Elvis 'Detour', New Orleans, October 15, 2016 with Preservation Hall Jazz Band

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Elvis 'Detour', New Orleans, October 15, 2016 with Preservation Hall Jazz Band

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis 'Detour', New Orleans, October 15, 2016 with Preservation Hall Jazz Band

Post by johnfoyle »

Who's going?
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis 'Detour', New Orleans, October 15, 2016 with Preservation Hall Jazz Band

Post by johnfoyle »

Larkin Poe, f/book

Hat shopping with a true connoisseur in the Big Easy. Thank you, Meyer's! Thank you, Elvis Costello! #detour

Also -

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLmRQiogyEU/
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Photos by Brian

Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

johnfoyle wrote:Image

Larkin Poe, f/book

Hat shopping with a true connoisseur in the Big Easy. Thank you, Meyer's! Thank you, Elvis Costello! #detour

Also -

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLmRQiogyEU/
One of my favorite hat shops-glad to see he also patronizes Meyer's establishment, too.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

SETLIST ???!!!
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/elvis-cos ... d6e86.html

[updated - looks like Walkin' My Baby Back Home was played twice]

Hurry Down Doomsday (The Bugs Are Taking Over)
(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
New Lace Sleeves
Accidents Will Happen
Church Underground
Everyday I Write the Book
Shipbuilding
Deep Dark Truthful Mirror
No Man's Woman
Face in the Crowd
Walkin' My Baby Back Home
Ghost Train
They Call Me Mrs. Lonesome
Veronica
Watching the Detectives
Alison

Encore 1:
Blame It on Cain (with Larkin Poe)
Lost on the River #12 (with Larkin Poe)
Clown Strike (with Larkin Poe)
Burn the Paper Down to Ash (with Larkin Poe)
Vitajex (with Larkin Poe)
That's Not the Part of Him You're Leaving (with Larkin Poe)
Brilliant Mistake (with Larkin Poe)
Sulphur to Sugarcane (with Preservation Hall Jazz Band)
Walkin' My Baby Back Home (with Preservation Hall Jazz Band)
Side By Side (with Preservation Hall Jazz Band)
American Mirror (with Larkin Poe)

Encore 2:
(Unknown)

Encore 3:
Blood & Hot Sauce
(What's So Funny 'bout) Peace, Love and Understanding (with Preservation Hall Jazz Band)
Last edited by docinwestchester on Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
stricttime81

Post by stricttime81 »

Too bad EC has to share a marquee with the awful Sarah Silverman, lol
AKA: Mike the Lawyer
CraigatCoF

Post by CraigatCoF »

Hey guys, sorry for not posting it sooner, thought someone else would. But here's the correct setlist. The earlier one on Setlist was about half right, I've corrected now, just need to add some of the other info (with Larkin Poe, at piano, etc.). It was an incredible show, and Pres Hall band took it to another level. Had a blast! And after Houston and New Orleans, Larkin Poe have a new fan.

Start 8:20

Hurry Down Doomsday (The Bugs Are Taking Over)
New Lace Sleeves
Accidents Will Happen
Poison Moon
Ascension Day
Everyday I Write the Book
Shot With His Own Gun on piano
No Man's Woman on piano
Face in the Crowd on piano
Veronica
Watching the Detectives
Alison [off mic]

1st encore
Blame It on Cain with Larkin Poe
Nothing Clings Like Ivy with Larkin Poe
Clown Strike with Larkin Poe
Burn the Paper Down to Ash with Larkin Poe, Rebecca on vocals
Vitajex with Larkin Poe
That's Not the Part of Him You're Leaving with Larkin Poe
Sulphur to Sugarcane with Larkin Poe & Preservation Hall Jazz Band
Walkin' My Baby Back Home with Preservation Hall Jazz Band
Deep Dark Truthful Mirror with Preservation Hall Jazz Band
Side By Side with Preservation Hall Jazz Band (done as a sort of funeral dirge)
American Mirror with Larkin Poe & Preservation Hall Jazz Band, EC on piano

2nd encore
I Want You

3rd encore
Blood & Hot Sauce on piano
(I Don't Want to Go to) Chelsea
Down on the Bottom with Larkin Poe
(What's So Funny 'bout) Peace, Love and Understanding with Larkin Poe & Preservation Hall Jazz Band

End 10:52
Last edited by CraigatCoF on Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Thanks Craig, nice to get a clear idea of what the band played with EC :o
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Walking My Baby Back Home (with Preservation Hall Jazz Band): https://youtu.be/WIkqutH5klg
Midnight Preserves - EC and the Preservation Hall Jazz Band - seems like the Jazzfest night gig was filmed: https://youtu.be/aQChAp3hXlk
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Wearing a purple top hat and swinging a silver knobbed cane, Costello sang the 1927 ditty 'Side By Side' (Illustration by Doug MacCash / NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune from a 2010 photo by David Grunfeld)

http://www.nola.com/music/index.ssf/201 ... s_det.html

Elvis Costello: 10 top tunes from his New Orleans 'Detour' show

The Times-Picayune

By Doug MacCash

October 17, 2016 at 7:00

Elvis Costello's largely solo "Detour" show at the Saenger Theatre Saturday night (Oct. 15) was an unadulterated dose of the British singer/songwriter's bittersweet tonic. Here are 10 of the most memorable moments from a concert that fans will look back on fondly.

Accidents Will Happen

An impish raconteur, Costello introduced his 1979 anthem about "hit and run" love by recalling his early days on the aspiring rock star circuit. He stayed at Howard Johnson motels that featured "hot and cold running chowder" and planned to run away to Mexico with a female taxi driver, until it became clear that control of the radio would doom their relationship. She preferred Pink Floyd, while he favored the Buzzcocks.

New Lace Sleeves

"Nothing I sing tonight will be satirical," Costello cooed sarcastically before launching into his smoldering 1981 ballad about a romance built on dishonesty that, 35 years later, seemed to take on American political implications.

"Even presidents have newspaper lovers," he sang. "Ministers go crawling under covers. She's no angel and he's no saint. They're all covered up with whitewash and grease paint. And you say, 'the teacher never taught you anything about white lies.'"

Costello did not confine himself to bipartisan commentary. As the night went on, he made jokes at the expense of presidential candidate Donald Trump, disingenuously expressing hope that he had not offended audience members.

"I'm so sorry, it just slipped out," he said after one Trump–targeted joke.

Alison

About midway through the long show (which lasted from 7:30 to 11-ish, counting the opening act), Costello sized up the glorious antique interior of the Saenger and declared that the acoustics would permit him to sing without a microphone. As the audience did its best to cooperate with quietude, the 62-year-old rocker sang an achingly fragile version of his regret-filled 1977 love song.

Hats off to the audio crew. The sounds of Costello's many acoustic guitars and piano, as well as his vocals, were marvelously clear in the old, ornate movie house, allowing him to serve up his complicated lyrics with what he might have called high fidelity. Which was especially important since he performed several new compositions.

Blood and Hot Sauce

Costello is said to be completing a presumably Broadway-bound musical drama based on a 1950s short story and movie. Seated at the piano, he sang the compelling lyrics of the title song "A Face in the Crowd," which spelled out the phenomenon of a fictional populist leader swaying the opinions of an unfulfilled population (or so one might surmise). He played two or three other tunes from the upcoming musical, including a song about a scandal magazine, and a tune titled "Blood and Hot Sauce," with dense lyrics that seemed more serious than the whimsical title suggests.

If I Had A Hammer

Several themes were in play on Saturday. Costello's "Detour" show was an intimate recitation of old hits, an introduction of a suite of new songs, and a set of anecdotes and images related to his recent autobiography "Unfaithful Music and Disappearing Ink." Old photos and videos appeared on a huge antique television prop at the back of the stage, accompanying the music. The best was a video of Costello's father, musician Ross McManus, doing a marimba version of the protest song "If I Had A Hammer." The marvelous thing was how much he looked and acted like E.C.

Down on the Bottom

"I never thought I'd say this," Costello said laughing, "but I want to play a song now, the words of which were written by a Nobel laureate." He then played a composition he'd written to accompany lyrics by Bob Dylan, who, days before, was awarded the 2016 Nobel Prize in literature.

Blame it on Cain

Though Costello was on his own for the fist half of the show, at the mid-point he was joined by Larkin Poe, an Atlanta-based country rock duo that had been the opening act. Rebecca Lovell accompanied Costello on mandolin and vocals while her sister Megan Lovell played lap steel. The two young women had the chops to give songs like "Blame it on Cain" the requisite rockabilly punch.

Ascension Day

Costello, who visits New Orleans frequently, reiterated his admiration and affection for the late Allen Toussaint, with whom he wrote a suite of post-Katrina-themed songs including the haunting "Ascension Day." Sometimes he was so insecure in Toussaint's presence that he found himself smiling and mumbling inanities like David Niven. The trick to successfully mastering a Toussaint composition, Costello self-effacingly said, is to first remove all the difficult chords.

Watching the Detectives

The only time Costello strapped on an electric guitar was to play a jagged version of the existential 1977 classic "Watching the Detectives." As Costello gleefully scrubbed the strings like a washboard and sang the menacing lyrics, the covers of pulp detective novels were projected on the big TV screen behind him. The best of the batch was a title that may have been a joke: "The Murderer Plays a Ukulele."

Costello himself played ukulele during a sprightly new song about the uplifting effects of pep pills.

Side by Side

Wearing a purple top hat and swinging a silver knobbed cane, Costello sang the 1927 ditty "Side By Side" (coincidentally written the year the Saenger Theatre was built). Normally performed as an optimistic jaunt, Costello sang it as an ironic dirge. As promised, the core members of the Preservation Hall Jazz Band joined Costello for several songs near the end of the show, lending Crescent City-style brass and percussion to the mix.

Note: Because of unusual photograph ownership requirements stipulated by Costello's management, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune was unable to take photos at Saturday's show.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I shared that note about photography with Brian , my friend who got the pictures earlier in this thread. 'EC gave me the thumbs up! ' was his response.

That doesn't seem to have arisen at other, recent shows. I wonder it it had something to do with the addition of The Preservation Hall Band?