674 for me & NOT for me! a/k/a various I HOPE HAPPY NOWs

Pretty self-explanatory
bronxapostle

674 for me & NOT for me! a/k/a various I HOPE HAPPY NOWs

Post by bronxapostle »

to those following this thread: http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... =2&t=10303
as a numerology freak, i was quite tantalized to think that my "unseen" performed LIVE songs by EC might somehow EXACTLY equal the number i DID see him play. it came remarkably close....673 i have seen live and 674 that i have not. now, i know these numbers are VERY tenuous because CERTAINLY there have been MANY more he has played that have NOT been archived at the wiki or anywhere. but, i could only contend with the setlists i did indeed have to peruse. good clean fun this was...and again, if anyone has a program that can combine each of the two together and arrange them alphabetically, i guess we might have a pretty thorough compendium of the songs he has played live. albeit, just one man's loose interpretation, especially pertaining to those reworked and/or different arrangements of the same song. well, it was fun doing this. great work for an OCD guy like me. please chime in with any errors you see, omissions you find, or questions you might have too. and, i guess this list will remain alive, as there is still hope for me to see an I HOPE, a THE FLIRTING KIND or a LIVING IN PARADISE and displace them from the NOT list to the SEEN list. :wink: :wink:
Last edited by bronxapostle on Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
bronxapostle

Re: a close one: 673 for me & 674 NOT for me!

Post by bronxapostle »

you know.....at the time i did this, the number for each SHOULD have been an EXACT deadlock!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

upon reflection, i have decided that i have erred horribly by never giving my two August 1984 performances of I HOPE YOU'RE HAPPY NOW, a separate tally. this version played as the one performed on The Tonight Show that summer, is vastly different from the B&C released FASTER version. i must go home now and listen to the Goodbye Cruel World deluxe edition take labelled as EARLY ATTRACTIONS VERSION. is this one the same of which i speak?

also, according to the wiki, there is a separate CONFEDERATES version that was released upon the SINGLES box set ONLY (???) i had never purchased this so i might need help in acquiring this version if it is indeed the only place it has been available. King Foyle, ANCT or my other stats friends, HELP!

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... _Happy_Now
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Just PM'd you BA.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

thanks for that John...my HELP was moreso asking for discussion of these various versions. what can you tell me here and now about these bonus tracks versus the 1984 pre BLOOD AND CHOCOLATE take?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Here & now I can tell you little - I haven't heard them all in ages. I will listen to them back to back later & let you know.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

The "early Attractions version" is the Tonight Show arrangement.

The "Confederates version" is similar in tempo and feel to the solo version but with a full band.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

And No Coffee Table wrote:The "early Attractions version" is the Tonight Show arrangement.

The "Confederates version" is similar in tempo and feel to the solo version but with a full band.
THANKS ANCT! i can't believe i JUST re-did my archives COMPLETELY LONG FORM PAPER last year and now am left with this glaring error!!! WHY ALL THESE YEARS GONE DID I NEVER REFLECT ON THAT VERY DIFFERENT INTIAL SLOWER VERSION OF THE SONG???? i will update my list here later and sadly, one day have to re-do my paperwork or eventually bite the bullet and learn to do it at the computer. :( :( :(
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

KOA sleevenote 2005 -

Elvis writes -

...several of them are from the raw and sizzled session in early '85. My cassette of this session was rather grimly labelled "EC as JR", meaning "Jimmy Reed", who apparently used to drink until he fell off his chair. At that time, I was drinking a lot of whisky, which was a poison that I could never drink.
I did manage the more concentrated versions included here and a sombre and almost regretful reading of "I Hope You're Happy Now".

Prompted by BA's query I've been listening again to the KOA versions of 'I Hope etc. ' I listened to the acoustic version and the Confederates version. The latter is , of course , from the Singles box set from 2003 . It's a pleasant enough version but it's easy to see why it wasn't released (except for it's 'accidental' inclusion in the box set ) - Elvis's vocal is a bit raspy and the playing by Jerry Scheff , Mitchell Froom & Jim Keltner is competent but uninspired. Perhaps they realised the sombre lyric worked best in another context , what would become the full-on treatment by the Attractions back in London or the solo version by Elvis.

Listening to the solo version on cd 2 of the KOA reissue from 2005 , I found myself wondering about it. It has a slow , nervous start and is as bleak as Elvis's recollection of the recording's circumstance tell us. This version was on the b-side of the I Want You single in 1986. Or so the '05 sleeve tells us. Thing is , I remembered a more strident , in your face solo version. Was my memory playing tricks with me? The only thing was to dig out the vinyl and give it a spin. Sure enough , it does sound as I remember it . The label credits production by Nick Lowe & Colin Fairley, the producers of the BAC sessions in 1986. Maybe it was convenient to just bung on the same credits as the a-side , rather than try to explain what a recording done in Sunset Sound Studios, LA , engineered Larry Hirsch , in Feb. 1985 was doing there. Maybe some remixing was done. Whatever - they do sound like two different recordings. I'm going to send files of them to a friend & ask for them to be uploaded to youtube and maybe people can judge .
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

johnfoyle wrote:I'm going to send files of them to a friend & ask for them to be uploaded to youtube and maybe people can judge .
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Thanks!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

thanks John and doc for your always expeditious work!
okay...so, perhaps we are best suited putting them ALL here for comparative purposes.
though i did NOT see it performed live solo in 2013/14, i recall that version being quite plaintive and kinda lovely. so, let me approach it chronologically for simplification:

early ATTRACTIONS version (what was played on The Tonight Show and the summer U.S. tour of 1984)
B & C l.p. official
I WANT YOU (solo?) b side version
GCW bonus disc Confederates take
Singles box set version
2013/14 solo tour LIVE plaintive version

did i get these correct as potential DIFFERENT takes John???
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Yes, those are the five versions 'out there'.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

bronxapostle wrote:thanks John and doc for your always expeditious work!
okay...so, perhaps we are best suited putting them ALL here for comparative purposes.
though i did NOT see it performed live solo in 2013/14, i recall that version being quite plaintive and kinda lovely. so, let me approach it chronologically for simplification:

early ATTRACTIONS version (what was played on The Tonight Show and the summer U.S. tour of 1984)
B & C l.p. official
Singles box set version

did i get these correct as potential DIFFERENT takes John???[/quot
bronxapostle wrote:thanks John and doc for your always expeditious work!

B & C l.p. official
Singles box set version

did i get these correct as potential DIFFERENT takes John???
No KING...You are supposed to be my proofreader. I am confused again.
The GCW take is apparently the early Attractions version, right? I listened to all I had in house this afternoon, which is everything listed here but the SINGLES ACCIDENTALLY INCLUDED version. And I agree that I am not 100 % certain that the I WANT YOU b side is the same take as the solo version included on the KOA DELUXE EDITION. UGH!!!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I am not 100 % certain that the I WANT YOU b side is the same take as the solo version included on the KOA DELUXE EDITION
I'm not sure either. I'm inclined to think the track on the vinyl single from 1986 is a ever so slightly speeded up version of the recording that eventually appeared on the Rhino cd in 2005. Maybe you & Doc. can have a listen to the sound files I sent you of recordings from both formats and tell me what you think.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

See below
Last edited by bronxapostle on Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Apologies for the can of worms I've opened here. Yes, I will fight with those two versions...the b side and the KOA DELUXE takes to see if they are the same. My main rant here above is, slap happy ba refereed to the GCW DELUXE version as the Confederates take when upon pulling the cds, I hear that clearly seems to be 1984 Attractions early version. Thanks men....chime in please statistician supreme Nunki.
And No Coffee Table

I am very confident that the solo "I Hope You're Happy Now" on my copy of the Rhino King of America is the same take as the b-side version.

However...

I also have a "work in progress" version of the KOA bonus disc intended for in-house use at Rhino. This includes a subtly different alternate take of the song, notable for EC laughing slightly as he sings the word "laughter" (at 1:56). Another forum member has a UK promo CDR which includes this same alternate take.

It was my belief that the alternate take only appears on non-commercial copies, but I can't rule out the possibility that a CD John Foyle purchased in Ireland could have the alternate, while my CD has the correct b-side version. Is John's copy on Rhino or Edsel or...?
docinwestchester

Okay all you trainspotters, here are the two versions owned by johnfoyle:

If you run the two versions simultaneously, the vocal phrasing/pausing is definitely not the same. The "laughter" line is different, for example.
And No Coffee Table

Thanks. Yes, those match up with the two versions I was talking about. The first is the alternate take and the same as the "work in progress" CD and promo CDR. The second is the correct b-side version and also appears on the commercially released Rhino CD.

John: Does your CD identify where it was manufactured? Is it definitely a commercial release and not a promo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

John: Does your CD identify where it was manufactured? Is it definitely a commercial release and not a promo?
It's the commercial release . I'll check later but I'm pretty sure it's the Demon UK edition. So Demon 'accidentally' using the wrong master yet again?

So , let's clarify - the '86 vinyl' version is on most copies of the '05 Rhino release , right?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

johnfoyle wrote:
It's the commercial release . I'll check later but I'm pretty sure it's the Demon UK edition. So Demon 'accidentally' using the wrong master yet again?

So , let's clarify - the '86 vinyl' version is on most copies of the '05 Rhino release , right?
i have computer difficulties where i can't listen...so, i will go home and spin the 45 and the KOA solo once again attempting to verify John. thanks fellow stats nerds!!! hey doc...while most are here, can you also add the beautiful 2013 solo tour take you have up please. oh and the commercially released U.S. KOA one also i guess completes it all. thanks, ba p.s. i thought name change on thread was appropriate
And No Coffee Table

johnfoyle wrote:So , let's clarify - the '86 vinyl' version is on most copies of the '05 Rhino release , right?
I would think so, but I can only say for certain that it's on my Rhino copy.
The Gentleman

Re: 674 for me & NOT for me! a/k/a various I HOPE HAPPY NOWs

Post by The Gentleman »

Can any other people who have the Demon edition of the 2005 KOA confirm which version of the demo they have? I'm wondering if the Rhinos are one version, and the Demons another (if so, it'll be the first known difference between them).
docinwestchester

bronxapostle wrote:hey doc...while most are here, can you also add the beautiful 2013 solo tour take you have up please.
bronxapostle

Re: 674 for me & NOT for me! a/k/a various I HOPE HAPPY NOWs

Post by bronxapostle »

The Gentleman wrote:Can any other people who have the Demon edition of the 2005 KOA confirm which version of the demo they have? I'm wondering if the Rhinos are one version, and the Demons another (if so, it'll be the first known difference between them).
i guess we now need a comparative double header post here featuring one U.S. deluxe take versus one U.K. deluxe take!!!

i bet THIS guy can help.
docinwestchester wrote:
bronxapostle wrote:hey doc...while most are here, can you also add the beautiful 2013 solo tour take you have up please.
thanks doc!