Elvis (solo) plays Brescia, May 31, 2016

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Elvis (solo) plays Brescia, May 31, 2016

Post by Man out of Time »

Elvis plays Brescia in Italy on Tuesday May 31st. There is a preview in this article by Andrea Spinelli from Il Giorno published on 24 May 2016.

In Italian:

Elvis Costello agli Arcimboldi: voce e chitarra per raccontarsi

Il “Detour” con cui fa tappa agli Arcimboldi e il 31 maggio al Palabanco di Brescia lo vede solo in scena
di ANDREA SPINELLI

Milano, 24 maggio 2016 - L'autobus con cui gira l’Europa è lo stesso che ha portato Francesca Michielin e il suo staff all’Eurovision di Stoccolma, ma a Elvis Costello deve sembrare enorme visto che il “Detour” con cui fa tappa stasera agli Arcimboldi (e il 31 maggio al Palabanco di Brescia) lo vede solo in scena. Questo giro di concerti offre, infatti, l’opportunità di ascoltare l’autore di “Almost blue” voce e chitarra, in una veste da storyteller elettrico che gli lascia, ovviamente, massima libertà nella scelta del repertorio.

Quelle canzoni che nell’87, ai tempi del “Costello Show”, sceglieva con la complicità di una ruota della fortuna da sagra paesana, oggi Elvis le tira fuori annusando gli umori della sala per reinventare se stesso come davanti alle telecamere del dvd “Detour live at the Liverpool Philharmonic Hall”, arrivato sul mercato lo scorso autunno a rimorchio della robusta autobiografia “Unfaithful music & disappearing” e relativa compilation doppia. Senza il piano di Steve Nieve, la chitarra di Nick Lowe o quella di Marc Ribot, tanto per citare qualche celebre partner del passato, l’ex teppistello dalla “gioventù brutale” in questo Detour si abbandona a un flusso di coscienza che conserva solo alcuni capisaldi, come la cover della “She” di Charles Aznavour o gloriosi frammenti delle stagioni con gli Attractions quali “Oliver’s army” e “Accidents will happen”. «Elvis è sincero e diretto, spesso divertente, e ha una conoscenza della musica straordinaria come il suo amore per la vita, per l’arte e per la scienza», assicura il contrabbassista Greg Cohen, uno che lo conosce bene avendoci suonato assieme “My mood swings” nella colonna sonora de “Il grande Lebowski” dei fratelli Coen. D’altronde quello di Costello è un destino scritto nel dna. E non tanto per la divina del jazz che ha impalmato in terze nozze, Diana Krall madre dei suoi due gemelli (la seconda consorte, Cat O’Riordan, era la bassista dei Pogues, mentre la prima, Maria Burgoyne, gli ha dato il figlio Matthew), quanto per un albero genealogico ineluttabile: il nonno Pat trombettista sui piroscafi sulla rotta Liverpool - New York, la madre Lilian responsabile del reparto musica dei magazzini Selfridges di Oxford Street a Londra e il padre Ross, “voce” della big band di Joe Loss negli anni Cinquanta e Sessanta (ospitato da Elvis, in vesti di trombettista, tanto nella compilation di brani sparsi “Out of our idiot” che in “Mighty like a rose”). E poi quello pseudonimo d’arte, declinato col cuore alla bisnonna Elizabeth Costello e il pensiero al “Re del Rock”, certamente più evocativo del Declan Patrick MacManus che gli ha consegnato l’anagrafe 62 anni fa.

“My aim is true”, il primo album, risale al ’77; l’abbrivio del viaggio tra punk, new wave, rock, bluegrass, pop, country e folk di una personalità onnivora capace di graffiare la curiosità dei fans pure dietro l’aura di formalità di un’istituzione della classica come la Deutsche Grammophon, etichetta per cui ha inciso al fianco del mezzosoprano svedese Anne Sofie von Otter, ma pure della London Symphony Orchestra grazie ad alcune musiche scritte per l’Aterballetto di Reggio Emilia. Una trentina gli album in studio, sei quelli dal vivo, innumerevoli le collaborazioni; dal pop di Paul McCartney all’aristocratico esasy listening di Burt Bacharach, dal soul targato New Orleans del grande maestro Allen Toussaint all’hip hop alternativo dei Roots, alle lettere d’amore per la Giulietta shakespeariana musicate nel ’93 con la complicità del Brodsky Quartet. Se è vero che il suo mantra di Indefinibile è “sono qui per disorientare le persone ogni volta che posso”, c’è da dire che Declan-Elvis ci riesce benissimo.
Stasera alle 21 al Teatro Arcimboldi, viale Innovazione 20."

Or in "English" via Google Translate:

Elvis Costello at the Arcimboldi: voice and guitar to tell

The "Detour" which makes a stop at the Arcimboldi and May 31 to Palabanco Brescia sees him alone on stage

The bus which runs Europe is the same that led Michielin Francesca and her staff to the Eurovision in Stockholm, but Elvis Costello must seem huge because the "Detour" which makes a stop tonight at the Arcimboldi (and on May 31 to Palabanco Brescia) sees him alone on stage. This concert tour offers, in fact, the opportunity to hear the author of "Almost Blue" vocals and guitar, electric storyteller in a show that leaves, of course, freedom in the choice of repertoire.

Those songs that in '87, at the time of the "Costello Show", chose with the help of a wheel of fortune peasant festival, now Elvis takes them out of the room, sniffing the mood to reinvent himself as before the cameras dvd "Detour live at the Liverpool Philharmonic Hall ", arrived on the market last autumn in tow robust autobiography" Unfaithful music & disappearing "and its double compilation. Without Steve Nieve floor, Nick Lowe guitar or that of Marc Ribot, to name some famous partner of the past, the former punk from "Brutal Youth" in this Detour indulges in a stream of consciousness that preserves some strongholds, such as the cover of "She" by Charles Aznavour or fragments of the glorious seasons with the Attractions such as "Oliver's army" and "Accidents will happen". "Elvis is sincere and direct, often funny, and has an amazing knowledge of music as his love for life, for art and for science ', ensures bassist Greg Cohen, one who knows him well avendoci played together" My mood swings "in the soundtrack of" The Big Lebowski "by the Coen brothers. Besides that Costello is a destiny written in the DNA. And not because of divine jazz who impalmato in third wedding, Diana Krall mother of his twins (the second wife, Cat O'Riordan, was the Pogues bassist, while the first, Mary Burgoyne, gave his son Matthew), but for a family tree inescapable: the grandfather Pat trumpeter on steamboats on the route Liverpool - New York, her mother Lilian responsible for the music department of Selfridges department store on Oxford Street in London and father Ross, "voice" of the big band Joe Loss in the fifties and sixties (hosted by Elvis, in the guise of trumpet player, both in the compilation of scattered songs "Out of our idiot" in "Mighty like a rose"). And then the pseudonym of art, declined from the heart to the great-grandmother Elizabeth Costello and the thought to the "King of Rock", certainly more evocative of Declan Patrick MacManus who handed him the registry office 62 years ago.

"My aim is true", the first album, dates back to '77; the momentum of the journey between punk, new wave, rock, bluegrass, pop, country and folk of an omnivorous personality able to scratch the curiosity of the fans as well behind the aura of formality of the classical institution such as Deutsche Grammophon, the label for which he recorded alongside the Swedish mezzo-soprano Anne Sofie von Otter, but also of the London Symphony Orchestra thanks to some music written for the Reggio Emilia ATERBALLETTO. Thirty the studio albums, six live ones, countless collaborations; pop of Paul McCartney aristocrat easy listening to Burt Bacharach, the weblog soulful New Orleans the great master Allen Toussaint hip hop alternative of Roots, to love letters to Juliet Shakespeare to music in '93 with the complicity of Brodsky Quartet. While his undefinable mantra is "I'm here to disorient the people whenever I can", it must be said that Declan Elvis-he succeeds very well.

Tonight at 21 at the Teatro Arcimboldi, Avenue Innovation 20."

Anyone going?

MOOT
Offshoreram

Re: Elvis (solo) plays Brescia, May 31, 2016

Post by Offshoreram »

I'll be there.

My wife is flying home from Verona after we go to the Bologna gig and I'm travelling over to Brescia alone.

I would like to have done more than two shows but I'm being a good husband at the same time :wink:
My head is spinning and my legs are weak
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

You also need to take responsibility for posting the setlists. :wink:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

https://twitter.com/ecsongbysong
Brescia, 5/31/16: “Poison Moon.”

Brescia, 5/31/16: “Poor Napoleon.”

Brescia, 5/31/16: “Riot Act.”

Brescia, 5/31/16: “Nothing Clings Like Ivy” with @LarkinPoe. Megan Lovell's solo on this continues to astound.

Offshoreram

Post by Offshoreram »

Strange concert tonight.

It was advertised to start at 9pm, like most Italian shows, but Larkin Poe came on stage to an almost empty venue at 8.15. I had just arrived and heard them starting so rushed in. Most of the rest of the audience arrived just before 9 so missed the support.

The venue was half to two thirds full. Not a huge arena, maybe 1500, but it appeared to be an inflatable dome. The acoustics weren't great and you could hear outside noise such as the rain and sirens through the show.

The audience for the most were quiet. Elvis started his first anecdote to almost total silence. I think there was a language barrier tonight. So we had very few stories, no mention of his father, mother, grandfather etc.

His voice was fine but he did seem to have trouble clearing his throat on Shipbuilding and All This Useless Beauty

The security were very tight. One of the roadies got me a set list and the steward was trying to stop him giving it to me. He then ushered me out as the roadie came after me to give me a plectrum. I went around the back to see Elvis and it was all barricaded off. There seemed to be no one else waiting but the same security guy came over and orders me out of the gates. I think I saw Elvus being driven away so he didn't hang around for long afterwards

This is the set list as played, not as on the stage set list...

1. Lipstick Vogue
2. Red Shoes
3. Poison Moon
4. Accidents Will Happen
5. Ascension Day
6. Poor Napoleon
7. Everyday I Write the Book
8. Fluttering and Wow
9. Oliver's Army
10. Shipbuilding - piano
11. Face In The crowd - piano
12. Don't Lose Your First Love Looking For The Last Word - piano
13. Walking My Baby Back Home - seated
14. All This Useless Beauty (one verse in Italian) - seated
15. She - seated
16. Watching The Detectives
17. Riot Act
Encore1
18. Pads Paws and Claws with Larkin Poe
19. Nothing Clings Like Ivy with Larkin Poe
20. Clownstrike with Larkin Poe
21. Burn The Paper Down To Ash (Rebecca Lovell on vocals) with Larkin Poe
22. Blame it on Caine with Larkin Poe
Encore 2
23. Alison
24. I Want You
25. Peace Love and Understanding with Larkin Poe
verbal gymnastics

Good work offshoreham.

I hope the strangeness of the set up was compensated by getting some more obscure songs.

Did you upset the security guy or something? :?

It's a bit upsetting there was no meet and greet after as I bet Elvis would have appreciated seeing a familiar English face.
Offshoreram

Post by Offshoreram »

No, I'm not sure if it is typical of Italian security.

There didn't seem to be any other interest in meeting Elvis apart from an older Italian guy asking security if they could get Elvis to sign his book. He was told no and sent away.

I approached the stage at the end which seemed frowned upon but the English roadie was happy to help. He said there was just one set list taped to the monitor which he held over the front of the stage and another chap just took it from his hand. The roadie then said to wait and he would get another from back stage. At this point security wanted everyone out of the hall. I stood my ground and when the roadie returned the steward tried to stop him giving me the set list.

It doesn't matter in the end as I think I've been treated to two excellent shows in Bologna and Brescia and heard 38 different songs over both nights :D
myaimistrue91

Post by myaimistrue91 »

Offshoreram wrote:
It doesn't matter in the end as I think I've been treated to two excellent shows in Bologna and Brescia and heard 38 different songs over both nights :D
Next time come to Florence! You'll have more fun. Brescia is a sad and boring town .
Offshoreram

Post by Offshoreram »

Some photos from the Brescia show...

verbal gymnastics

Great photos. Thanks for sharing these.

I'd forgotten about your setlist story until I reread your post.