Elvis & Imposters, New Orleans Jazzfest, April 28, 2016

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis & Imposters, New Orleans Jazzfest, April 28, 2016

Post by johnfoyle »

https://twitter.com/Teleboy55/status/725360345435365376

Billy Thompson ‏@Teleboy55

So, we're walking down to the waterline... Low n behold, Pete Thomas, drummer for Elvis Costello great catching up!

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Interesting . A 'Pogue' will on the same stage as Elvis , a few hours earlier anyway.

http://lineup.nojazzfest.com/band/lost- ... ider-stacy
jmm

Post by jmm »

Opened with pl&u. Elvis wearing a purple hat with AT's picture on a pin at the front
I too am a limited, primitive kind of man
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Twitter:
Set up for @ElvisCostello & Imposters. Piano, 3 music stands for horns? Guess we'll have guests. :) #jazzfest2016

@funkybigsam to join @elviscostello @jazzfest #jazzfest2016 #bsfn
"...Peace, Love, & Understanding" into "...Detectives" right out of the gate. #ElvisCostello #NOJazzFest
"Mystery Dance" and "Radio Radio" wow he's really getting all the big hits out of the way huh #jazzfest2016
Steve Nieve on the grand piano for a nice rendition of "Flutter & Wow". #ElvisCostello #NOJazzFest
A few seconds of "Clubland":
https://www.instagram.com/p/BEwu_orTCAm/
#ElvisCostello digging deep into a fuzzed out Les Paul on "Sugar Won't Work".Forgot he's that good a lead player. #NOJazzFest
Honoring his pal Alan Toussaint w/ an acoustic "Ascension Day". #ElvisCostello #NOJazzFest
Seeing Elvis Costello perform Chelsea at JazzFest has made my life complete. And he forgot the lyrics! #worthit
#ElvisCostello with a very funky arrangement of "Every Day I Write The Book". "Funky" in a good way
#NOJazzFest
And No Coffee Table

Horn secrion of local guys for "Wake Me Up". #ElvisCostello #NOJazzFest

(But I bet it was "The River In Reverse" rather than "Wake Me Up.")
"Deep Dark Truthful Mirror" also going out to the late Alan Toussaint. #ElvisCostello #NOJazzFest
Last edited by And No Coffee Table on Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

I'll be shocked if Elvis does NOT play Prince, a week after his going! I have seen Elvis perform at least parts of FIVE of his songs. Would be nice for the crowd undoubtedly.
And No Coffee Table

Periscope link with "Bedlam" and "Who's Gonna Help Brother Get Further":
https://www.periscope.tv/w/afFG4zg5NzI0 ... q0hVLAdYeU

more "Bedlam":
https://www.instagram.com/p/BEw1W-To-AY/
Yay!!!!!!! Pump it up!! @ElvisCostello #jazzfest2016

And No Coffee Table

Setlist from a friend:

01. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
02. Watching The Detectives
03. Mystery Dance
04. Radio, Radio
05. Flutter & Wow
06. Beyond Belief
07. Clubland
08. Sugar Won't Work
09. Ascension Day - EC solo
10. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
11. Everyday I Write The Book
12. The River In Reverse - with Crescent City Horns
13. Wonder Woman - with Crescent City Horns
14. Deep Dark Truthful Mirror - with Crescent City Horns
15. I Cried My Last Tear - with Bob Andrews & Crescent City Horns
16. Bedlam - with Crescent City Horns
17. Who's Gonna Help Brother Get Further? - with Crescent City Horns
18. Pump It Up - with Crescent City Horns
And No Coffee Table

https://www.facebook.com/114725565853/p ... permPage=1
No big Deal. Just got Elvis Costello playing our little piano @chickiewahwahnola if you miss this you're crazy #nola #music #jazzfest #chickiewahwah #elviscostello @stuftstream

Chickie Wah Wah's website has Austin de Lone and Bill Kirchen playing tonight.
And No Coffee Table

http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com/en ... n-fond-set

Elvis Costello remembers late Allen Toussaint, shares fond memories at Jazz Fest

KEITH SPERA| KSPERA@THEADVOCATE.COM
April 28, 2016; 8:33 p.m.

Allen Toussaint was on Elvis Costello’s brain Thursday at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival — literally. Costello closed the Gentilly Stage wearing a purple Kangol-style cap decorated with a button that bore the likeness of a beaming Toussaint.

The Toussaint emblem prominently adorned Costello’s forehead for the entirety of the set, much of which was, as expected, a de facto tribute to his late friend and collaborator

It played out under threatening gray clouds that held back their rain; Costello dodged a meteorological bullet. Acts earlier in the day weren’t so fortunate.

A hard rain pummeled the Fair Grounds around lunchtime, sending attendees scurrying for the performance tents. The rainwater drained sufficiently so the festival could proceed without interruption. But those who stuck around, or came midafternoon after the rains had passed, dodged lingering puddles and muddy bogs, especially toward the front of the Acura Stage field.

It was unofficially Guitar Day at Acura. Following south Louisiana’s Sonny Landreth, Gary Clark Jr., of Austin, Texas, presided over a brooding, ominous set of power-blues.

He was followed by the Tedeschi Trucks Band. Across the first 20 minutes of their set, Susan Tedeschi testified in a burnished voice reminiscent of Bonnie Raitt’s as her husband, guitarist Derek Trucks, turned out the sort of fleet, Southern blues and boogie with which he revitalized the latter-day Allman Brothers Band.

At the opposite end of the Fair Grounds, Costello charged onto the Gentilly Stage semi-incognito in wire-rim sunglasses instead of his trademark thick plastic frames. His usual fedora was replaced by the aforementioned cap; the purple hue may or may not have been a subtle salute to the recently departed Prince.

Costello was not subtle about his desire to pay tribute to Toussaint. He and his three Imposters barreled through two of their classics right off the bat: “(What’s So Funny ’Bout) Peace Love and Understanding” and “Watching the Detectives,” as if they wanted to dispense with their own mandatory songs in order to get to Toussaint’s.

“How the devil are ya?” Costello said by way of introduction.

With drummer Pete Thomas pushing them along, Costello directed Steve Nieve between organ and grand piano as he handled the guitar duties himself. His clenched rasp maybe a little raspier than usual, he roughed up the guitar passages, playing with more gusto than finesse.

That changed 35 minutes into the proceeding, when he strapped on an acoustic guitar and took a moment to reflect. He recalled how, barely four months after Hurricane Katrina, with a curfew in place and military Humvees still patrolling the streets of New Orleans, he and Toussaint recorded much of their “The River in Reverse” album in Bywater.

“Allen looked around,” Costello said, “and he had such a gracious attitude about it. It made me think about everything you all had lost.”

Duly inspired, Costello wrote new lyrics for Toussaint’s minor-key reinvention of the Professor Longhair classic “Tipitina.” They titled the result “Ascension Day.”

Toussaint wouldn’t say he didn’t like something in the studio. As Costello recalled, “He would say, ‘Well ... what do YOU think of that?’ ” He would leave it to the other party to reconsider the error of his ways.

Costello performed “Ascension Day” during a solo show at the Civic Theater in March 2015, with Toussaint in the house — only eight months before Toussaint died of a heart attack while on tour in Spain. Costello “took the precaution of taking out all the difficult chords. I was waiting for him to say, ‘Well ... what did YOU think of that?’ ”

Instead, “he said, ‘Most interesting.’ I’ll take that as a ‘yes.’ ”

With that, Costello finger-picked his way through a hushed “Ascension Day” at Jazz Fest.

He would not stay hushed for long. He and the band took care of a bit more Imposters business via fully amped versions of “(I Don’t Want to Go To) Chelsea” and “Everyday I Write the Book.”

For the rest of the show, it was Toussaint time.

Following the 2006 release of “The River in Reverse,” Toussaint and Costello toured the world together, two especially dapper songwriters demonstrating that their joint project was a genuine collaboration and not simply a gimmick.

They brought along a New Orleans horn section dubbed the Crescent City Horns. Those horns reunited with Costello onstage at Jazz Fest on Thursday: trumpeter Joe Fox and saxophonist Amadee Castenell, who spent years backing Toussaint as members of the funk band Chocolate Milk; saxophonist Brian “Breeze” Cayolle, a longtime member of Toussaint’s latter-day band; and trombonist “Big” Sam Williams, who sat in with Pearl Jam during Jazz Fest’s first weekend.

The Crescent City Horns kicked the set up a notch, or three, starting with “The River in Reverse” title track. They pumped up that album’s “Wonder Woman” and “Deep Dark Truthful Mirror,” from Costello’s 1989 album “Spike,” to which Toussaint contributed.

Organist Bob Andrews joined in for the classic New Orleans rhythm and blues ballad “I Have Cried My Last Tear,” which sounded right at home in Costello and company’s hands.

“Who’s Gonna Help Brother Get Further,” a vintage Toussaint tune resurrected for “The River in Reverse,” swung.

With ominous clouds and the clock closing in, at least a couple of songs were cut. The setlists on the stage indicated Costello planned to do his classic ballad “Alison,” along with “I Can’t Stand Up” and/or “High Fidelity.”

Instead, they plunged directly into a celebratory “Pump It Up,” finishing right on time and on a high note. Toussaint would have approved.

http://www.nola.com/jazzfest/index.ssf/ ... um=twitter

Elvis Costello, Beyond Belief at the Gentilly Stage, Jazz Fest 2016

By Doug MacCash, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune
on April 28, 2016 at 9:31 PM, updated April 28, 2016 at 10:16 PM

Elvis Costello, the acidly articulate British rocker, came out thrashing Thursday on Jazz Fest's Gentilly Stage, scrubbing his Stratocaster like it was the Reagan/Thatcher era once more. Brows knit, a thin bemused smile on his unshaven face, wearing a Beetlejuice striped jacket, and furiously chewing gum like John Lennon, he blasted through "What's So Funny About Peace Love and Understanding (by Nick Lowe)" "Watching the Detectives," "Mystery Dance," and "Radio, Radio;" four of the brilliantly bitter masterpieces that made him a New Wave 1980s icon, with barely a break between.

Behind him were two of his three original band mates, Steve Nieve on keyboards and Pete Thomas on drums, who, with bassist Davey Faragher, laid down the insistent, serrated sounds that allowed Costello to theatrically vamp, mug, croon, toy with an electric megaphone/siren and issue abrupt, aggressive guitar licks with abandon.

The only good thing about Thursday's (April 28) gully washer that turned parts of the Fairgrounds to the texture of oatmeal, was that it thinned the crowd. So much so that dedicated E.C. fans could easily ferret their way to the fence that surrounds the Boardwalk-Park Place, high rent section in front of the stage.
It's raining so hard, Jazz Fest 2016, Thursday (April 28) Sorry to report that at roughly noon on Thursday (April 28), as Irma Thomas might have put it: "It's Rainin' So Hard."

Costello wore a purple beret that may very well have been a tribute to Costello's contemporary, Prince.

Pinned to the beret was button bearing the face of the late New Orleans pianist and composer Allen Toussaint.

Costello, 61, has had a long affinity for New Orleans. Old timers might recall that when he played a concert at Frank Ghery's riverfront amphitheater during the 1984 World's Fair, he admitted to the audience that he'd shamelessly borrowed the bass line from Allen Toussaint's "Working in a Coal Mine" for use in his own ironically bouncy "Sour Milk Cow Blues."

His devotion to the Crescent City became most emphatic after Hurricane Katrina, when he teamed with his hero Toussaint to produce an album of songs and a concert tour inspired by the city's recovery struggle. The rocker's affection for Toussaint was obvious Thursday as he shared anecdotes about his work with the great, Socratic Crescent City pianist and composer, who never criticized, Costello said, only pointedly questioned the rock star's errant musical decisions.

In the middle section of the show, Costello performed songs from their collaboration, including the soaring "Ascension Day" and "Who's Gonna Help Brother Get Further," backed by the Crescent City Horns. He also covered Toussaint's "I Cried My Last Tear."

As smoky clouds darkened the Mid-City sky, and mud oozed beneath rain boots, Costello offered up a throbbing version of the ever existential "Beyond Belief" (my personal favorite) the menacing rhumba "Club Land," the bleak "I Don't Want to Go To Chelsea," the introspective "Deep Dark Truthful Mirror," and the strangely sprightly "Every Day I Write the Book" (has a better pop lyric ever been penned?).

For many audience members, Costello will always be beloved for expressing the angst and outrage of youth with musical craftsmanship that has stood the test of time. And Thursday proved that his stage persona has stood the test of time as well, blending a sense of mature gentlemanliness with a certain un-extinguished wickedness.

The adrenalized anthem "Pump It Up" was the closer. Bravo El.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

https://twitter.com/jonaschartock/statu ... 1371586560

Jonas Chartock ‏@jonaschartock

The one & only @ElvisCostello just played w the killer @preshallband at @PresHall. #Wow #OnlyInNewOrleans #NOLA

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Bob Andrew
's friend Sandi Bodge shares this backstage photo from New Orleans

Elvis & Bob go back a bit - here they are in the Nashville Room, London , May 1977

Arbogast

Post by Arbogast »

WHERE'S THE VIDEO???
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.glidemagazine.com/160291/jaz ... -thursday/

Jazz Fest 2016: Elvis Costello, Gary Clark Jr., Brandi Carlile, Tedeschi Trucks Band Highlight Thursday

(...)
But it was Elvis Costello who shined the brightest. Opening with “(What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love & Understanding” and rollicking through a setlist of hits and an homage to the late Allen Toussaint, who passed away last November and was the soul of Jazz Fest. It was well worth the wait.

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Some of the show should be on the radio today

http://www.axs.tv/festival/jazzfest/

Or is it on TV ?

Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

johnfoyle wrote:Or is it on TV ?
It was.
Costello & The Imposters, straight out of the gate on the broadcast.

PLU
Deep Dark Truthful Mirror
Bedlam

I think that's it.
(I haven't actually watched it yet.)
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Dr. Luther wrote:
johnfoyle wrote:Or is it on TV ?
It was.
Costello & The Imposters, straight out of the gate on the broadcast.

PLU
Deep Dark Truthful Mirror
Bedlam

I think that's it.
(I haven't actually watched it yet.)
I watched it and it's very cool. What's hanging over the stage monitor next to the Gibson Super 400? Some sort of soccer (aka football) scarf?

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

The scarf looks suspiciously like a West Ham United scarf (claret and blue) probably draped in memory of Milo , a devoted Hammers fan !
chickendinna

Post by chickendinna »

this performance sounds like a must hear, did anyone record it?
jmm

Post by jmm »

Didn't record it but it was a very good, heartfelt show.

EC's voice was a little thought on the ballads but no big deal. Really great to hear him with the imposters again, not to mention CC hits and AB too

Rainy day again for the AT tribute today
I too am a limited, primitive kind of man
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Some screencaps -