because of weariness but, “when you sit, you play differently.” Sometimes he plays his beloved 1977 ballad “Alison” in the audience and, “if the mood takes me, off I’ll go on some stairs.”

He’s been performing in Atlanta since 1977 — in 2015 he played Chastain Park Amphitheatre and swung through the Variety Playhouse on his book release tour — and has an impressive recollection of his area touring history.

“I’ve had great nights at the Tabernacle, played the Fox (Theatre) many years. You’ve got some good addresses there,” he said. “The set that we bring, it’s like redesigning the theater, anyway. It’s lovely to play in beautiful, old theaters with history, but sometimes the venues that don’t yet have that history, it doesn’t really matter. When the lights go down, it’s about you and the audience.”
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Setlist thanks to Vern:

01 Hand in Hand
02 Accidents Will Happen
03 Ascension Day
04 Church Underground
05 Every Day I Write the Book
06 Shot with His Own Gun (EC on piano)
07 No Man's Woman (EC on piano)
08 Deep Dark Truthful Mirror (EC on piano)
09 A Face in the Crowd (EC on piano)
10 Little White Lies
11 Ghost Train
12 Veronica
13 No Particular Place to Go (Chuck Berry cover, after noting that Chuck was celebrating his 90th birthday)
14 Watching the Detectives
15 Alison (off-mike)
16 Blame it on Cain (with Larkin Poe)
17 Nothing Clings Like Ivy (w/ LP)
18 Clown Strike (w/ LP)
19 Burn the Paper Down to Ash (w/ LP, Rebecca on lead vocal)
20 Vitajex (w/ LP)
21 That's Not the Part of Him You're Leaving (w/ LP)
22 Brilliant Mistake (w/ LP)
23 The Last Word (EC on piano, w/ LP)
24 Jimmie Standing in the Rain --> Brother, Can You Spare a Dime (the latter off-mike)
25 Blood and Hot Sauce (EC on piano)
26 I Want You
27 American Mirror (EC on piano, w/ LP)
28 (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love & Understanding (w/ LP)
29 A Good Year for the Roses (w/ LP)
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Elvis Costello gets intimate at Cobb Energy PAC. Photos: Akili-Casundria Ramsess - Eye of Ramsess/Special to the AJC.

http://music.blog.ajc.com/2016/10/19/co ... ts-centre/

Concert review: Elvis Costello, Larkin Poe smolder at Cobb Energy Performing Arts Centre

October 19, 2016

BY MELISSA RUGGIERI

As photos of Elvis Costello as a young man scrolled across the screen of the giant TV set behind him onstage, it quickly became apparent that not much has changed.

His quirkiness and intelligence are still his greatest gifts. The spectacles are still proudly geek-chic. And sure, at 62 there might be a couple of extra pounds on his frame and fewer hairs on his head – just like most of us in the crowd – but the essence of his Elvis-ness is still prominent.

At Cobb Energy Performing Arts Centre on Tuesday, Costello wrapped the latest leg of his solo show, dubbed “Detour.” Joining him, as they have on several tours, was Atlanta’s Larkin Poe, who opened with a scorching 30-minute set (more on them later) and shared the stage with Costello during his encores.

For more than two hours Costello engaged the crowd, which filled about three-quarters of the venue, with rich, vivid stories in between songs spanning his nearly 40-year career.

Standing in the center of a stage filled with kitschy items such as the aforementioned TV set, an “On Air” sign, a mega-sized megaphone, a row of five carefully arranged acoustic guitars and, of course, a lighted “Detour” sign, Costello dove into “Hand in Hand,” “Accidents Will Happen” and, after sharing a sweet anecdote about his longtime friendship with New Orleans legend Allen Toussaint, “Ascension Day.”

With the slight nasal tone to his voice exactly where it should be, Costello strummed intensely through a recalibrated “Everyday I Write the Book” before slipping behind a piano. “I had to borrow it from my wife. I promised to give it back to her undamaged,” he quipped (the wife being jazz pianist-singer Diana Krall).

Costello brought hushed vulnerability to “Shot with His Own Gun” and “Deep Dark Truthful Mirror,” before sharing the title song to the musical he’s working on, “A Face in the Crowd.”

Displaying warmth and gratitude every time he moved around the stage and bowed or smiled at the crowd, Costello managed the ideal balance between humor and pathos as he recalled his father’s career as a singer (“Ghost Train”) and reworked his poppiest hit, “Veronica,” so that its inherent melancholy seeped through the bouncing melody he created with Paul McCartney.

Costello also, well, detoured, to pay tribute to Chuck Berry on his 90th birthday, unfurling a loose electric guitar take on “No Particular Place to Go” before using a looping technique to adrenalize “Watching the Detectives” with a screaming guitar solo.

A highlight of the show was Costello’s performance of “Alison,” performed sans microphone and with only an acoustic guitar as the backdrop. But within moments of crooning its final note, Costello exited the stage and bounced back wearing a purple top hat and flanked by Megan and Rebecca Lovell of Larkin Poe.

The sisters complemented Costello on “Blame it on Cain,” with Megan delivering a stinging lap steel guitar solo, while Rebecca’s blues-rock voice smoldered on “Burn the Paper Down to Ash,” another song from Costello’s musical.

During their 30-minute opening set, the Lovells smeared their Southern gothic vibe over “Tom Devil” and “Hey Sinner,” which dovetailed into a sassy version of “Black Betty.”

Rebecca’s voice is so potent, it matched the stomping of her kick drum. But she and Megan together create a magical, haunting sound.

“Trouble in Mind” showcased their musical prowess and kinetic sisterly connection, while their rendition of “Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down)” defined chilling.

Larkin Poe is no doubt receiving quite a musical education from their time spent with Costello, but he, too, is sharing in something special
blureu

Post by blureu »

It was a fabulous and long show as the review describes. The BS Clothes version of EDIWTB was in full force. You could tell he was having fun playing it. The Chuck Berry cover was a nice surprise. So many highlights. They ended the latest run of Detour on a high note!