Re: Elvis (solo) plays Padova May 25th 2016

Post by verbal gymnastics »

InvisibleMan wrote:Me. And my uncle.
I'm holding you personally responsible to post a setlist! :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
InvisibleMan

Post by InvisibleMan »

Ok, I went there equipped with notepad and pen, and I awkwardly scribbled in the dark.

Green Shirt
Mystery Dance
I Can't Turn It Off
Red Shoes
Ascension Day
Stella Hurt
Church Underground
Clubland
Come The Meantimes
Shipbuilding - on piano
A Face in the Crowd - on piano
Walkin' My Baby Back Home - seated
Ghost Train - seated
She - seated
TV Is the Thing - seated
I Want You

Pump It Up - inside TV
Alison - inside TV

Side By Side - on piano
Everyday I Write The Book
JImmy Standing In The Rain / Brother Can You Spare a Dime

Watching The Detectives
Tripwire / (What's So Funny About) Peace Love and Understanding

The voice was in good shape, he only had some troubles with Shipbuilding [and sung a wrong note in the final high notes].
Talking about mistakes, he played two or three wrong chords during Everyday. The audience was warm and welcoming, applauded abundantly, and there was a final half-standing ovation for Elvis [I don't think everybody got up]. The public also reacted to the anecdotes and introductions, the language barrier didn't seem to spoil this element of the show. When Elvis stomps the floor, is it an invite to participate rhythmically to the song? If it's so nobody understood, although people clapped to half of Pump It Up.

Note of personal silliness: I think that autographs are silly, and I would never ask for one, nonetheless after the show I bought the signed Unfaithful Book just because it didn't seem nice buying the unsigned one. So, I think autographs are silly, but I spent 10€ to buy one, and I did it for an exquisitely stupid reason.
Last edited by InvisibleMan on Thu May 26, 2016 5:57 am, edited 5 times in total.
io strombazzo!

Ombre nel sole
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

InvisibleMan wrote:Ok, I went there equipped with notepad and pen, and I awkwardly scribbled in the dark.

Hurray! Well done.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

verbal gymnastics

verbal gymnastics wrote:
InvisibleMan wrote:Ok, I went there equipped with notepad and pen, and I awkwardly scribbled in the dark.
Thank you - you've made a lot of people very happy and your place in history is now assured. :D :wink:
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

A recording of I Can't Turn It Off (which became Watch Your Step on Trust):

MOOT
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

InvisibleMan

Post by InvisibleMan »

verbal gymnastics wrote:
verbal gymnastics wrote:
Thank you - you've made a lot of people very happy and your place in history is now assured. :D :wink:
Thank you: finally my life has a meaning.
io strombazzo!

Ombre nel sole
verbal gymnastics

:lol:
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Review in Corriere Della Sera published on 26 May 2016:

"Elvis Costello al Geox percorre le sue avventure musicali

Una scaletta molto ampia; la storia di uno dei più grandi cantautori di sempre

PADOVA Una televisione anni Sessanta grande come un metà palco è la scenografia davanti alla quale sono sistemati oggetti, tra i più vari, che raccontano la vita, le passioni e la carriera del 61enne Declan Patrick MacManus, conosciuto da tutti con il nome di Elvis Costello. Al Gran Teatro Geox di Padova, mercoledì, è passata una tappa del “Detour” di Costello, una tournée in cui ha voluto essere sul palco solo con i suoi ricordi e la musica. Proprio per questo il palcoscenico è disseminato di chitarre, elettriche e acustiche, un pianoforte, una sedia retrò, una scultura femminile, tre microfoni, megafoni e le sciarpe del Liverpool FC, sua passione calcistica di antica data. Il «Detour» non è un concerto classico, ma è fondato sull’improvvisazione, la libertà di fare, cantare e raccontare quello che si vuole. Forse è per questo che la risposta del pubblico non è stata così imponente: settori in platea tolti, la tribuna eliminata. Ma chi non c’era si è perso un concerto unico che ha rivelato (se ce ne fosse davvero bisogno) e, in un qualche modo, perfino spiegato uno dei più importanti cantautori di sempre. Prime del live il televisore-scenografia trasmette la musica di Costello, i suoi video, le sue avventure musicali.

Poi entra lui, lo stile inconfondibile, in total black, ed inizia la musica. La scaletta, ampia, regala sorprese a non finire. «Green shirt», «Mistery dance» aprono alla versione demo, in acustico, di «Watch your step». I ricordi fluiscono liberi con una verve narrativa da attore consumato. Il pensiero va quando negli States lo trattavano come un re, con enormi stanze d’albergo e tutto quello che poteva desiderare. «Mi ero messo in testa una missione liberare il mondo dal l’alcol.... bevendolo tutto!», scherza con perfetti tempi comici prima di suonare “Red shoes”. Tra i momenti più toccanti il ricordo, con «Ascension day», di Allen Toussaint, genio del R&B scomparso lo scorso anno, con cui Costello ha inciso «The river in reverse» nel 2006. Segue il momento più strettamente cantautorale con le ballad blues «Stella Hurt» e «Church underground». Ancora una vivace versione latina di «Clubland» e poi Costello passa al pianoforte per il classico «Shipbuilding», canzone di protesta contro la guerra delle Falklands, e per l’inedito «Face in the crowd» che farà parte di un musical (qui non mancano le frecciatine a Donald Trump). Cambio di scena.

«Questo è il momento di introdurre la special guest... Sono io!» scherza il cantautore inglese, cambiando «location» e sedendosi su di una seggiola retrò, indossando l’iconico classico cappello a tesa larga. Lo standard «Walkin’ my baby back home», canzone degli anni Trenta, porta a «Ghost train», al successo «She», colonna sonora di «Notting Hill», e a «Tv is the thing this year», portata al successo da Dinah Washington del 1953. Per i bis Costello suona solo successi. L’enorme schermo proietta «If I had a hammer» del papà di Costello, il cantante Ross McManus, per dare tempo al cantautore di cambiarsi. Poi, chewing-gum in bocca, cappotto anni Settanta e occhiali colorati lancia il capolavoro «I want you»; cambia ancora stage (finendo dentro il televisione) per i ricordi punk di «Pump it up» e l’altro gioiello «Alison». C’è tempo per lo standard «Side by side» al piano, e ancora, a pochi centimetri dal pubblico, una versione acustica, completamente riarrangiata, di «Everyday I write the book». Il concerto sembra non finire mai. «Jimmy standing in the rain» apre ad una magistrale «Watching the detectives» con le locandine dei polizieschi che scorrono alle spalle. Prima di lasciare il palco Costello regala anche una «Tripwire» mashuppata al classico «(What’s so funny ‘bout) Peace, love, and understanding»."

Or in "English" via Google Translate:

"Elvis Costello to Geox along his musical adventures
A very large ladder; the story of one of the greatest songwriters of all time

PADUA A television sixties as big as a half of the stage is the backdrop in front of which are placed objects, among the many that tell the life, passions and career of the 61 year old Declan Patrick MacManus, known by all as Elvis Costello . At the Gran Teatro Geox in Padova on Wednesday, it has passed a stage of the "Detour" Costello, a tour in which he wanted to be on stage with his memories and music. Precisely why the stage is strewn with guitars, electric and acoustic, a piano, a retro chair, a female sculpture, three microphones, megaphones and scarves Liverpool FC's football passion of ancient date. The "Detour" is not a classical concert, but is based on improvisation, the freedom to do, sing and tell what you want. Maybe that's why the public response was not so impressive: sectors in the stalls removed, eliminated the grandstand. But who was not there you missed a single concert that revealed (if proof were really needed) and, in some way, even explains one of the most important songwriters of all time. Early live your TV-set design transmits the music of Costello, his videos, his musical adventures.

Then he comes in, the unmistakable style, in total black, and the music starts. The ladder, large, offers surprises to no end. 'Green Shirts, "" Mystery Dance "opened the demo version, acoustic, of" Watch your step. " The memories flow free with a narrative verve of a consummate actor. Our thoughts go to the States when they treated him like a king, with huge hotel rooms and everything you could wish for. "I had made up his mind on a mission to rid the world from alcohol drinking it .... everything!" He jokes with perfect comic timing before playing "Red shoes". Among the most touching moments the memory, with "Ascension Day", Allen Toussaint, genius R & B died last year, with which Costello has recorded "The River in Reverse," in 2006. It follows the more closely songwriting now with ballad blues "Stella Hurt" and "underground Church". Once bustling Latin version of "Clubland" and then Costello goes to the piano for the classic "Shipbuilding", a protest song against the Falklands War, and the unreleased "Face in the crowd" that will be part of a musical (here no shortage of barbs at Donald Trump). Scene change.

"This is the time to introduce the special guest ... It's me!" Jokes the British singer-songwriter, changing "location" and sitting on a retro chair, wearing the classic iconic wide-brimmed hat. The standard "Walkin 'my baby back home", song of the thirties, leading to' ghost train 'success' She', the soundtrack of "Notting Hill" and "TV is the thing this year», brought to success by Dinah Washington in 1953. For a Costello sounds only successes. The huge screen projecting "If I had a hammer" of Costello's father, the singer Ross McManus, to give time to get changed songwriter. Then, chewing gum in his mouth, coat Seventy years and colored glasses launches masterpiece "I Want You"; changes again stage (finishing inside the television) for punk memories of "Pump it up" and the other jewel "Alison." There is time for the standard "Side by Side" to the plan, and again, a few centimeters from the audience, an acoustic version, completely rearranged, the "Everyday I write the book." The concert seems to never end. "Jimmy standing in the rain," he opens with a masterful "Watching the Detectives" with posters of detective flowing behind. Before leaving the stage Costello also offers a "tripwire" mashuppata the classic "(What's so funny 'bout) Peace, love, and understanding." "

So now we know that the Italian for "mashup" is "mashuppata". Nothing if not educational.

MOOT