Relatively Insignificant EC Stuff. . .

Pretty self-explanatory
sulky lad

Re: Relatively Insignificant EC Stuff. . .

Post by sulky lad »

Ha - he doesn't have the GCW long box ??!!

No I don't either :oops:
Heats101

Post by Heats101 »

Heats101 wrote:the-juliet-letters-featuring-zephyr-quartet.

Who is going ?

Well myself and Wifey actually. Shame the Brodskys are not performing as they were down here only a few weeks ago as part of their collaboration with Katie Noonan.

Don't think a set list will be required !!

http://www.adelaidecabaretfestival.com. ... r-quartet/
We thoroughly enjoyed out first live performance of this work. It was very faithful to the original score in that the four (two female/two male) singers did not deviate for deviations sake.There was an added piano for most songs and a few nice touches like sound effects and some basis props and occasional imagery (lyrics, photos of various political leaders etc.) as a backdrop behind the quartet who were impeccable.
The singers were clearly all highly trained seasoned campaigners however it made me realise what a sterling delivery Elvis gave on the recording despite his alleged vocal limitations.
Good manners and bad breath get you nowhere
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

On the recent "Detour" around the UK, Elvis played a few songs at the piano. He typically started by explaining that he has borrowed it from his wife, Diana Krall, but that he has to return it in the same condition, and therefore won't be setting it on fire and sending it crashing into the stalls. Whilst Elvis has his wife's piano, she seems to have "borrowed" her touring band from him.

At a recent show in Singapore, Diana appeared with guitarist Anthony Wilson, bassist Dennis Crouch, fiddle player Stuart Duncan, drummer Karriem Riggins and keyboardist Patrick Warren.

Dennis Crouch and Stuart Duncan were both in the Sugarcanes and therefore on Secret, Profane & Sugarcane. Anthony WIlson and Karriem RIggins have both performed with Elvis, usually when he has shared the stage with Diana. Riggins helped produce Wise Up: Thought - the remix of Wise Up Ghost. Patrick Warren has performed with Elvis twice, the first time as long ago as 2003 in Los Angeles.

So to some extent Diana's band is also Elvis', just as his touring piano is also hers.

MOOT

PS At the recent stage version of "Whose Line Is it Anyway?" at the London Palladium, hosted as ever by Clive Anderson, the closing music to which the performers took their bow was an instrumental version of "Pump It Up".
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

Man out of Time wrote:
At a recent show in Singapore, Diana appeared with guitarist Anthony Wilson, bassist Dennis Crouch, fiddle player Stuart Duncan, drummer Karriem Riggins and keyboardist Patrick Warren.

Dennis Crouch and Stuart Duncan were both in the Sugarcanes and therefore on Secret, Profane & Sugarcane. Anthony WIlson and Karriem RIggins have both performed with Elvis, usually when he has shared the stage with Diana. Riggins helped produce Wise Up: Thought - the remix of Wise Up Ghost. Patrick Warren has performed with Elvis twice, the first time as long ago as 2003 in Los Angeles.
Anthony Wilson & Karriem Riggins have been Diana's go-to guitarist & drummer for many years; probably about a decade, though I think Antony has been with her longer. Karriem is basically there any time she can't get Jeff Hamilton (and Jeff is usually there when she does shows with a big band or orchestra, in which case it's basically the Clayton-Hamilton Orchestra + strings). Karriem has also written / produced other stuff for the Roots pre-Wise Up Ghost (since Phrenology, I think?)
Diana's been working with Dennis Crouch, Stuart Duncan and Patrick Warren since ~2012 I believe (around the time of Glad Rag Doll), but outside of this more bluegrassy band, she generally works with Christian McBride, John Clayton or Robert Hurst on bass.
verbal gymnastics

Elvis has also put his name to this. It's been a busy week!

http://www.billboard.com/open-letter/
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Just misread one of the signatures as Maureen Lipman - and wondered what she knew about gun control !! :oops:
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

Oliver's Army was voted into Johnnie's Jukebox on radio two last Sunday.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.irishcentral.com/culture/ent ... laar-.html

Peter Vogelaar tells PlayIrish USA of his love for Chicago
July 01,2016

(extract)

"But on one February Monday morning I found myself in heaven, at 2120 S. Michigan Ave - Chess Records label and studios. Now the Willie Dixon Blues Foundation, this unassuming building was home to Muddy Waters, Bo Diddley, Howlin’ Wolf and the R&B records that turned me onto music forever.

"Curiously there’s a signed picture of Elvis Costello in the lobby which has a note to the effect of ‘Thanks for the tour of where it all began - sorry for causing such a commotion!!’ My tour guide, between hysterical laughing fits, explained that on a day when a couple were getting married in a Blues themed wedding, Elvis had turned up for a look around unannounced. When the bride saw him she roared ‘I can’t believe you got Elvis Costello to sing at my wedding’ and fainted on the spot!!
verbal gymnastics

:lol:
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

https://celebrityplate-2.myshopify.com/ ... s-costello

Plate name: Feed The Arts + Elvis Costello

The Feed The Arts Celebrity Plate program combines an image – in this case ours! – with an A-list celebrity signature. Signed images are reproduced in a limited edition of collectible plates before the original print is offered for auction in our store.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

' Here’s one from the archives I only happened upon recently …'
Bruce Thomas has posted a new photo from September 1977

http://www.brucethomas.co.uk/?p=2746

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... -10_London

Chalkie Davies , who took this -

......is here

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuyVQbyBHJI

Mary Coughlin - Baby Plays Around
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

During Richard Linklatter's latest last evening-"Everybody Wants Some"- characters while waiting to enter a local club in Austin during the late summer of 1980 are trying to impress one another with their musical acumen and the name Costello along with Devo and Talking Heads is blurted out as testament of their 'hipness'.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Offshoreram

Post by Offshoreram »

My print of Good Year for the Roses (from Supersizeart) and Simpson collectables signed by Elvis in Bristol yesterday :D

My head is spinning and my legs are weak
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

On ebay - I can only imagine how ghastly it is.
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

Bizarrely, they were playing Mose Allison's Everybody's Crying Mercy in the Broadway shopping centre, Bradford at 8.30 this morning
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Its great to see Paschal Donohoe . Irish government minister , emphasising his Declanology in the latest Hot Press -

http://www.hotpress.com/news/Pascal-Don ... 57630.html

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/ ... iew-214092

My Adventures With Tim Kaine

The veep candidate’s former body man reveals his signature dance move, Dr. Pepper fixation and whether he deserves that pesky “boring” label.
By Gillian Brassil

July 23, 2016

From 2008 to 2010, Beau Cribbs served as the body man—a politician’s ever-present personal assistant—for Tim Kaine, then the governor of Virginia and now the Democratic candidate for vice president.

(extract)

We’d also play really weird songs that we had in our libraries and try to stump the other person. Like, “Do you know what this song is?” and then we’d play it and kind of go back and forth there—just funny, weird songs that you admit to having.

Like what? Do you remember a specific one?

He used to play—this is kind of funny—he used to play a song by Elvis Costello called “Blame It on Cain.” The chorus is, “Blame it on Cain, don’t blame it on me. It’s nobody’s fault, but we just need someone to burn” or something like that. So if he was getting beat up by Republicans or beat up in the media, he’d say like, “Hey, want to hear my favorite song?” And he’d play “Blame It on Cain.”
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

On ebay for $50 -

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Classic bit of footage with a blink & you'll miss it (I didn't!) EC visual involving the Porky Prime Cut man.

https://amp.twimg.com/v/d35311b4-80de-4 ... 1d480e06d4

Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

This article published in Irish World on 3 June 2016 concerns "Jack Mulligan" a new short film, which looks into the criminal underworld of the London Irish community, written by the Bible- Code Sundays’ Andy Nolan.

According to the article

" the use of music overlaying periods of drama is done perfectly. One such feature on the soundtrack is an Elvis Costello song, which the Londoner gave to Nolan to use for free due to his friendship and being a band member of his brother Ronan MacManus."

IMDB has an entry for the film here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5808918/ful ... t_ov_st_sm which says simply "Music by Elvis Costello".

There is a Facebook page here, but no clue as to what song EC gave for use in the film. Does anyone know any more?

MOOT
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5808918/soundtrack

15 Petals
Written by Elvis Costello
Performed by Elvis Costello
Album - When I Was Cruel, 2002
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The original version of Roadette Song , covered by Elvis & co. in Oct. '77 and released on the 2002 reissue of TYM, is on this -

http://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/hand ... d-edition/

Handsome: Expanded Edition
Kilburn & The High Roads

£10.95

Released August 26, 2016.
Fronted by Punk poet laureate Ian Dury, Kilburn & The High-Roads’ 1975 LP. Also includes their debut 45 plus bonus material.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »