Meltdown Festival 2001 - Performance with Nick Cave

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Meltdown Festival 2001 - Performance with Nick Cave

Post by Man out of Time »

I came across an Italian magazine review of a Nick Cave concert at the Meltdown Festival at the Southbank Centre in London in May 2001. The review is here:

Jam Magazine

It refers to a concert at the Royal Festival Hall on 7 May 2001.

According to an extract from the review,

"Il protagonista principale è Nick Cave. Chi si aspetta di vederlo suonare col suo storico gruppo, The Bad Seeds, prospettiva già di per sé emozionante, non immagina che a raggiungerlo in preziosi duetti vi sia Elvis Costello (con Steve Nieve al pianoforte), mentre Laurie Anderson, che con energia strofina l’archetto del suo magico violino, sembra un folletto spuntato fuori dall’ombra. Del resto, era logico aspettarsi un evento inaspettato, incredibile e, a tratti, eccitante."

or in English:

"The main protagonist is Nick Cave. Those expecting to see him play with his historic band, The Bad Seeds, perspective already exciting, do not imagine that you get there in precious duets there is Elvis Costello (with Steve Nieve on the piano), and Laurie Anderson, who vigorously rubs the bow of her magic violin, seems an elf popped out of the shadows. Moreover, it was logical to expect an unexpected, incredible and at times exciting."

According to the final paragraph of the article (as translated by Google Translate):

"The only song "extra Cave" played on the final of the three is an incredible version of I Want You, piece signed by Costello, who on this occasion accompanied the interpretive wailing voice of Cave and sounds fattisi gradually devilish violin of virtuoso Anderson."

So this appears to be an appearance including Elvis and Steve and a performance of I Want You involving Nick Cave, Elvis and Laurie Anderson. This is not featured in the Concert schedule on the EC Wiki. More curiously, in the list of Nick Cave concerts at Nick-cave.com he played the Brixton Academy on 7 May, not the Royal Festival Hall. He did play Meltdown on 4 May, the same day as Elvis for the "Directors' Cut" with Laurie Anderson and Nick Cave.

If we assume that the 4 May show is the concert to which this review refers, can anyone confirm whether Elvis and Steve played with Nick Cave and Laurie Anderson?

The author of this review on the EC homepage saw EC's solo performance and says he also sat through Nick Cave's show (of repetitive dirge-like ballads) but makes no mention of EC and Steve appearing.

MOOT
bronxapostle

Re: Meltdown Festival 2001 - Performance with Nick Cave

Post by bronxapostle »

Just a phenomenal concept imagining Nick singing I WANT YOU. hope it's correct and again that one day film or at the very least, audio, will emerge.
Mr. Getgood

Post by Mr. Getgood »

Wow! That would blow my mind!
I love you just as much as I hate your guts.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Mr. Getgood wrote:Wow! That would blow my mind!

Agreed, yes indeed. My top three choices for a season three Spectacle guests have always been:

PAUL WELLER
RYAN ADAMS
NICK CAVE