johnfoyle

Elvis, 'Detour', Cedar Rapids, IA, October 3 2016

Post by johnfoyle »

Who's going?
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis, 'Detour', Cedar Rapids, IA, October 3 2016

Post by johnfoyle »

Anyone?

Elvis plays Cedar Rapids tomorrow - he'll do his best, I daresay , to top the show on there tonight!

http://www.paramounttheatrecr.com/Event ... -Tour.aspx

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Via

https://twitter.com/ecsongbysong

Cedar Rapids, Oct. 3rd

1. Red Shoes
2. I Can’t Turn It Off
3. Accidents Will Happen
4. Just Like A Jukebox
5. Church Underground
6. River In Reverse
7. Everyday I Write The Book
8. Shipbuilding
9. Deep Dark Truthful Mirror
10. No Man’s Woman
11. Face In The Crowd
12. Walkin' My Baby
13. American Without Tears
14, Ghost Train
15. Watching The Detectives
16. Alison (off-mic)
17. Blame It On Cain
18. Nothing Clings Like Ivy
19. Clown Strike
20. Burn The Paper The The Ground
21. Vitajex
22, Not The Part Of Him Your Leaving
23. ( Whats So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding
24. Jimmie Standing In The Rain
25. American Mirror

"No Man's Woman," played on piano, is another new "Face In The Crowd" song -- on first listen, it might be the best one we've heard yet. Downtempo and sung, I think, by Marcia -- "it's one of the tender songs from the show," EC commented -- it's a beautiful number."I sing a lot of songs about travel and exile," EC said. "This song is about a woman who comes from somewhere out east and she comes to Cedar Rapids, and makes a new life."

"I'm no man's woman now/ I'm not some little girl / who thinks of fireflies and starlight and doesn't know how love should feel/I came out to this town/ to find a new career/ or just another kind of whirlwind than the one that blew me here/If I go, I'll be wandering in the wilderness/ I daren't say what he wants, I've got an educated guess... I'm no man's woman now."
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The show was under threat -

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/news/ ... r-20161002

(extract)

It’s business as usual at the Paramount Theatre in downtown Cedar Rapids, after a most unusual 10 days.

A flurry of activity secured the historic building ahead of last week’s flood and a flurry of activity put it back together in time for Celtic Thunder to storm the stage Sunday (Oct. 2nd) evening.

“Tonight is very special,” performer Ryan Kelly told the enthusiastic crowd that filled most of the main floor and spread into the balconies. “A few days ago we weren’t sure we’d be able to put on the show. This just proves the resilience of this great city. ... Thank you so much to all the people who helped. We’re going to make this very special and celebrate with a big Irish and Celtic music night.”

Reassembling 880 mainfloor seats and readying the auditorium took about one-third the estimated time, said Jason Anderson, the Paramount’s general manager. Everything was done in one nine-hour day, rather than the projected three 10-hour days. So with other setup and cleaning tasks, he said the total was “three days out and three days in.”

“We’re all good — no hiccups,” he said, adding the basement still has a bit of seepage, but the women’s restrooms were operational on the lower level. The only lingering effects he expects to see is sand.

“We’ll have sand tracked in for months, but that’s no different than in the winter months,” he noted.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

johnfoyle wrote:"This song is about a woman who comes from somewhere out east and she comes to Cedar Rapids, and makes a new life."
I suspect where the woman comes from will change every night...
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

johnfoyle wrote:
"No Man's Woman," played on piano, is another new "Face In The Crowd" song -- on first listen, it might be the best one we've heard yet. Downtempo and sung, I think, by Marcia -- "it's one of the tender songs from the show," EC commented -- it's a beautiful number."I sing a lot of songs about travel and exile," EC said. "This song is about a woman who comes from somewhere out east and she comes to Cedar Rapids, and makes a new life."
"No Man's Woman" might be the best one yet? Even better than A Face In The Crowd, This Uneasy Hour, Burn The Paper Down To Ash, Blood and Hot Sauce, American Mirror,...? That's fantastic!

Just Like A Jukebox is a song from 1975: http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... _A_Jukebox
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
blureu

Post by blureu »

Have we seen the harmonica used previously?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Some screengrabs from that video-

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Pam , via f/book -

Tix were still available - some empty seats around us. Might have been too pricey for the area on a Monday night, plus the venue was just very nearly flooded out! Supportive crowd but a lot of sitting and listening quietly. Lots of love for the older songs.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

blureu wrote:

Have we seen the harmonica used previously?

There are a few other harmonica appearances mentioned on the wiki site, and I doubt it's a complete list.

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... -28_Sydney
http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... inneapolis
http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... ansas_City
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://littlevillagemag.com/elvis-coste ... ar-rapids/

Elvis Costello rocks the Paramount in Cedar Rapids

By Kent Williams

Oct 4, 2016

The world’s oldest enfant terrible, Elvis Costello, performed a long-overdue (for his Iowa fans) concert Oct. 3 at the Paramount Theater in Cedar Rapids. The audience was mostly — like Costello — angry young punks gone grey and sedate, but Costello was equal to the difficult task of staying fresh and relevant. Costello charmed and challenged the audience with both old and new songs. Even his oldest hits gained vitality and currency in his solo performance; rather than rote repetition of former glories, they had the wry wistfulness of a 62-year-old composer reflecting on his remarkable, anything-but-misspent youth.

Before the show began, a giant television behind him played music videos from his early career. Older performers can dread having to compete with their younger selves, but Costello was unfazed; with a back catalog as deep as his he could easily perform for 2 hours without playing any of the songs in the videos. He may not race around the stage and flail his arms as much as he did 30 years ago, but he still pours tremendous energy into his work, and his voice remains one of the great pop instruments of the last 50 years.

While Costello played, the giant television displayed a slideshow of pictures of the young Costello and his family. Between songs he told anecdotes from his life, focusing affectionately on his father, Ross McManus, a singer and trumpeter who toured England relentlessly in the 1950s and ’60s. During a short break before bringing out the opening act Larkin Poe to accompany him for several songs, he played the remarkable video of Ross singing the folk song “If I Had A Hammer” as a Latin rave-up.

He performed several songs from his first album, My Aim Is True — most remarkably the title song, for which he stepped away from microphones and projected his voice, unamplified, into the Paramount’s vaudeville-era hall. “Nothing Clings Like Ivy,” from his 2004 album The Delivery Man, also stood out, enhanced by harmonies and lap steel guitar by the opening group, the two sisters of Larkin Poe. The gentle melody belies a lyric full of conflict and sadness, reflecting Costello’s perennial obsession with love and it’s cruelties.

A simpler moment of fun was “Watching the Detectives,” driven by Costello’s unruly, distorted guitar. The fire of his younger self came across most strongly on “Detectives,” reminiscent of Neil Young’s fascination with guitar noise. Most challenging and interesting were new songs he’s writing for a musical version of A Face In The Crowd, which tells the story of a country singer who becomes a fascist political demagogue. Any question of Costello’s continuing relevance was put to rest by these songs, commenting as they did on the rise of a right-wing crap artist we’re currently enduring.

A Face in the Crowd pulls together the themes that have driven Costello since he started: innocence and the loss of it, heartbreak and betrayal, the toxicity of cynicism. His performance in Cedar Rapids shows that he’s still an irrepressible trouper and troubadour who lives to trod the boards. Even as he looks back fondly on his career, he is following the advice of his fellow Irishman Dylan Thomas, and refusing to go gentle into that good night.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Aside from the obvious title track song comment, I think there will be plenty of people stunned to find out Dylan Thomas was Irish :shock:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

VG wrote
Aside from the obvious title track song comment, I think there will be plenty of people stunned to find out Dylan Thomas was Irish :shock:
Which explains why he was drunk so often - obviously homesick !!
Posted by David from Dundalk !