Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis (solo) plays Los Angeles, April 2 2016

Post by johnfoyle »

Who's going?
woz

Re: Elvis (solo) plays Los Angeles, April 2 2016

Post by woz »

I will be there and looking forward to it.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Setlist:

01. Complicated Shadows
02. (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
03. Accidents Will Happen
04. Ascension Day
05. Church Underground
06. Blue Chair
07. Two Little Hitlers
08. Matter Of Time - on piano
09. I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down - on piano
10. Walkin' My Baby Back Home - seated
11. Ghost Train - seated
12. When I Was Cruel No. 2 - seated
13. Watching The Detectives
14. When I Write The Book - including Everyday I Write The Book
15. It's Not My Time To Go - on piano
Encore 1
16. Pads, Paws And Claws - with Larkin Poe
17. Love Field - with Larkin Poe
18. Blame It On Cain - with Larkin Poe
19. That's Not The Part Of Him You're Leaving - with Larkin Poe
20. Down On The Bottom - with Larkin Poe
21. All The Rage - with Larkin Poe
Encore 2
22. Alison - inside the TV
23. Pump It Up - inside the TV
24. Side By Side
25. Jimmie Standing In The Rain - including Brother, Can You Spare A Dime?
26. Shipbuilding - on piano
27. Oliver's Army
28. The Scarlet Tide - with Larkin Poe
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Robert Zick , F/book

verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Two little Hitlers 8)
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

He's bound to do that at the last night at the Palladium when he does 40 + songs!
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1/ar ... -86428066/

Elvis Costello takes (mostly) solo Detour to L.A.'s ACE Hotel

Think of Elvis Costello’s new round of solo performances not so much as a concert tour than as multimedia bonus content for his recently published autobiography, “Unfinished Music & Disappearing Ink.”

The show he delivered Saturday at the Theater at ACE Hotel, the first of two sold-out nights at the downtown L.A. venue, dovetails beautifully with his book, giving his audience anecdotes from his life both disarmingly revealing and often uproariously funny.

For nearly two hours, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee moved between three main posts on the elaborate Detour stage setup, the main piece being a gigantic replica of the ancient Lupe-O-Tone television set he watched growing up in Liverpool in the late ’50s and early ’60s.

As he spoke and sang, images flashed behind him on the screen, shots of his mother, his father, his grandparents and other family members as well as snaps from various periods of his own childhood, adolescence and adult life as one of the most prolific and respected singers and songwriters of the post-Baby Boomer rock generation.

In fact, his portion of the evening began not with the man himself but with the 2005 music video for his version of New Orleans musician Dave Bartholomew’s classic treatise on human nature, “The Monkey (Speaks His Mind)".

There’s a certain rumor that just can’t be true
That man descended from our noble race
Why, the very idea is a big disgrace
No monkey ever deserted his wife
Starved her baby and ruined her life

That set the tone for Costello’s multifaceted exploration of one man’s foibles in life, and his wish to live up to his better nature despite his many failures to do so.

Explaining the name he picked for this road show, Detour, he deadpanned, "Where I come from, when people would ask 'Where you going?' the answer was always 'We're going on de tour."

Recounting an early visit to U.S. shores, when he was still shorthanded in the music press as England’s “angry young man,” Costello said, “I was on a mission then to rid the world of alcohol — by drinking it.”

Four decades down the line, he has a different perspective on how he’s living out his life, now as the husband of jazz pianist, singer and songwriter Diana Krall and the father of three, a new point of view reflected musically in rearranged renditions of his old songs, like the reflective, acoustic-guitar-backed version of “(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes.”

As if his own songs aren’t lyrically dense enough, snippets of lyrics from other songs and poetry often materialized behind him further packing ideas into various numbers, much like CNN’s constant barrage of information is testament to today’s ADHD TV audience.

Over the course of the evening, he literally moved from a whisper to a scream, making the most of the dynamic possibilities of the solo format from delicately nuanced songs on which he played lightly on an acoustic parlor guitar through rockers in which he channeled that youthful anger of auld while bashing away on one of his amplified hollow-body electric instruments.

He also moved to piano for a few songs, quipping that he’d borrowed the instrument from his wife for the evening. In one, he served up a lovely free-floating rendition of Los Lobos’ “A Matter of Time,” particularly fitting for his L.A. tour stop.

Some of the most touching moments in the show were when he spoke of his parents, who split up when he was fairly young. Even though his father — big-band singer and trumpeter Ross McManus — left his mother to raise their children largely on her won, Costello clearly has retained great love and affection for him.

He told the ACE Hotel audience he owed his career as a musician — to say nothing of their shared penchant for horn-rimmed Buddy Holly eyewear — to his father, and toward the end of the night included a filmed performance of his father effusively singing the Pete Seeger-Lee Hays folk standard “If I Had a Hammer.”

For the encore segment, Costello brought out his opening act, Georgia duo Larkin Poe — sisters Rebecca and Megan Lovell, who had turned in a riveting performance of their own, showcasing their raw and hard-charging blues-rock.

With Rebecca adding mandolin and Megan wickedly wielding electric slide guitar, they helped flesh out a handful of songs, including 1989’s mercilessly self-recriminating "Pads, Paws and Claws”; a sharp-edged “Blame It On Cain” from his 1977 debut album' and “Down on the Bottom,” one of the ”lost” Bob Dylan songs that came to light with the New Basement Tapes project in 2014.

Larkin Poe’s second album, “Reskinned,” is due April 15, and the numbers they previewed on Saturday were packed with stripped-down emotional power. No wonder Costello keeps inviting them out on tour with him.

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Elvis Costello in concert at The Theatre at Ace Hotel in Los Angeles. [Photos: Chris Willman]

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/ ... um=twitter

Elvis Costello Tells Tales, Pumps Up Volume on Post-Memoir Solo Tour

4/3/2016

by Chris Willman

Reminiscing and raucousness take turns in a (mostly) one-man show that touched down for a sold-out engagement at L.A.'s Theatre at Ace Hotel.

Elvis Costello’s 2016 solo trek isn’t technically a “book tour.” He did one of those, replete with speaking engagements and signings, last fall when he published his memoir, Unfinished Music & Disappearing Ink. But the effects of writing and promoting that tome are felt throughout his part-scripted, part-freestyle “Detour” show, which takes into account that fans have to come to enjoy hearing Costello tell droll stories nearly as much as they like hearing him snarl and coo his way through one of the great songbooks of rock history.

Opening the first of two sold-out shows at L.A.’s Theatre at Ace Hotel Saturday (April 2) with “Complicated Shadows,” Costello had a montage of still photos playing on the giant mock television that dominated his stage design. Although it might have seemed odd to have old black-and-white photos of his ancestors alternating with lurid paperback covers and glamour shots of femmes fatale like Gloria Grahame, that slideshow provided an overture for the themes he’d consistently return to over the subsequent 140 minutes: family, sex, and war… and various combinations thereof.

“Solo show” is a pair of words that can strike fear into the hearts of music fans who prefer their rock rocking, but it’s fair to surmise the Attractions or Imposters were sorely missed by few, even on a volume level. Costello has a penchant for making even hollow-bodied guitars sound like distorted Les Pauls, making the lack of a rhythm section on a “Pump It Up” or “Watching the Detectives” seem incidental. Production design-wise, too, he’s careful to add elements of visual dynamism to the show, not just with that giant TV, but by moving between multiple standing or sitting points through the evening, finally ending up inside that television for an encore mini-set that becomes the lowest-budget live music video of all time.

Although the tour is just hitting American shores, plenty of fans have already seen a version of it, since a filming of a “Detour” concert from last fall’s European leg was screened in January as a one-night theatrical release in dozens of U.S. cinemas, followed by a DVD release. Devotees who saw that and/or read the memoir will be familiar with some of the tales Costello favors over the course of the show. Several involve his grandparents, or his late bandleader father, a British celebrity in his own right (Costello remembers being age 3 and “behind the television with a screwdriver, looking for my dad”). There’s less attention paid here than in the book to the wild days when Costello was “trying to rid the world of alcohol,” although he does comically revive the memory of the sexy cab driver whose very short-lived tryst with the singer inspired the guilt-wracked “Accidents Will Happen.”

Even when he’s retelling a story that the faithful might already know, Costello does put a fresh spin or funnier punchline on things -- as, when recalling his days as a nascent computer programmer in the mid-‘70s, he cracks, “I eventually got out of computers and into rock and roll -- and those f---ing things followed me.”

The greatest hits all eventually appeared Saturday night, but after a band tour last year opening for Steely Dan in which Costello had time to do almost nothing but, he’s clearly relishing the chance with this outing to reset the context for some more obscure corners of his catalog, as well, and some unlikely covers spanning the last century of popular music. Some of the choices are showing up every night on tour, because they’re tied to a story he likes to tell — a la “Ghost Town,” a song about the low-rent entertainers he grew up around on the English seaside — and some vary from night to night, like the rarely played “Blue Chair” and “Two Little Hitlers,” filling wild card slots for old fan favorites at the Ace opening.

You had to look closely for a political subtext to the show as it progressed -- one that Costello did almost nothing to overtly underline, despite a couple of throwaway Trump jokes. It began with the singer moving to piano for a moving cover of Los Lobos’ immigration-themed “Matter of Time,” offered without introduction or explanation. Talking about the hard times his grandfather faced set up several Depression-era anthems: “Walkin’ My Baby Back Home” (offered as a tip of the hat to his absent wife, Diana Krall), a “Side by Side” that was curiously transposed to a minor key, and a mic-less snippet of “Brother, Can You Spare a Dime?” A song from the recent New Basement Tapes project, “Down on the Bottom,” which found Costello adapting unreleased Bob Dylan lyrics (“and he doesn’t know a thing about it,” the singer quipped), was introduced with the thought that “bad times are coming.” You could hear more intimations of dark clouds in the closing war trilogy of “Shipbuilding,” “Oliver’s Army,” and “The Scarlet Tide,” the last of which replaced his usual “Peace, Love and Understanding” as a more somber show-closer.

But subtext is what that strain remained. Attendees walked away remembering a mostly high-spirited show, especially after Costello was joined for most of the lengthy encores by opening act Larkin Poe, a powerhouse female duo whose vocal and instrumental chops gave a nearly Attractions-level raucousness to their portion of his set. One of the sisters from Larkin Poe, mandolin-playing Rebecca Lovell, provided the harmonies Costello has rarely enjoyed in a band setting, while Megan Lovell whipped off one lap steel solo after another (from a standing position, thanks to her trademark lap steel harness). Listening to the three achieve sublimity on “All the Rage,” one of the best but least heralded songs in Costello’s bitter kiss-off vein, it became clear just how much the guy who wrote so many indelible songs about damaged women benefits from a healthy dose of girl power on stage.

But Larkin Poe didn’t put in the finest guest appearance of the night. That highlight belonged to Costello’s look-alike father, Ross McManus, whose fleet-footed, conga-driven 1960s music video of “If I Had a Hammer” became a minor YouTube sensation after Costello talked it up in his memoir. The son put his dad’s joy-inspiring video on that giant TV during an encore break, and it was a nearly impossible act for even a Rock and Roll Hall of Famer to follow.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.grimygoods.com/2016/04/04/el ... ace-hotel/

ELVIS COSTELLO CHARMS CROWD WITH CLASSIC TUNES AND PERSONAL ANECDOTES AT THE THEATRE AT ACE HOTEL

Photos and Words: Farah Sosa

The beautiful Theatre at the Ace Hotel downtown served as the perfect setting on Saturday for the powerfully charming performance from legendary alternative rock/new-wave singer-songwriter/guitarist Elvis Costello.

Atlanta based roots rock n’ roll sister duo Larkin Poe, aka Rebecca and Megan Lovell, opened the evening with their unique fusion of bluegrass and rock. They played classic tunes such as “Old Fashioned Morphine,” and “Bang Bang,” masterfully, with electrifying electronic guitar riffs that were warmly welcomed by the audience. It was my first time hearing Larkin Poe and they won me over from the first song and I found them to be a perfect pairing for ’70s English punk rock star, Costello.

Next up, the legend himself. The stage was dressed with a giant analog television depicting phrases, photos and memories that have marked milestones in Costello’s life. The stage was also garnished with multiple guitars that he exchanged throughout the performance, as well as a piano he borrowed from his wife that he played while his mother’s image was projected on the big screen behind him. Costello shared witty stories throughout the night, ranging from his first California experiences, to not knowing what a BLT was, to staying at hotels of questionable reputation back in the day, and reading the book of alcohol by drinking it. Although the theatre was jam packed, the anecdotes he shared, felt intimate. Not to mention, the songs he played had much of the crowd singing along right there with him. For an even deeper look into his music history and life, be sure to check out his recent memoir, Unfaithful Music & Disappearing Ink. Larkin Poe joined Costello for a joyous encore and will continue to perform with him throughout the rest of his Detour Tour.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

https://www.behance.net/gallery/3589297 ... Angeles-CA

Photos by Morgan Avery Breque - including -

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »