Paul McCartney: Flowers In The Dirt Archive Collection

Pretty self-explanatory
The Gentleman

Paul McCartney: Flowers In The Dirt Archive Collection

Post by The Gentleman »

https://twitter.com/wogew/status/644922992481443840

The most likely place for some/all of the McCartney/MacManus demos to finally be released. With all the comments EC has made about wanting to see them issued, I strongly doubt he'll present any obstacles to them being included. Though I think it's possible at least some of they may be held back for a potential Off The Ground Archive Collection.
sweetest punch

Re: Paul McCartney: Flowers In The Dirt Archive Collection

Post by sweetest punch »

This is great news!
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

http://www.israbox.info/1146590700-paul ... -2015.html

Wow FOUR discs with Number THREE being very Elvis heavy...loads of demos: 25 fingers!!! Let's hope the entire disc three features EC and Sir playing around with some classic too in the studio
Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif »

bronxapostle wrote:http://www.israbox.info/1146590700-paul ... -2015.html

Wow FOUR discs with Number THREE being very Elvis heavy...loads of demos: 25 fingers!!! Let's hope the entire disc three features EC and Sir playing around with some classic too in the studio
That's a bootleg.

It shows the potential of this era, but I doubt the new McCartney Archive collection will suddenly become this generous?! :wink:
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Ymaginatif wrote:

That's a bootleg.

It shows the potential of this era, but I doubt the new McCartney Archive collection will suddenly become this generous?! :wink:
Forgive me my PRINCE brother...a quick Google search this morning got me this, so I hurriedly excitedly shared it. Sorry for my error and if I got some over excited. The archive releases are usually TWO c.d.s.??? Thanks, ba
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I guess we'll just have to be patient... :wink:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

This is being discussed on the Steve Hoffman Forum: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/p ... on.465078/

People there are a bit underwhelmed by the Archive Collections. They contain mostly already released B- sides and outtakes. Beautifully packaged, but hardly any surprises for the fans.

Hopefully the McCartney/MacManus demo's will be included. It seems they recorded more songs from that collaboration:

There must be a few unreleased songs from the FITD sessions. Do we know some of the titles?
During the recordings with Costello in January 1988 they also taped:
- “The Lovers That Never Were”
- "Wish You Were Mine" (Twenty Fine Fingers)
- "So Like Candy”
- “I Don’t Want to Confess”.

There is also talk about a version of The Lovers That Never Were with an arrangement of Clare Ficher.

Expected releasedate: fall 2016
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif »

bronxapostle wrote:
Ymaginatif wrote:

That's a bootleg.

Forgive me my PRINCE brother...a quick Google search this morning got me this, so I hurriedly excitedly shared it. Sorry for my error and if I got some over excited. The archive releases are usually TWO c.d.s.??? Thanks, ba
Sorry, my apostolic brother, didn't want to sound blunt or anything :D

The McCartney archive rereleases are indeed a bit controversial, indeed they favour form and presentation over (musical) contents. Usually one short album of extra songs (demos and B-sides). 10 to 12 songs, adding up to around half an hour. Another disc with an alternative mix of the album. A brief DVD. But a lavish book with inserts and facsimiles. I like the product.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Article about the McCartney / Costello collaboration: http://www.elviscostello.com/news/when- ... -elvis/784 or http://culturesonar.com/when-a-beatle-wrote-with-elvis/

When a Beatle Wrote with Elvis

Culture Sonar: Scott Freiman: December 5th 2015

In 1987, Paul McCartney acted on a suggestion by his then manager and invited Elvis Costello to be his songwriting partner. Their work together would produce a number of finely crafted songs, including Elvis’ biggest single in the U.S. and McCartney’s last top 40 hit.

Elvis Costello had burst upon the scene with 1977’s My Aim Is True — three-minute pop songs filled with all the rage and sexual frustration of punk set against the instantly hummable melodies of the Beatles and the Kinks. After a string of hits, Elvis’s chart success was waning. His most recent albums, King Of America and Blood and Chocolate, had failed to generate any hit singles.

Paul McCartney had managed to survive the break up of the Beatles with a series of successful singles and albums, both as a solo artist and with his post-Beatles band Wings. Judging by record sales, he was easily the world’s most successful songwriter. In 1982, McCartney had released the critically acclaimed Tug Of War, but this had been followed by a string of critically panned and less successful albums, none of which had cracked the top 10 in the U.S.

Long before he became Elvis Costello, the young Declan MacManus had bought his first record, the Beatles’ Please Please Me. Nearly 25 years later, he was sitting next to Paul McCartney writing songs that would later appear on Costello’s Spike and Mighty Like A Rose, as well as McCartney’s Flowers In The Dirt and Off The Ground.

In Costello, McCartney found a songwriting partner like he hadn’t had since John Lennon. Like Lennon, Costello had the knack of writing biting lyrics, but always with a sense of humor. In his own lyrics, McCartney was often lacking Lennon’s voice – the one that would tell him “That’s shite [shit]!” and force him to do better. He would do some of his best lyric writing with Costello.

Costello had McCartney’s love of Broadway and jazz that had come from their musician fathers. (In fact, Costello’s father had performed "If I Had A Hammer" on the 1963 Royal Variety Show where Lennon had made his famous “rattle your jewelry” comment.) If Costello forced McCartney to focus more on his lyrics, McCartney influenced Costello’s melodies and arrangements. The two were natural collaborators.

Paul arrived at the sessions with a song that he had almost finished, "Back On My Feet", a song that was ultimately released by McCartney as the B-side to “Once Upon A Long Ago”. It’s a better song than the A-side, a movie script disguised as a rocker. It describes a homeless man “going under” who sings “I don’t need love (though temptation is sweet)” against guitar power chords. He’s been tossed aside by a lover and spends his days “screaming at the sky”. McCartney/MacManus help the listener visualize the film:

Cut back again to a girl walking by
Until the feet that are all shoes and no socks
Climb an invisible soap box
Laughing at the traffic
Shouting at the world

By the bridge, the sunny McCartney comes to the front as the man decides to “… stand up again, kick up a fuss again”. But an unseen presence (Costello?) voices some doubt (“He’s a case where there’s clearly no hope”). As the movie ends…

His face starts to fade
As we pull down the shade
And the picture we made
Is in glorious Cinemascope

"You Want Her Too" (a song that appeared on Flowers In The Dirt) is a duet sung by McCartney and Costello. It presents the same idea as “The Girl Is Mine”, the song McCartney wrote and sang with his last collaborator, Michael Jackson – two rivals competing for the same woman. Unlike the cringe worthy lyrics of the latter song (“the doggone girl is mine”), “You Want Her Too” lyrics present a more complex and nuanced relationship between the three parties. “You Want Her Too” waltzes along as the singers express their ambivalence towards the woman in question as they sing to each other…

She makes me do things I don’t want to do,
I don’t know why I should be telling you.

Listening to the demo of the song, you can almost hear the fun that Costello and McCartney were having as they traded barbs and strummed their acoustic guitars. “She makes me go so wrong”, sings McCartney. “So, why don’t you lie back and enjoy it?” Costello shoots back. By the time the song lands on Flowers In The Dirt, the song’s arrangement has been fleshed out to conjure up the whirling of a carousel as if the two rivals are circling around each other ready to land a punch.

The two big singles to come out of the pair’s songwriting sessions were “Veronica” and “My Brave Face”. Costello contributed “Veronica” at their initial meeting. It was a song about his grandmother’s failing memory, too personal for Costello to accept all but a few lyrical suggestions from McCartney. Yet, it owes a strong debt to McCartney songs like “Eleanor Rigby” where an unseen observer describes a depressed character with just enough backstory to make her intriguing. Eleanor Rigby had picked up the rice in the church after weddings. In Veronica’s case, she sits in her easy chair “[picking] upon the bones of last week’s news” and dreaming of an old lover:

A young man sailed
On a ship in the sea
With a picture of Veronica

On the hit single, a centerpiece of Costello’s album Spike, the song is superbly arranged with glockenspiel, Chamberlin trumpet and strings, and a great bass part by McCartney, who was convinced by Costello to resurrect his famous Höfner violin bass.

Like the protagonist in “Back On My Feet”, the singer of "My Brave Face" has also lost his girl. But instead of drowning his sorrows in the bottle, he’s been “hitting the town”. He seems to be relishing his new found freedom (“Now, I don’t have to tell anybody/When I’m going to get back”). He’s not accustomed to “the work of a housewife”, so he just breaks up his dirty dishes and throws them away.

And yet, things are not as great as they seem. The tone of the song changes after the second verse to reveal what’s really beneath his “brave face”:

Ever since you left
I have been trying to compose
A ‘baby please come home’ note meant for you.
As I clear away
Another untouched T.V. dinner
From the table I laid for two.

By the chorus, Paul has reached desperation, his voice hitting with full power as his brave face melts completely:

Now that I’m alone again
I can’t stop breaking down again
The simplest things set me off again

Like the other McCartney/MacManus songs, the catchy melody and arrangement offsets the sadness in the lyrics, whether it’s the “My Brave Face” singer slowly breaking down his veneer or Veronica’s memory drifting off to sea. You can find it in “Mistress and Maid” (from Off The Ground) as the unfulfilled wife wants to shout at her husband “Look at me/I’m afraid/See what it’s come to”. Or the singer of “So Like Candy” (from Mighty Like A Rose) looking at pictures of his lost love: “I remember the day/That picture was taken/We were so happy then.”

“Veronica” was released in February of 1989 and became the biggest single of Costello’s career. “My Brave Face” hit the airwaves in May of 1989. Its tight harmonies complete with major sixth chords harkened back to the Beatles, helping it to become McCartney’s last top 40 single. (He would hit the charts again in 2014 with a guest appearance on Kanye West’s “Only One.”)

McCartney and Costello wrote a total of twelve songs together, including “Pads, Paws, and Claws” (from Spike), “Playboy To A Man” (from Mighty Like A Rose), “The Lovers That Never Were” (from Off The Ground), “Don’t Be Careless Love” (from Flowers In The Dirt), and “That Day Is Done” (from Flowers In The Dirt). In fact, it’s the last song that gives the album it’s title – “She sprinkles flowers in the dirt/That’s when a thrill becomes a hurt.”

McCartney never again found a collaborator as good as Costello. Costello has continued to write with collaborators, including Burt Bacharach, The Roots, Allen Toussaint, and The Brodsky Quartet. But these collaborations never achieved the success of the songs he wrote with McCartney.

Will there ever be another McCartney/Costello collaboration? About 13 years ago, McCartney and Costello met up again. McCartney wrote out identical to-do lists for the two of them –

1. Listen to demos.
2. Edit and add to demos.
3. Write more songs.
4. Record more songs.
5. Release those songs.

McCartney then tucked his list in a book on the shelf of his office without another word. Costello did the same when he got home, but he claims to have forgotten which book he put it in.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

sweetest punch wrote:McCartney then tucked his list in a book on the shelf of his office without another word. Costello did the same when he got home, but he claims to have forgotten which book he put it in.
Does it really matter which book he put it in? That list has been so well documented.

Just do it already!
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

From this thread: http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... f=2&t=9622

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/art ... -cant-see/

(...)
I’d never been to these awards, but as soon as they started, I realized they were different. Costello, as if whispering to a friend, revealed that there are 20 songs he has written with Burt Bacharach that he’s yet to record or even publish. Oh, and just this week he got a copy of a newly discovered demo he wrote with Paul McCartney in the late ‘80s.
(...)

It seems like Paul McCartney is working on the "Flowers In The Dirt Archive Collection"!
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zinnMZZ17I

Elvis says this at 6:36
" I have always believed that there is more time and that you must hold your nerve and wait for your moment.
Just this morning I was sent an newly discovered cassette demo recording of a fifteenth song, co-written 25 years ago with Paul McCartney, that we both assumed had been lost. And it's pretty good too."

Elvis says one has to wait for his moment and right after that he starts talking about his collaboration with Paul McCartney. Will this collaboration finally get what it deserves? A major release with all the demos and studio recordings?

These are the 15 songs with Paul that we know ( http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... _McCartney ):

01. Back On My Feet   (1987, b-side of Once Upon A Long Ago)
02. My Brave Face   (1989, Flowers In The Dirt)
03. You Want Her Too   (1989, Flowers In The Dirt)
04. Don't Be Careless Love   (1989, Flowers In The Dirt)
05. That Day Is Done   (1989, Flowers In The Dirt - McCartney version) and (1997, I Couldn't Hear Nobody Pray - Costello / Fairfield Four version)
06. Pads, Paws And Claws   (1989, Spike)
07. Veronica   (1989, Spike)
08. So Like Candy   (1991, Mighty Like A Rose)
09. Playboy To A Man   (1991, Mighty Like A Rose)
10. Mistress And Maid   (1993, Off The Ground - McCartney version) and (2001, All This Useless Beauty (Deluxe Edition) - Costello demo)
11. The Lovers That Never Were   (1993, Off The Ground)
12. Shallow Grave   (1996, All This Useless Beauty)
13. Tommy's Coming Home   (unreleased)   (1998, McCartney / MacManus Collaboration bootleg)
14. Twenty-Five Fingers   (unreleased)   (1998, McCartney / MacManus Collaboration bootleg)
15. I Don't Want To Confess   (unreleased)

I Don't Want To Confess was never released or bootlegged. So, this could be the newly discovered demo.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Number 14 is widely assumed to be called Twenty-Five Fingers when it is Twenty Fine Fingers.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

New interview with Paul McCartney includes:

Q: I want to get to this new compilation you put out, “Pure McCartney.” What I like is that it feels like a mix tape.

A: That was the original thought. It was like a playlist. The ideal thing is if you’ve got a three-hour car journey and you’ve got the perfect thing to listen to, he said modestly.

Q: How involved did you get in the song selection?

A: To tell you the truth, this was an idea that was put to me by one of my girls in my New York office, who I respect and is sort of a great music fan and connoisseur. She said, I’ve been listening and putting together playlists and I think it would be great to do this. So she came up with the first playlist. Then I got involved.

Q: What’s her name?

A: Her name is Nancy Jeffries.

Q: I want to lodge just one complaint with Nancy Jeffries. “Flowers in the Dirt.” I could go on and on about what’s wonderful about that album. And there’s not a song from it.

A: You know why, because it’s about to be reissued. It’s our next big box set. We’re working on that at the moment. So she would avoid that.

Q: Will it be released in its entirety? There are all those songs you wrote and recorded with Elvis Costello, many of them not officially released.

A: That’s one of the real exciting things. Those demos. We’re releasing them as part of this package. I’m not sure I’m supposed to be telling you this. . . . It’s great that you’re a fan of “Flowers in the Dirt.” Cause you’ve got a real nice release coming out. We showed it all to Elvis, and he was just tickled pink.
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

That is welcome news. Thank you for the information. I will keep my eye out for that re-release with the additional 'bonus' material. 8)
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

June 9th 2016 , in Elvis's acceptance speech at the Songwriter's Hall Of Fame -

Just this morning I was sent a newly discovered cassette demo recording of a 15th song co-written with 25 years ago Paul McCartney that we both assumed was lost -- and it's pretty good, too.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

A BIG box set! That is what I want to hear. :)
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Elvis shares the article from The Washington Post on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ElvisCostello
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

From Bronxapostle's account of the book discussion in Brooklyn -

I guess the biggest news which I should share from last night is ELVIS statement regarding the "lavish" reissue for McCartney FLOWERS IN THE DIRT. I could later get his exact wording from my SONY, but he seemed to state that there will be ONE FULL DISC including 5/6 demos from their writing together for the l.p. as well as 6/8 live performances (solo or the few shows played live together, I can not say.)

Maybe the EC/Macca live tracks will be from this -

Royal College Of Music benefit, March 1995

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... -23_London
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Tommy's Coming Home is now registered at ASCAP.
This problably means that this song will appear on the upcoming Flowers In The Dirt Archive Collection.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

naturally, tonight as i try to finally get the exact words from EC's lips the night he spoke of it in Brooklyn this week, SONY punks out just when about getting to it during my analog to digital transfer. I'll try to continue tomorrow. EVERYONE, say a rosary for SONY to not be a goner. :lol: :lol:
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

sweetest punch wrote:Tommy's Coming Home is now registered at ASCAP.
This problably means that this song will appear on the upcoming Flowers In The Dirt Archive Collection.
A tremendous song.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Dr. Luther wrote:
sweetest punch wrote:Tommy's Coming Home is now registered at ASCAP.
A tremendous song.
Ain't it second famous doc here at ECFF? :lol:
WAS ASTOUNDED when he started playing it at Carnegie Hall 2014.
How have u been my old friend?
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

bronxapostle wrote:WAS ASTOUNDED when he started playing it at Carnegie Hall 2014.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

NICE DOC!!! WHAT A GREAT NIGHT ON 57th STREET! worlds better than the night before.

WHAT ELVIS KINDA SAID ABOUT THE COMING FITD PACKAGE THIS WEEK IN BROOKLYN!!!!

let me begin with apologies on a couple of levels. firstly, i must admonish EC himself. the fricking guy acted like he NEVER held a microphone in his life this night!!! he was holding it all crazy sidewards, NOT talking directly into it, the LEAST amplified of the three jerks on stage that evening. secondly, my SONY had great difficulty picking up his LOW TONES and thirdly, for anyone in the know about analog cassette...dumb luck, he was questioned about the item we are most concerned with, the FLOWERS IN THE DIRT re-issue, JUST AS SIDE ONE OF CASSETTE WAS ENDING, which further compromises the audio as tape approaches its end. the good news, brotherapostle also ZOOM recorded the talk, so with the good docs assistance, we should hopefully share the BETTER recording fully before long. but, here is my attempt at what was said, as far as i can decipher amid the many onstacles in my way....

question : WOULD YOU EVER COLLABORATE WITH PAUL MCCARTNEY AGAIN?

EC (not verbatim, but close): I SORT OF AM IN A SENSE, WORKING WITH HIM AGAIN. I RECENTLY SAW THE PACKAGE OF THE SONGS WE WROTE TOGETHER UNBELIEVABLY 25 YEARS AGO. I WROTE FOUR SONGS WITH HIM FOR FLOWERS IN THE DIRT AND IT HAS COME NOW TIME TO BE REVIEWED (his word!!!) THEY'VE MADE A BEAUTIFUL LAVISH PACKAGE, WHICH OBVIOUSLY WON'T BE IN EVERYONE'S CHRISTMAS STOCKING. THEY DID A BEAUTIFUL JOB. IT WAS WONDERFUL TO SEE PROOFS AND PRINTED PROOFS OF THE ARTWORK INCLUDING PHOTOGRAPHS OF ME, LOOKING VERY TRUMP LIKE, IN THE STUDIO THAT I DO NOT REMEMBER TAKING. I THINK THEY ARE GOING TO ISSUE IN THE PACKAGE A WHOLE DISC OF OUR ENTIRE WORK TOGETHER. WHICH WOULD BE SEVEN SONGS AS DEMOS BY PAUL AND I AND SIX WITH THE BAND LIVE.....and then my tape becomes undecipherable. :oops: :oops: :oops:

please await the brotherapostle digital take for hopeful better results.