Elvis (solo) plays Riverside, CA, April 5th 2016

Post by johnfoyle »

johnfoyle

Re: Elvis (solo) plays Riverside, CA, April 5th 2016

Post by johnfoyle »

woz

Post by woz »

I'm going but must admit to being a little tired. So glad to have seen the past 3 shows in SoCal as the songs sound amazing. Elvis never ceases to amaze me.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

So he has to perform "April 5th," right?
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

And No Coffee Table wrote:So he has to perform "April 5th," right?
My money's on "May 17th."
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Via Bill Aho/F/book

Via George Bross /F/book

Mellisa Russo/F/book

And No Coffee Table

01. Watching The Detectives
02. I Hope You're Happy Now
03. Accidents Will Happen
04. Ascension Day
05. Church Underground
06. Everyday I Write The Book
07. 45
08. Matter Of Time - on piano
09. Almost Blue - on piano
10. Walkin' My Baby Back Home - seated
11. Ghost Train - seated
12. Wave A White Flag - seated
13. When I Was Cruel No. 2 - seated
14. Less Than Zero
Encore 1
15. Pads, Paws And Claws - with Larkin Poe
16. Love Field - with Larkin Poe
17. Clown Strike - with Larkin Poe
18. That's Not The Part Of Him You're Leaving - with Larkin Poe
19. Blame It On Cain - with Larkin Poe
20. TV Is The Thing (This Year) - with Larkin Poe
Encore 2
21. Alison - inside the TV
22. Pump It Up - inside the TV
Encore 3
23. Side By Side - on piano
24. I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down - on piano
25. Green Shirt
26. Mystery Dance
27. (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
Encore 4
28. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding? - with Larkin Poe

EC was unmistakably preparing to play "Jimmie Standing In The Rain" when he instead decided to honor a shouted request for "Green Shirt." He never returned to "Jimmie."
And No Coffee Table

Woz got the stage setlist. "April 5th" was NOT played despite appearing on it.

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Image Image

Photos by TERRY PIERSON

http://www.pe.com/articles/elvis-799040 ... tello.html

RIVERSIDE: Elvis Costello makes Fox stop memorable

April 6th, 2016

by VANESSA FRANKO

Like Etta James singing on the steps on the Riverside County courthouse or Rage Against the Machine playing to people hanging from the rafters at The Barn, Elvis Costello’s show at the Fox Performing Arts Center Tuesday night instantly became part of Riverside’s musical history.

Since the Fox reopened six years ago after a $32 million renovation from the city, there have been few shows that have fulfilled the venue’s potential to woo big names -- Sheryl Crow’s opening weekend performances in 2010 and Steve Martin and the Steep Canyon Rangers’ PBS filming in 2013 were the most memorable before Costello came to town.

And while the Fox has snagged big dance tours, Costello is the highest profile musician Live Nation has booked since taking over operations in December 2013.

The Fox, beloved by musicians and fans alike for its acoustics and sight lines, was the right venue for Costello’s intimate stop on his “Detour” run. Most of the time he was on stage by himself -- except when joined by opening act Larkin Poe, but I’ll get to that in a minute -- performing on the guitar or at a piano in front of a giant TV set that showed pictures matching up with the stories Costello told.

Whether he was picking the intricate “When I Was Cruel No. 2” on an acoustic guitar or rocking out with the fuzz of “Pump It Up,” Costello proved that without a band, he could fill the room with sound.

He opened the show in silhouette, his hair sticking up in that Elvis Costello way, and as he performed “Watching the Detectives,” it didn’t sound like the song had aged in the 39 years since its original release.

However, as he continued through the early part of the set, some notes seemed just out of reach on “Accidents Will Happen” and “Everyday I Write the Book.” He made a comment about breathing in too much L.A. air, but that vocal vulnerability lent an even greater authenticity to the show that spanned his prolific career.

The focus of the evening was Costello as a storyteller, not through with his songs, but with the memories he shared with the audience. He spoke of the first hotel room he stayed in when he arrived in America (a Howard Johnson’s in Mill Valley with a color TV), how Costello’s father went from big band to being a hippie and what it was like to record with the late, great New Orleans songwriter Allen Toussaint.

Injected throughout the night was Costello’s razor-sharp wit. (His best quote: “Increasingly, performance has become bloodsport.”) And watching Costello banter on stage just reiterated that someone should revive his television show, “Spectacle.”

While the intimate moments with Costello were enjoyable, it was Costello’s collaborations with Larkin Poe that elicited goosebumps.

Sisters Rebecca Lovell and Megan Lovell opened the show with powerful bluesy roots rock via a mandolin, kick drum, guitar and a lap steel and perfect harmonies, before joining Costello for the second section of a set that clocked in at two hours and change.

Megan Lovell’s lap steel added a new dimension to some of Costello’s most beloved songs and Rebecca Lovell’s harmonies all but erased Costello’s earlier vocal troubles.

The three were reunited at the end of the third and final encore, a rousing rendition of “(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding?” that was so good, Costello should recast all of his classic albums with the Attractions by re-recording them with Larkin Poe.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

"Costello's earlier vocal troubles"?

Not already?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.musicnewsnashville.com/elvis ... e-concert/

Elvis Costello and Larkin Poe in Concert

April 11, 2016

by Dan Harr

Elvis Costello sure wastes no time sending fans into a frenzy.

On April 5, the British rock veteran opened the 2 hour, 20-minute show at Riverside’s Fox Performing Arts Center with “Watching the Detectives,” one of his best known tunes and first UK top 20 single in 1977. Strolling out onto the stage with an electric guitar, Costello was shrouded in darkness as he looped the eerie reverb-drenched sounds. It was stunning as ever.

This solo Detour live jaunt had a brief US run last spring before heading abroad (The Liverpool stop was documented on a recent Eagle Vision DVD; also reviewed here). Finally making its way to Southern California, the concert setup found Costello deftly utilizing acoustic and electric guitars and piano. He occasionally told stories as a large old school TV projection backdrop rotated family and career-related photos, plus lyrics and related images).

Before a fast and frenetic “Accidents Will Happen,” Costello described his first American tour, staying at a Howard Johnson and marveling at all the amenities uncommon back home. “In those days, I tried to rid the world of alcohol…by drinking it all,” he said. Then the singer/songwriter humorously relayed the one-night stand lyrical inspiration, familiar to those who read the 2015 autobiography Unfaithful Music & Disappearing Ink. “I wanted to listen to The Buzzcocks on the radio, she wanted Pink Floyd,” he recalled.

Although it took the voice a little while to warm up, Costello was in fine form during “Church Underground” (off 2010’s T Bone Burnett-produced “National Ransom”) and a laid back “Everyday I Write the Book.” For the latter, he joked about hating the song “because it only took 10 minutes to write and was a hit.” The audience engaged in some call and response action and vigorously cheered.

Moving over to a piano Costello claimed to have borrowed from wife Diana Krall, he described an early job as a computer programmer and brought some measured drama to Los Lobos’ “A Matter of Time.” That drew the first of many standing ovations.

For the first encore section, opening act Larkin Poe joined on mandolin and lap steel. The sibling duo truly electrified the proceedings, especially on a vibrant “Pads, Paws and Claws” and “Clown Strike,” where they added doo wop-styled backing vocals. Their harmonies during “Love Field” made it even more heavenly and helped make it a standout. Another came via “Blame it on Cain,” where the gals were obviously having a blast. Everyone clapped along to Costello’s rocking take on Dinah Washington’s 1953 R&B hit, “TV is the Thing This Year.”

The next encore found Costello playing an affecting solo electric guitar version of “Alison” inside the large TV and the dirty guitar rave up “Pump it Up” was memorable – even without a full band. Back on piano, Costello gave a passionate, gospel-type reading to “I Can’t Stand Up for Falling Down” and it was amazing. More audience participation arrived amid a fun “(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes.” Larkin Poe returned for the final number, a punchy, bluegrass-leaning “(What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding.”

Earlier, Rebecca and Megan Lovell kicked off the evening with an impressive half hour set of blues-inflected Americana tunes off their album “Reskinned,” due out April 15. “Don’t,” a self-described “girl power anthem,” featured strong harmonies. “When God Closes a Door” was definitely intense, especially with Rebecca providing a single kick drum beat. The stark tone of “Blunt,” about the Georgia sisters’ view of the world right now, proved intriguing. Gritty current single “Trouble in Mind” was a highlight. Larkin Poe capped everything off with a fine cover of the Sonny Bono-penned, Cher-sung “Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down),” making it their own with some added drama.