Elvis (solo) plays Denver, CO, April 11th 2016 (2ND ROW TICKETS Available)

Pretty self-explanatory
kilyuradeo

Elvis (solo) plays Denver, CO, April 11th 2016 (2ND ROW TICKETS Available)

Post by kilyuradeo »

Who's going ?

Anyone want to buy my 2nd Row Tickets? I'd have to overnight them to you. I'll gladly listen to any and all offers.
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis (solo) plays Denver, CO, April 11th 2016 (2ND ROW TICKETS Available)

Post by johnfoyle »

Hopefully these tickets were sold.
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Preview in the Denver Post on 8 April 2016.

"Best shows: Father John Misty, Elvis Costello and Residual Kid

Elvis Costello -- Paramount Theatre, April 11

Instead of learning to love a new album, this tour has Elvis Costello waxing nostalgic over his catalog. Hot off the release of his memoir, Unfaithful Music & Disappearing Ink, Costello's so-called Detour shows are a chance for the artist to flesh out the highs and lows of his lengthy career. Mostly solo, he'll be accompanied by a TV, to help him flesh out the tale of, say, his infamous 1977 performance of "Radio Radio" on SNL, and sister combo Larkin Poe, who'll serve as opener and occasional backing band. Catch them at the Paramount on April 11. Tickets are $49.50-$79.50 and available via altitudetickets.com."

MOOT
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Via Charles Martin /f/book

And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Thanks to Charles for the setlist.

01. Lipstick Vogue
02. I Hope You're Happy Now
03. Accidents Will Happen
04. Ascension Day
05. Church Underground
06. 45
07. Radio Soul
08. Matter Of Time - on piano
09. Shipbuilding - on piano
10. Side By Side - on piano
11. Mexican Divorce - including Another Brick In The Wall (Part II) - on piano
12. Everyday I Write The Book
13. Walkin' My Baby Back Home - seated
14. Ghost Train - seated
15. When I Was Cruel No. 2 - seated
16. Watching The Detectives
17. Pads, Paws And Claws - with Larkin Poe
18. Nothing Clings Like Ivy - with Larkin Poe
19. Clown Strike - with Larkin Poe
20. That's Not The Part Of Him You're Leaving - with Larkin Poe
21. Blame It On Cain - with Larkin Poe
22. Down On The Bottom - with Larkin Poe
23. Alison - inside the TV
24. Less Than Zero - inside the TV
25. Pump It Up - inside the TV
26. Jimmie Standing In The Rain - including Brother, Can You Spare A Dime?
27. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding? - with Larkin Poe
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

More from Charles Martin -

FrankieJ

Post by FrankieJ »

I think Elvis not wearing a hat will be the biggest surprise for me when his show hits London.

I shouldn't be checking out his US setlists though... I'm becoming too familiar with it. Don't want to be able to predict the entire thing once I get to see him. Hopefully it will change a little bit by then.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

FrankieJ wrote:I think Elvis not wearing a hat will be the biggest surprise for me when his show hits London.

I shouldn't be checking out his US setlists though... I'm becoming too familiar with it. Don't want to be able to predict the entire thing once I get to see him. Hopefully it will change a little bit by then.
I can guarantee you will never be able to predict the entire thing.

Who'd have thought that on last year's tour Elvis would play one offs of Please Release Me and Kid (amongst others) in the UK, as well as, say, If you gotta go, go now (or else you gotta stay all night) in the US.

He's also pulled out a few one night only songs on this tour.

If you predict any of his sets correctly then you are a genius. Or Elvis himself.

As far as his hat is concerned, he'll probably have to put it back on as it can be notoriously cold in London in May. He might be OK in Warwick though.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.westword.com/music/theres-no ... ng-7794206

There's Nothing Phony About Elvis Costello's Sincerity, Love and Understanding

TUESDAY, APRIL 12, 2016

BY TOM MURPHY

With a stage set like a mythical rendition of childhood in the ’50s and ’60s, including a giant TV center stage and radio studio lights on either side, Elvis Costello spent a full two hours presenting an autobiographical, retrospective performance piece with music rather than anything like a conventional concert. The show featured Costello on stage with a brace of acoustic guitars to choose from; later in the set, he was joined by opening act Larkin Poe for several songs.

The show carried an air of deep nostalgia — but in the best sense. Some of us in the audience grew up with Costello's music, some of us got through difficult times with the help of his sensitive and emotionally refined songwriting and some probably fell in love with his soundtrack. Costello lived the music: Even when using his imagination, he drew from his grandfather's experiences. The emotional truth and honesty of his songs seemed especially immediate without much, if anything, in the way of a backing band.

Between songs, Costello liberally shared anecdotes from his life along with images projected on the TV screen. Interestingly, none of the images were of himself from any point in his career, thus cementing the focus on the subjects themselves, whether a person or a situation. Costello gently cracked wise with a witty, easy self-deprecation. In the middle of relating a story about his father, a man who sang hits of the day on the radio for a living, Costello told us that at one point, his father went from looking like a clean-cut man in classic ’50s style to taking on a visual style akin to that of Peter Sellers in What's New Pussycat? Then he added, “For some of you younger people, like Austin Powers.”

You couldn't help but be touched by Costello's story of his grandfather, Pat MacManus. From being a childhood horn player to being roped in to serve in France during WWI (where he was wounded and spent the rest of the war recovering) to going on to sing for the wealthy and privileged and ultimately giving it up, Pat had it hard. Costello expressed gratitude for his own ability to make his life as a songwriter and performer, carrying on his grandfather's dream. This provided context for his joke that he comes from a long line of really impractical people.

During the show, Costello used different arrangements for familiar favorites like "Radio Radio," playing it down-tempo. He performed inside the TV set for "Alison," “Less Than Zero” and “Pump It Up," using an electric guitar and giving the songs a punk feel with frayed tonal edges and heightened energy. In the context of the whole show, that moment highlighted the other styles of music that Costello has played. He was never fully punk, but the snarl and incisive lyrics made his earliest albums fit into that world. While having roots in pub rock at night and being a computer operator by day, Costello has carved a niche for himself in which he can collaborate with some of popular music's greatest artists, such as master pop songwriter Burt Bacharach (whose “Mexican Divorce” he performed), his late friend and R&B legend Allen Toussaint, or Brian Eno, to name but a few. That versatility was on display all evening. Without having to rub your face in it, Costello crafted a set that took us not only on a journey through his life in music, but also through the lives of his family and friends.

But the show wasn't all quiet, thoughtful moments and jokes. Costello was in high spirits, and when he was joined by Atlanta-based opening act Larkin Poe, whose own soul-Americana set was worthy on its own, it looked like he had rediscovered his youthful joy in playing the music — and that always elevates the performance of a veteran musician. Rebecca Lovell's lively vocal delivery and Megan Lovell's slide-guitar mastery truly augmented already great songs.

Even with minimal set changes from playing piano, standing while playing with guitar, sitting down playing guitar in the "disguise" of a hat and a pair of fake glasses and a fake nose, with or without the Lovell sisters — the whole affair gave Costello an accessibility that translated to the backstage area. A few of us unexpectedly got backstage passes before the show and got to meet Costello. Sometimes you're disappointed to find your heroes are not who you hope they are, but Costello was the same friendly, gracious person post-show that he seemed to be on stage when it could have been an act. Turns out that with Costello, the music is a performance, but the humanity and sincerity are not.

Set List

1. Lipstick Vogue
2. I Hope You're Happy Now
3. Accidents Will Happen
4. Ascension Day
5. Church Underground
6. 45
7. Radio Radio
8. Matter of Time
9. Shipbuilding
10. Side By Side [Harry M. Woods cover]
11. Mexican Divorce [Burt Bacharach cover]
12. Another Brick in the Wall (Part 2) [Pink Floyd cover woven on to end of Mexican Divorce]
13. Everyday I Write the Book
14. Walkin' My Baby Back Home
15. Ghost Train
16. Watching the Detectives
17. Pads, Paws and Claws
18. Nothing Clings Like Ivy
19. Clown Strike
20. That's Not the Part of Him You're Leaving
21. Blame It on Cain
22. Down on the Bottom
23. Alison
24. Less Than Zero
25. Pump It Up
26. Jimmie Standing in the Rain
27. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.heyreverb.com/blog/2016/04/1 ... re/116048/

Photos by John Leyba , including -

blureu

Post by blureu »

Loving that jacket.
cwr

Post by cwr »

What does his solo version of "Lipstick Vogue" sound like? I don't think I've ever heard him do this one solo, was he doing this solo back in 1984, or is this a relatively new solo arrangement?
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

cwr wrote:What does his solo version of "Lipstick Vogue" sound like? I don't think I've ever heard him do this one solo, was he doing this solo back in 1984, or is this a relatively new solo arrangement?
intro / Lipstick Vogue - https://youtu.be/-NzwxNt1ZgY?t=97
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

More from Charles -

blureu

Post by blureu »

Love this intro/first song with all the pics!

Azmuda wrote:
cwr wrote:What does his solo version of "Lipstick Vogue" sound like? I don't think I've ever heard him do this one solo, was he doing this solo back in 1984, or is this a relatively new solo arrangement?
intro / Lipstick Vogue - https://youtu.be/-NzwxNt1ZgY?t=97
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Promo interview for the concert in Paris on TV-station France2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne-WgTVOTTE (partly filmed in Denver).
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.