Elvis, solo, plays Cambridge, UK, June 18, 2015

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Elvis, solo, plays Cambridge, UK, June 18, 2015

Post by Man out of Time »

As one of the few (only?) stand up venues on the Detour 2015, this show has proved very popular.

We have the pleasure of Larkin Poe as the supporting act, and presumably they will then join Elvis on stage for a few numbers as usually happens.

Tickets are still available here, if you are tempted.

https://www.cambridgelivetrust.co.uk/co ... 6&p=979666

Who is going (apart from me)?

MOOT
Goon Squad

Re: Elvis, solo, plays Cambridge, UK, June 18, 2015

Post by Goon Squad »

Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ! 8)
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

We will be there.
Looking forward to a standing venue.
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
Bradwellboy

Post by Bradwellboy »

Can't make this one due to will be in the Bay of Bengal (not the curry house next to the post office in the high street) when he hits the stage.

Have 2 tickets going, if you want any let me know before 1 on on Wednesday as will be in the air after that ( I cry as I type)

After that contact sulky who has boxoffice ref number.

Enjoy you lucky people
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Ella Walker in the Cambridge News previews this show in an article published on June 5, 2015:

"Elvis Costello plays Cambridge Corn Exchange on Detour tour

Elvis Costello is considered one of the most important singer-songwriters to surface from the punk/New Wave era.

Never without a jauntily placed hat and a pair of outsized glasses, the musician is visiting Cambridge Corn Exchange on his latest tour named, erm, Detour.

Born Declan Patrick MacManus, he took his stage name from his dad, a jazz trumpeter who performed under the title "Costello", and Elvis Presley, and began gigging aged 17 after starring in a commercial for R. White's lemonade. As you do.

The 60-year-old has since forged a career that's seen him release a string of smash hit albums, including, My Aim Is True, This Year's Model and Armed Forces, and he's still fun enough to have appeared on Sesame Street, which is always a plus."

I can see this will have helped ticket sales no end.

MOOT
Bradwellboy

Post by Bradwellboy »

I fear here Watergate moment may go past her
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Setlist thanks to Nick:

01. (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
02. Watch Your Step
03. Accidents Will Happen
04. Ascension Day
05. Church Underground
06. 45
07. New Amsterdam / You've Got To Hide Your Love Away
08. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
09. Shipbuilding - on piano
10. Walkin' My Baby Back Home - seated
11. Ghost Train - seated
12. Beyond Belief - seated
13. She - seated
14. Watching The Detectives
15. When I Write The Book - including Everyday I Write The Book - dedicated to Nick Lowe and Bobby Irwin
Encore 1
16. Pads, Paws And Claws - with Larkin Poe
17. Love Field - with Larkin Poe
18. Hidee Hidee Ho - with Larkin Poe
19. That's Not The Part Of Him You're Leaving - with Larkin Poe
20. Blame It On Cain - with Larkin Poe
Encore 2 - inside TV
21. Oliver's Army
22. Alison
23. Pump It Up
24. Good Year For The Roses - with Larkin Poe
Encore 3
25. Side By Side - on piano
26. I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down - on piano
27. Jimmie Standing In The Rain - including Brother, Can You Spare A Dime?
28. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding? - with Larkin Poe
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Splendid evening. Will be interested to know what Sulky and anyone else who's seen other shows thought of it by comparison. It's the only show I'm getting to on de tour, and all of 15 mins on the bike from my house makes it a pretty easy option. Loved the whole show format, Elvis seems to be in a very happy place, his voice is great, his tales and reminiscences seem a healthy indication of the forthcoming autobiography (and surely there's a knowing nod in doing a medley of When I / Everyday I Write The Book?).

Slight disappointment that there was nothing that hasn't been played before on the tour in the set, compared to Hanley with 3 songs played for the first time on the whole US/UK tour. New Amsterdam has always been a favourite, so I loved that with the usual Beatles element incorporated. I thought the guitar part on Chelsea was bold and interesting and in general part of the interest throughout was hearing what he did guitar-wise, and piano-wise too.

Highlights for me were Detectives, simply fantastic sound and feel to it, Alison, on mic throughout, with a lovely sound and low-key style on the classic EC inlay Fender, Shipbuilding, wonderfully moving, and I also really enjoyed Love Field, Good Year For The Roses and pretty well everything that involved Larkin Poe.

Has anyone commented on a different verse in Shipbuilding that involved a reference to flowers? New one to me.

I make that my 14th show, starting in 1980. That's about as many as Sulky or Verbal on a single tour, but for me it seems quite a lot. First time seeing a solo show. Here's hoping he tours again with the Imposters and decides to come back to the Corn Exchange.

Sorry I didn't see you, Sulky. Did you record this? If so, will it be on Dime soon?
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Goon Squad

Post by Goon Squad »

Another really good show. Just got home, 1AM !
Saw MOOT and Sulky, and I got a set-list, and got it signed !
More later, gotta sleep !
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Glad you enjoyed it Otis - it's a shame I couldn't make it.

I agree with your comments about Elvis being in a happy place, his voice being in great shape and the interesting stories.

It's a shame you didn't get any first time your songs or world premieres. I'm hoping he's saving a few for Southampton tonight.

Which famous faces graced the TV screen?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Goon Squad

Post by Goon Squad »

There was certainly Peter Cook and Olivia Newton-John. I'll try and think of others.
Goon Squad

Post by Goon Squad »

Hope this works as it's way beyond my technical capabilities !

The set-list :
Attachments
Set List.jpg
Set List.jpg (114.37 KiB) Viewed 20778 times
abitoftap

Post by abitoftap »

Really enjoyable..but standing for over three hours is getting harder and harder!

I noticed the flowers lyric in Shipbuilding and wondered if it was my misremembering the words, as opposed to them being a (new?) variant. The New Amsterdam/You've Got To Hide Your Love Away mix was thrilling. I'd love him to do In My Life.

He's still got it in for Norwich though! I don't suppose anyone likes coming onto stage to a pissed off crowd, let alone having a pint of water/beer thrown over them, but if you've kept them waiting for over two hours, you're not going to be Mr Popular. It did mean the set started off at a blistering pace...and I did get to hear him sing You'll Never Walk Alone later when LIverpool finally won.

My first post on here since my Elvis gig 1 at the Penthouse in Scarborough in August 1977,
And No Coffee Table

What's this "Lighthouse" on the stage setlist?

The extra verse in "Shipbuilding" ("A small bunch of flowers is all that you get / and a box to bury the baby") has been around since at least 1984. I'm only aware of it being played at solo shows, and I think it's designed to replace the instrumental break featured in band performances.
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

verbal gymnastics wrote: Which famous faces graced the TV screen?
The other two were Richard Attenborough as Pinkie in Brighton Rock and Syd Barrett.
abitoftap wrote:
He's still got it in for Norwich though! I don't suppose anyone likes coming onto stage to a pissed off crowd, let alone having a pint of water/beer thrown over them, but if you've kept them waiting for over two hours, you're not going to be Mr Popular. It did mean the set started off at a blistering pace...and I did get to hear him sing You'll Never Walk Alone later when LIverpool finally won.
Agree completely. 10 year old grudge. Time to forgive and forget - come and play the Arts Centre Elvis - you'll get a good crowd.

Back to the Cambridge gig - I agree with what most people say - in particular the songs with Larkin Poe made him come alive. I've always enjoyed Pads, Paws & Claws and haven't understood some of the animosity to it here - it's just a jolly pop song! It was v. good last night. The songs that were different from my last attendance in Southend were not not really surprises, except for those with Larkin Poe - Love Field also good. My high point though was the solo version of Beyond Belief - was top class solo. I do think, though, that his voice showed strain on occasions and he wasn't as strong as in Southend. Basingstoke attendees watch out - History Repeats????
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
Otis Westinghouse

And No Coffee Table wrote:What's this "Lighthouse" on the stage setlist?
This, no doubt!

A couple of touches of 'if only' about the printed set, esp. 'Indoor', but hey.
And No Coffee Table wrote:The extra verse in "Shipbuilding" ("A small bunch of flowers is all that you get / and a box to bury the baby") has been around since at least 1984. I'm only aware of it being played at solo shows, and I think it's designed to replace the instrumental break featured in band performances.
OK. Is it a momentary lapse for the usually comprehensive EC wiki not to have a ref to this?!

All the people I know who were at the gig loved it. It is great when people who have only had a modest interest in Elvis see him and are bowled over. The moment that's stayed with me (and my wife) is Alison. Not sure I've heard it better.

His voice must have been truly awesome in Southend. For me it was very strong throughout. Would be interesting to compare to past gigs, I didn't hear obvious signs of any ageing in the last 10 years thinking back to the 2005 tour.

So the famous faces change nightly? Gloria Grahame was one who was namechecked, with a ref to her being his dream woman as a kid.

I enjoyed the text treatment on screen too, though I had to consciously not read it as you then start trying to identify songs and stop listening to the one being played!
verbal gymnastics

I wish I'd known All the rage was in the setlist. I'd have shouted out for it last night at Southampton. Looks like I'll have to give it a shout out at Basingstoke.
Goon Squad

Post by Goon Squad »

Agree with pretty much all the comments about the gig. Elvis seemed very relaxed and at ease and really seemed to be enjoying himself. His voice was maybe slightly not quite as good as it was at Southend but with all the gigs that's not surprising. After FK's comments about B'stoke I'm really keeping my fingers crossed now, as I'd completely forgotten about the previous cancellation there , and I'm looking forward to a humdinger to end the tour! I really enjoyed New Am/Hide Your Love, Ghost T, Beyond B, and ICSUFFD on the piano. He seemed much more comfortable on the piano compared to S'end when it seemed hard work and a lot of concentration for him. The songs with LP were fine, some worked better than others, but he does seem to enjoy singing with them. All in all a great show, lots of variety, although no "special rarities". Hopefully he's saving a bag full of them for B'stoke ! About a dozen of us waited at the Stage Door and as always he signed and posed for everything and even gave a tenner to a homeless busker who was asking for spare change ! Another cracking night,bring on Basingstoke............I can't wait !
verbal gymnastics

That busker will dine out literally and metaphorically on that. "Elvis Costello gave me a tenner once"...
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

And all I did was spend it on another Costello ticket ! :wink:
And No Coffee Table

Elvis apparently left a note at the venue for Mavis Staples, who played there July 1.

https://twitter.com/CambridgeCornEx/sta ... 56/photo/1
Cambridge Corn Exchange wrote:Hey @ElvisCostello we thought you'd like to know that your note was given @mavisstaples and was gratefully received!

Elvis Costello wrote:Happy to see this. Thanks to CCE. I KNOW you had to have a great night there. Until the next time. Love. E.C @CambridgeCornEx @mavisstaples
Otis Westinghouse

A nice touch from Elvis, there. I would have enjoyed seeing Mavis that night, the hottest night of the year, but I was busy drumming at another venue in town.