Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis & The Imposters play Henley, 7 July 2016

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.henleystandard.co.uk/news/news.php?id=41861

Full Festival line-up announced

Published 11/02/16

(extract)

THE full line-up for this year's Henley Festival is revealed today.

Shirley Bassey, Elvis Costello, Will Young and Bryn Terfel are to join Elton John as headline acts at the five-day music and arts extravaganza in July.

The line-up will also include a number of leading comedians, a new music stage, a mini version of Ronnie Scott’s famous jazz club and a new restaurant with Michelin-starred chef Daniel Clifford.

Sir Elton will open the festival when he performs on the “floating” stage on Wednesday, July 6, as previously announced. His show has already sold out. He will be followed on successive nights by award-winning singer-songwriter Elvis Costello and his band the Imposters, Welsh opera singer Bryn Terfel, who appeared at the festival in 2010, Dame Shirley, who will perform with vocal group Blake, and pop star Will Young.

The 34th annual festival will run from Wednesday to Sunday, July 6 to 10.

A total of about 7,000 tickets will be available for each night and will go on sale to the general public on Thursday, February 25 at 10am.

For more information and to book tickets, visit www.henley-festival.co.uk
verbal gymnastics

Re: Elvis & The Imposters play Henley, 7 July 2016

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Of more interest is that the Imposters will be in the UK. I should think some other dates will be added. 8)
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Once you register with the festival you get this message for July 7th -

https://uk.patronbase.com/_HenleyFestiv ... rformances

Tickets for this production currently on sale for selected members. Please note that all seated tickets for Wednesday 6th 2016 are now sold out. General Admission tickets which allow entry into the Festival site but are not concert tickets are still available.
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

I would be surprised if Elvis sold out
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Of more interest is that the Imposters will be in the UK. I should think some other dates will be added. 8)

We could do with an Imposters show its been too long.

On a different matter VG. Squeeze and James on blackheath sounds a good gig. One for all the family
Goon Squad

Post by Goon Squad »

Dress code is BLACK TIE ! ! ! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

"Disappointed" is the word, I think, that the first UK Imposters show since 2013 is at such a venue. The Henley Festival is seriously posh.

Tickets vary on price depending on which area and night you go for.

The grandstand seating is raised and looks towards the Floating Stage while the lawn seating is down in front on the grass. General admission tickets are for people who do not want a seat and are happy walking around the site.

Looking at prices for the 2015 Henley Festival on the Thursday night: Grandstand A were £150, Grandstand B £130, Grandstand C £110, Lawn A £85, Lawn B £75, Lawn C £65 and General Admission £35.

So for £65 you could dress in your dinner jacket and bow tie (or ball gown) and sit on the grass at the back of the lawn area. You will be overlooked by the punters in the Grandstand, who I expect will have had their tickets given to them by Corporate sponsors, who will be talking to them throughout proceedings, pausing only to shout out for "Watching The Detectives" or "Oliver's Army". I don't imagine the show will be very long or very interesting - a festival set like that he played at the Cornbury Festival in 2012.

Add to the ticket price the costs of parking and no doubt very overpriced food and drink. Compare these prices with the £44 that it cost to see EC at Kew The Music in 2014 (no dress code) or the free show he gave in Hyde Park (with the Imposters) in 2013.

I hope that this is only one of a series of festival shows that Elvis and The Imposters will play in the UK this summer, in which case it will not be one I will be going to.

MOOT
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

After all the rain we've had in Devon for the last 2 months, I'm more interested in the cost of mooring my toolshed as I drift up the Channel and the Thames :roll:
I guess the fees must be good for Elvis - a relatively short jaunt from London, a relatively short set and a chance to just play a predictable setlist too ! Now if this was the first in a promotional tour of the U.K. showcasing a new album with the Imposters called" Bringing It All Back Home " I'd be very happy !!
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Elvis

I know you're reading this.

I thought you'd appreciate some help compiling that setlist which'll start with Accidents and end in Peace.

I'm sure that others will add their own suggestions, but given MooT's description of the event and the likely prevalence of "robber barons" and the general lack of "the common man", I think that " This is Hell" fits the bill perfectly.

Colin Top balcony
verbal gymnastics

I don't want to go to Henley.

I thank you.
Goon Squad

Post by Goon Squad »

verbal gymnastics wrote:I don't want to go to Henley.

I thank you.
:lol: 8)
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Man out of Time wrote:"Disappointed" is the word, I think, that the first UK Imposters show since 2013 is at such a venue. The Henley Festival is seriously posh.

Tickets vary on price depending on which area and night you go for.

The grandstand seating is raised and looks towards the Floating Stage while the lawn seating is down in front on the grass. General admission tickets are for people who do not want a seat and are happy walking around the site.

Looking at prices for the 2015 Henley Festival on the Thursday night: Grandstand A were £150, Grandstand B £130, Grandstand C £110, Lawn A £85, Lawn B £75, Lawn C £65 and General Admission £35.

So for £65 you could dress in your dinner jacket and bow tie (or ball gown) and sit on the grass at the back of the lawn area. You will be overlooked by the punters in the Grandstand, who I expect will have had their tickets given to them by Corporate sponsors, who will be talking to them throughout proceedings, pausing only to shout out for "Watching The Detectives" or "Oliver's Army". I don't imagine the show will be very long or very interesting - a festival set like that he played at the Cornbury Festival in 2012.

Add to the ticket price the costs of parking and no doubt very overpriced food and drink. Compare these prices with the £44 that it cost to see EC at Kew The Music in 2014 (no dress code) or the free show he gave in Hyde Park (with the Imposters) in 2013.

I hope that this is only one of a series of festival shows that Elvis and The Imposters will play in the UK this summer, in which case it will not be one I will be going to.

MOOT

SAD BUT TRUE....sometimes you've just got to say "NO!!!" sounds like something i would pass on here in the USA also. :evil: :evil:
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Yeah... As a jobbing musician, Elvis has got to earn a crust, but I don't fancy this one either!
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Surely Henley qualifies as an upper crust - I take all my leads from VG ! :oops:
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Chortle! Indeed, Sulky!
the_roofdog

Post by the_roofdog »

What fresh hell is this. July 7 is my birthday as well, I got all excited for a minute (so I know that this will be the 9th anniversary of the similarly overpriced Tower of London gig! What has he got against 7th July?!)
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

the_roofdog wrote:What fresh hell is this. July 7 is my birthday as well, I got all excited for a minute (so I know that this will be the 9th anniversary of the similarly overpriced Tower of London gig! What has he got against 7th July?!)
A couple of days before the ill-fated and f-expensive Tower he played a microvenue in Liverpool - the New Picket - where we all sang Happy Birthday to his mum, who was present as ever at the gig. He explained that he always manages to mix pleasure with business in early July in this country.

Colin Top Balcony
erey

Post by erey »

Maybe EC does these spendy gigs in July because he likes to go all out on birthday presents for his mother. :)
buzz

Post by buzz »

Just to say that I'll be doing what I can to get a ticket for Henley. Only 30 mins from my front door and he's unlikely to play a gig closer. The black tie thing goes against my principles of a dress code but for him, I'll waive my objection. Songs such as 'Black Tie in the Sunset' and 'Down Among the Toffs and Royals' will compensate.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

And surely "Little Palaces" -
Again I learnt all I know from VG !
Cocktail Murderess

Post by Cocktail Murderess »

Surely he'll be singing 'Pimms and Soap'? I'm hoping to go with Spirit of Curiosity. It's a very good excuse for a new frock. I thought more of you guys would be going......are you scared of wearing your heels in public? :lol:
I keep my lipstick twisted tight.
Cocktail Murderess

Post by Cocktail Murderess »

It's a floating stage...oh no....what if they get Lost on the River............... :lol:
I keep my lipstick twisted tight.
verbal gymnastics

:lol:

With the boys from Henley-on-Thames with their wine...
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

as he scans rows upon row of Tory Posh Boys, he's in danger of slipping into Watching the Defectives :lol: :lol: :lol:

Colin Top balcony
verbal gymnastics

There's a Tory in your voice...