Re: Elvis, solo, Leicester, June 22 '15

Post by Offshoreram »

I'll be there.

Last one until the next one :wink:
My head is spinning and my legs are weak
Pars

Post by Pars »

Yes,I'll be there. My 3rd and final show of the tour. Always enjoy going to this venue as it brings back great memories of watching EC and The Jam there in the early 80's.My first ever EC gig was at De Montfort Hall in March 1981.I was 17 years old.Somewhat fitting that my 17 year old lad will joining me tomorrow.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

If anyone follows Larkin Poe on Twitter they've posted a picture of Tim Mech Guitar Tech tuning a guitar. Nothing untoward until you see it's next to (tonight's?) setlist...

...and it looks like All the rage is on it 8)
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Setlist thanks to Richard:

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... _Leicester

01. (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
02. Watch Your Step
03. Accidents Will Happen
04. Ascension Day
05. Church Underground
06. unidentified
07. Bedlam
08. Shipbuilding - on piano
09. He's Given Me Things - on piano
10. Walkin' My Baby Back Home - seated
11. Ghost Train - seated
12. Wave A White Flag - seated
13. She - seated
14. Watching The Detectives
15. She's Pulling Out The Pin
16. Oliver's Army
Encore 1
17. Pads, Paws And Claws - with Larkin Poe
18. Love Field - with Larkin Poe
19. Release Me - with Larkin Poe
20. My Shoes Keep Walking Back To You - with Larkin Poe
21. That's Not The Part Of Him You're Leaving - with Larkin Poe
22. Blame It On Cain - with Larkin Poe
Encore 2 - inside TV
23. Alison
24. Pump It Up
25. Good Year For The Roses - with Larkin Poe
Encore 3
26. Side By Side - on piano
27. I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down - on piano
28. Jimmie Standing In The Rain - including Brother, Can You Spare A Dime?
29. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding? - with Larkin Poe
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

My shoes keep walking back ?!!!??!!
And the only unique one in Bristol was Stranger In The House . I think I must be jinxed :cry:
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Is this the Richard Arthur who was friends with dear Tony ? I think we met at Nottingham in 1999 and there was a great photo of them getting something signed by Steve after the gig on the net !
Offshoreram

Post by Offshoreram »

It was a fabulous show last night.

I love the De Montfort Hall as it was our 'local' venue for gigs during my formative years and a regular on the punk/new wave scene. I loved going to see Elvis there as well as the Clash and the Jam back in the 70s. I first saw Elvis there in 1978 and last night was my 7th time seeing him there.

He mentioned during the set that the hall was a place they used to visit regularly but hadn't been there for a while so it was good to be back.

Quite a few local references on the back screen from Gary Lineker (Elvis said he was colour blind so couldn't see Lineker as he was in blue and he could only see red. It was obviously a reference to Lineker's Everton days and Elvis is a Liverpool fan, although the blue shirt was actually a Leicester shirt.) Other references which I knew nothing about the connection were Richard Attenborough and Python's Graham Chapman. So seeing Elvis is quite educational. The main focus seemed to be Engelbert Humperdinck whose various images appeared several times. Elvis also covered his song 'Please Release Me', aided by Larkin Poe. He also named Leicester the weird sex capitol of the East Midland. So, lots of weird sex capitols around the country!

I'm racking my brain to think of the missing song on the set list at number 6?

I thought Bedlam sounded fantastic and his piano playing seemed so much better than the last show I saw in Oxford. Wave a White Flag, She's Pulling Out the Pin were fabulous. And the set with Larkin Poe was stupendous. Elvis broke a string during Please Release Me which seemed to cause great amusement on stage. They all seem so relaxed in each others company and I think there is a noticeable lift in the performance when together on stage. It was very cosy inside the TV for Good Year For the Roses.

I was sat beside a woman and her two children who were probably in their early 20s. I noticed the girl, who was sat beside me, sang along with all the videos being show before the main set and they all seemed totally involved in the show. So great to see. We had a brief chat at the end and I'm sure she said her son was named Declan and the daughter was almost named Veronica!

I went around to the stage door afterwards despite having nothing to sign with me. Elvis had already signed all my vinyl at two previous shows but I first met Elvis at the De Montfort Hall back in 1983 on the Punch the Clock tour so I couldn't resist it. As I got there Larkin Poe were putting guitars in to their mini bus and I had a lovely chat with them. Such nice girls and even more gorgeous close up. They way the snuggled up to me for a photo made an old man happy.

Elvis came out just after, which was much quicker than after other shows. I noticed his car wasn't about and he was heading towards the tour bus. A very drunk bloke, who had been a bit intimidating to the few others waiting and I'm guessing was the one calling out nonsense during the show, went straight to Elvis and put his arm tightly around his neck/shoulder, pulling him close and talked directly into his right ear. Elvis smiled but looked uncomfortable and tried to edge away. Others stepped forward to get things signed but I got the feeling Elvis wasn't hanging around. He signed everything on the move, including the drunk guys ticket. I had a brief chat and a photo but I thought he looked quite tired and certainly not relaxed. As he passed Larkin Poe's bus he knocked on the window and said 'nice covering, thanks for that. See you tomorrow'.

I asked him if there was a book tour planned in the UK, similar to what is being planned in the States. He said they were looking a doing something but nothing definite. And I think he added 'it's proving a bit difficult' as he was getting onto the bus.

So that is me for this tour. It's been fun. I hope there is a book tour to come :D
Offshoreram

Post by Offshoreram »

Some photos from last night...

verbal gymnastics

Terrific review and pics offshoreham. Thanks and no doubt song number 6 will come to you.

I really rate Larkin Poe musically and they are incredibly friendly to chat to. My 7 year old has seen them twice now and they have been so sweet to her afterwards. Megan and Rebecca are also far prettier in the flesh so to speak.

Sulky - stop your moaning and get your eyes fixed! How can you be talking about My shoes keep walking when Elvis did PLEASE RELEASE ME BY ENGLEBERT HUMPERDINCK? That's something never likely to be repeated.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

According to the wiki that's the first EVER performance of My Shoes Keep Walking. And (De)tour firsts for Bedlam, She's Pulling Out The Pin and of course Release Me. He's Given Me Things is a nice touch too. Oh, and 'unidentified' doesn't get played much either... Someone has to help us on this one! (Recording? You tube?)
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
And No Coffee Table

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Oh, and 'unidentified' doesn't get played much either... Someone has to help us on this one! (Recording? You tube?)
Regarding the unidentified song, Richard said: "The lyric included 'Woman Must Be A Gypsy' (then something like 'She Sees Everything I Do') and also 'Woke Up This Morning Looked Up At The Wall'(?)."

Azmuda determined through detective work that similar lyrics appear in two songs by Furry Lewis: "Black Gypsy Blues" ("my woman must be a black gypsy, she knows every place I go") and "Creeper's Blues" ("I woke up this morning and I looked up against the wall"). These songs appeared on opposite sides of the same 78 in 1929.

Additionally, the title "Lighthouse" appeared on the stage setlist in both Cambridge and Leicester. (It was not played in Cambridge.) "Black Gypsy Blues" includes a line about a lighthouse ("My woman got a mouth like a lighthouse in the sea").

So did EC play "Black Gypsy Blues" and "Creeper's Blues"? Did he play a medley of both songs? Did he play a song called "Lighthouse" with some of the same lyrics? I don't know!

Maybe Offshoreram or Pars know?
Last edited by And No Coffee Table on Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goon Squad

Post by Goon Squad »

Offshoreram wrote:It was a fabulous show last night.

I love the De Montfort Hall as it was our 'local' venue for gigs during my formative years and a regular on the punk/new wave scene. I loved going to see Elvis there as well as the Clash and the Jam back in the 70s. I first saw Elvis there in 1978 and last night was my 7th time seeing him there.

He mentioned during the set that the hall was a place they used to visit regularly but hadn't been there for a while so it was good to be back.

Quite a few local references on the back screen from Gary Lineker (Elvis said he was colour blind so couldn't see Lineker as he was in blue and he could only see red. It was obviously a reference to Lineker's Everton days and Elvis is a Liverpool fan, although the blue shirt was actually a Leicester shirt.) Other references which I knew nothing about the connection were Richard Attenborough and Python's Graham Chapman. So seeing Elvis is quite educational. The main focus seemed to be Engelbert Humperdinck whose various images appeared several times. Elvis also covered his song 'Please Release Me', aided by Larkin Poe. He also named Leicester the weird sex capitol of the East Midland. So, lots of weird sex capitols around the country!

I'm racking my brain to think of the missing song on the set list at number 6?

I thought Bedlam sounded fantastic and his piano playing seemed so much better than the last show I saw in Oxford. Wave a White Flag, She's Pulling Out the Pin were fabulous. And the set with Larkin Poe was stupendous. Elvis broke a string during Please Release Me which seemed to cause great amusement on stage. They all seem so relaxed in each others company and I think there is a noticeable lift in the performance when together on stage. It was very cosy inside the TV for Good Year For the Roses.

I was sat beside a woman and her two children who were probably in their early 20s. I noticed the girl, who was sat beside me, sang along with all the videos being show before the main set and they all seemed totally involved in the show. So great to see. We had a brief chat at the end and I'm sure she said her son was named Declan and the daughter was almost named Veronica!

I went around to the stage door afterwards despite having nothing to sign with me. Elvis had already signed all my vinyl at two previous shows but I first met Elvis at the De Montfort Hall back in 1983 on the Punch the Clock tour so I couldn't resist it. As I got there Larkin Poe were putting guitars in to their mini bus and I had a lovely chat with them. Such nice girls and even more gorgeous close up. They way the snuggled up to me for a photo made an old man happy.

Elvis came out just after, which was much quicker than after other shows. I noticed his car wasn't about and he was heading towards the tour bus. A very drunk bloke, who had been a bit intimidating to the few others waiting and I'm guessing was the one calling out nonsense during the show, went straight to Elvis and put his arm tightly around his neck/shoulder, pulling him close and talked directly into his right ear. Elvis smiled but looked uncomfortable and tried to edge away. Others stepped forward to get things signed but I got the feeling Elvis wasn't hanging around. He signed everything on the move, including the drunk guys ticket. I had a brief chat and a photo but I thought he looked quite tired and certainly not relaxed. As he passed Larkin Poe's bus he knocked on the window and said 'nice covering, thanks for that. See you tomorrow'.

I asked him if there was a book tour planned in the UK, similar to what is being planned in the States. He said they were looking a doing something but nothing definite. And I think he added 'it's proving a bit difficult' as he was getting onto the bus.

So that is me for this tour. It's been fun. I hope there is a book tour to come :D

Great report and photos Offs ! Wish I'd been there to witness the Please Release Me. Must have been fab, a very special moment.
Funnily enough I was all primed to ask him the possibility of "a book tour" question after B'stoke on Fri but you've beaten me to it. Mind you, if he gets asked twice it might just twist his arm ! Think I'll go for it ! ( I'll let you know what happens ! )
And , once again,.........great review Offs !
verbal gymnastics

Lighthouse was a named song on the setlist.
Offshoreram

Post by Offshoreram »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Lighthouse was a named song on the setlist.
None of the lyrics quoted ring a bell but it was early in the set. I've been trying to track down Lighthouse to see if hearing it would spark something but so far no luck.

It was noticeable that quite a few were recording bits on phones and cameras so I'm sure someone out there has the evidence :?
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

And No Coffee Table wrote:
Otis Westinghouse wrote:Oh, and 'unidentified' doesn't get played much either... Someone has to help us on this one! (Recording? You tube?)
Regarding the unidentified song, Richard said: "The lyric included 'Woman Must Be A Gypsy' (then something like 'She Sees Everything I Do') and also 'Woke Up This Morning Looked Up At The Wall'(?)."

Azmuda determined through detective work that similar lyrics appear in two songs by Furry Lewis: "Black Gypsy Blues" ("my woman must be a black gypsy, she knows every place I go") and "Creeper's Blues" ("I woke up this morning and I looked up against the wall"). These songs appeared on opposite sides of the same 78 in 1929.

Additionally, the title "Lighthouse" appeared on the stage setlist in both Cambridge and Leicester. (It was not played in Cambridge.) "Black Gypsy Blues" includes a line about a lighthouse ("My woman got a mouth like a lighthouse in the sea").

So did EC play "Black Gypsy Blues" and "Creeper's Blues"? Did he play a medley of both songs? Did he play a song called "Lighthouse" with some of the same lyrics? I don't know!

Maybe Offshoreram or Pars know?
Wonder if it's a previously undocumented "Lost on the River" Dylan lyric? Although I don't recall Dylan covering or citing Furry Lewis before (though they have performed some of the same traditional material) I'm pretty convinced he would have been well versed in his work in 1967. So its not inconceivable he adapted a handful of lines from Furry Lewis for a manuscript at the time, I'd think.

Also, EC hasn't been shy about including LOTR material in his solo sets, even thus far unreleased compositions.
And No Coffee Table

The Gentleman wrote:Wonder if it's a previously undocumented "Lost on the River" Dylan lyric? Although I don't recall Dylan covering or citing Furry Lewis before (though they have performed some of the same traditional material) I'm pretty convinced he would have been well versed in his work in 1967. So its not inconceivable he adapted a handful of lines from Furry Lewis for a manuscript at the time, I'd think.
I'm pretty sure that is the correct answer. In the Lost Songs documentary (about 56 minutes in), EC mentions a song called "Light House Woman" while talking with T Bone about the songs recorded so far.
Attachments
light house woman.jpg
light house woman.jpg (67.42 KiB) Viewed 18629 times
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

What , no recording ?!!!