johnfoyle

Elvis (solo) plays Eugene, OR , April 16 2016

Post by johnfoyle »

Who's going ?
And No Coffee Table

Re: Elvis (solo) plays Eugene, OR , April 16 2016

Post by And No Coffee Table »

https://twitter.com/ecsongbysong/status ... 8867964928
Another new one: “They Call Me Mrs. Lonesome,” Eugene, 4/16/16.

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Setlist from wiki: http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... -16_Eugene

01. King Horse
02. Mystery Dance
03. Accidents Will Happen
04. Ascension Day
05. Church Underground
06. Everyday I Write The Book
07. I Want You
08. 45
09. Mexican Divorce - including Another Brick In The Wall (Part II)
10. Hang On To A Dream (Tim Hardin Cover)
11. A Face In The Crowd
12. Walkin' My Baby Back Home
13. Ghost Train
14. Watching The Detectives
Encore 1
15. Pads, Paws And Claws - with Larkin Poe
16. Blame It On Cain - with Larkin Poe
17. Love Field - with Larkin Poe
18. Burn The Paper Down To Ash - with Larkin Poe, sung by Rebecca Lovell
19. Vitajex - with Larkin Poe, EC on ukulele
20. They Call Me Mrs. Lonesome - with Larkin Poe
21. Brilliant Mistake - with Larkin Poe
Encore 2
22. Alison - inside the TV
23. Pump It Up - inside the TV
Encore 3
24. Side By Side - on piano
25. I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down
26. Jimmie Standing In The Rain
27. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding? - with Larkin Poe

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

What a great sign of confidence in letting Rebecca Lovell take the lead on a new song.

Also a great opener and the 2nd ever playing of the Tim Hardin song.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Mrs Lonesome? She must be married to herself. Perhaps she is a single-celled animal called Amoeba, I mean, Amelia.. (Haha... I am hear all week folks... Or not.. )
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

http://www.dailyemerald.com/2016/04/17/ ... te-detour/

Review: Elvis Costello visits McDonald Theatre for intimate ‘Detour’
Craig Wright — April 17, 2016 at 11:57 am

Elvis Costello made a trip to Eugene’s McDonald Theatre on Saturday night, April 16 as a part of his “Detour” tour. The solo tour featured Costello deconstructing his songs and taking a new approach to each.

What made this show truly different than the standard concert was the storytelling. It’s well known that Costello is a brilliant songwriter, but almost every song was accompanied by a story which was crafted as carefully as the songs. It felt like an intimate conversation with Costello with the sold-out crowd absorbing every word.

The audience held rapt attention and stayed silent for the entirety of the concert. Every dropped cup and chair squeak pierced the still sound. Often, Costello would step away from the microphone and sing acapella, showing off both the power of his voice and the venue’s great acoustics. His voice remained crystal clear at the back of the theatre.

Throughout the show he thanked his father and grandfather, both musicians, for paving the way to his becoming a performer. His father was a radio star and a performer in the sixties, and even performed at the Royal Variety Performance show when John Lennon made his infamous “rattle your jewelry” comment to Queen Elizabeth.

Costello recalled his first professional gig when he played guitar for his father as a “17-year-old know-it-all.” The pianist intentionally gave him the wrong notes with which to tune, and right before the curtain rose, his father turned to him and said, “Don’t fuck this up.” When he realized his guitar was out of tune, he killed the volume and proceeded to play a convincing air guitar.

The funniest story of the night was about a cab driver whom Costello had briefly fallen in love with during an early U.S. tour. They decided to drive to Mexico on a whim (“before there was a wall or anything”), and the breaking point of the relationship was when she said she wanted to find a radio station that played side two of Pink Floyd’s Dark Side Of The Moon in its entirety. He said he then returned to his motel room and wrote “Accidents Will Happen,” which he then played.

He even managed to sneak in a joke about Donald Trump’s little hands.

Alone on stage for most of the night, Costello stood in front of a large old school box TV with a screen that showed videos before the show, and photos during. For the second (of three) encore, the screen parted and Costello performed “Allison” and “Pump It Up” on a mini stage behind the curtain.

Costello invited opening act Larkin Poe to join him for the first encore and “(What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding.” The sister-duo from Georgia began the show with a 30-minute blues set, then provided beautiful backing vocals, mandolin and slide guitar for Costello.

In two hours and a quarter, Costello covered a large body of musical and emotional material. Songs ranged from the 1980 album Get Happy’s “I Can’t Stand Up For Falling Down” to songs about the devil, war and family. Hopefully he detours to Eugene again soon.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

It's interesting that this local account doesn't mention the Tim Hardin cover. Perhaps it would have been too hard to contextualise in a brief way or maybe, sadly, Tim's heritage means so little in his home town that it was decided it wasn't worth reporting.
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

verbal gymnastics wrote: ...and the 2nd ever playing of the Tim Hardin song.
according to the wiki, the first known performance of "Hang On To A Dream" was May 31, 1989, Royal Albert Hall

a below average audience recording of that performance is linked below
"Hang On To A Dream" begins in progress - about one-third of song missing.
http://ia601901.us.archive.org/29/items ... ndonUK.mp3