Ever been 5 consecutive cancellations before???

Pretty self-explanatory
bronxapostle

Ever been 5 consecutive cancellations before???

Post by bronxapostle »

Very sorry for all those hoping to attend, I'm certain Elvis will try to make it all up to you soon. However, i must praise his good judgment here. Why attempt travelling to five separate countries over a week when ailing? Someone made a great call. I bet he will be back in top shape for his barrage of Italia. With the sudden loss of the great PRINCE, I'm well pleased with this decision, even if it was on American soil and ME holding a couple of tickets. Curiosity, has there ever been an instance where this many shows were scraped due to illness before or for any other reason at all? Wishing Elvis all the best of health soon, now and always, FROM ALL OF US HERE AT THE FAN FORUM. Godspeed, benny
Man out of Time

Re: Ever been 5 consecutive cancellations before???

Post by Man out of Time »

bronxapostle wrote:has there ever been an instance where this many shows were scraped due to illness before or for any other reason at all?
There is a page on the Wiki (of course) for canceled appearances.

Canceled appearances

In November 2011, Elvis cancelled a run of six solo shows in Europe, including one in Belgium and one in Holland, because his father was dying. He subsequently rescheduled all but two of them (Malmö and Warsaw). I had a ticket for the Eindhoven show, which finally took place in June the following year.

I would hope that ticket holders for this week's shows will have the option of their money back or seats at a rescheduled show. Of course that does not compensate for the cost of hotels or flights that were booked for this week....

In the shows he played in London last week, Elvis reminded us that Allen Toussaint died on tour in Spain. So as you say, better that Elvis rests when ill rather than press on, with potentially serious consequences

MOOT
erey

Post by erey »

bronxapostle wrote: With the sudden loss of the great PRINCE, I'm well pleased with this decision, even if it was on American soil and ME holding a couple of tickets. Curiosity, has there ever been an instance where this many shows were scraped due to illness before or for any other reason at all? Wishing Elvis all the best of health soon, now and always, FROM ALL OF US HERE AT THE FAN FORUM. Godspeed, benny
I hear you here, bp. Not to be too melodramatic, but I was also thinking of Prince when A Rope Leash, cwr, and others were expressing concern a few days ago that EC is working himself too hard. While obviously I don't fear that EC might do irreparable damage to his joints from too many on-stage deep splits and leaps off the piano in high heels, I do worry about him damaging his voice beyond repair. Perhaps EC learned something after all from writing "Stella Hurt"!
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

His concert schedule have been crazy the last 10 years. I had tickets for the cancelled Malmö show and now the one in Aalborg. Once in Hamburg he was pretty hoarse (and had cancelled a few shows prior) and once in Copenhagen (summer 2010) he should have left the building before the show started instead of 70 minutes of croaking whispering. Many (younger) bands who plays shorter shows doesnt play 3 nights in a row in 3 different countries. I love that he plays so many shows but...
I'm not buying my share of souvenirs
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Elvis on Facebook:

Elvis Costello sincerely regrets that due to illness he has had to cancel his “Detour” shows in Utrecht May 18th, Aalborg May 20th & Hamburg May 21st.
Any patron seeking a refund may do so at the point of purchase. Re-scheduled dates will be announced as soon as possible.
We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Elvis Costello’s “Detour” solo show will resume in Turin May 23rd
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Elvis on his homepage: http://www.elviscostello.com/news/beyon ... n-door/818

BEYOND THE GREEN DOOR

I don’t usually like to reveal what goes on behind the green door but my current predicament demands that I am frank about this for those who care to read on…

Monday night in Antwerp was the first time in my 39 years as a professional musician that I have done a soundcheck but then failed to, at least, attempt a performance and this probably includes a few fights that I truthfully should have ducked.

So, I was forced to postpone the show on the advice of a doctor on Feast of The Pentecost.

So much for talking in tongues.

I don’t cancel shows lightly, as my record will attest, so I offer my sincere apologies to my friends and the ticket-holders for the shows in Antwerp, Paris, Utrecht, Aalborg and Hamburg, all of which we have been advised to postpone while I recover from the effects of respiratory virus.

I’m thankful for the understanding of my promoters, agency, management and tour crew and their willingness to accept this difficult decision without stress or drama.

We will live to fight another day.

You will not have to go far to find someone who has been afflicted by this current viral strain, a stealthy but persistent epidemic.

It was first visited on my touring crew and myself on the 5th of April in Riverside, California but its continued effects have been unsettling to say the very least.

We did everything we could to keep “Detour” on the road, while my crew-members and I travelled in and out of the sickbay during the U.S shows in April.

My own expectation of complete rest and full recovery were somewhat compromised when I arrived home from three wonderful days in and around New Orleans JazzFest to find my entire household down with the same affliction.

Sometimes you just can’t catch a break…

Bringing “Detour” to the London Palladium was a special event in my calendar. Having to think about my ability to perform is the opposite of what I do. Trying to give the audience of my best over those four performances clearly pushed my own expectations and reserves to the very limit.

Despite this, I’m very grateful for the welcome we received, especially the curiosity and interest in the songs from the forthcoming stage production, “A Face In The Crowd” but all of the songs matter to me, even the ones I claim not to like or I wouldn’t be singing them for you.

The contribution of Rebecca and Megan Lovell of Larkin Poe to these “Detour” shows has been something special, both in their suggestion to revive unexpected numbers like, “Hoover Factory” and their fearless part in the live debut of the new songs, “Burn The Paper Down To Ash” and “American Mirror”.

I trust that those who stayed to hear them play on Monday night in Antwerp had a treat despite any disappointment at my cancellation.

Only an idiot would mistake me for an auto-tuned robot, content to play
dimly remembered songs for cheap applause.

It is my desire and intention to only play shows that have scale and scope.

There are no encores in “Detour”.

There are only a number of consecutive scenes that occur before I leave the stage for the first time and those that happen after I return.

I play just exactly as many songs as your good graces and my energies will allow, always leaving the door open to an impromptu, detour or two, while telling the story that I set out to tell on that particular evening.

That’s why it’s called, “Detour”.

This is a stage show, not a promotional tool.

The relationship between themes and threads of “Detour” and the contents of “Unfaithful Music and Disappearing Ink” are there to be seen and heard but a concert and a book are two different animals.

If you have the taste for one, you may lack the patience for the other.

The choice, as always, is yours…

So, if this unfortunate turn of events should extend the life of “Detour” into 2017 and beyond our presently scheduled visits to Japan, Asia and a grand sweep across the United States the last days before the impending insanity, I will enjoy gambolling and gambling in this playground just a little while longer.

We will attempt to reschedule our “Detour” dates in Antwerp, Paris, Utrecht, Aalborg and Hamburg as soon as possible and perhaps this will also give us an opportunity to visit your town.

Before then, The Imposters and I will cross the Atlantic in July for shows at The Roundhouse, London, the Liverpool Philharmonic Hall, Barrowlands, Glasgow and Colston Hall, Bristol.

We will see you in good health.

Yours most sincerely. Elvis Costello

Please check elviscostello.com for these and other festival dates in Ireland, Holland and Belgium and look out for the announcement of a series of special presentations by the Imposters later in 2016.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
krm

Post by krm »

VonOfterdingen wrote:His concert schedule have been crazy the last 10 years. I had tickets for the cancelled Malmö show and now the one in Aalborg. Once in Hamburg he was pretty hoarse (and had cancelled a few shows prior) and once in Copenhagen (summer 2010) he should have left the building before the show started instead of 70 minutes of croaking whispering. Many (younger) bands who plays shorter shows doesnt play 3 nights in a row in 3 different countries. I love that he plays so many shows but...
The story of my life! That tivoli gig in 2010 was the worst I have seen him perform. On the other hand EC substituted for Shane MacGowan that night in Malmö 1985 when the Pogues were here. I have to make some new plans for seeing a gig this year.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

The Tower of London show in 2007 falls within the fights j should have ducked category.

I'm now intrigued about the series of presentations later on in the year. Let's hope they're in England!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

krm wrote:
VonOfterdingen wrote:His concert schedule have been crazy the last 10 years. I had tickets for the cancelled Malmö show and now the one in Aalborg. Once in Hamburg he was pretty hoarse (and had cancelled a few shows prior) and once in Copenhagen (summer 2010) he should have left the building before the show started instead of 70 minutes of croaking whispering. Many (younger) bands who plays shorter shows doesnt play 3 nights in a row in 3 different countries. I love that he plays so many shows but...
The story of my life! That tivoli gig in 2010 was the worst I have seen him perform. On the other hand EC substituted for Shane MacGowan that night in Malmö 1985 when the Pogues were here. I have to make some new plans for seeing a gig this year.
Indeed. I will rather be without a concert than the Tivoli thing. But now it might be another 2-3 years.
I'm not buying my share of souvenirs
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

verbal gymnastics wrote:The Tower of London show in 2007 falls within the fights j should have ducked category.

I'm now intrigued about the series of presentations later on in the year. Let's hope they're in England!
Nooooooo, let's NOT!!! :twisted:
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

The dude (AKA The Man, AKA EC) needs to take it easy on the touring... It's almost too much touring. He needs to chill out and enjoy time with his family. This is not a good year to be or get sick! We need this guy to stick around for a long time and tour responsibly (for his health!). I hope the "special" Imposters presentation makes its way to the West Coast... say October... say Hardly Strictly Bluegrass 2016! I could use a free EC & Imposters show courtesy of the Hellman family. BRING IT (...or not... I'll take and pay for whatever I can get, actually)... Toodles - MOJO
InvisibleMan

Post by InvisibleMan »

I hope he will be fine in time for the May 25th gig in Padua. It would be the third time that I miss one of his shows, in fact I still have to see him live.
[Lost gigs, for various reasons: Correggio in 1994, and Verona around 2006].
io strombazzo!

Ombre nel sole
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

I must be the only one who enjoyed the Tower of London.

Elvis never seems to rest does he and he puts everything into a show. He really did struggle during Shipbuilding on Saturday although in a strange way it made it.

Have a break, have a holiday and come back fitter
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The Tower show was alright but it wasn't a patch on his show that a few of us saw in a dingy backstreet in Liverpool a few days earlier.