Event Type: St. Francis College
On the Docket:
Reading
Audience Q&A
Book Signing
bronxapostle

Re: Elvis in book discussion, Brooklyn, July 26 2016

Post by bronxapostle »

Oh, I thought this was in UK. Is it free? I see no link for tickets?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.sfc.edu/page.cfm?p=357

'Most of these events are free, not just for students but for the entire Brooklyn Heights community'
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Do they let Bronxites in for free? :twisted: :D :D
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

i am getting VERY NERVOUS. haven't seen him in 2016 yet. my 23 consecutive years streak is in JEOPARDY!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
stricttime81

Post by stricttime81 »

bronxapostle wrote:i am getting VERY NERVOUS. haven't seen him in 2016 yet. my 23 consecutive years streak is in JEOPARDY!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I got a ticket for Nashville in October.
AKA: Mike the Lawyer
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://triblive.com/aande/books/1078069 ... ar-writing

Mary-Louise Parker is a star in the literary world, too

BY REGE BEHE

Saturday, July 23, 2016

As an actress, Mary-Louise Parker's work is visceral and immediate. In the film “Fried Green Tomatoes,” or the television series “Weeds,” or via her work on stage, her natural luminosity radiates.

It can be argued she's as equally talented — perhaps even more so — as a writer. Parker, who appears July 27 as a guest of Pittsburgh Arts & Lectures' New & Noted series, is a contributor to Esquire magazine and the author of “Dear Mr. You” (Scribner, $18), a collection of letters to some of the men in her life.

While her acting talents are unquestioned, sometimes her writing ability is doubted.

“I grew accustomed to people smirking a little bit,” Parker says, “and I understand why it wouldn't be a natural assumption that I could write. I understand that, but it just led me to not to advertise it so much that I was writing a book.”

Of course, name recognition didn't hurt when “Dear Mr. You” was published. But Parker drew rarefied praise from writers including Colum McCann and National Book Award winner Andrew Solomon, who wrote that Parker “has a warrior's determination and a poet's insight.”

Poetry is Parker's main literary influence, with poets Sharon Olds, Mark Strand, Kevin Young, Philip Levine and Mary Karr among her favorites. Songwriters, such as Joni Mitchell and Elvis Costello, also have influenced her. The directness of “Dear Mr. You” mimics how these writers approach their craft.

“These people are being completely honest,” Parker says, “and they say something in a fresh way because there is no other way for them to say it. It's not that they're trying to show off or be unique. This is the way it comes out of them. They are somehow hyper-connected to the truth, the way those words fall together.”

If there's a commonality between Parker's acting and writing, it's the necessity to be observant. She calls herself “the quiet one in the corner,” and that natural tendency enables her to “absorb and remember a lot.”

“I am a big daydreamer, and my imagination is probably what best feeds the writing,” she says. “I am not sure how it informs the acting, though. Now that I am about to be 52 years old, I don't feel like I have to apologize for being such a daydreamer anymore. Maybe it's more charming on an older lady and people don't automatically assume you are aloof or on narcotics.

“In many ways, I am more suited to writing because it's solitary and you have more control over the final product. I don't feel very comfortable around large groups of people, and by large I mean anything over three, so writing is easier in that sense.”

“Dear Mr. You” primarily consists of letters to men — there is one chapter called “Dear Miss Girl” — who are addressed variously as “Dear Man Out of Time,” “Dear Lifeline” and “Dear Risk Taker.” Celebrity gawkers may be able to match the letters to famed addressees, but Parker thinks the anonymous approach yielded at least one advantage.

“I have heard from a couple of people lately that they really appreciated that they didn't know anything about who certain men were and that allowed them to project their own experiences and memories onto the letters,” Parker says. “It was also just fun coming up with some of the code names, and in the end it was really intended to be a bunch of thank-you notes.”
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Dear Mr You seems like it's modelled on or inspired by The Juliet Letters.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

anyone going? i'm probably there by 4 p.m. hoping to see tin brooklyn Tony or stricttime Mike! oh and yet another BK pal...monkey2man!
jmm

Post by jmm »

Not there this time.

Enjoy it and looking forward to reports!
I too am a limited, primitive kind of man
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Come one, come all. Nobody here 100 minutes before start time. Well, my brother and I plus three more. Hope more people show.
stricttime81

Post by stricttime81 »

Wasn't able to make it, too much work! Hope you enjoyed!
AKA: Mike the Lawyer
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

No music...but a pleasant hour talk. Only about 150 people, so very pleasant afterwards meeting Chalkie and Elvis and Mary Lou. Good clean fun with brotherapostle, monkey man and Tin brooklyn.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Did you register for a class at St. Francis College? Just kidding. Seems like a cool, little Francisican college in Brooklyn Heights.

Heading back east tomorrow and I seemed to have missed all the great shows along with all the great Fall shows, too. Boo! No West Coast love.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Via Twitter

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

B.A. photos -

Additional photos by B.A.'s brother, who prefers to be anonymous

Photo by BA -

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Lj , via f/book -

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

i guess the biggest news which i should share from last night is ELVIS statement regarding the "lavish" reissue for McCartney FLOWERS IN THE DIRT. i could later get his exact wording from my SONY, but he seemed to state that there will be ONE FULL DISC including 5/6 demos from their writing together for the l.p. as well as 6/8 live performances (solo or the few shows played live together, i can not say.) CAN HE REALLY BE ACCURATE AS TO AN ENTIRE DISC DEVOTED TO THEIR WORK TOGETHER? quite high praise from Paul after all, i would say. 8) 8) 8)

p.s. i would be remiss to NOT add, as Elvis right hand was full of books (witness our photo together) as we said HELLO, i dared put my right hand up for FIST BUMP and wouldn't you know...HE OBLIGED!!!
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Love the idea that Mr Sony was there in readiness, just in case EC provided a musical interlude. Glad you made it another consecutive year but my thinking is that the IB previews/sequel shows will top this ?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

sulky lad wrote:Love the idea that Mr Sony was there in readiness, just in case EC provided a musical interlude. Glad you made it another consecutive year but my thinking is that the IB previews/sequel shows will top this ?
why of course. even told E i'll see him in October and he said "YEAH, OCTOBER!" sounding psyched. last night will make a nice little one cd memory. EXCEPT I'M ALWAYS SO DAMN STUPID SHUTTING THE RECORDER WHEN I AM CHIT CHATTING WITH HIM FOR A SHORT WHILE>especially last night with twenty minutes/half an hour of blank cassette at the ready! :oops: :oops:
erey

Post by erey »

bronxapostle wrote: i could later get his exact wording from my SONY, but he seemed to state that there will be ONE FULL DISC including 5/6 demos from their writing together for the l.p. as well as 6/8 live performances (solo or the few shows played live together, i can not say.) CAN HE REALLY BE ACCURATE AS TO AN ENTIRE DISC DEVOTED TO THEIR WORK TOGETHER? quite high praise from Paul after all, i would say. 8) 8) 8)
BA, if whatever your Sony captured got digitized and ended up in my PM inbox, I'd be happy to transcribe the newsy portions. :D :D
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

let me begin with apologies on a couple of levels. firstly, i must admonish EC himself. the fricking guy acted like he NEVER held a microphone in his life this night!!! he was holding it all crazy sidewards, NOT talking directly into it, the LEAST amplified of the three jerks on stage that evening. secondly, my SONY had great difficulty picking up his LOW TONES and thirdly, for anyone in the know about analog cassette...dumb luck, he was questioned about the item we are most concerned with, the FLOWERS IN THE DIRT re-issue, JUST AS SIDE ONE OF CASSETTE WAS ENDING, which further compromises the audio as tape approaches its end. the good news, brotherapostle also ZOOM recorded the talk, so with the good docs assistance, we should hopefully share the BETTER recording fully before long. but, here is my attempt at what was said, as far as i can decipher amid the many onstacles in my way....

question : WOULD YOU EVER COLLABORATE WITH PAUL MCCARTNEY AGAIN?

EC (not verbatim, but close): I SORT OF AM IN A SENSE, WORKING WITH HIM AGAIN. I RECENTLY SAW THE PACKAGE OF THE SONGS WE WROTE TOGETHER UNBELIEVABLY 25 YEARS AGO. I WROTE FOUR SONGS WITH HIM FOR FLOWERS IN THE DIRT AND IT HAS COME NOW TIME TO BE REVIEWED (his word!!!) THEY'VE MADE A BEAUTIFUL LAVISH PACKAGE, WHICH OBVIOUSLY WON'T BE IN EVERYONE'S CHRISTMAS STOCKING. THEY DID A BEAUTIFUL JOB. IT WAS WONDERFUL TO SEE PROOFS AND PRINTED PROOFS OF THE ARTWORK INCLUDING PHOTOGRAPHS OF ME, LOOKING VERY TRUMP LIKE, IN THE STUDIO THAT I DO NOT REMEMBER TAKING. I THINK THEY ARE GOING TO ISSUE IN THE PACKAGE A WHOLE DISC OF OUR ENTIRE WORK TOGETHER. WHICH WOULD BE SEVEN SONGS AS DEMOS BY PAUL AND I AND SIX WITH THE BAND LIVE.....and then my tape becomes undecipherable. :oops: :oops: :oops:

please await the brotherapostle digital take for hopeful better results.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Thanks BA.

This is a teaser for the full version :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?