Elvis in Songwriters Hall of Fame , June 9 2016

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Elvis in Songwriters Hall of Fame , June 9 2016

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.theatermania.com/new-york-ci ... 63249.html

Elvis Costello, Annie Lennox, Dave Stewart Nominated for Songwriters Hall of Fame

Dave Stewart, who co-wrote the score to the musical Ghost, and his Eurythmics partner Annie Lennox are among the nominees for the 2013 Songwriters Hall of Fame, according to The Associated Press. The gala will takes place on June 13 at the New York Marriott Marquis.

Other eligible singer-songwriters are Elvis Costello, B.B. King, Ray Davies, Jimmy Buffett, Vince Gill, Rod Temperton, Fleetwood Mac's Stevie Nicks, Lindsey Buckingham and Christine McVie, Jeff Lynne, Steve Winwood, Aeromsith's Steven Tyler and Joe Perry, Bobby Womack, and Foreigner's Lou Gramm and Mick Jones.

Non-performing songwriters up for nomination include Don Covay, Bobby Braddock and Holly Knight, Linda Perry, Bob McDill, Rick Nowels, Randy Goodrum, Tony Hatch and JD Souther, Dennis Lambert
Last edited by sweetest punch on Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis nominated for Songwriters Hall of Fame 2013

Post by johnfoyle »

Elvis has been short listed for this quite a few times -

http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... f=2&t=6828
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

veronicacostello

Post by veronicacostello »

And another article from the Minneapolis paper http://www.startribune.com/entertainmen ... 48982.html
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Elvis won't be inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame 2015. :(

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/new-songwri ... announced/

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/2 ... /150219508

Songwriters Hall of Fame's new class includes Cyndi Lauper, Toby Keith, Jerry Garcia

Cyndi Lauper, Toby Keith and Grateful Dead's Jerry Garcia will be inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in June.

The organization announced Wednesday that Linda Perry, country music songwriter Bobby Braddock and "Hoochie Coochie Man" writer Willie Dixon will also be inducted on June 18. Garcia and lyricist Robert Hunter will be inducted as a duo for their songwriting work for Grateful Dead.

Perry has written hits such as Christina Aguilera's "Beautiful" as well as songs for Pink and Alicia Keys.

The hall's 46th Annual Induction and Awards Dinner will take place at the Marriott Marquis in New York City. Garcia and Dixon will be inducted posthumously.

Tom Petty, Vince Gill, Elvis Costello and Kenneth "Babyface" Edmonds were part of the acts considered for induction this year.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Ceremony three days after the last date on the solo tour of Europe -

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/ ... c=rss&_r=0

Songwriters Hall of Fame to Honor Marvin Gaye, Elvis Costello and Tom Petty

By JOE COSCARELLI

MARCH 2, 2016

The minds and hearts behind such songs as “What’s Going On,” “Radio Radio” and “Free Fallin’” will be honored this year by the Songwriters Hall of Fame, whose 2016 induction class includes Marvin Gaye, Elvis Costello, Tom Petty and Chip Taylor (“Wild Thing”), and Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards of Chic. The 47th annual induction ceremony will take place at the Marriott Marquis in New York on June 9.

Kenneth Gamble and Leon Huff, the songwriters who now serve as co-chairmen for the organization, called the group “a beautiful mosaic of the best of late-20th-century popular music,” including rock ’n’ roll, soul, R&B, funk and dance.

“With the exception of two, all of the 2016 inductees are alive and continue to be as vitally creative as ever,” they added in a statement.

The hall was founded in 1969 and counts about 400 honorees. Last year’s class included Linda Perry, Cyndi Lauper and the Grateful Dead’s Jerry Garcia and Robert Hunter.

This year’s group is made up of both music stars and behind-the-scenes creators, with some functioning as both. Mr. Costello, known for his hits like “Alison” and “Pump It Up,” has also served as a lyricist for songs like “Shipbuilding” by Clive Langer, while Mr. Rodgers and Mr. Edwards wrote Sister Sledge’s “We Are Family,” in addition to Chic’s own “Everybody Dance” and “Le Freak.”
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

That's pretty esteemed company that Elvis will be keeping.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

http://songhall.org/index.php/news/entr ... inductees1

Tickets for the Songwriters Hall of Fame event begin at $1,250 each, and are available through Buckley Hall Events, 914-579-1000. Net proceeds from the event will go toward the Songwriters Hall of Fame programs. Songwriters Hall of Fame is a 501(c)3 organization. The non-deductible portion of each ticket is $170. Contributions, for which no goods or services are received in exchange, are fully tax-deductible as provided by law.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

And No Coffee Table wrote:Tickets for the Songwriters Hall of Fame event begin at $1,250 each
Who's going?
stricttime81

Post by stricttime81 »

docinwestchester wrote:
And No Coffee Table wrote:Tickets for the Songwriters Hall of Fame event begin at $1,250 each
Who's going?
A little too steep for me...
AKA: Mike the Lawyer
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis in Songwriters Hall of Fame 2016

Post by johnfoyle »

ahawkman

Re: Elvis in Songwriters Hall of Fame , June 9 2016

Post by ahawkman »

Took a quick look at past inductees, jeez I don't know even half of the names. That's on me, I'm sure many of these folks were good. However, for the names I do know, they sure seem to take longer than expected to get in. Bowie not until 2005? Marley not until 2010? EC not until now!?! Weak!!! And just because a group is popular and had some hits does not make them worthy IMO... Aerosmith, Foreigner.... really?
erey

Post by erey »

I think they skew toward non-performing songwriters, hence the many unfamiliar names, but, yeah, I noticed some real cheezballs in there.
verbal gymnastics

Re: Elvis in Songwriters Hall of Fame 2016

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Six blocks away until 3:00 p.m. but not feeling like it's worth the walk so early. Hope Elvis enjoys a night well deserved.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Songwriters Hall Of Fame, via Twitter. Speech & performance of Alison. Introduction by Marcus Mumford.

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.cp24.com/world/costello-gaye ... -1.2939876

Inductee Elvis Costello performs at the 47th Annual Songwriters Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony and Awards Gala at the Marriott Marquis Hotel on Thursday, June 9, 2016, in New York. (Photo by Charles Sykes/Invision/AP)
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://abc1230news.1230thefan.com/2016/ ... l-of-fame/

Elvis Costello walked the carpet with his wife, jazz singer Diana Krall. While his songwriting has encompassed punk, soul, country, classical and rock, he told reporters he never set out to conquer every musical genre. “I just liked a lot of different music,” he said. “I didn’t really know the word genre. I don’t speak French!”
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Great photo of Elvis and Diana looking happy together - good on yer !
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/ ... nel-richie

Costello called himself “the least commercially successful songwriter you have ever inducted” and wondered “how in the world did I end up with my photo next to Marvin Gaye” in the event’s program book. He thanked Linda Ronstadt and her producer/manager Peter Asher for recording “Alison” in 1978, generating royalties that “kept the gas in my tour bus” as he made his case before audiences across the United States. He also recalled being third on a bill for a club show with Petty in Chicago, and hiding behind a plastic plant with Rodgers on the stage of a Dutch music TV show. He concluded by thanking his wife, singer Diana Krall -- “I will never be a good enough songwriter to tell her how much I love her” – before picking up his blue Fender to perform “Alison.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Congratulations to EC. It's about time. What a cute photo of the happy couple. I also liked that Sister Sledge was one of the performers. We Are Family - classic tune from a Philadelphia family. Sweet.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »