In A24
Michael Anderson

Re: Elvis, solo, Cardiff , June 25 '15

Post by Michael Anderson »

Me.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I'm in B15. Last night of my tour and then work until Sunday 5th so a 13 day stretch to make up for my week and one half day off ! Tried to wangle a poster from the Hall already, as I've never met Elvis here except once in 1989 when I saw him and Cait walking in the town centre and I didn't like to interrupt !
Last edited by sulky lad on Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JONPD

Post by JONPD »

I'm in A25.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Just home from Cardiff, lively audience with paranoid ushers, all photography Nd recording frowned upon, still they're not that efficient. Set included ATUB early on but nothing else new except ..... Brand new song which Elvis said he'd never performed before about GB, including lines such as losing the empire and letting the sun go down and John Bull caught with his pants down . Will need further listening but his piano playing was exemplary during this and shipbuilding which preceded it. He also praised again nurses as he did in Birmingham suggesting hey deserve as much acclaim as our boys and girls in uniform which still needs more clarification from him I.e what about doctors and laboratory scientist for example :x sorry bit knackered now !!
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

ATUB, nice. First time during all of Detour.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Elvis said he went to the National Gallery to look at Chalkie's exhibition and said it was really worth it and then mentioned he took a wrong turning and ended up "in amongst the puffins". I think he said it was odd to see those images of himself bu he then went on to dedicate ATUB to Chalkie.
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

Elvis Costello pays tribute to Charlotte Church during his stripped back Cardiff gig
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/a ... te-9531692

Elvis Costello entertained his fans at St David's Hall in Cardiff when he also gave a nod to the city's singers, including Charlotte Church

SteveTucker
11:23, 26 June 2015

Forget the hippy vibe at Glastonbury, if such a thing still exists, if you wanted true ‘peace love and understanding’ you needed to worship at the altar of one of Britain’s greatest ever singer songwriters.

He may have risen on the shirt-tails of punk and new wave, but Elvis Costello has seen his career open up new vistas down the years incorporating country, classical and just about everything in between thanks to an astounding body of work currently standing at 30 albums.

As he took to the stage in Cardiff the love in the room was palpable and as he launched into the classic Angels Want To Wear My Red Shoes and followed it up with Accidents Will Happen’ that feel good vibe was only set to soar over a sprawling two-hour plus set.

Costello is now a long way from those punk roots - this was a stripped down set. Just the man, a piano and enough guitars to open a shop.

The faithful lapped it up, of course, but perhaps for a first-timer, although long-time admirer like myself, you did get the desire at times to have the sound filled out by some backing.

Some familiar classics sounded under-nourished although the presentation by Costello himself was never short of precise and at times astounding.

The lack of a band was actually most marked on those early spikier songs. Oliver’s Army, his biggest hit, sounded perfunctory whilst Watching the Detectives came across as messy with its clanging guitar breaks. Pump it Up lacked the required punch too.

The show really came alive when Costello got behind that piano with the quip, ‘Here is my special guest, me!’

Shipbuilding is a heart-breaker, a lament for lost times and made more poignant as Costello reminisced about his father Ross and grandfather Patrick who lost his work on the cruse ships back in the depression of the 1930s.

There was even a rare outing for the haunting She, a gorgeous journey through lost love that proved Costello’s voice, always slightly an acquired taste, is in fact maturing into the most beautiful instrument.

And that is what this show was, heart-felt. A large screen displayed images of some Cardiff heroes of music and beyond - Stan Stennett, Dave Edmunds and Andy Fairweather Low all flashed up. But it was a picture of singer turned anti-austerity campaigner Charlotte Church which seemed to move Costello most.

He ended up blowing kisses at her, always a political animal himself, his kicking against the prevailing tide seems not set to let up just yet.

In the end Costello got some backing, with his support act, Larkin Poe, coming on, the American sisters provided mandolin and slide guitar accompaniment as well as beautiful harmonies on a gorgeous Good Year For The Roses.

The night ended with an outing of one of his earliest classics, (What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding. A fitting finale indeed and a fitting sentiment too on a night when all those things ruled the Welsh capital.
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

Elvis Costello St David's Hall, Cardiff
http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/leisur ... __Cardiff/

South Wales Argus
26 June 2015
Kevin Ward

NOW in his fortieth year as a recording artist, Elvis Costello continues to delight critics and span musical genres even if he rarely troubles the charts these days.

His latest tour sees him playing a two-hour, three-part set on a stage dominated by a giant 1950s-style television with classic songs interspersed with humorous reminiscences about his father, mother, grandfather and his early 70s career as a computer operator ('It was just me, Bill Gates and Steve Jobs in those days!').

The first part of the show is entirely solo, as Costello moves from acoustic to electric guitar and, briefly, piano.

The latter instrument is used for a spellbinding version of Shipbuilding, his Falklands War lament (complete with a new verse) that is as relevant today as when he first released it in 1983.

There is a whirlwind run through old favourites like (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes, Accidents Will Happen, Oliver's Army and Watching The Detectives (a loop-laden, feedback-driven wall of noise) interspersed with newer tunes like Jimmie Standing In The Rain and 45.

A microphone-free version of Alison ends the first part of the show before support act Larkin Poe (the roots band made up of Atlanta sisters Rebecca and Megan Lovell) join him for workouts of, among others, Blame It On Cain, That's Not The Part Of Him You're Leaving, Pads Paws And Claws and Down On The Bottom.

The second encore sees Costello appear in the giant TV for a thrash through Pump It Up before the Larkin sisters join him again for a harmony-packed Good Year For The Roses.

The night ends with Costello urging fans to leave their seats for a romp through (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace Love And Understanding.

A great night with a national treasure in fine form.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Setlist from an audience recording:

Red Shoes
Watch Your Step
Accidents Will Happen
All This Useless Beauty
Church Underground
Stella Hurt
Either Side Of The Same Town
Oliver's Army
Shipbuilding
I Let The Sun Go Down
Walking My Baby Back Home
Ghost Train
She
Watching The Detectives
Alison

Pads Paws & Claws *
Kinder Murder *
Love Field *
That's Not The Part of Him You're Leaving *
Down On The Bottom *
Pump It Up
Good Year For The Roses *
Side By Side
Jimmie Standing In The Rain
(What's So Funny Bout ) Peace Love & Understanding *

Larkin Poe set:
When God
Hey Sinner
Black Betty
Jesse
Don't
Jailbreak
Bang Bang

* Larkin Poe join Elvis on stage
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
funkygibbon666

Post by funkygibbon666 »

A pal claimed he played 'The World Of Broken Hearts' as a pic of Amen Corner was up behind him. Not true?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

They played also Blame It On Cane after Down On The Bottom.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Is I Let The Sun Go Down without any prior history? The wiki has no info on it at all.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

Yes - ILTSGD allegedly available to legal-sharers on .... and ........ right now - lovely, apparently ...
'Sometimes via the senses, mostly in the mind (or pocket)'.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Definitely no mention or snippet of The World Of Broken Hearts !
funkygibbon666

Post by funkygibbon666 »

Ahh well she was over the way all day filming Doctor Who, perhaps she meant NEXT years concert :D
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Interesting that, thus far, this show was the only live performance of I Let The Sun Go Down.

Can anyone who has heard the audience recording of this show say how far the lyrics of the recorded version on Look Now are the same, or different?

MOOT
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Hmmm interesting. As this was 25 June 2015, that puts paid to the idea that it's about David Cameron and Brexit. Unless our Elv was being prescient.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

The lyrics are the same, but there's no whistling on the live version.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Thank heavens someone had the foresight to record this for posterity :oops:
krm

Post by krm »

sulky lad wrote:Thank heavens someone had the foresight to record this for posterity :oops:
That someone must be a good guy!!!!!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

sulky lad wrote:Thank heavens someone had the foresight to record this for posterity :oops:
Can we link it here?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

bronxapostle wrote:
Can we link it here?
Think about EC’s lawyers: please don’t post any links.