Elvis, 'Detour', Overland, KS , October 7th 2016

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis, 'Detour', Overland, KS , October 7th 2016

Post by johnfoyle »

Who's going ?

First time in Kansas since 1984!

Little is known about that outing on the Good Bye Cruel World tour. The ECIS (fanzine) coverage of the time consisted of this photo.

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... ansas_City

Elvis has , of course , played more regularly in the Kansas city in Missouri -

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... ansas_City
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis, 'Detour', Overland, KS , October 7th 2016

Post by johnfoyle »

Paul on f/book -

John, I live in Kansas and as far as I'm concerned, all that separates Kansas City, Kansas and Kansas City, Missouri is State Line Road. The current segment of the never-ending Detour tour - so appropriately named - hits both a suburb of Kansas City, KS (Overland Park) as well as the largest city in Kansas - Wichita.

Being a EC fan has , over the years, been a geography lesson !
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Bob Creek‎ to costello-l / f/book -

Kansas City Setlist
I would have to say that's the single worst crowd I've ever been a part of. The woman next to me (a five-song-into-the-set latecomer) tugged on the shirt of the man standing in front of her during encore and demanded he sit down. I saw usher approach my superfan tailgate couple (front row left) and ask them to sit after complaints from people behind. Still, EC gave his all, was in excellent voice, and a couple of songs shone through brightly (noted w !) although the Detour shows are becoming to me like a favorite movie you've seen enough of for now. Bring on the band!
(Elvis All in black, sans hat, bandaid on right thumb)
New Amsterdam
Poison Moon (!)
Accidents
They're not laughing at me now
(Bandaid removed and hurled behind him)
All this useless beauty
Everyday I write the book
(Walks to piano, removes jacket)
Shipbuilding (!)
DDT Mirror
No Man's Woman Now
Face in the crowd
(Walks to megaphone chair - white hat donned)
Little White Lies
(White hat hurled in air toward piano where guitar tech collects it)
(Puts on neck harmonica-painful noise imminent)
American WO Tears (! Harmonica bleating nonwithstanding)
(Electric guitar)
Detectives
Alison (off mic entirely and walks around lower bowl)
Exit - Ross video of Hammer - still a highlight
(Girls back on stage)
(Elvis in vertically-striped longcoat)
Blame it on Cain
Nothing Clings Like Ivy (!)
Clownstrike
(Ukulele)
Vitajets
That's Not the part of him you're leaving (!)
American Mirror
(Exit)
(2nd encore)
Red shoes
Jimmie standing in the rain
(To piano)
Side by side
Blood and hot sauce
(Exit)
(3rd encore w a "c'mon girls" to bring girls out)
Brilliant Mistake (!)
Down on the Bottom
PLU
(False exit, group mic Josephine brought out)
Good Year For the Roses (w girls on same mic) (!)
End 10:08
Lang

Via Twitter

https://twitter.com/stephawilken/status ... 0698417156

https://twitter.com/stephawilken/status ... 0698417156

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLSbRd8DRLb/
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

The written setlist has also "Burn The Paper Down To Ash".
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.kansascity.com/entertainment ... 42097.html

At Yardley Hall, Elvis Costello proves he’s one of the most prolific songwriters

He has been considered one of the best and most prolific songwriters of the past 50 years, and Friday night inside Yardley Hall on the campus of Johnson County Community College, Elvis Costello proved why.

For more than two hours, Costello took a crowd of more than 1,000 on a warm journey through a catalog that goes back to the mid-1970s and taps into an array of genres.

Like Ray Davies’ fabled “Storytellers” tour, this was a one-man show that revisited Costello’s childhood and included tales and images of the people and places who inspired and influenced him, including footage of his bandleader father, Ross McManus, performing “If I Had a Hammer” at a 1963 Royal Command Performance.

As it was for his show at the Uptown Theater in March 2015, the stage was set with a large ’60s-style television set/video screen flanked by a “Detour” and “On Air” signs. The stage was also set with a large megaphone, which he uses as a prop a couple of times.

From a piano or acoustic guitar, Costello delivered a set list that mined some of his lesser-known work, plus several songs he wrote for the musical “A Face in the Crowd,” which is expected to premiere in 2017. On one of those songs, the smoldering ballad “Burn the Paper Down to Ash,” Costello turned lead vocal duties over to Rebecca Lovell, one-half of the sisterly roots/rock duo Larkin Poe, the evening’s openers. Throughout the show, she, on mandolin, and her sister, Megan Lovell, on dobro, gave Costello vocal and instrumental backup, as they did on another “Face” song, “Vitajex,” a mock commercial for pep pills that featured Costello on ukelele.

The sisters embellished reworkings of several tracks, including “That’s Not the Part of Him You’re Leaving,” a lovely, melancholy ballad — “a cautionary tale,” he said — about a couple at a crossroads: His interests are more about the flesh, hers about the heart.

Costello recast many of his songs, stripping them bare and applying new wardrobes and cosmetics but without disfiguring or camouflaging them. Each further revealed his trademark clever and thoughtful chord progressions and melodies and accentuated his incisive lyrics, which assiduously avoid predictability and cliché.

“Every Day I Write the Book” was flipped from its buoyant pop sensibility into a darker folk-ish ballad. They turned “(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes” into a ’60s-ish pop-folk tune, one with a mild Everly Brothers flavor.

As the TV screen behind him flashed images of pulp-crime-film posters, including “Kansas City Confidential,” Costello delivered an electrified version of “Watching the Detectives” that was more urgent and frenzied than the original.

He followed that with one of his classics, “Alison,” which he performed unamplified, strolling through the crowd, eventually taking perch in an empty seat, strumming an acoustic guitar and singing as if he were on a porch swing, serenading the neighborhood.

Other highlights: His cover of the Walter Donaldson nugget “Little White Lies”; “Brilliant Mistake” from the classic “King of America”; “Down on the Bottom,” one of Costello’s contributions to the “New Basement Tapes” compilation; and “American Without Tears,” featuring Costello on blues harp, which gave the song a Dylan-ish vibe.

Costello’s voice is elemental to his music, another inimitable trait. It remains strong and full of character, though these days its cracks and warps are a bit deeper and warp-ier. His instrumental prowess was on display as well, whether issuing commanding rhythms and leads on one of his many guitars or percussive blues or jazz rhythms and fills at the piano.

His encore included a demonstrative version of “(What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love & Understanding,” a rabble-rousing anthem that has resonated for more than 30 years but never more resoundingly than it does these days.

He followed that with a couple more songs, including his version of the country classic “Good Year for the Roses,” a track from “Almost Blue,” his tribute to classic country.

By the time he’d ended and taken a bow, Costello had been on stage for nearly 140 minutes, but the crowd appealed loudly for more. He looked like he was considering it before he waved his final farewell. Lord knows he had enough good material to go on all night.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »