RIP ALLEN TOUSSAINT

Pretty self-explanatory
blureu

Re: RIP ALLEN TOUSSAINT

Post by blureu »

http://www.wwoz.org/events/392571

The Tribute to Allen Toussaint to be held at the Orpheum Theater in New Orleans, will be broadcast live on WWOZ radio, 90.7 FM, on Friday, November 20 starting at approximately 11 a.m. For fans unable to listen via the radio, the tribute will be available on the internet at WWOZ.ORG.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Elvis is scheduled to speak about Allen but doesn't appear to be performing. (via Twitter/Facebook)

blureu

Post by blureu »

Wonderful tribute. Hopefully it's archived to hear Elvis's words again.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

blureu wrote:Wonderful tribute. Hopefully it's archived to hear Elvis's words again.
Unfortunately I missed it, so I hope it's available for replay.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Thanks to those who share their recordings in public places:

Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

That 'sings' like the more inspired portions of the Memoir. Thank you for sharing.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Elvis & (it looks like) Diana seem to have been part of a tribute show -

https://twitter.com/lurabellepr/status/ ... 4823527425

laura tennyson ‏@lurabellepr Nov 20

The all star tributes to #allantoussaint continues with @elviscostello #followyournola
krm

Post by krm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nURb5geCD5w&sns=fb

funeral procession for Allen. Traditional New Orleans way.
terryhurley

Post by terryhurley »

krm wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nURb5geCD5w&sns=fb

funeral procession for Allen. Traditional New Orleans way.
amazing
Ulster Boy

Post by Ulster Boy »

blureu

Post by blureu »

Tonight I re-listened to the 9:30 club show from 2007 that Elvis mentioned in his speech. What a show and surprise encore with Allen. That must have been amazing.
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

A touching reminiscence via a previously unpublished interview with the two artists:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... of5Za0Ok1g
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

On Sunday, May, 1 on the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival's Gentilly Stage, The Allen Toussaint Band will appear with Aaron Neville, Cyril Neville, Dr. John, Bonnie Raitt, Jon Batiste, Jimmy Buffett and Davell Crawford.

http://www.nola.com/music/index.ssf/201 ... s_tri.html

Elvis and The Imposters play the same festival on Thursday 28 April. What chance Elvis might stay around until Sunday to join the show? He is not due in England until 9 May.

MOOT
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com/to ... d-was-born

Elvis Costello returns to Jazz Fest, where Toussaint bond was born

ALISON FENSTERSTOCK| SPECIAL TO THE ADVOCATE
April 27, 2016; 11:23 p.m.

During Jazz Fest in 2005, Elvis Costello happened to see Allen Toussaint for the first time, in person, since working with him on the 1989 album “Spike.” Local sessions for the project had employed the Dirty Dozen Brass Band and Toussaint on piano.

“When we said our farewells on the showgrounds of the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival,” Costello wrote in his 2015 memoir, “Unfaithful Music & Disappearing Ink,” “it was with the hope that we might find a way to work together again.

“Neither of us could have imagined the circumstances in which this would occur,” he wrote. Four months later, Hurricane Katrina hit.

After riding out the storm at the Astor Crowne Plaza in the French Quarter, Toussaint learned his Gentilly home had been ravaged by wind and water.

Also wrecked in the flood was SeaSaint, the studio where, over the past 40 years, he’d recorded artists from Paul McCartney to Patti LaBelle to Lee Dorsey and the Meters.

In the late ’90s, Toussaint had started a New York-based record label, NYNO, in partnership with his friend Josh Feigenbaum. Once he made it out of town, first to Baton Rouge and then to New York, Feigenbaum helped Toussaint find a temporary apartment on the Upper West Side, close to Lincoln Center.

The music world rallied for New Orleans in the wake of the storm, with fundraising concerts large and small hosted around the country.

On that circuit, Toussaint and Costello crossed paths again, first at a Lincoln Center benefit hosted by Wynton Marsalis, then at the massive “From the Big Apple to the Big Easy” revue at Madison Square Garden in late September 2005.

Costello caught a Toussaint performance at the downtown theater Joe’s Pub, where the evacuee had started a solo residency, and it inspired him.

“Allen may have lost his home and his studio and seen the rich pool of musicians who he had always called on scattered to other cities of refuge,” Costello wrote in his memoir, “but his songbook was invulnerable.”

“The River in Reverse,” the album the pair would begin work on together in December 2005, took its title from a mournful ballad Costello wrote in the first weeks after the storm.

The two men also wrote several new pieces together, including “Ascension Day,” a haunted inversion of “Tipitina” with new lyrics from Costello. Other songs were sadder, tenser, angrier than what the world usually expected from Toussaint: “The Sharpest Thorn,” “Broken Promise Land” and the biting, desperate bonus track “Where Is The Love.”

“When I went back and listened to it while I was writing about ‘The River In Reverse,’ Costello said of ‘Where Is The Love’ during a recent phone conversation, “I was kind of shocked when I read the lyrics back — the chorus part of the lyric, which he wrote, the rest of it that I wrote ­— and I was shocked by the nakedness of the anger. Because he hadn’t shown that in response to the events. He’d been quite stoic and measured when other people, like Mac (Dr. John), were really overtly angry.”

Darker songs

“The River in Reverse” was also very much in honor of the songbook Costello called invulnerable.

In the stark light of tragedy, those songs surely were more keenly appreciated and more closely examined.

The revisited songs were chosen mostly from Toussaint’s brilliant 1970s run of solo albums, a period in his career when the master writer, producer and arranger’s own voice was at the forefront.

And many of them, such as “On Your Way Down,” “Freedom for the Stallion” and “Who’s Gonna Help Brother Get Further,” written for Lee Dorsey, are darker, more strident and more complex than songs generally associated with the famously composed and understated Toussaint.

The songs were “diamonds,” Costello said, “masterpieces.” And they were exactly the right songs to approach together in the sad, uncertain winter of 2005 for those two particular talents.

The reimaginings were largely faithful. But they also were stamped unmistakably by the fresh interaction of those two creative titans, a delicate balance of elegance and rage run through with soul.

Back in the public eye

Katrina, and “The River In Reverse,” brought Toussaint back out into the public eye as a performer. After Joe’s Pub, there were more solo shows and tours.

“I just had a sense that a number of us in New York were watching Allen sort of find his way back onstage and put the pieces together,” Costello said.

He recalled Toussaint looking “quite shocked” to hear audiences shouting to hear particular songs, surprised they knew them.

“I’d get emails from him and he’d be in Quito, in Ecuador or somewhere,” Costello said. “The range of concerts he did in those 10 years,” before Toussaint’s sudden death after a performance in Madrid in November, “was really astonishing. I mean, people didn’t see him outside of New Orleans very often before Katrina. And he totally embraced a new way of working.”

‘Elegant prince’

At the memorial service for Toussaint at the Orpheum Theater in November, Costello spoke movingly about his friend.

He called him “an elegant prince, gracious, ever curious about what came next.”

And he was moved himself to see how New Orleans came out in force to honor the legend who had, in recent years, become a frequent public presence, delighting the fans who spotted him — or his gold Rolls-Royce — out on the town.

“These memorials were fantastic pageantry, you know, but you also really saw the depth of love there throughout the whole house –— not just the people on the stage but everybody there. It was really something to be there. I had never imagined that day at all, but it was really something to be a part of it,” he said.

Certainly, Costello’s set Thursday will include a remembrance.

“We’ll try to do what we want to do for Allen,” he said, “with the kind of style he would have brought to something like that.”

Costello plays Jazz Fest at 5:30 p.m. Thursday on the Gentilly Stage.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Big tribute show in Hollywood on July 20th -

http://www.jambase.com/article/galactic ... nt-tribute

If it wasn't for Elvis playing with the Imposters in Belfast the night before I'd say he would have been part of this.