Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis (solo) plays Los Angeles, April 3 2016

Post by johnfoyle »

Who's going ?
woz

Re: Elvis (solo) plays Los Angeles, April 3 2016

Post by woz »

Looking forward to the show and the venue which I have been told is amazing.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Nearly time !
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Shes Pulling Out The Pin & Deportee were , according to f/book comments, among the songs sung.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Setlist:

01. Lipstick Vogue
02. (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
03. Accidents Will Happen
04. Ascension Day
05. Church Underground
06. 45
07. Radio Soul
08. She's Pulling Out The Pin
09. Matter Of Time - on piano
10. Deportee - on piano
11. Walkin' My Baby Back Home - seated
12. Ghost Train - seated
13. Shabby Doll - including Here I Am (Come And Take Me) - seated
14. Watching The Detectives
15. I Scare Myself - on piano
16. Alison - unamplified
Encore 1
17. Pads, Paws And Claws - with Larkin Poe
18. Nothing Clings Like Ivy - with Larkin Poe
19. That's Not The Part Of Him You're Leaving - with Larkin Poe
20. Blame It On Cain - with Larkin Poe
Encore 2
21. Pump It Up - inside the TV
22. Everyday I Write The Book - inside the TV
23. Good Year For The Roses - with Larkin Poe - inside the TV
Encore 3
24. Side By Side - on piano
25. I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down - on piano
26. Jimmie Standing In The Rain - including Brother, Can You Spare A Dime?
27. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding? - with Larkin Poe
28. Down On The Bottom - with Larkin Poe
29. All The Rage - with Larkin Poe
woz

Post by woz »

Alison off mic was a treat!
Last edited by woz on Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The above review is of the April 2nd show.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/cost ... songs.html

Elvis Costello writes the book of his long career in L.A. show

By PETER LARSEN / STAFF WRITER

April 4, 2016

It’s clear that the reflective mood that led Elvis Costello to pen his memoir, “Unfaithful Music & Disappearing Ink,” last year lingers in the solo tour that brought him on stage Sunday in Los Angeles for the second of two intimate, career-spanning shows at the Theatre at the Ace Hotel.

Vintage black-and-white photographs pulled from several generations of MacManus family albums screened on the giant television set prop behind Costello as he performed. Between songs the always garrulous Costello shared stories about his parents and grandparents – both dad and granddad made their livings as musicians – tales from his life as a professional musician, as well as the back stories to many of the songs in his set.

And what a set it was: 29 songs spread across two-and-a-half hours from Costello’s best-known numbers such as “Alison” and “Pump It Up” from his early days with the Attractions, latter-day gems such as “Ghost Train” and “Jimmie Standing In The Rain,” and a handful of impeccably picked covers which on Sunday included tunes by Los Lobos and the late Dan Hicks.

It was the kind of special night that the 61-year-old Costello can seemingly deliver with ease so comfortable is he on stage with just an array of guitars, a grand piano and a microphone. But if you think about how prolific he’s been – and truly, he’s one of the greatest songwriters of his generation – and the fact that he swaps out nearly half of his set from night to night it’s apparent just how rare an artist he is.

Costello opened his night with a trio of songs that aimed straight at the hearts of longtime fans who packed the restored 1927 movie palace: “Lipstick Vogue” done in a deconstructed, rough-edged arrangement, “(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes,” performed more simply and acoustic, and “Accidents Will Happen,” the first of many introduced with an origin story. In this case it involved a beautiful taxi cab driver, a plan to drive with her into Mexico, and a love affair that ended before it began because he hoped to find Jimmy Reed on the radio while she longed for Led Zeppelin.

More stories and songs flowed from there. An anecdote about working with the legendary New Orleans musician Allen Toussaint led to “Ascension Day,” a song from their 2006 collaboration “The River In Reverse.” A photo of femme fatale actress Gloria Grahame brought the confession that he’d seen so much film noir before arriving in America that he “believed all the girls in nightclubs would have a derringer in her garter, or at least know how to give you a good slap.” The song that followed, “Church Underground,” was inspired by that type of character.

Midway through the set he moved to the piano, joking that he’d borrowed it from his wife – jazz singer and pianist Diana Krall – and promised to return it unscathed, performing lovely versions there of Los Lobos’ “A Matter of Time,” and later returning to the keyboard for a beautiful take on Dan Hicks’ “I Scare Myself.”

Given his family tree – his father was a band singer, his grandfather played in silent movie orchestras – a bit of music hall or vaudeville comedy comes naturally to Costello. Introducing the standard “Walkin’ My Baby Back” as a song he wanted to play for his wife and their twin 9-year-old sons, he noted they were home doing what they always did before returning to school: “Playing a few hands of cards and enjoying some brandy.” Earlier, he explained the name of the tour – Detour – as coming from his family origins: “They say, ‘Where you going?’ I say, ‘I’m going on d’tour.’”

Highlights from the second half of the main set included a fantastic take on “Shabby Doll” and the reverb-drenched-and-looped version of “Watching The Detectives” he’s done in solo shows for awhile now, and finally, a bravura moment at the front of the stage on “Alison,” no amplification on his guitar, no microphone for his voice, a quiet-as-a-pin-drop moment of beauty.

Of course that was little more than half the set as four encores followed with most of them featuring the terrifically talented sisters Megan and Rebecca Lovell of opening act Larkin Poe, who added mandolin, lapsteel guitar and harmony vocals on songs such as “Nothing Clings Like Ivy” and “Blame It On Cain.”

Another trio of much-loved songs popped up here, too: “Pump It Up” and “Everyday I Write The Book,” both with Costello performing inside the giant TV now, and “(What’s So Funny ‘bout) Peace, Love and Understanding,” to open a final encore and finally bring to a close a night that few besides Costello could create.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I scare myself and a solo Lipstick Vogue 8)
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

http://sundial.csun.edu/2016/04/larkin- ... ace-hotel/

Larkin Poe Tears Up The Ace Hotel

by Jake Tully - Apr 10, 2016

In warming up the crowd for one of the most daunting singer-songwriters of the last half century, alt-country duo Larkin Poe proved to be a formidable opening act for Elvis Costello at the Theater at The Ace Hotel last Sunday evening.

As part of Costello’s “Detour,” Atlanta-based sisters Larkin Poe are currently opening for the singer-songwriter on his North America and Europe dates, as well as joining Costello on stage during his set.

“We don’t make it out to Los Angeles much,” Rebecca Lovell said as she tuned her guitar in between songs. “It’s a long car ride from Georgia, but we’ll make it out for Elvis.”

Playing songs from their upcoming album Reskinned as well as their 2014 album Kin, Rebecca’s aptly muddy guitar work was the perfect compliment to sister Megan’s viciously electric slide. Reminding one of early Allman Brothers output, Larkin Poe effortlessly straddled the line between traditional southern rock sensibilities and the contemporary idealism of emphasizing alt-rock.

The crowd began stomping their feet and hollering during the band’s cover of the Ramjam tune “Black Betty,” adding vocal harmonies and slide guitar to the otherwise unabashedly one-dimensional southern rock standard.

Clearly enamored with the Lovell sisters, members of the audience called out their admiration for the sisters in between songs.

“I didn’t realize Megan brought her fan club with her,” joked Rebecca after a group shouted out for her sister in between songs. “Now I’m feeling left out. Call one out for me!”

Much like Courtyard Hounds or the Secret Sisters, Larkin Poe inhabited the innumerable vocal quality of the contemporary southern gothic female songstresses, harmonizing up into a seemingly immediate rapture.

After Larkin Poe’s supporting set, the sisters joined Costello on stage for numerous encore numbers including “(What’s So Funny About) Peace, Love & Understanding” and “Blame It On Cain” from Costello’s My Aim Is True.

Playing mandolin and slide, Larkin Poe helped orchestrate some of the more complicated songs of Costello’s catalogue, filling in the deficit of Imposters multi-instrumentalist Steve Nieve.

Such reworkings were wildly received by the crowd, even causing one audience member to toss his pinched front cowboy hat into the hair in response to the raucous version of Costello’s “Pads, Paws and Claws.”

“This group is the next big name in country singing and songwriting,” Costello said after covering a handful of his original numbers. “We are so lucky to have them in support of us this tour.”